View Single Post
Old 01-30-2019, 09:36 AM   #311
Izzy
Snek
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Default Re: Unpopular gaming opinions thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagicCarpetRide View Post
I have never understood this mentality. Like why can you not enjoy a game just because some people take the game very seriously?
When I try to play Overwatch these days you can't play a single game without some or all the people in your match playing and yelling as if this was a life or death situation. Like their skill at this game is a determinant of their self worth. I can't even play smash bros with friends anymore without people acting like destroying their friends at the game means they are going to get famous and make money from it. What happened to having fun and a good laugh at the silliness of Nintendo characters beating eachother up?

In my opinion in under no circumstance should a video game ever be taken so seriously. Esports and also streaming give the false impression that video games matter for anything more than having fun. The same problem exists with youtube "e-celebrity" culture. Kids these days want / think they are going to grow up to be a e-celebrity and make a profession out of doing nothing but people paying attention to them and throwing money at them.

These things need to be hobbies or they devolve into disingenuous sell-out trash content. There may some rare exceptions for educational content that isn't about the persons popularity.

Last edited by Izzy; 01-30-2019 at 09:38 AM..
Izzy is offline   Reply With Quote