PDA

View Full Version : Old but Awesome Games

MrRubix
07-15-2008, 12:00 PM
ITT we discuss awesome old games like Doom, Wolfenstein 3D, Captain Comic, Hexen, Commander Keen, Cosmo's Cosmic Adventure, Lands of Lore (I and II), Heretic, Duke Nukem, Blake Stone, Blood, Catacombs, Rise of the Triad, Spear of Destiny, Chex Quest, Dark Forces, Descent, Terminal Velocity, Tomb Raider, Death Gate, Alien Carnage/Halloween Harry, Hocus Pocus, etc

And awesome non-PC games like Super Mario RPG, Megaman X 1-3, Zelda, Super Mario All-Stars, DKC 1-3, Chrono Trigger, Earthbound, Street Fighter, Starfox, Mario Kart, F-Zero, Final Fantasy series, Sonic, etc.

Basically, this thread is about all the awesome games you have fond memories of growing up.

Xx{Midday}xX
07-15-2008, 12:06 PM
I still play Super Mario World (Lunar Magic), Chrono Trigger, Kirby Super Star quite often. I beat Mother 3 (Earthbound 2 (?)) not too long ago.

Super Mario RPG... I didn't like it when I had to start over the game to get that hidden treasure box in the kingdom castle... where you had to jump on Toad while he was leading you to the king. Frog coin on top of the doors... wut.

Starshot
07-15-2008, 12:11 PM
Jet Moto 2. Anybody who's played that game knows how much of an adrenalin rush it was for it's time.

Ape Escape (The original). The control scheme was groundbreaking for it's time. Hell, it's still being used to this day.

dooty_7
07-15-2008, 12:31 PM
This last term at school, I was playing Chrono Trigger like mad on the SNES. Man that game is awesome, I almost failed an exam but it was worth it :P

dean_machine
07-15-2008, 12:47 PM
Super Mario Bros. 3 is my favorite game. It's just awesome. Favorite PC game, command and conquer: Red Alert. Well, I like Red Alert 2 a bit more, but that's newer. Both of the Red Alert's Heck March (Don't know if that word is censored) theme songs are awesome too. Red Alert 3 is announced that it's being made, that game will be so awesome I'm sure.

sjoecool1991 v2
07-15-2008, 12:48 PM
Super Mario World remains one of my favorite games ever.

MrRubix
07-15-2008, 01:04 PM
I love all the old Command and Conquer games :D I have every single one. Very fond memories of C&C and Red Alert. C&C was nice because I used to play multiplayer with my dad -- it was one of the few games he liked to play multiplayer on.

Starshot
07-15-2008, 01:10 PM
Red Alert 2 was amazing before they added the expansion pack. They pretty much nerfed my conscript rush strategy when they removed the cloning vats =/.

MeaCulpa
07-15-2008, 01:20 PM
I played the DKC series for SNES the most growing up. Other big ones for me were Gradius 3, Super Mario World and Tetris Attack. Once N64 came around, I loved Goldeneye, Mario Kart 64, Banjo-Kazooie (and Tooie) and the two Zelda games. I'm actually planning on starting a new Ocarina of Time level once things start winding down for me this summer.

dean_machine
07-15-2008, 01:26 PM
I got the First Decade Pack about when it came out. My laptop can handle General's graphics just barely, so I'm not getting the newer command and conquer games till I get a better, newer computer or else I would have all of them already. It's funny how the first Red Alert runs so fast on this computer though because on my old one when Red Alert was fairly new, it took a long while to load levels and sometimes the game froze for a few seconds quite often and now I have to have the game speed set to like the lowest speed for it to run normal and since the game is completely stored on the computer instead of the CDs (and it takes very little space lol) everything happens instantly. I think Red Alert 1 had better campaigns than Red Alert 2, but playing skirmish on Red Alert 2 is more fun, in my opinion. Tanya was way better in the original Red Alert too. I love the voice clips from the original Red Alert and from the expansion packs for Red Alert also.

edit:

oh yeah, GoldenEye for the N64 was so much fun. I was a killer with mines.

oh duh xD I also forgot about Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time, favorite N64 game

SethSquall
07-15-2008, 01:30 PM
Anyone remember Stonekeep? (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stonekeep)

Used to love that game.

Adamaja456
07-15-2008, 01:38 PM
i spent every summer playing super mario all stars on SNES up until i started highschool. favorite game i have ever played.

Xx{Midnight}xX
07-15-2008, 02:01 PM
Tetris, Starfox, and some good old mario party... All game that kept me entertained and still do on ocasion

TakeHayashi_XD
07-15-2008, 08:45 PM
i would say, pokemon stadium =), galaga, and N64 mario kart

sjoecool1991
07-15-2008, 09:15 PM

damn, I cant believe I was logged on with that account on the forums.\
Is it possible to delete your own posts?

StepmaniaGod6969
07-15-2008, 09:47 PM
I still remember the old original Oregon Trail. Played in like 2nd and 3rd grade all the time. :) Ya know the one that used to be on an old floppy disk like this.

http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa72/StepmaniaGod6969/Floppy_disk_5_25_inch.jpg

TakeHayashi_XD
07-15-2008, 10:32 PM
N64 mario tennis was a pretty good game

jeumaitre
07-15-2008, 10:45 PM
Ocarina of Time is still the best of the best for me. I'm turning it into a book too. Some poeple have read a few chapters and told me im doing great, so if you want to read it, send me a pm or something and ill give you the link.

smartdude1212
07-15-2008, 10:47 PM
Ape Escape (The original)

HOLY **** YES

TakeHayashi_XD
07-15-2008, 10:56 PM
some pokemon games like blue, red, yellow, etc. are still great games.

mightymic
07-15-2008, 11:13 PM

One of the best games :-)

But Top gear > All in my heart ;-)

TakeHayashi_XD
07-16-2008, 12:00 AM
i also like mario party games,
some of them are not that good but still fun

cry4eternity
07-16-2008, 12:05 AM
Diablo ONE. I still play it now and then, especially since the announcement of Diablo 3 recently. Also, the first 3 Sonic the Hedgehogs, Aladdin, Sparkster, and Aero the Acrobat were games I'll never forget playing (and beating :p) when I still wore diapers.

Xx{Midday}xX
07-16-2008, 12:06 AM
damn, I cant believe I was logged on with that account on the forums.\
Is it possible to delete your own posts?

Yes. Edit. Delete.

mightymic
07-16-2008, 12:11 AM
Diablo ONE. I still play it now and then, especially since the announcement of Diablo 3 recently.

Yeah the first Diablo owned all the others games when it got out. But I liked more Diablo 2.

TakeHayashi_XD
07-16-2008, 12:14 AM
are the diablo games a good series because
when blizzard stated the release of diablo 3
everybody was happy, and it seems pretty good

dean_machine
07-16-2008, 12:18 AM
There is no mario power-up greater than the tanooki suit.

I'm surprised so many people like Super Mario World more than Super Mario Bros. 3.

Mr.Nothing
07-16-2008, 12:20 AM
I agree with you dean.
What's better than becoming impervious to all damage for a few seconds?
I'll tell you what.
Becoming stone AND being impervious to all damage for a few seconds.

mightymic
07-16-2008, 12:21 AM
are the diablo games a good series because
when blizzard stated the release of diablo 3
everybody was happy, and it seems pretty good

Lol I can't believe you never played Diablo. This is one of the best game series! Now go and buy Diablo 2 if you want to successfully live your life.

TakeHayashi_XD
07-16-2008, 12:21 AM
omg that suit is the best

Mr.Nothing
07-16-2008, 12:24 AM
Lol I can't believe you never played Diablo. This is one of the best game series! Now go and buy Diablo 2 if you want to successfully live your life.

I have never played Diablo either...
D3 looks good though.

cry4eternity
07-16-2008, 12:25 AM

You mean Diablo 1.. D2 didn't live up to the standard as defined by many D1 fans :(.

Yoshiisland
07-16-2008, 12:29 AM
Donkey Kong 1 for SNES, old-school Pokemon, old-school Mario.

Love those games, even today.

TakeHayashi_XD
07-16-2008, 12:30 AM
i dont have enough money to buy the pc games, so i'll just add the game to my list of games to buy

mightymic
07-16-2008, 12:37 AM
You mean Diablo 1.. D2 didn't live up to the standard as defined by many D1 fans :(.

Haha! You are right. I said Diablo 2 because I was playing right now.

MrRubix
07-16-2008, 01:01 PM
Anyone ever play old PC/DOS games?

SnS
07-16-2008, 01:03 PM
I remember waiting for Duke Nukem Forever to come out since 2001. :)

DrKirth
07-16-2008, 01:07 PM
RICK DANGEROUS!

and AVOID THE NOID!

lol I loved those games.

dooty_7
07-16-2008, 01:09 PM
Chip's Challenge was amazing

MrRubix
07-16-2008, 01:21 PM
Duke Nukem NeverEver

TakeHayashi_XD
07-16-2008, 01:22 PM
diddy kong racing was a fun game^^

ledwix
07-16-2008, 06:21 PM
I loved Mystical Ninja: Starring Goemon. Great journey across most of Japan. Oh, and Ocarina of Time. Still love it. Those were my favorite 20th century video games ever, along with Super Mario World for SNES.

Oh yeah, Diddy Kong Racing. And Donkey Kong 64. Great. I liked playing the arcade games in it.

Hunter Whitner
07-16-2008, 06:42 PM
First off, in my opinion... The 64 was the best system created.... PERIOD

Now ima name some old games, that I still play: Starfox 64, Mariokart 64, Conkers Bad furday, FINAL FANTASY 7!!!, original mario, F-Zero-X, Tony Hawk 3, and 4.

Now ima name some games that were just great, that I no longer play: Crash 1, FIGHTING FORCE!!!!, Ninja, Mario bros 3, Pokemon, and Pokemon 2, Pokemon Red, Blue, and Silver, Mario bomb drop, Matt Hoffmans Pro BMX 2, Metal Gear 1, Banjo Kazooie, Bubbles, Marble madness, and paperboy.

Now: Anyone ever played Conkers bad furday, or Fighting Force? (THE ORIGINAL -_-)
They're the best!

TakeHayashi_XD
07-16-2008, 06:45 PM
street fighters are also good

eastsideman09
07-21-2008, 12:35 PM
Oh wow.... let me brainstorm...

Final Fantasy 7-9, Every single Crash Bandicoot game for ps1 (especially Team Racing), Spyro the dragon, Duke Nukem, Jet Motto 2, Mortal Kombat Trilogy, Tekken 2, Ape Escape, Megaman X5, Marvel vs Capcom, NFL Blitz 2000, Starfox, Pokemon Stadium....

I was deprived as a child and have never played a single pokemon game on Gameboy.... :[

melondah
07-21-2008, 12:45 PM
First off, in my opinion... The 64 was the best system created.... PERIOD

Now ima name some old games, that I still play: Starfox 64, Mariokart 64, Conkers Bad furday, FINAL FANTASY 7!!!, original mario, F-Zero-X, Tony Hawk 3, and 4.

Now ima name some games that were just great, that I no longer play: Crash 1, FIGHTING FORCE!!!!, Ninja, Mario bros 3, Pokemon, and Pokemon 2, Pokemon Red, Blue, and Silver, Mario bomb drop, Matt Hoffmans Pro BMX 2, Metal Gear 1, Banjo Kazooie, Bubbles, Marble madness, and paperboy.

Now: Anyone ever played Conkers bad furday, or Fighting Force? (THE ORIGINAL -_-)
They're the best!

AGREED, Starfox 64 is by far the game I played the most in my childhood besides all the other fun games. Especially the Pokemon ones!!! & Banjo Kazooie, ever play that? Same people who made Conkers Bad Furday, awesome game and yes I have played it. The 64 was the greatest thing as a kid to me and I still play it cause it's fun!

Of course I still love new games aswell =]

fido123
07-21-2008, 12:53 PM
I do have to agree the N64 had the best games going for it.

- Goldeneye
- Perfect Dark
- Star Fox 64
- Zelda: Ocarina of Time

I never had the patience to beat Banjo Kazooie. The music notes got me and I really wouldn't find it fun to go all the way back to every level to collect them all.

Kekeb
07-21-2008, 01:07 PM
Had to whip out my camera and floppy's to show some nostalgic respect.
Pssh, ProCurl. I also used to play a DOS flight sim all the time.
http://i34.tinypic.com/30jqiz7.jpg

melondah
07-21-2008, 01:40 PM
I never had the patience to beat Banjo Kazooie. The music notes got me and I really wouldn't find it fun to go all the way back to every level to collect them all.

That was always annoying. I remember running around just looking for notes. I didn't mind it cause the music was so cheery. lol

OMG its HIM
07-21-2008, 01:49 PM
perfect dark FTW

devonin
07-21-2008, 05:09 PM
Man, your "Old" games are not old at all. Perfect Dark? Jesus that was 2000, that constitutes old for you? Now -I- feel old.

Civilization 1 and 2 (1991 and 1996) - The best turn-based strategy games ever made

Dungeon Hack (1993) and the Eye of the Beholder series (1990 and on)

All the old D&D gold-box games, Curse of the Azure Bonds, Pool of Radiance.

Coming up a few years, I was a big fan of C&C and Red Alert but none of the sequels. That actually seems to be recurring for me. Loved D1, and D2 is one of the best games I've ever played, but I'm less than enthusiastic for D3. Starcraft is probably the most well balanced any RTS could ever get without just having identical sides (As per C&C) and I really don't see a point to a Starcraft 2

redwrist
07-21-2008, 05:10 PM
omega boost!!

OMG its HIM
07-21-2008, 05:22 PM
Man, your "Old" games are not old at all. Perfect Dark? Jesus that was 2000, that constitutes old for you? Now -I- feel old.

lol well i havent played it in awhile, which makes it "old" to me, but thats my opinion.

who_cares973
07-21-2008, 06:03 PM
frogger for the atari. i use to whore the hell out of that game

super mario world was also a game i whored

RubiedCross
07-21-2008, 06:39 PM
Zombies ate my Neighbors. Played that game ALL the time. Number 2 to that was the Street Fighter series. Then again, I'm only 14, so these games probably aren't old for you guys, haha.

For PC, definitely C&C, that game was amazing.I have all (or at least I think all) of the C&C and Red Alert games, other than the newest one. But, starcraft is definitely better than C&C for me, but I the disc, unfortunately enough. I'll probably buy another, along with starcraft 2. First ever PC game I played, though, was Candyland, hahaha. I loved that game. Started playing it when I was 2 years old, and beat it over and over again.

Wineandbread
07-21-2008, 06:43 PM
Liberation Day. Now that was a game. xD

The original Pokemon games were awesome. I don't even know how much time I spent on them... I think I played through both of them, and Yellow too.
The first Diablo was pretty nice too. But then I played Diablo 2 and thought it was meh. I guess Starcraft could be considered an old game, but I still play it, so...

StoneV
07-21-2008, 06:51 PM
How about Knockout! Championship Boxing, or Karate Champ.

fido123
07-21-2008, 08:12 PM

I actually just can't remember the name of my EARLY childhood games. Zelda II was good and a few others which I can't name...a few for the SNES would be

- Gaia (STILL haven't bothered getting to that secret level)
- Megaman X
- Zombies ate my Neighbors
- Mortal Combat

Also if somebody can tell me the name of these games I will be forever in your debt. Both for NES btw

- It's a boxing game
- First guy is a white guy
- Second guy is a black guy
- Third guy is an Asian muscle man who would occasionally go insane around the ring and hit you in one shot, you would have to hit him at the right time to one shot him
- Fourth guy is some fat guy
- Fifth guy (never beat him) had a skinny head which you could never punch.

Another one is where you must obtain something in order to get to the boss of the place blocked buy a red dude who would just stand there slashing. It was 2D and the first guy is where you fall down a tree and you go into a generic little room. First guy is a floating skull, second guy is a floating spiky head, and one of them further on is a spider.

Both those games were my personal childhood favourites but sadly I can't remember their names and I really want to play these again.

Bahamut-X
07-21-2008, 10:06 PM
SUPER METROID

_Ashuku
07-21-2008, 11:38 PM
Some old games for me would be well a bunch of old fighting games,
Rival Schools(needs a sequel),Street fighter Alpha,Pocket Fighter,and power stone.
Other old faves would be the original sonic,Banjo Kazooie,and almost all the PS1 crash bandicoots.

GangstaPlaya_12321
07-23-2008, 11:13 AM
I actually just can't remember the name of my EARLY childhood games. Zelda II was good and a few others which I can't name...a few for the SNES would be

- Gaia (STILL haven't bothered getting to that secret level)
- Megaman X
- Zombies ate my Neighbors
- Mortal Combat

Also if somebody can tell me the name of these games I will be forever in your debt. Both for NES btw

- It's a boxing game
- First guy is a white guy
- Second guy is a black guy
- Third guy is an Asian muscle man who would occasionally go insane around the ring and hit you in one shot, you would have to hit him at the right time to one shot him
- Fourth guy is some fat guy
- Fifth guy (never beat him) had a skinny head which you could never punch.

Another one is where you must obtain something in order to get to the boss of the place blocked buy a red dude who would just stand there slashing. It was 2D and the first guy is where you fall down a tree and you go into a generic little room. First guy is a floating skull, second guy is a floating spiky head, and one of them further on is a spider.

Both those games were my personal childhood favourites but sadly I can't remember their names and I really want to play these again.

I actually think the first one your talking about is super punch out!

But mine are the 7th Saga, NHL 95, Killer instant, darkman(Nes) Super punch out!, and a couple more but i can't think about it, but all these are for SNES except darkman

bluguerrilla
07-23-2008, 11:33 AM
7th Saga

wtf someone else played that game? Did you beat it?

My oldest favorite game is probably Bubble Bobble.

If I had a copy of Number Munchers I'd totally play it.

Crizo92
07-23-2008, 10:48 PM
galaga

This.

Cursebred
07-24-2008, 01:21 AM
I like Super Mario Bros.

GangstaPlaya_12321
07-24-2008, 10:11 AM

If I had a copy of Number Munchers I'd totally play it.

i wish, i got it when i was YOUNG about when i was like 7 or 8, than lost it after the part where you beat that boss in the castle, like right at the beginning, than i found an emulator, got to that part again and my computer crashed, and my computer's just getting through everything thats happening to it, so if i were to download it, i'd be mad if i got there and it crashed

Skelerex
07-24-2008, 10:32 AM

I have. I beat it with 2 characters. One was the Alien, the other was the Knight. I forget their default names. I believe the Alien's was Wilme though.

An old but awesome game is Captain Comic. I only personally know one other person that has played it without me showing it to her. Jazz Jackrabbit was awesome too. Then there are a ton of old fashioned first-person shooters I could name off.

Berserk for the Atari 2600 was grand too.

fido123
07-24-2008, 12:03 PM
I actually think the first one your talking about is super punch out!

It is holy crap. I loved that game an now I can play it again and hopefully get past that fat guy who I could never beat as a kid.

Kekeb
07-24-2008, 12:36 PM
Hell yeah, bubble bobble. The music was epic.
Same with the music in Blades of Steel.
Those two games being the ones I mention in every NES thread ;).

tuv
07-24-2008, 12:50 PM
I liked tales of phantasia and snatched

tuv
07-24-2008, 02:20 PM
and metal gear

Telvanni_guard
07-24-2008, 02:55 PM
I have a few favorites on the NES. Suprised noone said Punch-out.. but..

Crystal Mines (http://www.theoldcomputer.com/Libarary's/Pictures/NESGameCovers/Crystal%20Mines.jpg)- We dig dig dig dig dig dig dig in a mine.. the whole day through.. Watch out for golems and mummys too. They'll crush you. :(

Solar Jetman (http://www.zee-3.com/pickfordbros/games/covers/us_solarjetman.jpg)- The flying took a bit to get used to, but I really enjoyed it.. been a long time since I've played it.

The Adventures of Lolo (http://www.theoldcomputer.com/Libarary's/Pictures/NESGameCovers/Adventures%20of%20Lolo%201.jpg)- I'm a sucker for puzzle games. This was happy times.

Super Dodge Ball (http://www.tomheroes.com/images/super_dodge_ball_box.JPG)= It is extreme Dodge Ball complete with special rules and free-for-all mode. Do you really need me to say anything else?

Honorable mentions:
Chip'n'Dale: Rescue Rangers (Not sure if this has aged all that well or not.)
Jackal
Excitebike
Bump'n'Jump
Gyruss
Kirby's Adventure

SNES only has one gem I played more often than Super Metroid (and the occasional Megaman X):

Uniracers (http://www.racketboy.com/retro/uniracers-cover.jpg)- You're a unicycle. There's races and stunt challenges. While racing you do stunts to go faster. I never beat this one.

Honorable mentions:

Hook
Aladdin
Mortal Kombat 2 (It's much better than it's honorible mention spot.. It just wasn't a highly played game for myself.)
Sparkster

Oh. And before I forget. If you have are into puzzles and have never played this game, I suggest getting it.

http://content.answers.com/main/content/img/amg/games/drg000/g062/g06221f6sv4.jpg

It's a really great puzzle game that everyone should enjoy.

By the by. Super Mario Land was rather wonderful.

Genesis wise? UMK3. Or maybe Vectorman.

How the **** could I forget Earthworm Jim 2?
http://i13.ebayimg.com/01/c/05/ae/68/53_8.JPG

sp1nzoK
07-24-2008, 04:33 PM
Sonic the Hedgehog (got me into gaming when I was 4 years old), Doom 1 and especially 2 (completed it on Ultra Violence when I was only 8 years old), Fallout 1 & 2, Tomb Raider, bunch of sega megadrive games I have forgotten the names of, Shadow Dancer: The Return of the Shinobi was one of the ones I remember, Comix Zone was pretty fun, Diablo 1 & 2, ****load of others too, many of which are also on the list of original post obviously.

purplepopcorn
07-27-2008, 09:10 PM
Pajama Sam

My best friend and I would come home from grade school, go to my house, and play Kirby Super Star for months. Then we moved on to TMNT IV: Turtles in Time. We'd battle each other's pokemon on Red and Blue. Then we both got the N64, and all hell broke loose.

...until he moved 20 minutes away, meaning a different school.

FrozenAngel91
07-27-2008, 09:37 PM
Kirby's adventure, for the NES. I have so many fond memories of that game, especially the music. Fountain of dreams and butter building FTW!

SpoOkyMagician
07-30-2008, 04:23 AM
SUPER METROID

^ Best post I seen so far. =P

But yea anyway... Heres a few that I like/remember.

B.O.B (SNES)
The Legend of Dragoon (PS1)
Earthbound 1(SNES)
Bevis & Butthead (SNES)
The Lost Vikings (SNES)
Uniracers (SNES)
Mario Kart 64 (N64)
The New Tetris (N64) {I believe this was the title.}
The Next Tetris (PS1)
Any Mario Game(s)

Probably more I am forgetting... But that's just a few.

starfalcon176
07-30-2008, 06:10 AM
Guitar Hero: On Tour for the Nintendo DS. Man I used to play that game all the time in the early 90's.