noname219
FFR Wiki Admin
Wiki Administrator
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to noname219
Default Re: Building/Buying a good desktop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pseudo Enigma View Post
I'm no expert, but paying $500 for a 1440p monitor seems really steep. That and Asus has never given me satisfaction lol
27 inch, 1440p seemed nice to me . Never had any Asus product, so I don't know their reputation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibblre View Post
Unless you REALLY want it, I would avoid full towers since they're gigantic. For keyboards, I recommend anything mechanical; I personally like the CM STORM line. I only use 1080p for gaming, so I couldn't comment on that monitor. I highly recommend the Asus VG248QE though for its 144hz refresh rate, but really it depends on if you want 1080p or not. Do you really need that much ram? If you're only gaming, you really don't need anything more than 8gb. I would also recommend G.Skill's Ripjaws ram over Corsair's Vengeance, but once again that might be personal preference. Also, I would throw an SSD in there if you could. The faster load times on games is insane, I can't imagine ever going back. Finally, I think I would try to get a Haswell i7. I don't see a point to getting an Ivy Bridge at this point.
I usually do stuff that requires a lot of power (Photoshop, photo editing), although I'm not sure if it relies more on the CPU or the RAM, probably both. It's not a gaming build though, but I would like to handle high-end pc games.
Don't have any preference for Corsair, so I changed it.
Added a SSD of course. (Samsung 840 EVO 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk)
Changed the CPU to a Haswell one, had to change the motherboard to avoid any compatibility issues.
Changed my OS to Windows 8.1.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzy View Post
1. A sound card is generally stupid unless you have some kind of surround sound system.
2. Full towers are ridiculously huge unless you use 5+ harddrives and multiple graphics cards
3. The i7-3770k is the older model of the i7-4770k that you can get for $250 at microcenter. The 4770k is a 1550 socket and would require a newer motherboard. There is even a new version of the haswell i7 that just came out, but for some reason is less powerful than the 4770k.
4. For the cost of the computer you should be getting a solid state for your OS. The speed increase over a HDD as a boot device is hugely significant.
5. Unless you are doing surround gaming a 4gb version of the 770gtx is going to be wasted. You could save 100 dollars here and get a solid state.

Edit: Didn't read what you were using the gfx card for. Might be useful then.

As an example of why an SSD is so great if you've ever used photoshop it can take 20+ seconds to load off of a harddrive. With a solid state it is 1 second or less.
1. Removed
3. Changed to the 4770k
4. Yep, I forgot the SDD
5. Seeing your edit, should I keep the video card or changed it ?

What should I get instead of a full tower ?

Btw, the price is around $ 2,000 so far : http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3JvYW
noname219 is offline   Reply With Quote