View Single Post
Old 02-8-2023, 08:25 AM   #9
gold stinger
Signature Extraordinare~~
Song Submission & Events Manager
Game ManagerEvent StaffSimfile JudgeFFR Wiki StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Music ProducerD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to gold stinger
Default Re: What Constitutes a "Good Chart"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapta View Post
Not everyone will like your charts, and that's okay. It's the same for every step file artist. Don't let criticism get to you.
This rings extremely hard. There is not a single person whom is be-all end-all the final say for how a Stepchart should be charted. Most judges on the judge team will have a general idea on what players will like and dislike and you may even get the odd judgment on a file that is an exception to that. It doesn't mean what or how you stepped it is inherently wrong. It could mean that a particular category that Opkiller listed didn't resonate with that individual, or that there are competing songs and interests already in-game, or any number of reasons both with and without bias.

If you're looking for input on how to get into 'charting' in general, make your own pack. When I first started making simfiles, people absolutely hated what I put out. Off-sync, pony music-related, white noise garbage. But, I made what was fun for me to make, put it in a pack and released it. Regardless of whether or not people actually play your content, it will help you create landmarks and checkpoints where you can validate the quality of your own work, and see your own progression of how you improved in charting over time. It also helps bring into view some of the things that you did incorrectly in earlier charts and what worked well in more recent charts when you have multiple data points of your own work to compare it against.

- Tosh 2014

Last edited by gold stinger; 02-8-2023 at 08:28 AM..
gold stinger is offline   Reply With Quote