View Single Post
Old 09-9-2016, 07:06 PM   #262
MooMoo_Cowfreak
Abraxas Hydroplane
FFR Veteran

Send a message via MSN to MooMoo_Cowfreak
Default Re: The Video Game Mega Pack 4 (RELEASED!)

Second set of reviews, link to my first set.

All the files in this pack are quality, so instead of reviewing each file I’m just going to note what I think are some of the standout files.

I play without mines because I’m a stubborn old curmudgeon. Sorry Tsuka, I did try a few files with mines on but I am just too set in my ways now.

------------------------------------------------------------------

Dr. Wily Stage 1 (Scylaax) - Patterning was super fun
Castle Bleck (MTO): Really enjoyed this one, sick little bursts and patterns during holds
Factory Stage (cedo) - You’re killin it with these man

Fantastic Theater (Antronach) - What a jam. Your file was almost as fun to play as the song was to listen to

Fiercest Train (Nullifidian) - Well since there was already a Dream Theater file, it only makes sense that there should be a DJ Sharpnel file too! I enjoyed the majority of the file, felt it kinda lost steam towards the end though. Still a highlight for me

Final Boss (hi19hi19) - Fun 24th bursts and polyrhythms on the oni

Frontier Brain (Scylaax) - Now those are some inventive jumpstreams! Damn I really like this file, went back and played it on slower rates just to better understand and appreciate the patterns, great stuff

Gaze Out Over the Sea (Dj_Ossa) - Big fan of the oni, beautiful song, great sync, and fun one hand trill to cap it off

Gerudo Valley (Cedolad & MarioNintendo) - Fuck yea, I think that’s all I need to say

God's Garden (MacGravel) - Great song, fun, tasteful steps. I love me some PR.

Goon Twins (Nullifidian) - One of the crispiest feelings in SM is switching between 24ths, 16ths and 32nds, and this is chock full of that goodness. This file is brutal and maximalist in a good way

Ground Theme - Underground Theme (MarioNintendo) - You can definitely trust Nintendo to pump out the best remixes. Ground theme oni was godlike and crazy fun, polyrhythms like that just feel so good. Wasn’t so big on underground as a matter of personal taste, but ground made up for it tenfold

Hard Man's Theme (Tsuka) - I enjoyed the combination of jumpgluts and minijacks

High-Speed Beast (hi19hi19) - Great dump, will definitely be playing again. Very cool song, I think when it comes to dumps if I like the music I like the dump and this song works perfectly

Inner Goldfield (MarioNintendo) - Fresh file, hip bass

Jet Set Medley Future (MacGravel) - Good stuff, really enjoyed the bit with the holds on the right arrow. I want to make this into a pad file now!

Johnny C Bad (porkypink) - This file is chock full of goodness! Solos are definitely the highlight

Kara no Kyoukai (Gundam-Dude) - Props for stepping Melty Blood, Arcueid is my profile pic

Kingdom of Devotindos (MarioNintendo) - Well this little file grew on me. Deceptive sample music was tricky because this song was actually awesome

Krook's March (bmah) - I like surprise files like this one, the music didn’t really sound to me like it should offer much but you turned it into a great sim.

Life Flashing Before Ones Eyes (MarioNintendo) - A sound reminder that just straight 16th stream can be really hard too. Super fun to play those tempo changes. I am definitely interested in the game now!

Mag Mount (Choof) - Oh yea, this some good shit right here. Your files are kind of hit or miss for me, but when they I like them I usually like them a lot. Inventive patterns, insane polyrhythms that felt perfect despite the difficulty, and incredibly tasteful jacks. I actually remember you posting a little preview of this, glad it made it into the pack!

Magical Sound Shower (MarioNintendo) - I’m actually shocked that this was never in a previous VGMP. You did the song justice and then some, well deserving of the best sim award!

March of the One Legged Man (James May) - Chill as hell song, and really nice steps to accompany it. Very enjoyable!

Masquerade of Lies (Detrimentalist) - Top 5 file so far for sure. Great ass song and crispy jumpstream along with some nice solos makes for a winning formula! I hope the Dark Souls bg is a joke at the fact that this bg is lying about what game it’s representing, or something.

Minuit … Fond la Caisse (James May) - If there’s one step artist I can count on to choose unique music and step it in an entirely individual way it’s you. Love your style man

NameEntry - 2A03+N106 mix - (Nullifidian) - I love a file with good pacing, another top 5 file

Naval Battle (Tsuka) - Some hip rhythms in there, definitely enjoyed this file

Nemesis Ba'al Theme (XelNya) - Nifty song, very fun steps. I’ve said it before but I’m a sucker for minijacks, and this is one of those tempos that just feels sooooo good. Oni is an excellent challenge, love the ending there

Niagaro - Water Melody (Tsuka) - Big fan of the jumpgluts

post-dumps abstractly represent the existential nihilism that the song invokes in the listener with negative space, evoking the ephemeral nature of the mind - the journey of stepmania begins in hope yet soon becomes corroded into a dialectic of futility, leaving only a sense of dread and the unlikelihood of a new synthesis

Last edited by MooMoo_Cowfreak; 09-9-2016 at 07:07 PM..
MooMoo_Cowfreak is offline   Reply With Quote