PDA

View Full Version : Guide for making a truly GOOD file

+Firehead+
11-27-2008, 07:55 PM
removed. stargroup = b&

tha Guardians
11-27-2008, 08:18 PM
Nice guide, but making a stepfile the "essence" of a song is difficult with such limited capabilities in a game.

robertsona
11-27-2008, 08:25 PM
i was tempted to stop reading when he said all ffr files.
i DID stop when he said colors of arrows invoke feelings in the player.
stargroup is just some attention-starved douche who went off the radar and now wants attention; i don't care anymore.
this guide also sucks
it tells the things about stepfiles, but doesn't explain how to do them or use them properly.

ninjaKIWI
11-27-2008, 08:34 PM
Robert you're an idiot.

sumzup
11-27-2008, 08:34 PM
Interesting stuff; I think he has some good points...less bandwagon-jumping and more innovation can't be a bad thing.

robertsona
11-27-2008, 08:38 PM
Okay maybe I overreacted but wow if you hang around at the Batch/Discussion thread and actually listen to stargroup like i and many people do, stargroup's endless whining gets annoying. He's just so ****ing pessimistic and such a douche about it, blaming it singly on Tass. Does FFR have problems? Yes. Do the judges sometimes accept bad files? yes. But stargroup's "time" is up, and i just really don't want to hear anymore out of him. he's a smart dude and has good points, but he's just a douche about them. What stargroup needs to do is chill the **** out and go outside for a while. HINT: it's a ****ing game. Calm down. Of course, he probably won't read this so it's useless, but damn.
plus everytime conversation about him around here dies out he has to go make threads like these

Quigly
11-27-2008, 08:38 PM
Well there go my chances of ever become a good step-maker. By stargroup's standards anyway. >_>

ninjaKIWI
11-27-2008, 08:43 PM
Lots of bull****

Hint: It's a ****ing game, calm down.

robertsona
11-27-2008, 08:45 PM
Hey stargroup wanna blowjob ;*
My arguments are about his annoying behavior and his idiocy and pessimism overall. His are about the game.

ninjaKIWI
11-27-2008, 08:50 PM
I think he's a douche too, you just don't have to post about it all the time.

robertsona
11-27-2008, 08:51 PM
i never post about it except for now; you must be mistaking me for someone else, unless i misinterpreted your post

ninjaKIWI
11-27-2008, 08:54 PM
I guess I am, because I always see people complaining about him.

abstractrevenge
11-27-2008, 08:55 PM
stargroup hasn't gone off the map what are you talking about?

he posts at ODI, he just doesn't care about ffr.

He also makes many good points, just because you don't like him doesn't mean you have to be just as big a douche as him to point it out.

Although I did laugh pretty hard at that section about colors

robertsona
11-27-2008, 08:56 PM
Yeah he used to be cool until he started getting angry with FFR and Tass, and then he kept getting banned for flaming and stuff and then just hated FFR overall. It's weird how he says he doesn't care about FFR, but he keeps making threads like these. No hard feelings to you. He makes good points, he just needs to condense them until less douchey posts. ps this is like an AIM convo now.
edit: i also answered the post above me kinda too lol tho it ninjad
EDIT2: off the map is referring to ffr
EDIT3 zomg super edit: also stargroup's posts really interest me because they take this simplistic game and think about it as an art form. it really shows how deep these simple things can be for people. but i'm taking this a little too far now i think w/e

ninjaKIWI
11-27-2008, 08:58 PM
I actually agree with the colours thing...

robertsona
11-27-2008, 09:01 PM
I actually agree with the colours thing...

Really? I really couldn't care less if the file I was playing had all red or all cyan notes.

TC_Halogen
11-27-2008, 09:01 PM
SG, while he knows how to make steps well from his own STYLE, not everyone fits into it. I'm sorry--but hearing SG say how he's the only one who can make good charts is absolutely annoying and tiresome.

that's a different story because that would be colorful to watch, and the different colors would invoke different feelings as you play the file.

ARE you KIDDING ME? Colors have NOTHING to do with how a person feels while playing the file. Most of the people play for the sake of playing. Sure, certain "innovative" sections of a file will make a person think, "Hey, that was pretty cool", or "I like that", but it is by no way a good thing to do. Intentionally changing the rhythm of a section dumb because it just makes it that much tougher for a person to do well on (AKA MISRHYTHMS, HELLO).

Robert you're an idiot.

Do you make charts? No? Then don't question charting techniques. ;)

Ok, that was a bit uncalled for then. I actually agree with Robertsona somewhat, the ideas are flawed. While some of it is actually accurate (I definitely would tell people to read I.4 in the guide), other parts of it are completely stupid (like the 2nd half.).

Also:

blue rose and final step have bns, but they work well and feel great that way.

Yeah, but if someone else's file were to have BNS, you'd more than likely chastise them.

Coolboyrulez0
11-27-2008, 09:05 PM
I love what conversation with or about stargroup turn into.
Also this guide is very vague and should be worked on.

robertsona
11-27-2008, 09:06 PM
SG, while he knows how to make steps well from his own STYLE, not everyone fits into it. I'm sorry--but hearing SG say how he's the only one who can make good charts is absolutely annoying and tiresome.
yeah all of his posts are like "your files are bad, here's how you should step them"
the problem is, he always says something like "all files suck, including mine" so when you say something like what you said, he'll say "but i said my files suck" even though his posts basically say "my files are good yours are bad".

Yeah, but if someone else's file were to have BNS, you'd more than likely chastise them.

The weird thing is, for a person like stargroup who incorporates files off music theory, you'd think he'd hate stuff like BNS. Also, whenever I play Blue Rose, though I love the file, I always see the BNS as a flaw in the file, and it kind of annoys me.

TC_Halogen
11-27-2008, 09:11 PM
The weird thing is, for a person like stargroup who incorporates files off music theory, you'd think he'd hate stuff like BNS. Also, whenever I play Blue Rose, though I love the file, I always see the BNS as a flaw in the file, and it kind of annoys me.

I thought about this too. It's weird how he stands up so much for music theory for every file, when in theory, his offset is anchored to an 8th note. Really contradictory of him.

robertsona
11-27-2008, 09:13 PM
Probably last word for me:
Guides for making a "good stepfile" will never work very well
Guides like Patashu's that show the bare-bones are good, and guides like ducky's that show the beginning of stepfile theory are fine, but further than that, it's really subjective (objective? forget which one).

tha Guardians
11-27-2008, 09:41 PM
Guide to making a good stepfile:

Don't make a bad stepfile.

CASE CLOSED. Solved another one, boys.

jimerax
11-27-2008, 09:48 PM
actually, he sent this to me multiple times.

well, in summary,
1. denying FFR
2. vague guide
3. biased good files list

tha Guardians
11-27-2008, 09:52 PM
Jimerax, you make some damn good files.
Did you make MWv2?
If you did, you're definitely the best stepper here.

Oni-Paranoia
11-27-2008, 10:31 PM
A good file is a file you enjoy.

A bad file is a file you do not enjoy.

Whats considered a good file is a file that's enjoyed by the majority of the community.

Therefore, there is no key to making a "good" file. Everyone steps differently, most players have different taste of what's depending on the files they have and play.

Thread name = fail
Thread = Good attempt
My font = Annoying

gnr61
11-27-2008, 10:56 PM
like your solo "guide," this fails to explain anything whatsoever about actually making a truly "good" file.
saying "find da balance between da hands" and "be creative and unique n.n" along with a list of files is not a guide :evil:

HighAndr0id
11-27-2008, 11:05 PM
Nice story, I especially liked the part about kil and glove. However, the main characters seemed under developed and I just didn't connect with them at all. decent use of literary devices. Could have used more sword fights. In conclusion, lol stargroup.

Tasselfoot
11-27-2008, 11:11 PM
locking this and deleting the first post. not even bothering to read it. stargroup is beyond a permabanned user at this point... his IP has been banned. posting on his behalf will be taken as an attempt to ban evade on his part and will result in your account being permabanned.

got it?

good.