Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > Life and Arts > Audio and Music Production
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-14-2014, 02:06 PM   #1
V-Ormix
Banned
D7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Default o hey I remixed a dream theater track

Whatchya think? I haven't done a personal music thread in a while so was like yeah sure. Took me a couple days to transcribe what I like about this song and taking liberty to compress the structure a bit.
https://soundcloud.com/ormix/bridges-in-the-sky-electronic-edit

Last edited by V-Ormix; 12-14-2014 at 02:08 PM..
V-Ormix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 02:24 PM   #2
hi19hi19
lol happy
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Default Re: o hey I remixed a dream theater track

I say all this not having heard the source being remixed (actually I might have but I forget it)

Throat singing-ish intro samples are... interesting haha.
0:48 atmospheric pad section kicks ass.
Synth that drops in at 1:33 is incredible. Reminds me extremely strongly of the Mass Effect soundtrack. Leads really nicely into the drums too.
At 1:45 the drums start to overpower everything, especially the cymbal. Drums need to be brought back in the mix and maybe made a little more... wet, I think.
1:57 instrument isn't doing it for me. The buzziness sticks out too much from everything else, this could also do with being a little bit more clean. At 2:40 it is dampened somehow and I like it much better, for example.
2:52 organ-sounding synth is sex.
The lead instrument that pops up after that fits the song much better than the buzzy one to my ears. I really like the section from 2:54 to 3:33 for that reason.
Starting at 3:33 all I can hear is the Ridley theme then at 3:45 I hear the fucking Skyrim theme rofl I know it has nothing to do with either of those songs but the resemblance is enough to fuck with me. Those parts are both really awesome though, no complaints about either.
3:52, 4:25 same complaint about the instrument. You have this nice atmosphere and powerful driving drum beat then this little fake-saxophone fart sound lead, it doesn't do it for me
4:18 cymbal is overriding the background a little but the actual sound in the background is incredible. With just a minor tweak to the drums here it would be awesome.
4:53 nice.
Ending is lol

Overall most of my complaints come from the drum mixing and overly buzzy synths in an otherwise fairly atmospheric track. To me most of it sounds fairly dreamlike/otherwordly and the buzzy leads just don't fit that to for me at all.

Cool stuff though.

Last edited by hi19hi19; 12-14-2014 at 02:25 PM..
hi19hi19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 02:40 PM   #3
V-Ormix
Banned
D7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

nice review, I get everything your saying. I think my tendency with the drum mix and buzz lead that turns into the chorus with some fx and detune automation was though most of these sounds lend them self to an ambient track, I kept trying to get the "edge" of a dream theater track in that I didn't use any distortion processing and certainly no dream theater mastering budget (my mastering experience sad cuz bad rip)

Only other thing than edge with the drums being in your face is its just a bad habit of mine to have them almost always 5-10 percent louder than they prob should be cuz i want a beeeat yo

Last edited by V-Ormix; 12-14-2014 at 02:53 PM..
V-Ormix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 04:48 PM   #4
yo man im awesome
soleil ardent
FFR Simfile AuthorD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

I'm happy you kept the throat singing

+1

Quote:
Originally Posted by choof View Post
you double dad loving dipshit
Quote:
Originally Posted by t-rogdor View Post
dammit now i have to smoke a picture of choof out of a bong
Quote:
Originally Posted by smartdude1212 View Post
I can't be the only guy who has wondered what it'd be like to menstruate all over the shower.
yo man im awesome is offline   Reply With Quote