PDA

View Full Version : Pro timing for FFR

Patashu
09-20-2008, 01:35 AM
My proposal is as thus:

In settings put a toggleable option called 'Pro Timing'. When on, while playing a song, the game will distinguish between the kinds of perfects you get, both 0-1* frame aways, 2 frame aways and 3 frame aways and note these with a difference either in word, colour or number (not sure what would be the least distracting). At the end it will tally up the numbers of each kind of perfects as well as overall perfects. It will not effect score in any way, unless of course it helps the player to hit more accuractely and thus avoid goods.

* 0-1 because arrows can be up to half a frame away from their true position, thus trying to track accuracy any more precisely is meaningless.

Go_Oilers_Go
09-20-2008, 01:43 AM
I think FFR would implement judges before they put this in. Sorry, but I think it would be too distracting.

[TeRa]
09-20-2008, 01:58 AM
There is a version of FFR out there, very old, no speed mods/key mapping and only like 20 songs, and it has 1 frame perf windows lol
Stricter than a ridic window.

Go_Oilers_Go
09-20-2008, 01:59 AM
;2806473']There is a version of FFR out there, very old, no speed mods/key mapping and only like 20 songs, and it has 1 frame perf windows lol

You wouldn't happen to have a link to this, would you?

http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd255/Ey3_Of_Sauron/Lol.jpg

F***! I quit this game!

who_cares973
09-20-2008, 02:01 AM
lol tera is right and its ****ing hard as hell D:

http://www.ddrspain.com/play_ddr_game.html&file=ddr

enjoy

EDIT: i also think this is a great idea support+1

championanwar
09-20-2008, 02:21 AM
There's an offline one aswell?

who_cares973
09-20-2008, 02:23 AM
yep downloadable ffr its fun ;D

Patashu
09-20-2008, 02:28 AM
;2806473']There is a version of FFR out there, very old, no speed mods/key mapping and only like 20 songs, and it has 1 frame perf windows lol
1 frame to either side or EXACTLY on the same frame the note is on?

[TeRa]
09-20-2008, 03:16 AM
Exactly the frame the note is on.
FFR only had 3 perf windows, so 1 window to each side would be the same as a perf.

FFR's timing windows are like this:
1/10th of a second perf / 3 frames
1/30th of a second good window below receptors / 1 frame
1/15th of a second good window above receptors / 2 frames
1/30th of a second average window / 1 frame

Miss
Good
Good
Perf - Receptors appear here
Perf
Perf
Good
Average
Miss

Edit: Oops forgot this, if any part of the arrow even remotely is above the receptor it's a good.

LLaMaSaUceYup
09-20-2008, 03:25 AM

0.o0.o0.o

lol judge 7 for ffr

Zageron
09-20-2008, 03:26 AM
IMO FFR needs a harder judge.

foilman8805
09-20-2008, 04:50 AM
Lol, you can pretty much drive a semi-truck through FFR's timing window, and I love it.

KA0Z R4VR
09-20-2008, 05:00 AM
Ok, so basically, what you are implying is like having Ridiculous Timing for SM. Marvelous windows get split just a tad bit more, but just enough to distinguish between a true marvelous [ridiculous] or just a "marvelous"

Idk, if I wanted that I would just play SM on a harder judge. FFR is unique with its timiing windows, random lag, mashing combos, and just about everything else. I'd leave it as-is.

EDIT: It's 5 in the morning and I just tried out that weird FFR site. Lol 200+ combo on Alla Turca first try. Weird, but highly "do"able.

sonic-fast-fingers
09-20-2008, 07:26 AM
Please, no one listen to Kaoz's advice on any subject. His only intention is to stab you right in the back.

On topic: This is a decent idea; however, I don't really play FFR the Game anymore so I don't care either way.

Plan_Bsk81127
09-20-2008, 07:33 AM

enjoy

Lol, this still has Chrono Trigger. Sweet!

Patashu
09-20-2008, 08:24 AM
Ok, so basically, what you are implying is like having Ridiculous Timing for SM.
Actually, it's like having pro timing for SM, hence the name. Pro timing in SM does not give word judgements but tells you how many milliseconds off you are (or centiseconds I'm not certain) instead.
It's not at all changing the nature of ffr, your scores still go in counting perfects as perfects and goods as goods, but it gives you more feedback and helps distinguish expert players' scores further, so that there's competitive reason to stick with a song a little longer after AAAing it. You could have pro timing competitions for example.

y0ttabyte
09-20-2008, 08:27 AM
FFR needs a higher frame rate before anything like this is considered.

Patashu
09-20-2008, 08:29 AM
The perfect window is still loose enough to be meaningfully differentiated further. You'd easily be able to see the difference between a shaky just barely AAA and a practically spot on AAA.

y0ttabyte
09-20-2008, 08:42 AM
I spose you could put a 1-frame window in the middle for a "Marvelous" rating of sorts... But how could you be assured that 1 frame is a reliable window size? I mean, with perfect being 3 frames wide if you have a good computer and don't hit too late you can be pretty sure you'll hit a perfect, whereas with a 1-frame window it might end up being more of a case of luck than skill.

KA0Z R4VR
09-20-2008, 08:47 AM
Please, no one listen to Kaoz's advice on any subject. His only intention is to stab you right in the back.

On topic: This is a decent idea; however, I don't really play FFR the Game anymore so I don't care either way.
Stick with the game, sonic. No flaming. That could get you banned. Quickly.

EDIT: Just read over some more posts. Yeah higher FPS would probably be a little more important before implementing a tool that can give you such accurate information. Sometimes I still get a little lagged and manage to strike out an AV when I know I hit the arrow on time...What if this ocurres during the "Pro Timing" feature is turned on?

Patashu
09-20-2008, 08:51 AM
People playing with marvs/ridics on stepmania can lag as well, you just have to deal with it.

makdaddy
09-20-2008, 08:54 AM

holy SH!T, this means so much to me.

This was the version of FFR I grew up on, yeah, god, memories, god, sweet

on the thread: no, it's fine

thechild
09-20-2008, 09:02 AM
LOL. I think I just combo'd the ending jack on chrono trigger.

KA0Z R4VR
09-20-2008, 09:05 AM
People playing with marvs/ridics on stepmania can lag as well, you just have to deal with it.
Well, with no connection, there is no "lag" but I know what you mean; yeah, any game is bound to have issues that might affect the outcome of the quality of the game. Stepmania chokes every once in a while and you get scores that are cursed with a green flag. But, programs like SM don't promise only accuracy, but also precision. You have more a more accurate source of information in general. Having "Pro Timing" then becomes an issue of precision.

Tasselfoot
09-20-2008, 04:10 PM
No stricter timing window until we change a few other things first.

1. increase framerate
2. allow customization of gap saved as cookies for users

without those 2, it is just too inaccurate to have an attempt at a more accurate timing window.

Patashu
09-20-2008, 05:32 PM
Customization of gap huh? Hmm

Tasselfoot
09-20-2008, 05:42 PM
mhmm. do you play every SM chart as is? unlikely. chances are, you F11 or F12 a bit depending on the file to fine tune the sync to your liking. it would mess with your MA in a big way if you didn't.

FFR would have the same issues. so gap tweaking is 100% needed IF we ever have a judgment that is 1 frame (or more if we increased the framerate). it's not as simple as SM, which doesn't have the frame issues that FFR does.

Zageron
09-20-2008, 06:30 PM
How about we get that frame rate up then?
When we look at SIU we see it's possible, that game doesn't lag and it's got 60fps.

tha Guardians
09-20-2008, 06:39 PM
You wouldn't happen to have a link to this, would you?

http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd255/Ey3_Of_Sauron/Lol.jpg

F***! I quit this game!

I guess this counts as a blackflag?
xD

Bynary Fission
09-20-2008, 06:46 PM
How about we get that frame rate up then?
When we look at SIU we see it's possible, that game doesn't lag and it's got 60fps.

But SiU isn't as CPU intensive as FFR - SiU only uses the mouse, with a little bit of the keyboard at the highest levels. FFR constantly requires input from your keyboard, which eats up more of your computer's resources.

And besides, if so many people lag with FFR at 30 fps, imagine what it would be like at 60, especially with Vista users like me (I don't lag now, but bumping FFR up to 60 fps probably would).

~Bynary Fission

Tasselfoot
09-20-2008, 07:30 PM
beyond that, it would require completely re-converting every level... as well as changing the timing window. it would also completely mess up any level that's over 16000/60 seconds long. around 4:40, IIRC.

Zageron
09-20-2008, 07:39 PM
beyond that, it would require completely re-converting every level... as well as changing the timing window. it would also completely mess up any level that's over 16000/60 seconds long. around 4:40, IIRC.
So that's why your saving 60fps for the next version of FFR?

Tasselfoot
09-20-2008, 07:58 PM
3rd style

makdaddy
09-20-2008, 08:03 PM
3rd style

divide by 0

basicdrummerman
09-20-2008, 08:10 PM

enjoy

^this has

this omg!
http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh269/basicdrummerman/nowaaaayyy.jpg

Netjet!
09-20-2008, 08:34 PM
how the f*ck do you pa that

Bluearrowll
09-20-2008, 08:45 PM
AVMISSES!

hi_top
09-20-2008, 09:42 PM
yep downloadable ffr its fun ;D

Where is said version of downloadable ffr?

Zageron
09-20-2008, 09:56 PM
Where is said version of downloadable ffr?
It's absolute crap, but just search for FFR download in google.

who_cares973
09-20-2008, 10:05 PM
It's absolute crap, but just search for FFR download in google.

there you go hi_top lol

sonic-fast-fingers
09-20-2008, 10:24 PM
Stick with the game, sonic. No flaming. That could get you banned. Quickly.

EDIT: Just read over some more posts. Yeah higher FPS would probably be a little more important before implementing a tool that can give you such accurate information. Sometimes I still get a little lagged and manage to strike out an AV when I know I hit the arrow on time...What if this ocurres during the "Pro Timing" feature is turned on?

I wasn't flaming I was only telling the truth. I didn't call you a gay douche ***. How do you get banned quickly? Is there a "ban" button and a "ban in 5 minutes" button?

But yes, higher FPS would be necessary to achieve what you were talking about.

Silver_Brian
09-22-2008, 11:41 PM
I wasn't flaming I was only telling the truth. I didn't call you a gay douche ***. How do you get banned quickly? Is there a "ban" button and a "ban in 5 minutes" button?

But yes, higher FPS would be necessary to achieve what you were talking about.

I was about to take your side, but then you made this post.

danny53x
09-24-2008, 09:45 PM
I like FFR how it is personally. I wouldn't want a harder timeframe than Perfect in a flash client... and I like watching my AAA count go up. It would be annoying to not be one of the best on FFR by having a AAAA count because I suck at AAAAing :'D.

Patashu
09-24-2008, 10:40 PM
Okay, this thread is redundant now since I realized the perfect window is only 1 frame wide, rofl. So you can't actually squeeze anything more out of it.

Tasselfoot
09-25-2008, 02:24 AM
perfect window is 3 frames... aka, .1 second.

Patashu
09-25-2008, 02:39 AM
oh damn

what am I reading then o.O I swear I read it was on the frame or one frame early only, or was that the first ffr build or w/e?

TC_Halogen
09-25-2008, 07:50 AM

Siggied. :)

But yeah, many things that have been suggested lately have been answered with the problem of framerates, it came up under the negative BPM discussion in the Batch thread, it came up under the speed mod modifications in the Bug/Suggestion forums, and now here.

Pro timing on FFR really seems like a wasted effort here, I mean, sure, more accurate judgments, yadayadayada, but it's going to be another one of those things that will cause arguments later OMG I CAN PASS THIS ON PRO TIMING.

Not to say that it's not a good idea, but after a while, it's more than likely just not be used.

L0NEvvolf
09-25-2008, 09:17 AM
Very bad idea, sorry the scoring would be all off.

Patashu
09-25-2008, 04:33 PM
Very bad idea, sorry the scoring would be all off.

I detailed in the first post that it would be an aesthetic change, not a functional choice.
What protiming would do is:
1. Instead of displaying perfect, good, average display how many frames + or - from the arrow you were
2. Tally all perfects/goods/averages up at the end as well as a list of all the 0 frame offs, 1 frame offs, 2 frame offs etc. Your score is still calculated based on your perfect/good/average total.

blindreper1179
09-25-2008, 05:32 PM
rebirth and tibs photoshopped pictures of having marvelous's in the game. it being the one frame inbetween the other two. i would see this happening, and agreeing with it. and it wouldn't effect your score like they and patashu said.