Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > General Discussion > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-16-2005, 07:56 AM   #1
JurseyRider734
lil j the bad b-word
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to JurseyRider734 Send a message via Skype™ to JurseyRider734
Default I need help again. Functions shit i dont understand

This program will take the raw scores on the new S.A.T., convert these scores to their equivalent old test scores, and output the results. On the new S.A.T. there are three sections: Verbal, Writing, and Math. Each section is worth 800 points (therefore, the maximum point total is 1600). Besides y0our main function, you will need a function where the user of the program initializes the variables for each new section of the SAT. Meaning, you need three variables to hold the earned score for each of the parts on the new SAT (Verbal, Writing, Math). You also need another function that takes the scores on the new SAT and converts it to an equivalent total value on the old SAT. For example, if one scored a total of 1800 on the new SAT, what is the equivalent total score on the old SAT? Your last function will print out your results.

Please help me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afrobean View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by JurseyRider734
the fact that you're resorting to threatening physical violence says a lot anyway.
Just that you're a piece of shit who can't see reason and instead deserves a fucking beating.
JurseyRider734 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2005, 08:22 AM   #2
talisman
Resident Penguin
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to talisman
Default RE: I need help again. Functions (#$% i dont understand

uh, ignore the writing score, add the math and verbal together and that's what your score would be on the old SAT (the old one didn't have writing). Why do you need functions for this? Just seems like you could input some variables and go from there.

If the assignment is to convert what 1800/2400 would be in x/1600 (except for different numbers and stuff) then that's really elementary math. Cross multiply. (ps it's 1200). However, this is really really really wrong for the SAT conversion because it's like assuming there was a writing section on the old one when there wasn't. Go bitchslap your teacher for that...
talisman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2005, 08:40 AM   #3
JurseyRider734
lil j the bad b-word
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to JurseyRider734 Send a message via Skype™ to JurseyRider734

I dont even know how to do functions. I was lost a long time ago and I never caught up. I don't know how to do this. It's like telling someone to write a 10 page essay and they don't even know how to read. Thats kind of how i feel. The kid sitting next to me got it to work (he did the cross multiplying) but the teacher gave him an 80 because he didnt use the functions right or something.

First person to write out a correct code for me and is able to be online from 9:15-10:30am eastern time tomorrow for help gets a special prize.

Quote:
Quote:
the fact that you're resorting to threatening physical violence says a lot anyway.
Just that you're a piece of shit who can't see reason and instead deserves a fucking beating.
Old 12-16-2005, 08:46 AM   #4
talisman
Resident Penguin

tomorrow is saturday...

anyways, functions aren't all that bad. I don't remember the exact syntax but it's something like this:

int Converter (int a, int b, int c);

int main (0)

declare variables
get variable values from user
Converter (newMath, newWrit, newRead); <- names I made up for the score values
output the converted score
return 0;

int Converter (int a, int b, int c)
{
add up a,b, and c
convert
store answer in a variable
return that variable (which you then cout)
}
Old 12-16-2005, 08:52 AM   #5
talisman
Resident Penguin

in my opinion, this problem doesn't require functions at all... calling converter is kind of dumb since it could have just been written in there in the first place.

and re-reading the assignment blurb, it sounds like the teacher wants you to make three functions... god knows why.
Old 12-16-2005, 10:54 AM   #6
Moogy
嗚呼
FFR Simfile Author

Send a message via AIM to Moogy

You can't convert SAT scores between versions because they added a section, thus making scores basically incomparable.

Tell your teacher that and refuse to do it!!!!!!!!!!

^^^ vintage signature from like 2006 preserved
Moogy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2005, 01:29 PM   #7
JurseyRider734
lil j the bad b-word
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by talisman
in my opinion, this problem doesn't require functions at all... calling converter is kind of dumb since it could have just been written in there in the first place.

and re-reading the assignment blurb, it sounds like the teacher wants you to make three functions... god knows why.
It doesn't, but he's a fucking retard and is making us do them. And yeah, 3 functions. He's an idiot.

and I mean Monday from 9:15-10:30 X(

Quote:
Quote:
Old 12-16-2005, 06:56 PM   #8
talisman
Resident Penguin

well it shouldn't be that hard... the main thing is that you define your function before you start the program proper, and then actually write out the code for the function after the program. during the program you call the function making sure you use parameters of the type defined earlier.
Old 12-18-2005, 06:25 PM   #9
JurseyRider734
lil j the bad b-word
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

It isn't that hard, but I don't understand this stuff and I don't know how to set it up. I really don't know anything about it.

Quote:
Quote:
Old 12-18-2005, 06:43 PM   #10
talisman
Resident Penguin

http://cplus.about.com/od/beginnerct.../aa061102a.htm

start there...
Old 02-10-2006, 07:43 PM   #11
Evilcatt09
FFR Player

the reason hes having do those simple functions is because it is much easier to start out the simple one and then get to the useful, more complicated ones, plus if you want to convert more than one score it would be easier to just call the function again instead of retyping it again, and i guess it might save memory that way too
Evilcatt09 is offline   Reply With Quote