Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > General Discussion > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-23-2008, 04:32 PM   #1
Phynx
I'm Forever
FFR Veteran

Default Accessing User Documents

Okay, Izzy if you see this, please help me out XD

I did what you said, I moved the HDD into my brothers computer which works on it's own fine. He uses XP Home Edition whereas I use XP Pro Media Center 2005, don't know if that makes a difference. But anyway, I have it running in his comp, it shows up on "My Computer" I can go into and everything yet when I try to access MY accounts' documents file I get an access denied error. I tried the Unlocker program but it couldn't find and lock handles thus, still not letting me into the file directory. I don't know if XP Pro is the only one that can do this but tuts online say I can change the ownership of the folder and all subfolders within by changing the ownership in the security tab of the properties of the specified locked folder. Well... I'm on the administrator account on my bros computer and when I go to the properties of the folder, I don't have a security tab/button/or anything that deals with the security of anything. Quick question... any possible solutions for me besides trying this on an XP Pro system?

Phynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 05:03 PM   #2
Grandiagod
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to Grandiagod Send a message via MSN to Grandiagod
Default Re: Accessing User Documents

safe mode bypasses a lot of xp sercurity *shrug*
Grandiagod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 06:07 PM   #3
Izzy
Snek
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Default Re: Accessing User Documents

This is what i found on google.

To resolve this issue, you must turn off Simple File Sharing, and then take ownership of the folder:
  1. Turn off Simple File Sharing:
    1. Click Start, and then click My Computer.
    2. On the Tools menu, click Folder Options, and then click the View tab.
    3. Under Advanced Settings, click to clear the Use simple file sharing (Recommended) check box, and then click OK.
  2. Right-click the folder that you want to take ownership of, and then click Properties.
  3. Click the Security tab, and then click OK on the Security message, if one appears.
  4. Click Advanced, and then click the Owner tab.
  5. In the Name list, click your user name, Administrator if you are logged in as Administrator, or click the Administrators group.

If you want to take ownership of the contents of that folder, click to select the Replace owner on subcontainers and objects check box.
  6. Click OK.

You may receive the following error message, where Folder is the name of the folder that you want to take ownership of: You do not have permission to read the contents of directory Folder. Do you want to replace the directory permissions with permissions granting you Full Control? All permissions will be replaced if you press Yes.

7. Click Yes.
  8. Click OK, and then reapply the permissions and security settings that you want for the folder and the folder contents.
Izzy is offline   Reply With Quote