PDA

View Full Version : Help with Note Colors?

Dronak
08-6-2004, 11:35 PM
I did a quick search and it didn't look like this was covered so I'll ask since I'm having some trouble. I guess it applies to any game using colored notes (like some songs on FFR), but it's been more of a problem in StepMania so I'll post it here. Maybe a simple/stupid question, but could someone clarify how the note coloring works? They go by placement of the note, not the duration, don't they? Like a straight run of 8ths alternates between the 4th color and the 8th color. They don't all get the same color even though they're all 1/8 notes. I've seen those runs often enough. So a straight run of 16ths will be colored as 4th, 16th, 8th, 16th, and repeat and it's up to you to keep track of whether the 16th colored note is just after the 4th or just after the 8th? Sometimes this is hard to do when the pattern leaves gaps and isn't a straight run. What do they do when you get triplets? Would it be 4th, 12th, 12th, repeat? I haven't seen that much if at all, but I'm wondering for future reference. Sometimes what I see and what I hear don't seem to match up right, so I thought I'd get some help and make sure I understand how it works.

BTW, some song I was playing used colors way down the list for the skin I was using (Note+), but these seemed to fall right on the beats. They could have been so close I couldn't tell, but is it possible for a song to override your noteskin and use colors the way it wants to? Because I swear it looked like a song or few were switching the color patterns back and forth.

Let me know if this was hard to understand and I'll try to use colors (saying what's what) instead. Thanks in advance for the help.

CypherToorima
08-6-2004, 11:39 PM
Yeah, like, red=quarter, blue=eigth, and so on. I has nothing to do with the duration.

Moogy
08-7-2004, 09:42 AM
4th = Red
8th = Blue
12th = Purple
16th = Yellow
24th = Pinkish Purple
32nd = Orange
48th = Green
64th = Light Blue
192nd = Black

You will never ever see a 192nd, and 48ths and 64ths are very rare. You'll pretty much only see 4ths - 32nds in normal play.

The duration doesn't matter; the actual note is what the color is.

tnyhwk900
08-7-2004, 10:03 AM
I've always wondered why 192nd's even exist. They are never used.

Afrobean
08-7-2004, 12:27 PM
Does DWI allow them?

Dronak
08-7-2004, 12:51 PM
Yeah, I looked at the files for the Note+ skin and wrote down the colors myself when I started seeing more than just 3 colors for the 4th, 8th, and 16th notes. It's a nice skin, too, pretty simple and the colors are fairly solid making them easy to see. I had trouble sometimes with the default ones that almost seemed to blink different colors. With the speed of some of these songs, I'd be surprised if they used anything faster than 32nd notes. That should be plenty fast at a high tempo.

OK, then I was right. A run of 16ths would be colored 4th, 16th, 8th, 16th or for this skin, red, yellow, blue, yellow. Then a yellow note can be either the 2nd or 4th note in a set of 4 16th notes. That's where my problem is, I think. When it's not an even run and they syncopate the rhythm, I tend to lose track of which note the yellow 16th is in the sequence (2nd or 4th). And it will be even worse for faster notes. Oh well, I guess I'll just have to pay more attention and practice. Thanks for the info.

Moogy
08-7-2004, 02:53 PM
Does DWI allow them?
Yes.

You cannot make them in Stepmania's editor, btw. The only way to make them is go in a DWI and type:

`192 numbers go inside of these things'

Simple, right?