PDA

View Full Version : Type-O in FGO Songs

NumiGamer
08-1-2008, 03:34 PM
This may have been brought up before, but if it wasn't, every song in FFR labeled with a difficulty of 12 has a Type-O in it. They're called "For Guru's Only".

In case no one caught what's wrong with it, there's an apostrophe after Guru before the "s" that doesn't belong there.

Apostrophe's are only to be used when compressing words into contractions (I Have = I've), or when showing possesion (Susie's book).

According to the Actual Song Difficulties V2 thread, there are 14 FGO songs ( excluding vROFL) which have the Type-O, and the category for FGO songs is also "For Guru's Only".

What the hell does Guru posess? If not posession, what's Guru short for!?

If its just a Type-O, then will it stay or get corrected?

LLaMaSaUceYup
08-1-2008, 03:35 PM
For Gurus only, oh yes, you are right.
;]

Zageron
08-1-2008, 03:39 PM
Picky D:

But, perfection makes people like games more.

Commandersa1
08-1-2008, 03:40 PM
They already know about this, or I thought they did. :/

-Yukari-
08-1-2008, 03:46 PM
It took me a while to catch the Type-O thing... haha.

I see people do this all the time. "How many AAA's do you have?" GRRRRR. Hahaha.

There is an exception to this rule, though... "it's" and "its". Even though "its" is possesive, there is no apostrophe in it ;)

Tasselfoot
08-1-2008, 03:48 PM
yea. we know. blame synth's crappy grammar.

cry4eternity
08-1-2008, 04:39 PM
Yeah, The "For Guru's Only" is wrong, but "AAA's" is not necessarily wrong. You wouldn't type, "I received three As on my exams." As could be mistaken for as. Things like that commonly use an apostrophe, especially if there is a chance for misreading it. "I received three A's on my exams" is much more clear. I guess in the case of "AAAs" vs "AAA's," it could go either way because we all (should) know what an AAA is, and it wouldn't really cause any confusion.

Anyways, doesn't the same typo appear in "For Master's Only?" And since when is it "type-O" instead of "typo?"

EDEdDNEdDYFaN
08-1-2008, 04:45 PM
They are called typos, this topic is a trick

Commandersa1
08-1-2008, 04:58 PM
It took me a while to catch the Type-O thing... haha.

Oh, I really did not understand what he meant by "Type-O" until you said that. Typo does not equal "type-o." xD

dandandamdandan1111
08-1-2008, 04:58 PM
just label them FGO rofl

rushyrulz
08-1-2008, 05:24 PM
technically type-O is a blood type. You should call it a typographical error. =.=

TC_Halogen
08-1-2008, 06:20 PM
Yeah, The "For Guru's Only" is wrong, but "AAA's" is not necessarily wrong. You wouldn't type, "I received three As on my exams." As could be mistaken for as. Things like that commonly use an apostrophe, especially if there is a chance for misreading it. "I received three A's on my exams" is much more clear. I guess in the case of "AAAs" vs "AAA's," it could go either way because we all (should) know what an AAA is, and it wouldn't really cause any confusion.

Anyways, doesn't the same typo appear in "For Master's Only?" And since when is it "type-O" instead of "typo?"

Why do topics like these come up by someone else RIGHT AFTER I think about them? XD

It's actually only the Guru difficulty that has an error, if you pick an FMO, it reads "For Masters Only", as it should.

[TeRa]
08-1-2008, 06:27 PM
I see people do this all the time. "How many AAA's do you have?" GRRRRR. Hahaha.

In this case, I tend to type AAA's to separate the "s" from the "AAA", I hate the way AAAs looks, although, for the sake of others, I guess I'll start typing it right.

GWC_Flaming_Dingle..
08-1-2008, 06:31 PM
You're also supposed to put an apostrophe after years (1990's) and that doesn't apply to either of the rules, so I think "AAA's" is correct if it can be used with the same rule as the year thing.

EDIT: Oops, still using my Gamewhore account.

devonin
08-1-2008, 08:13 PM
Use in forming certain plurals
An apostrophe is used by some writers to form a plural for abbreviations, acronyms, and symbols where adding just s rather than 's may leave things ambiguous or inelegant. While British English formerly endorsed the use of such apostrophes after numbers and dates,[citation needed] this usage has now largely been superseded. Some specific cases:

It is generally acceptable to use apostrophes to show plurals of single lower-case letters, such as be sure to dot your i's and cross your t's. Some style guides would prefer to use a change of font: dot your is and cross your ts. Upper case letters need no apostrophe when there is no risk of misreading: I got three As in my exams,[23] except possibly at the start of a sentence: A's are the highest marks achievable in these exams.

For groups of years, the apostrophe at the end cannot be regarded as necessary, since there is no possibility of misreading. For this reason, most authorities prefer 1960s to 1960's[23] (although the latter is noted by at least one source as acceptable in American usage[24]), and 90s or '90s to 90's or '90's.

The apostrophe is sometimes used in forming the plural of numbers (for example, 1000's of years); however, as with groups of years, it is unnecessary: there is no possibility of misreading. Most sources are against this usage.

The apostrophe is often used in plurals of symbols. Again, since there can be no misreading, this is also regarded[who?] as wrong.[23] That page has too many &s and #s on it.

Finally, a few sources accept its use in an alternative spelling of the plurals of a very few short words, such as do, ex, yes, no, which become do's, ex's, etc.[25] In each case, dos, exes, yeses (or yesses) and noes would be preferred by most authorities. Nevertheless, many writers are still inclined to use such an apostrophe when the word is thought to look awkward or unusual without one.

Ah so.

Mans0n
08-1-2008, 08:27 PM
LoL devonin came to save the day and give us a grammer lesson :D