noname219
FFR Wiki Admin
Wiki Administrator
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to noname219
Default Re: Need music recommendations | 1 year challenge

Day Seventy-Two - February 10th, 2014
ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ

Toxicity by System of a Down (recommended by yo man im awesome)

1. Prison Song
2. Needles
3. Deer Dance
4. Jet Pilot
5. X
6. Chop Suey!
7. Bounce
8. Forest
9. ATWA
10. Science
11. Shimmy
12. Toxicity
13. Psycho
14. Aerials

Nostalgic incoming review.

System of a Down was probably the very first band I had discovered on my own and truly loved. When I was 14, I was looking for all their cds, listening to them again and again on my old portable cd player. They made me love metal (up to that point I was listening to pop punk/rock stuff like Blink-182, Sum 41, Green Day, Linkin Park) so I respect them for that. It was, however, a logical continuation from a music point of a view as a teen. I was looking for more harsher and expressive music so it was only a matter of time before I get to them. So, saying that, I'm incredibly biased when it comes to the content on this album. As much as I would like to review Toxicity neutrally, I feel it won't be possible, so I'll be sincere.

System of a Down's music is mostly metal in nature but includes elements from nu metal, experimental and folk music, and have comedy/satirical lyrics and thrash/groove riffs. They were able to create a very unique sound, completely new to the metal scene. What also make them worth of mention are the vocals and Daron's guitar work. While Serj provides most of the vocals (which are already eclectic), Daron's parts are incredibly intense and engaged (read, not for everyone - even myself I find his voice annoying sometimes). The guitar is wide, ranging from light picking moments to heavy riff driven sections. Some of my favourite moments are the bridge in Deer Dance around 1m40, the piano ending of Chop Suey! (obv) and the vocal harmonies on Aerials. The big problem with System of a Down is the inconsistency their albums have. The low points are decent at best but they interfere deeply with the high points, and those are pretty damn good to say the least.

My rating : ★★★★★★★★★

I wanna know, what do you think of this album ? It's really a diverging album (similar to MSI) so I want to know what you guys think of it.

Last edited by noname219; 04-6-2014 at 05:12 PM..
noname219 is offline   Reply With Quote