View Single Post
Old 02-24-2022, 05:18 PM   #212
gold stinger
Signature Extraordinare~~
Song Submission & Events Manager
Game ManagerEvent StaffSimfile JudgeFFR Wiki StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Music ProducerD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to gold stinger
Default Re: Song Corrections Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by XelNya View Post
Just actually bothered to check my own content for stuff, and most everything is cleaned up super nicely, and I really appreciate the effort into that.

Before Cynthia; Kindred, The Eternal Hunters; & N's Farewell should be in the Arcade section of the game.

Before Cynthia is literally a remaster / direct cover of the original game audio, Kindred is literally the theme of the character it's named after. N's Farewell is a piano based cover and redo of the song from Pokemon Black & White with the same name.

I assume they're in their current genres (and I'm ok if they stay) because the song's actual genre is most represented that way, but in the interest of consistency these are the last issues with my in-game work. Either those should move, or Lavender Town (Fairytale Remix) should be relocated to Classical.

If I had a choice of how it was handled I'd put them all into Arcade, but Goldstinger, your judgement has been super good and I'm good with whatever choice you wanna make there. (I know super irrelevant set of changes but since the house is being cleaned, I figured it might be worth a mention.)
I think this can be an opener to an even broader discussion as a whole in what quantifies getting a song placed in the 'Arcade' genre. Is it the relation of a particular song to a video game, or is it a particular usage of instruments? If it's the latter, which instruments? '8-Bit' is the de-facto answer but there are MUCH more songs in Arcade than just '8-Bit'. There's Rock, House, Electronic (EDM), Progressive, Jazz and even Piano as what a lot of the argument imposed above contains (See: Mario Mix for Piano).

I've moved all the songs you've mentioned over to Arcade. Would love to have a discussion about this, in this thread and see how others interpret the genre.

- Tosh 2014

Last edited by gold stinger; 02-24-2022 at 05:21 PM..
gold stinger is offline   Reply With Quote