PDA

View Full Version : Creating FFR step files?

kylegusek
03-29-2011, 09:22 PM
Whats the best way to go about doing this (preferably on Mac)? Can I use SM's built in editor, or are there better alternatives?

psychoangel691
03-29-2011, 09:29 PM
Most people use the SM editor. Another really good option is DDream. Carlos actually has a tutorial up on how to use it.

EDIT: Here's the links

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7RtVlgj5Nc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xsStDFZZTNI

who_cares973
03-29-2011, 10:57 PM
too bad ddream doesnt work on mac so you're screwed sorry :U

this reminds me, i need to remake those videos lol

leonid
03-29-2011, 11:07 PM
Don't worry; ddream works fine on Wine for Mac (o:

http://i.imgur.com/gU01v.png

Hurleyisgod
03-29-2011, 11:09 PM
I think ddream is amazing personally. I should consider posting some of my files someday instead of just playing them myself xD

But doing it in SM isnt that bad at all, just do whatever you want.

sakura080789
03-29-2011, 11:12 PM
yeah ddream is amazing use that

justin_ator
03-29-2011, 11:28 PM
/SM Editor user. Haha.

kylegusek
03-30-2011, 01:11 AM
Wine for Mac? That's Intel only though right? I'm on PPC. :/

I've been using SM, and I have to say, I've gotten used to it quick. Within the last couple hours of messing around I already have a solid 45 seconds finished, It should be done within the next couple days.

I've also made sure to pick an artist under the "blanket permissions", to be sure my step file is considered when finished. :)

kylegusek
03-30-2011, 11:02 PM
I remember songs seem to play more slowly on SM than on FFR, and that I had to set SM to 1.5x speed to compensate. The same is true for the song I'm stepping. Is FFR's default note speed faster than SM's? I want to make sure my notes will play at the speed I expect them to.

Also, I have the song name and artist correctly labeled, is there any other details I should add when the song is ready to submit (ie. difficulty level)?

EDIT: I have the BPM set to 192, and (so far) I'm using only 1/4 and 1/8 arrows.

bmah
03-31-2011, 12:36 AM
Please, please refer to this first: http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/showthread.php?t=72047

Regarding your immediate questions:

- First of all, you might want to know the difference between a cmod and xmod. A cmod is an option in which the scroll rate of the arrows are constant. That means you won't visually see arrows flying faster at you if the BPM of the song increases, and so on. That, however, applies when you use an xmod. FFR's speedmods are cmods, and what you are using (1.5x) is an xmod. For sake of convenience, I suggest you at least test your files with cmods. You have such options available right next to xmods in the song options menu. I don't see why you need to match your speedmods to FFR's default speed. Speedmods are visual options that are entirely preferential to the user and doesn't directly affect the outcome of your stepping.

- Please refer to the above link for requirements on submitting a file for FFR. No, you do not need to accurately specify a difficulty level; someone else will sort that out. And finally, files for FFR are currently NOT being accepted. Please bookmark the queue/batch discussion thread and keep an eye out when the next batch is opened.

Hope that helps!

kylegusek
03-31-2011, 02:18 AM
Sure thing! Thanks for the info. I'll still be posting the file somewhere in the near future for anyone who wants to give it a try in StepMania. :)

As for the speedmods, I realize they don't affect the outcome, but I've gotten used to how fast the notes travel, and how spaced apart they are I guess. On StepMania's default setting they just seem to go to slow and are too bunched together for my taste.

bmah
03-31-2011, 02:31 AM
If you plan on submitting the file to FFR, making the file openly available to the public will null any chances of getting it accepted. You can privately ask someone to review the file for you, however.

edit: you can make your own cmods in SM; that is, you can set you own scroll speed. The default ones available at c200 and c400 are indeed a bit slow. Make higher cmods.

kylegusek
03-31-2011, 03:39 PM
I already made a thread for it with a download link, seeing as submissions aren't being taken right now. :P I'll still be making more soon.

rushyrulz
03-31-2011, 04:02 PM
edit: you can make your own cmods in SM; that is, you can set you own scroll speed. The default ones available at c200 and c400 are indeed a bit slow. Make higher cmods.

This may be ridiculously hard on a mac

or ridiculously easy. Seems to never be a middleground on macs lol

kylegusek
04-1-2011, 11:28 AM
As far as I remember the mods are just in a file you open with notepad (don't remember the name) right? Stepmania on Mac is one of those few apps that actually uses a real installer to create a program file with everything in it. It's the same as Windows, except there's no package exporter.