Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > General Discussion > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-1-2008, 11:23 PM   #1
Das Mustafah
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to Das Mustafah Send a message via MSN to Das Mustafah
Default New Computer - Need Input

tl;dr: Computer ordered. Now what games do I absolutely need?

Edit: Awesome. Computer is ordered. So...what are some good games that are out there for the PC? I prefer single player, but anything that's fun. I'm thinking about Doom 3 and Half Life 2 to start.

I'm getting a new computer, and I'd appreciate some input from anyone who knows more than I do about parts and such. I know pretty much nothing.

Here's the list of parts
Where you can see all the specs. It's on NewEgg.

I think I have everything I need... I'll be using my current monitor for the time being, and I'm obtaining an operating system elsewhere because, well, **** Windows Vista.

Edit: NewEgg tech support doesn't give any info about compatibility, and I think I have everything picked out that should work together fine but definitely let me know if you happen to catch something that won't work.

The hard drives are chosen specifically for capacity, and the disc drives are chosen specifically for read/write speed. Everything else is fair game, but I require quite a bit from the video card and processor.

Any and all input is greatly appreciated.

Last edited by Das Mustafah; 06-3-2008 at 02:16 PM..
Das Mustafah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-1-2008, 11:31 PM   #2
dandandamdandan1111
the baker man
FFR Veteran

Default Re: New Computer - Need Input

That 1TB hard drive will do you good. The graphics card is almost the same as mine, and mine works perfectly, and the memory is good also.

This would be a good buy, and I wouldn't regret it at all.
dandandamdandan1111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-1-2008, 11:36 PM   #3
Phynx
I'm Forever
FFR Veteran

Personally I've had the ultimate failure with AMD(failed on 2 personal comps and 17 at school buzzed out so yeah, I am deterred from AMD) but I'll help you out. I'm an Intel fan and also a newegg freak(I check the newest stock and build out custom comps almost every day LOL) if you'd like I could design a computer of the best quality and performance under a set budget. I'm a guru of the parts, I read intel's and nvidia's websites whenever they have a news story update :P So yeah, let me help you out.

EDIT - Also, if you want my opinion, you're wasting your time with a 1TB hard drive. UNLESS you download full length movies or are a packrat for MP3 files in the hundreds of thousands, then a 1TB drive is definitely not for you. Hell that 320 is way too much. I have a 250GB drive and I've used only 73GB's with a few thousand songs, 7 movies, and about 40 comp games... so yeah, overkill. Size isn't everything unless it's completely utilized.

Last edited by Phynx; 06-1-2008 at 11:41 PM..
Phynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-1-2008, 11:36 PM   #4
tsugomaru
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to tsugomaru

Why would you get a second hard drive that's smaller in size but not faster?

~Tsugomaru
When their heart is pierced by a bullet from a pistol...? No.
When they succumb to an incurable disease...? No.
When they drink soup made with a poisonous mushroom...? NO!!!
IT'S WHEN A PERSON IS FORGOTTEN...!!!
tsugomaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-1-2008, 11:55 PM   #5
UberMario
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to UberMario Send a message via MSN to UberMario Send a message via Skype™ to UberMario

Just a question after reading this, since i was like "WTF 210$ 1TB?" but uh, would having such a big harddrive make it less fast? I wouldn't think so, but I may be wrong.
Old 06-2-2008, 12:21 AM   #6
Das Mustafah
FFR Player

I have a son that recently turned a year old. The 1TB drive is a secondary for storage, while the 320 will be the primary drive.

Phynx, is there a different/cheaper Intel processor you could suggest?

The computer will be primarily used for gaming, since the best thing I can run on this is Counterstrike 1.5...which gets old.
Old 06-2-2008, 02:46 AM   #7
Phynx
I'm Forever
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Das Mustafah View Post
I have a son that recently turned a year old. The 1TB drive is a secondary for storage, while the 320 will be the primary drive.

Phynx, is there a different/cheaper Intel processor you could suggest?

The computer will be primarily used for gaming, since the best thing I can run on this is Counterstrike 1.5...which gets old.
Well yes, for a good dual-core that's similar to that AMD then go with the Core 2 Duo E8400 it's $30 more but will last a lifetime, but for a cheap ultra fast quad core running $215 go with the Core 2 Quad Q6600... it will blow that AMD out of the water for very little more money. Gaming won't be an issue.

BTW, don't go with raidmax cases. They are aesthetically nice but are all loud and flimsy, not the greatest. I have a raidmax case, I forget the series but it sucks ass. I would go with the Antec Nine Hundred. MUCH better built case with huge fans that don't make but barely a whisper.

Last edited by Phynx; 06-2-2008 at 03:09 AM..
Phynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-2-2008, 11:41 AM   #8
All_That_Chaz
Supreme Dictator For Life
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to All_That_Chaz

You will have performance problems with your CPU/Graphics card.

The rule of thumb is to always pair Intel with nVidia, and AMD with ATI. When you do something else the system tends to run slower and the graphics aren't as impressive.

That's the real reason I buy Intel CPUs, because ATI right now isn't competing very well with nVidia. It's not that their top of the line stuff isn't awesome, but just not as awesome as nVidia if you want a top of the line machine. I have a Core 2 Duo 2.13 Ghz and a 8600gt card and they work amazingly well together.
dammit chaz
Quote:
Originally Posted by FoJaR View Post
god dammit chaz
Quote:
Originally Posted by MalReynolds
I bet when you live in a glass house, the temptation to throw stones is magnified strictly because you're not supposed to.
All_That_Chaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-2-2008, 11:58 AM   #9
Das Mustafah
FFR Player

I decided to cave and go with a couple 500gb HDs to cut down on cost.

Debating on that E8400...

As far as the case, I'm not planning on moving my computer anywhere, and the case I have right now sounds like a jet turbine, so I don't think the Smilodon would be a problem...unless there are other forseeable issues. I like the look of that Antec, but the Raidmax has a fourth fan that the Nine Hundred doesn't.

Any suggestions about RAM? I'm just going for 4gb right now... not really sure what to look for.

Also, this might seem kind of basic, but some of the drives are OEM so I need some SATA and IDE cables. Is there any trick to those, or are they all standard?

Chaz: The motherboard and graphics card are both nVidia chipsets... Since I've saved some money on those hard drives maybe I'll look into Phynx's Q6600? The mobo and processor are both AMD, too, so it looks like the mobo, graphics card and processor should all work together nicely?

I need some help with the processor stuff. The AMD I'm looking at is 3.2Ghz, but that Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 says it's only 2.4Ghz. Which is actually better/faster? I also need to make sure it'll work with the motherboard... the Athlon is AM2, which works for the mobo I have picked, but the Intel is LGA 775.

Last edited by Das Mustafah; 06-2-2008 at 12:12 PM..
Old 06-2-2008, 12:52 PM   #10
Kenzya
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to Kenzya

SATA and IDE cables come with your motherboard.

Intel's Core 2's are better processors. Just make sure the socket type of the processor matches the socket type of the motherboard.

Just pick RAM that your motherboard supports.

Last edited by Kenzya; 06-2-2008 at 12:55 PM..
Kenzya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-2-2008, 01:11 PM   #11
All_That_Chaz
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

There's just about nothing on the market that needs a quad-core processor. From the rest of your specs I'd go with something like a Core 2 Duo 2.4 - 3.0 GHz.

But whatever decision you make, go with Intel to go with the nvidia stuff. Oh and by the way that axiom is only for graphics cards the motherboard need not be nvidia. In fact I prefer the intel boards, but that's your call. Yours is made by ASUS so you're set. ASUS boards rock.
dammit chaz
Quote:
god dammit chaz
Quote:
I bet when you live in a glass house, the temptation to throw stones is magnified strictly because you're not supposed to.
Old 06-2-2008, 01:14 PM   #12
Das Mustafah
FFR Player

I like ASUS... but the chipset doesn't look like it's right for the Intel processor.

Now I'm sort of lost. Chaz, you say Intel processor for nVidia graphics card? So I just need a motherboard that works with the Intel? NewEgg lists motherboards by AMD or Intel, and the ASUS I have picked out is an AMD. Will I need to find an Intel, then?

Last edited by Das Mustafah; 06-2-2008 at 01:18 PM..
Old 06-2-2008, 01:19 PM   #13
MalDON
Retired Staff
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to MalDON

The video card you have chosen is good (I have it) and it comes with the dvi-vga adapter. You shouldn't have to buy another one.

Edit: Actually just noticed the adapter you are getting is slightly different. Mybad.
MalDON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-2-2008, 01:19 PM   #14
All_That_Chaz
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

No your video card is fine. You have Intel/nvidia, you're solid.

EDIT: ninja'd by mal
dammit chaz
Quote:
god dammit chaz
Quote:
Old 06-2-2008, 01:32 PM   #15
Das Mustafah
FFR Player

So I pretty much just need a motherboard that'll go with the Intel processor?

I'm not sure about getting a new sound card... the one I have is Creative and it's 5.1, but I'm not sure about switching it over.
Old 06-2-2008, 01:41 PM   #16
MalDON
Retired Staff
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Yes, your motherboard has to support Intel Processors, more importantly quad core Intel since you want the Q6600
Old 06-2-2008, 02:02 PM   #17
Das Mustafah
FFR Player

I've added a motherboard that I think will do the trick... can anyone verify that the chipset is right?

Edit: Nevermind about the DVD and hard drives, I've got them all SATA now.

Here's the motherboard and diagrams of it.

Last edited by Das Mustafah; 06-2-2008 at 02:07 PM..
Old 06-2-2008, 03:38 PM   #18
Sh4d0wD3v1L
FFR Player

Send a message via MSN to Sh4d0wD3v1L

I ordered this mobo for a friend of mine, and when we plugged in the PSU, it fried, and we ended up getting an Intel. Just my bad experience w/ Asus.....

Oh yeah, like everyone else said, Intel > AMD (I have had VERY bad experience w/ AMD) and I think you're set, but let someone else verify the chipset.
Old 06-2-2008, 04:04 PM   #19
Squeek
let it snow~
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Squeek

Hey, I actually just got a computer from Newegg based on FFR and experienced computer folks.

First things first, don't ever let anyone tell you what your upper bound on hard drive space should be. I have nearly 1.5TB and I've filled about 600 gigs so far. It would be more, but back in the day when I only had 410GB, I had to burn most of it to DVD or delete it. This was when 120 GB was the standard, mind you. Times change, fast. Go big.

Mobo http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813121090
CPU http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16819115037
RAM http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820145183 (x2)
HDD http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822136178 (x2)
PSU http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817341002
Vid http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814130334

As a note, I decided to go with DDR3 RAM. Benefit and vice: It's fast, but hot. It's great, but not widely supported. That intel board I got was the only board that actually met the requirements for everything I wanted. I know I should've picked the board first and everything after that, but I was met with complications.

Also, the Video Card comes with VGA-DVI adapters, just like the Mobo comes with SATA cables (unless you get Open Box or OEM which is what you have above).

Another thing, don't call NewEgg to ask if it'll work. They won't tell you. They only sell the parts.

And another thing most people won't tell you. Most new motherboards don't have PS/2 input. You must have a USB mouse and keyboard to interface with it.

And another thing (srsly). You need a big case. You don't necessarily need lots of fans (my case only has 2 case fans, the PSU, CPU, and video card have their own) but you need space. Video cards about about 8 inches long now.

http://members.cox.net/mresqueek/Internal.jpg

That wall in the middle of the board is the video card. It's almost as long as the motherboard and comes within an inch of the hard drives.

And finally, most people these days seem to think that you don't need a sound card. I agree with that sentiment. The board comes with 7.1 surround (and more). Only if that fries would you need a sound card.

Last edited by Squeek; 06-2-2008 at 04:18 PM..
Squeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-2-2008, 04:35 PM   #20
MalDON
Retired Staff
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by djshox View Post
Excuse me sir, the following people would like to have a chat with you:

-3D Modelers
-Video Editors
-Video game level compilers
-3D Special Effects Rendering
-Particle Effects rendering
I agree, there is a lot you can do with a quad core. Although it's not the best for gaming.