View Single Post
Old 11-29-2012, 09:07 PM   #13
Crashfan3
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to Crashfan3 Send a message via Skype™ to Crashfan3
Default Re: Having a difficult time deciding what to do with my life.

I'm 1 year into my program approaching a Bachelor's in Computer Science, and I might be in the same boat as you. I love computers to death, all my friends know I talk about computers all the time, and up until about last year I loved programming, now I'm not so sure. I'll probably just stick with it knowing that it won't get easier but that I'll (hopefully) get better, because I don't want to deal with changing majors and there's really not much else I'm interested in. Plus I know once I have that degree, I have a good chance of making a pretty comfortable salary. I can live comfortably on $2000/month no problem, but I think that's just entry-level pay.

What I'm doing for a career right now is a much bleaker story. I work evenings in an on-call position at a telephone survey company, at a varied wage averaging about 9.40/hr (Oregon minimum wage is 8.80, jumps to 8.95 in Jan. '13). The job itself is easy and at some times fun, but mostly unchallenging, and also ridiculously boring most nights. It's the general labor stereotype of "do this, this, then this, and repeat for six hours," only without the physical aspect. I wouldn't mind it except because it's on call, I never know when I'm working, or how many hours I'll get week-to-week. I usually make about $550/month which is not quite enough to move out of my parents' house without the fear of having some expenses go unpaid. I'm trying to get a more stable, slightly better paying job at the local hospital as an Admitting Registrar.

OP, My advice to you is that if you're truly skilled in the program that you're in, try to tough it out, maybe you'll find some aspect of it that makes it interesting. As for entering the computer science field, it's not just about being good at math. Crunching numbers is one thing, but you need to know how to think logically, or as I put it, "think in the way that your brain doesn't expect you to." If you think you can manage that, go for it. If you just want to try it, stay in your program but take a couple of entry-level programming classes on the side (I'd start with basic Java) and see how you like it.

Good luck!

Last edited by Crashfan3; 11-29-2012 at 09:13 PM..
Crashfan3 is offline   Reply With Quote