Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > Life and Arts > Writing and Literature
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-20-2009, 01:46 PM   #1
nunocart
FFR Player

Exclamation The Wheel Of Time

HI, I'm a fan of the series "The Wheel of Time", by the late Robert Jordan, if you are too, post your ideas and/or thoughts in here.

Last edited by nunocart; 04-7-2019 at 07:10 PM.. Reason: damage control
nunocart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 01:56 PM   #2
devonin
Very Grave Indeed
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to devonin Send a message via MSN to devonin
Default Re: The Wheel Of Time

Each book took longer to come out, had larger print with larger spaces between lines.

He took time off his very successful series to go write some Conan books, possibly making the difference between finishing and not finishing the series before he died.

He wrote himself into a corner by making something impossible that I very strongly thing was supposed to be the case, and then couldn't figure out how to fix it.
devonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 10:21 AM   #3
MrRubix
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

Honestly, I felt that as the series went on, it kept losing more and more shine. I really enjoyed the first few books, but stuff like Winter's Heart (if I recall correctly) just fell flat for me.

My main complaint is that the entire series is like a massive handjob with no finish -- a huge buildup without a real climax.
MrRubix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 02:33 PM   #4
devonin
Very Grave Indeed

He did not finish the series before dying. By all reports he was going to end in book 12, which was half done, and his family knew all the pertinent plot information so "someone" is ostensibly finishing and publishing the book, but I don't expect it to actually tie everything up in any kind of useful way. He had WAY WAY WAY too many loose ends to try and tie up to do in any less, IMO, than 3000 pages.
Old 09-28-2009, 02:37 PM   #5
foilman8805
smoke wheat hail satin
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by devonin View Post
He did not finish the series before dying. By all reports he was going to end in book 12, which was half done, and his family knew all the pertinent plot information so "someone" is ostensibly finishing and publishing the book, but I don't expect it to actually tie everything up in any kind of useful way. He had WAY WAY WAY too many loose ends to try and tie up to do in any less, IMO, than 3000 pages.
The 12th 'book' is actually a trilogy called A Memory of Light. The first part of the trilogy comes out in hardcover this month.

WoT was taken over by Brandon Sanderson after RJ's death, and it will be completed with the trilogy totaling nearly 3000 pages as you presumed.

EDIT: First book of the trilogy is called The Gathering Storm.

Last edited by foilman8805; 09-28-2009 at 02:39 PM..
foilman8805 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 02:39 PM   #6
devonin
Very Grave Indeed

I'm curious how he's going to try and fix Demandred. I will maintain to the bitter end that RJ simply screwed up and nobody caught it.

Edit: Oh sweet jesus. Plot synopses for books written by Sanderson already:

Quote:
The main character in Mistborn is Vin, a 16-year-old thief on the streets of Luthadel, the capital city of the Final Empire.
The story follows her life as she comes into her own as one of the Mistborn, people who can use ingested metal particles to enhance their abilities, both mental and physical. She begins on a journey to find out who she really is as she fights against the Final Empire and overthrowing the Lord Ruler. With her help, along with the "crew", Kelsier, Vin's mentor, plans to lead a revolution and save the world at the same time.
Quote:
Alcatraz Versus the Evil Librarians is a young adult novel which tells the story of Alcatraz Smedry, a young teen who is always breaking things. After receiving a bag of sand for his thirteenth birthday, he stumbles into a strange set of events which begins with a group of librarians stealing his bag of sand, which turns out to be rather unusual sand.

The book starts with Alcatraz setting fire to his foster parents's kitchen.It is revealed that he has been sent to countless of foster parents, all ending up with Alcatraz "destroying" things that were precious to the people taking care of him. Ms. Fletcher, Alcatraz's personal caseworker then arrives at his recent foster parent's home and scolds him about destroying his foster parent's kitchen and leaves.

The next day, however, an old man knocks on the door and claims to be his grandfather and tells Alcatraz that he has a special,but powerful talent for breaking things. He later finds out that there is a special force called the Librarians, whose purpose is to conquer the remaining Free Kingdomers and rule the world.
And -he- is finishing the Wheel of Time?

Last edited by devonin; 09-28-2009 at 02:41 PM..
Old 09-28-2009, 02:43 PM   #7
foilman8805
smoke wheat hail satin

I always guessed the Mazrim Taim was Demandred in disguise, but I guess that's not the case. And as far as I know, he's the only Forsaken that hasn't been accurately identified in person, just by name and seemingly coincidental events. I don't know if that's what you're referring to really so please explain because it's been years since I've read the series.
Old 09-28-2009, 02:45 PM   #8
devonin
Very Grave Indeed

I think it is 100% certain that Mazrim Taim was supposed to be Demandred. But then in the end of book 9, RJ made it -completely impossible- for that to be so.

Small wonder that -that- was when he decided to take some time off and write his conan novels.
Old 09-28-2009, 02:47 PM   #9
foilman8805
smoke wheat hail satin

Well I'm sure it can turn into some dramatic plot twist where we find out he really is Demandred, but he's gone back from the Shadow to the Light or something like that and while appearing every bit hostile, actually wants to help Rand. WHO KNOWS LOL
Old 09-28-2009, 02:54 PM   #10
devonin
Very Grave Indeed

It wasn't any action on Demandred's part that made it impossible for him to be Taim, it was a statement, during events shown from Demandred's point of view, where we're hearing his own internal monologue where his ignorance of something makes it impossible for him to be Taim.

Demandred, while we knew exactly what he was thinking, didn't know something that Taim would have known for 100% certain.
Old 10-18-2009, 05:43 PM   #11
devonin
Very Grave Indeed

The Shadow Rising
Old 10-18-2009, 07:21 PM   #12
MrGiggles
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to MrGiggles Send a message via MSN to MrGiggles

nah homie

Word of God says Taim isn't Damendred and that's it. I don't think there's anything in the books that 100% guarantees he isn't. Though, if you could copypaste the passage you're thinking of it would be nice, I don't remember every bit of the 200000 page saga.

ps the pacing is so godawful in this series I like my handjobs to take less than thirty hours.
MrGiggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 08:42 PM   #13
devonin
Very Grave Indeed

Sure.
Old 10-18-2009, 08:58 PM   #14
devonin
Very Grave Indeed

From Demandred (Named as Demandred specifically)'s point of view:

Quote:
"Suddenly he saw people off to the right ahead of him through the trees, and sheltered behind a rough grey trunk. A bald-headed old man with a fringe of white hair was limping along between two women, one of them beautiful in a wild way, the other stunning. What were they doing in these woods? Who were they? Friends of Al'Thor, or just people in the wrong place? He hesitated to kill them, whoever they were. Any use of the power would warn al'Thor. He would have to wait until they passed. The old man's head was turning as if he were searching for something among the trees, but Demandred doubted a fellow that decrepit could see very far.

Abruptly the man stopped and thrust out his hand straight toward Demandred, and Demandred found himself frantically fending off a net of saidin that struck his warding much harder than it should have, as hard as his owm spinnig would. That tottering old man was an Asha'man! At least one of the women must be what passed for an Aes Sedai in this time, and joined with the fellow in a ring."
Note: That's Sarene, Corele, and Flinn, who was one of the very first Asha'man. He was the very first to be tested, he was tested personally by Mazrim Taim. Keep that in mind: Flinn was the VERY FIRST person to show up at the black tower for training, and was PERSONALLY tested and trained by Mazrim Taim, and had been around at the tower, being trained by Taim, and then under Taim's direct supervision and orders recruiting other men to be Asha'man, and Demandred had NO IDEA WHO HE WAS.

Last edited by devonin; 10-18-2009 at 09:01 PM..
Old 10-18-2009, 11:08 PM   #15
MrGiggles
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to MrGiggles Send a message via MSN to MrGiggles

Oh wow I totally missed that. Good catch.
MrGiggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 12:45 AM   #16
Go_Oilers_Go
<<Insert Title Here>>
FFR Veteran

Truly the best series I have ever read. Not gonna lie when they cleansed the Power and had that epic battle scene my brain exploded in awesomeness.
Go_Oilers_Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 05:12 AM   #17
NFD
FFR Player

Send a message via Skype™ to NFD

somebody's never read the twilight saga