Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > Gaming > Video Games
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-17-2009, 08:26 PM   #1
DotKritic
Forum User

Default Nintendo Wii - Epic Mickey

Warren Spector finally reveals his long-awaited Disney project - a huge Wii-exclusive action platformer starring the world's most famous mouse.

Wii: Epic Mickey - Warren Spector & Mickey Mouse Video

GameInformer Epic Mickey site

Quote:
Originally Posted by Development
The game is said to be a Mickey Mouse platformer that involves the painting and erasing of levels and a struggle by Disney's lower cast of characters to dethrone the mouse. No official announcements from Disney regarding the game have been made. However, the October edition of Game Informer has a teaser advertisement regarding this title, saying an "epic" game will be accompanying the magazine's November redesign, with the image of the cover presenting the stereotypical Mickey Mouse ears in the form of ink blots. In addition to this announcement, Disney Interactive Studios has sent out press invitations to announce 'an iconic new title' on October 28, 2009 in London. The November edition confirms Epic Mickey's existence. Mickey will be receiving a character redesign in this game, which will attempt to give him a "retro" look.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plot
A long, long, time ago, the sorcerer Yen Sid created a pen-and-paper world for his forgotten characters, accesible through a mirror. Mickey accidently trips through the mirror, spilling paint thinner and twisting the world. He managed to escape without Yen Sid knowing, but it had its consequences. The Phantom Blot usurped power from Oswald the Lucky Rabbit and sent the world into ruin. Years later, Mickey is kidnapped by the Phantom Blot and sent into the world. Oswald, his will lost, has forumulated a plan to destroy the mouse. The Mad Doctor works closely with the Blot, creating robotic Beetleworx, made to intimidate and twist Mickey's vison of his friends. He also creates 'buddies' for Oswald, looking like Donald Duck and Goofy, as Oswald wants to recreated Mickey's life for himself. Mickey must stop the Phantom Blot, gain the trust of Oswald and save the forgotten world.
Platform: Nintendo Wii
Style: 1-Player Action
Publisher: Disney Interactive Studios
Developer: Junction Point
Release: Fall 2010

FFR Member Since December 17th, 2004
DotKritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 08:52 PM   #2
AC1speakerbox
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to AC1speakerbox Send a message via MSN to AC1speakerbox
Default Re: Nintendo Wii - Epic Mickey

Who the **** is Junction Point?
AC1speakerbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 09:01 PM   #3
DotKritic
Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC1speakerbox View Post
Who the **** is Junction Point?
That's what I thought when I first read about the game.

Quote:
Junction Point Studios is a video game developer based in Austin, Texas. The studio was established in 2005 by Warren Spector and Art Min, prominent figures in the game development industry. The new studio is based around several former employees of Ion Storm, where Spector and Min previously worked.

Junction Point has not yet released any games, but is currently working on an unspecified "fantasy" title. Few details have been released about the game as yet. Junction Point has indicated that its game will be a "combination of action and roleplaying, traditional narrative and player choice", and will use Valve's Source engine. It will be delivered through Steam, Valve's digital distribution service. It has also been revealed recently that the game will be episodic, in a similar vein to that of SiN Episodes and Half-Life 2 Episodes.

There has been speculation regarding the name "Junction Point" — apparently, this name was used by a canceled game at Looking Glass Studios, where Spector once worked. According to available descriptions, this game was a "massively multiplayer fantasy role-playing game, changed in midstream to a single-player science-fiction role-playing game." In March 2007, Spector explained the name in an interview:
Quote:
When I was with Looking Glass, the last thing I worked on with them on was a concept that I came up with along with Doug Church and some other guys. It was a very different approach to multiplayer online games called Junction Point. I loved the name and concept. I'm not revealing anything too dramatic since we're not doing the game, though I'd love to some day, but the name spoke to me more as a name for a studio than a name for a game. [...] It's also nice that it abbreviates to JPS, which rolls off the tongue.
On July 13, 2007 it was announced that Disney Interactive had acquired Junction Point Studios. They have since worked on Epic Mickey, a Wii game starring Mickey Mouse.

FFR Member Since December 17th, 2004

Last edited by DotKritic; 10-17-2009 at 09:22 PM..
DotKritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 03:10 AM   #4
nordia
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to nordia Send a message via MSN to nordia Send a message via Skype™ to nordia

That looks like it's going to be an amazing game; maybe like Kingdom Hearts, but hopefully edgier.
nordia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 03:23 AM   #5
Dr Tran
Banned

i doubt it'll be edgier because its disney
Dr Tran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 05:11 PM   #6
nordia
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to nordia Send a message via MSN to nordia Send a message via Skype™ to nordia

They do have a bad habit of toning things down and making it all G-rated.
Old 10-26-2009, 06:52 PM   #7
Flaming_Dingleberry
Everybody gets one.
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Tran View Post
i doubt it'll be edgier because its disney
Quote:
Originally Posted by nordia View Post
They do have a bad habit of toning things down and making it all G-rated.
The game designer Disney approached about this denied them at first because he doesn't do kid's stuff, but much to his surprise Disney came back to him willing to go in his direction. He wanted the mischievous 1920's Mickey in the game rather than the moralized crap they turned him into. As a bonus, Disney unintentionally found the game designer who knew just as much about Mickey as they did; this game won't stray away from classic Mickey AND it might just be good ;D
Flaming_Dingleberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 08:31 PM   #8
nordia
FFR Player

That's quite reassuring to hear. Old skool Disney is much better than the current stuff they have these days.
Old 10-27-2009, 08:59 PM   #9
Flaming_Dingleberry
Everybody gets one.
FFR Veteran

I could totally rewrite the whole review straight from Nintendo Power.

That would take forever, but it would actually give you all a much better idea of how the game will turn out.
Flaming_Dingleberry is offline   Reply With Quote