PDA

View Full Version : O2Jam is now Free to Play, and the International Tournament

o2ross
12-1-2005, 11:47 AM
For those of you who have never heard of O2Jam, it is a computer game, originally from Korea (and spread to many other East Asian countries) based closely on Beatmania IIDX, but with a couple different twists. First, the fact that it's a computer game means that you're not using a controller, you're using your keyboard. The timing windows are also a little more lax, sort of like PIU. So what does this mean for you? It means that the songs can be much more complicated and fun.

The other element to O2Jam that makes it so fun is that it's actually an ONLINE game. If any of you are familiar with Gunbound, there are a lot of striking similarities and you'll be very comfortable with the setup very quickly. Playing with others is what the game is all about, and it prevents the game from getting boring, that and the song list of 162 totally free songs that you have access to immediately after downloading, 9 songs which you can buy with in-game currency, and 97 songs which you can buy with real money (averaging less than a dollar per song, some are even as low as a quarter). Like Gunbound, you can customize your character with tons of avatar items, including various clothing items like shirts, pants, shoes, cranium accessories, gloves and hats, but also you can customize your character's face, skin color, get instruments and even a little pet.

And best of all, there's no longer a monthly subscription fee for the game. Well, you say, what if I haven't played O2Jam in a really long time or even never before? Now's an awesome opportunity to pick it up! With more songs than ever, you won't get bored. Furthermore, I have found that people with experience in music games (especially IIDX, but also DDR and others) tend to catch on to O2Jam very quickly, some even passing the harder songs within their first week, many quickly becoming better than those who have played O2Jam for much longer.

On top of this announcement, the International community of O2Jam (i.e. those who do not have a native client) would like to announce that we will be holding a tournament in celebration. Now that Malaysian O2Jam is free again, we internationals thought it'd be high time that we got in on the tournament action, since the many O2Jam tournaments in Malaysia are all on-location. We also figured this would be a good way to spark some renewed international interest in O2Jam, since a lot of people seemed to be turned off by the monthly subscription.

So what does that mean? That means in the month and a half until the tournament (January 14th), you have plenty of time to get into the groove of O2Jam and become a serious competitor in the International Tournament. I highly recommend any international who plays O2Jam to sign up, because you never know, and I have a feeling it'll be a lot of fun, if, for no other reason, meeting all the other internationals. And you never know who you'll meet-- I've met a couple people on O2Jam that live within a couple hours, and one who actually lives in the same town as me, who I sometimes hang out with.

If you're interested in reading more about the International Tournament, or are interested in joining the International community, come visit us here! (http://www.o2jammer.com/index.php?page=tourney)

Hope to see you guys there =)

Moogy
12-2-2005, 08:08 AM
If by "complicated and fun" you mean incredibly BS and full of retarded freezes that make no sense at all and serve only to artificially inflate the woefully lacking difficulty of any song, then yes. Not to mention that it blatantly steals songs from IIDX.

o2ross
12-3-2005, 01:59 PM
You just think the freezes are "retarded" and "make no sense at all" because you're not used to them. They add a whole new dimension to the game. Once you get used to them, they can be one of the most enjoyable elements of the game.
As for stealing songs from IIDX, that's hardly the truth. I mean, yes, the Chinese version has quite literally stolen from IIDX, but then again, they've also violated a bunch of other copyright laws and just generally don't care. But the Korean and Malaysian version have very little that's stolen from IIDX. Off the top of my head, I can count very few songs that have some sort of basis in IIDX (like that R3 is a more a remix of Kakumei than Chopin's Revolutionary Etude...)

korny
12-14-2005, 04:14 PM
the game is simply amazing. i dont even play SM or ffr anymore because of how addicting it is. the freeze arrows are a ($#^* and the timing is very easy. the only complaints i have about it is when it requires me to do the SFHL and spacebar at the same time because it doesn't register with my keyboard. the songs are fun too. i've only been playing for two days but i still think that more songs would be nice.

Snapps
12-14-2005, 04:27 PM
The notecharts are made for fun, not technical like IIDX.

I want more technical rofl.

korny
12-14-2005, 08:59 PM
eh. im not very good at it so i like it to be fun. its confusing for me to go from one hand to two o_O

dancingmaniac3
12-14-2005, 09:34 PM
the game is simply amazing. i dont even play SM or ffr anymore because of how addicting it is. the freeze arrows are a ($#^* and the timing is very easy. the only complaints i have about it is when it requires me to do the SFHL and spacebar at the same time because it doesn't register with my keyboard. the songs are fun too. i've only been playing for two days but i still think that more songs would be nice.

how can you do SFHL and spacebar? theres only 7 keys, and it sounds like you have SDF - HJKL...unless u like skipped J or K or something. Anyway, go to the key config in the options menu before u create a song (top right) and change the keyboard keys, and then Test them. Alot of people use QWE-IOP cause it registers all 7 keys on most keyboards. try out diff. combinations to see which one works for you.

btw you have to hit Save before you can check the box to test the keys.

korny
12-16-2005, 07:43 PM
i meant sdf jkl my bad

omgwtfToph
12-20-2005, 09:53 PM
O2Jam is fun. I have many gripes about it, and my roots will always be IIDX as far as keysounded rhythm gaming goes, but O2Jam is definitely fun.

linus
12-22-2005, 04:47 AM
No...
I just have to agree with moogy.
All hard notechart are so obessed with freezes, and multiple keys shits that force you to use gay setup like sdf space jkl. Some charts are a complete joke, eg The chart of identity spells the korean of "die" at one part that's full of jacks with multiple keys. what the hell. Plus the terrible graphic and unneeded storyline and characters... You can clearly see how unserious is the production of the game. That's why DJMax is introduced not long after O2jam.
Well, but it surely has some good music/chart. Maybe 40 to 50 of them. As long as you stick to those songs, it's fun... But you will get boring after sometime.

Silver_Brian
12-22-2005, 02:09 PM
Go and ruin our fun why don't you.

korny
12-22-2005, 09:43 PM
thats what linus does.

linus
12-27-2005, 10:34 AM
I was just saying the fact.