View Single Post
Old 07-11-2013, 06:17 PM   #5
korny
It's Saint Pepsi bitch
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to korny
Default Re: Review the last restaurant you've eaten at

Awesome, I've been waiting for a thread like this I fine dine almost every day and am obsessively trying to expand my palate.

Shogun Hibachi and Sushi McKinney,tx

From the inside and out this place looks like your average hibachi restaurant, and had I not experienced it before as a birthday invite years ago, I would be eating at Benihana more often. Luckily, this place makes a good enough replacement so that I don't have to make the trip to downtown to do so.

So I eat here at least once a month and get the same thing every time. Being a hibachi restaurant you have the choice to have the meal cooked in front of you in a japanese themed restaurant, decorated with all sorts of japanese imperialist art. A good friend of mine works the bar so i skip that whole charade and get straight to the chow. I order the Chateaubriand cooked medium with fried rice and vegetables. It comes with a salad which I skipped because it was soaked in thousand island and it has never suited my particular flavor profile, and miso soup. The soup is always good. Nothing out of the ordinary just your usual miso soup. The last few times I would get the lobster i had noticed that the lemon butter never gets absorbed into the meat quite like Benihana prepares it. Its all about that lemon butter sauce man. That aside, the chateaubriand is on point. For those unfamiliar, a chateaubriand is the tender part of a filet mignon and is out of this world tender and flavorful when cooked right and shogun doesn't miss a mark here. It comes with 4 pieces of shrimp which I split in half to make 8 bites to combine with delectable bites of steak with a piece of mushroom. *drool*

I have been drinking again lately, so my tab ran to about $62. Minus the cost of alcohol it was probably in the range of 30 dollars or so and well worth it. I recommend against eating their sushi they tend to drench their signature rolls in spicy mayo and have no real crab substitute for the kani. The tempura flakes that come with some of their rolls taste off to me when I've tried them and just overall mess up the whole flavor profile the texture isn't quite enough to make me enjoy this. All in all I recommend shogun to everyone who wants to enjoy a reasonably priced hibachi restaurant while ignoring the sushi aspect. Sushi aside I give shogun an 8/10

Edit: a photo of the meal. I've been documenting the good I've been eating lately. I have a passion for good food and have thought about becoming a food critic/sommelier/chef.

Last edited by korny; 07-11-2013 at 06:31 PM..
korny is offline   Reply With Quote