PDA

View Full Version : The Power Of Dreams

Kibblre
03-4-2011, 11:26 PM
I had doubted any correlation between dreams and reality until my mother told me a story (which is true and she was just notified of).

Growing up, I had a friend a year younger than me by the name of Mikey. Him, a couple other friends, and I were a nice little group of friends. But, as I moved out of the town where I grew up I had stopped talking to him (except on a yearly vacation we do with his and a couple other families). This brings me today. My mom's friend (Mikey's aunt) just called her and informed her that one of Mikey's friends was in the hospital. Mikey planned to work out with said friend and another friend that day, but he stayed home. The hospitalized friend told the other (I'm sorry if it's getting confusing keeping up with who's who) of a weird dream he had last night. He claimed he had a bad headache in the dream, threw up, then his head exploded. A weird dream indeed. After the work out and during the drive home, the kid started complaining about a migraine-like headache. When they get home, the kid suddenly has to throw up. Shortly after, he passes out. He's rushed to the hospital and the doctors found out a blood vessel in his head exploded causing him to slip into a coma.

Now like I said, this is true and just recently happened. This isn't meant to be a sob story of any kind, I just am shocked at the dream aspect of this story. I'm not a very spiritual or religious person, but this calls me to question my beliefs.

Does anybody else have any strange stories about dreams that have correlated with reality?

duddychuck@yahoo.com
03-5-2011, 12:10 AM
Thats never happened to me but I have Deja-Vu of things that have never happened all the time, kinda freaky when it happens

ScylaX
03-5-2011, 06:00 AM
Well the unconscious mind has a superior anticipation and reflexion methods so it doesn't surprise me that he could anticipate the explosion of his blood vessel. Even though the unconscious hypothesis that have been made up in the dream can't be 100% sure, let's say the probability of this happening (I mean, an anticipation that reveals to be true) isn't as low as you could expect.

Spenner
03-5-2011, 08:58 AM
I think subconsciously if you want something to happen, you'll do your best to make things happen. After 750 pages have been written/re-read in my dream journal I can count many times where I'd gone for something suggested to me first up front in a dream.

devonin
03-5-2011, 09:36 AM
Are you suggesting that this person made a conscious choice to have a blood vessel in their brain explode because they wanted to make their dream be true?

cry4eternity
03-5-2011, 09:53 AM
Freaky story maybe, but don't forget to account for confirmation bias. How about all the dream premonitions that never came true? Make enough guesses and one of them is bound to be right.

Calcium Deposit
03-5-2011, 01:03 PM
I keep having this recurring dream:

I'm sitting on the edge of my bed, staring at some photo on my wall that isn't normally in my room but is there in the dream.
Then I feel a hand grip my shoulder and rip me backward.
Then I wake up.

Kibblre
03-5-2011, 03:20 PM
Freaky story maybe, but don't forget to account for confirmation bias. How about all the dream premonitions that never came true? Make enough guesses and one of them is bound to be right.

It's a true story, I talked to Mikey yesterday about it.

rushyrulz
03-5-2011, 03:24 PM
Perhaps it was a coincidence?

customstuff
03-5-2011, 04:33 PM
I've never had anything to that extent. But like Duddy said, I have Deja Vu about things that haven't happened at least a few times a week.

Reincarnate
03-5-2011, 05:02 PM
lol the obvious solution to why this dream happened is way over your guys' heads

leave the religion at home, boys

ScylaX
03-5-2011, 05:15 PM
lol the obvious solution to why this dream happened is way over your guys' heads

Wasn't I right ?

reuben_tate
03-6-2011, 04:01 PM
Well dreams do tend to be about things that are currently happening. Maybe this observation can be extended to our body's health as well. What I'm trying to say is that there is a possibility that things of our body's knowledge, but not to our conscience, can slip into our dreams. So maybe the body knew about the blood vessel in the brain, maybe it was getting clogged with something. The body's involuntary system is aware of this, but not the said person's conscience. So maybe, information from our body's involuntary systems (breathing, digestion, etc) can be passed on to our dreams.

aperson
03-6-2011, 04:15 PM

Here I'll try to one-line it:

There was an embolism or a slow degradation of a blood vessel that was generating palpable effects for some time before he had a stroke, but he was too busy doing other stuff while awake to notice it, so he had to get the information fed to him through a more abstract route in his dreams.

Edit: Damn 3 lines on my computer.

reuben_tate
03-6-2011, 04:18 PM
Here I'll try to one-line it:

There was an embolism or a slow degradation of a blood vessel that was generating palpable effects for some time before he had a stroke, but he was too busy doing other stuff while awake to notice it, so he had to get the information fed to him through a more abstract route in his dreams.

Edit: Damn 3 lines on my computer.

Nice tl;dr. Thanks.

ScylaX
03-8-2011, 03:39 PM

More simply :
The unconscious mind has a cenesthesic value.

edit : oh wait maybe it's too abstract

blade_anime
03-10-2011, 03:16 PM
I have a recurring dream about losing a tooth, to the point that in the dream, I check to see if I'm dreaming (I always conclude that I'm not.)

S**t.

Frozen Beat
03-11-2011, 07:25 PM
cool story bro?

Just joking.

Do we really know enough about our subconscious to go into dreams?

blade_anime
03-12-2011, 09:47 PM
Nope. I actually have abnormally good teeth, I brush regularly and have never had something such as a root canal. And it would be an exaggeration to call it a nightmare.