Old 08-20-2016, 11:45 PM   #82
Xiz
TWG Chaos
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to Xiz
Default Re: The College Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayword45 View Post
Bumping this shit. UMass Amherst, entering in the fall to study PoliSci, not sure if I wanna graduate in 3 years (yay AP credits) or go for a dual degree in PoliSci and Statistics which would take 4 years.

Give me your tips on surviving college life. Please. Anxiety is hitting me right now and IDK why lol.
Best advice I can give. I'm actually being serious here so hope this helps:

- Join a club. Intramural, Acapella, or whatever. Make new friends. I did broomball and dodgeball as a free agent since I didn't know anyone. Ended up making life long friends doing that.

- Be yourself. You will be pressured to be someone you are not. Don't make fake friends like highschool. There will be people exactly like you, find those people. Football? Find football peeps. D&D? Join DND groups and clubs or ask around.

- Grades are only important if you intend on going to graduate school. So don't stress about that B or A. Otherwise, C's get degrees. And even if you are going to graduate school, grades are not what they really look at. It's (in your case) your studies, independent projects, and goals which get you in. Most of your learning comes from your own determination outside of the classroom. I know this from experience.

- Take your time. No rush. Seriously. Takes 3 years? Cool. 5? cool. Nobody cares. Enjoy the time you have there.

- Make connections that matter. Don't burn bridges. I've gotten and given jobs to people for knowing their education and background in my undergrad. It's a "Who you know" world.

- Find yourself. One of the most important things I can suggest. It took me 3 years into college for me to find myself truly. Went from music to film, and am 100% glad I took the time to wait and see what I really wanted to do.

- Discover your sexuality. (If, that's something you are interested in)

- Have fun. Enjoy the small moments. Join people for a concert, do something new. The best thing you can do is to try new things. Take those risks.

Oh also, if your parents are going to drop you off, and if you have a good relationship with your parents... if when moving in they are embarrassing, let them be. It's a big moment for them, and a new big step in their life. Just like it is for you. You won't realize the importance of this until later <3

Hope that helps, and congratz on Umass!

Last edited by Xiz; 08-20-2016 at 11:47 PM..
Xiz is offline   Reply With Quote