Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > Life and Arts > Art and Graphics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-17-2009, 06:34 PM   #1
DMAshura
FFR Music Producers
FFR Music Producer

Default Sonic Gemini [Help Wanted]

Greetings, everyone.

You probably know me for music and stuff. But that's actually not why I'm here this time. I'm here because I'm also an avid Sonic fan, and I've begun development of a Sonic fangame called "Sonic Gemini."

First off, an explanation of the game. Sonic Gemini is a 2D, Genesis-style game, though with a twist. You play as a tag-team of two characters, able to (and required to) switch between them at will to complete the game. The first character is of course Sonic, but the second may be a bit of a surprise... Metal Sonic. The two bitter rivals, through interesting circumstances, end up forming a strained but rather effective alliance as they try to stop the newest nefarious plan of Dr. Eggman and his newest creation (and Metal's replacement), EggRobo-2.

You can have a look at ER-2 here, thanks to SonicWarriorTJ: http://img211.imageshack.us/img211/7...nalfvxcak9.png

Also, here are some concept arts so far:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...ulean1copy.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...J/Memento1.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...Coral1copy.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...olcanocopy.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...eonGambit1.jpg

And now, for the proof I suppose. The latest revision of our engine can be found at this link: http://www.mediafire.com/?kdcwm4iqmlm The engine is based on Damizean and RogueYoshi's 360 degree engine for Game Maker 7 Pro, but AeroGP and I have already begun making modifications, also with Damizean's help. The switching mechanism (which is pretty much the crux of the gameplay) is fully functional. Hit the Z key to try it out. (Other controls include C for jumping, X for Metal's projectile attack, ASDF for adding bursts of speed, and Q to rotate gravity 90 degrees.) Also, you can see (though incomplete) the Sonic and Metal sprites being made for our game.

Other than this engine, we have an ever-growing library of concept art (thanks of course to SonicWarriorTJ) and a lot of fleshed out, detailed design (though in textual form because I have absolutely zero artistic talent). I've already been working on a number of aspects of the game, from a detailed list of gimmicks for each Zone to the method of obtaining Chaos Emeralds to specific (and very unique!) boss mechanics to the evolution of the endgame. Mostly by myself.

So . . . we're looking for level artists. I admit that the game is rather ambitious in the aspect of number of Zones, but with the right help I don't think this would be a problem. I already have a few pixel artists here and there, but I most definitely need more help.

Anyway . . . if you have any questions about the project please let me know. Feel free to contact me at any of my messengers, I'm often online.

I hope that some of you may take an interest in the project and help bring it to a reality!

Bill Shillito
~DM Ashura~
E-mail: DMAshura@gmail.com
AIM: AstralAshura
MSN: DMAshura@hotmail.com
YIM: DMAshuraWolf
DMAshura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 07:32 PM   #2
makdaddy
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to makdaddy
Default Re: Sonic Gemini [Help Wanted]

I would love to help! Actually, I NEED to do something like this.

I'm on board, if you wanted to get more artists here then I can get them, but it's whatever

also one thing, I'm on a mac, so if you need anything that's .rar or .exe I can't help you, but I can do everything photoshop, etc.

Last edited by makdaddy; 02-17-2009 at 10:51 PM..
makdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 10:03 PM   #3
PsYcHoZeRoSk8eR
Network Security Analyst
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to PsYcHoZeRoSk8eR Send a message via MSN to PsYcHoZeRoSk8eR

This sounds pretty cool idea. Unfortunately, I don't have time to lend a hand on this project. I wish I did, but I just don't have the time. I hope this goes well as I know that these projects take a long long time to complete.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightdarkness
I'm light f**king darkness
PsYcHoZeRoSk8eR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 10:26 PM   #4
dean_machine
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Aw, Tails isn't the partner. That's a bummer. Anyway, that game still seems very cool. Too bad I'm not good at the kind of artwork required for this.

edit: I'm curious though if you have some sprites made already. I just would like an idea of how small of a scale this art work is, or do you know the dimensions of the game screen?

edit: I need to learn to read the entire post lol, I somehow skimmed over the game engine part.

Last edited by dean_machine; 02-19-2009 at 02:46 PM..
dean_machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 10:49 PM   #5
makdaddy
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to makdaddy

i think it's somewhere around 340 x 2XX? maybe 340 x 3XX

dean_machine, you should get in on this
makdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 08:47 PM   #6
dean_machine
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Well, I'm going to try to make some images to see if I can can come up with some good pixel art because it would be cool if I could and helped. I'm posting this because this deserves a bump just in case if there's any good pixel artist out there that missed this.

Last edited by dean_machine; 02-19-2009 at 08:59 PM..
dean_machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 12:26 AM   #7
DMAshura
FFR Music Producers
FFR Music Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean_machine View Post
Well, I'm going to try to make some images to see if I can can come up with some good pixel art because it would be cool if I could and helped. I'm posting this because this deserves a bump just in case if there's any good pixel artist out there that missed this.
Awesome. Contact me on AIM or email or something. ^^
DMAshura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 12:33 AM   #8
ShAiOnEi
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to ShAiOnEi Send a message via Yahoo to ShAiOnEi

Besides concept artist would there be anything else you would need help for this project? I am totally stoked about sonic and I would do anything there is to help.

Edit: I'll totally be one of your level artists as long as it doesn't take too much artistic skill but rather a little ingenuity.

Epic thread killer

Last edited by ShAiOnEi; 02-20-2009 at 12:39 AM..
ShAiOnEi is offline   Reply With Quote