Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > Life and Arts > Films and Television
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-24-2005, 05:55 PM   #1
Squeek
let it snow~
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Squeek
Default Naruto

Let me begin with a small synopsis copied from Anime News Network.

"Naruto closely follows the life of a boy who is feared and detested by the villagers of the hidden leaf village of Konoha. The distrust of the boy has little to do with the boy himself, but it’s what’s inside him that causes anxiety. Long before Naruto came to be, a Kyuubi (demon fox) with great fury and power waged war taking many lives. The battle ensued for a long time until a man known as the Fourth Hokage, Yondaime, the strongest ninja in Konoha, fiercely fought the Kyuubi. The fight was soon won by Yondaime as he sealed the evil demon in a human body. Thus the boy, Naruto, was born. As Naruto grows he decides to become the strongest ninja in Konoha in an effort to show everyone that he is not as they perceive him to be, but is a human being worthy of love and admiration. But the road to becoming Hokage, the title for the strongest ninja in Konoha, is a long and arduous one. It is a path filled with betrayal, pain, and loss; but with hard work, Naruto may achieve Hokage."

The series will air its 120th episode on Wednesday, January 26th.

Let me begin by saying one simple thing. There are far too many people saying they won't watch this show because it is too much like Dragonball Z. While I agree with you on some points, I strongly argue against this belief.

a) The use of a plot.
b) The use of character growth & development.
c) The use of a large cast that differ in ability.
d) The use of incredible music.
e) The use of not having 50 episodes per fight.

The first 20 or so episodes provide an introduction to the series quite well. You meet the entire cast of characters, even if just for a brief moment. You learn some concepts they will constantly be referring to and many terms they will use. You learn character's aspirations and goals.

Then you come to the section of the show from 20 - 80 all about something known as the Chuunin Exams. I will not elaborate on this too much due to potential spoilers, but I will mention that the late 30s to late 40s were what made this series for me.

From 80-present and beyond is a whole 'nother series of events. I don't even know what to call it, so I'll leave it up to the potential viewer to watch this far. The series is picking up in action right about now, at 115-130.

Music

The background music in Naruto is always present. The music always fits the mood of the time perfectly. HOWEVER, they will play a track known as "Bad Situation" far too often. Once you hear it a dozen times, you'll be sick of it.

As for the intros, let's break them down.

Rocks - Decent song; a little too slow.
Haruka Kanata - High-energy rock song by Asian Kung-Fu Generation. Great video synchronization as well.
Kanashimi wo Yasashisa ni - High-pitched girl-sung song that most people hate. Not that great.
GO! - Great action-packed song. The video for it rules. They actually change the video at episode 90 to fit the tone even better.
Seishun Kyosokyoku - Current theme. It is again perfect for the tone of the show as it is right now.

Endings, well, there are too many. Only 2 or 3 are decent...

Wind - Sounds like a Jamaican singing in English. Decent song.
Viva Rock - Stupid song with stupid video, but only other decent one.
Imamade Nandomo - Best ever. Shame they replaced it with crap at 90.

Overall, I rate this show a 8/10. The fighting scenes are well-done and the music is great. The only beef I have is the repetitiveness of that song I mentioned before and some really REALLY stupid characters (at times).

~Squeek
Squeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2005, 06:03 PM   #2
emccky
Banned
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to emccky Send a message via MSN to emccky
Default RE: Naruto

Naruto is an all around amazing anime show. It has everything. I think it deserves atleast an 8 as you gave it, if not higher. I am waiting for 120 also and i'm sure it will not be a let down.

ps. Sorry Squeek if any grammar is incorrect, I didn't mean it XD
emccky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2005, 06:07 PM   #3
Squeek
let it snow~
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

If you've read all the manga, this whole part is just waiting for it to be colored and animated. I know it'll rule since I've seen it.

Shikamaru's fight is so amazingly awesome. The guy rules. He is definitely my favorite character EVER.

Since, you know, he takes after me. Being a genius ninja and all.

~Squeek

PS - forgot to mention. Series info is best found here - http://www.narutofan.com/
Old 01-24-2005, 08:22 PM   #4
Freak83
FFR Simfile Author
FFR Simfile Author

I have them all on CD and organized. I spread it through my school like a plauge.

I would seriously consider changing my avatar to a Naruto one if you guys didn't bash me every time I try.
Freak83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2005, 08:24 PM   #5
tsutter
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to tsutter

Freak, your avatar is too classic. I wouldn't be able to identify you if you changed it :O every time I think if you I think of Vegeta looking like a homosexual. :>

Anyway, yeah Naruto is great. And if it sticks to the manga as well as it has the next batch of episodes will be amazing.
[02:02:16] <Hayden> i carry the plastic i make it spastic when i put it in ya moms ass boy her **** is elastic when im finished in knee that slut in the jaw snap her back in to pieces i lay down the law cuz i gots no respect fo that ***** elixers **** seeing as he got double dick ****ed on dust 2 by an ingram at long A in pit
tsutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2005, 07:57 AM   #6
mead1
Cerebellumberjack
FFR Simfile Author

Send a message via AIM to mead1 Send a message via Skype™ to mead1

Naruto=Win

This anime takes everything I hated about DBZ and remedies it. It is simply the greatest anime I have had the priveledge to witness.
mead1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2005, 02:54 PM   #7
SotN
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to SotN

I am in the "Freak, change your goddamed avatar already" camp.

But I did enjoy [DB]/whoever's Naruto 120 paradoy. Date rape, ahoy.
Old 02-6-2005, 04:25 PM   #8
Squeek
let it snow~
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Bumpage.

The two latest chapters absolutely rocked my world.

It's like "NARUTO MANGA PART 2" and it basically has every character as they would be after 3 years' training under a strict regiment. We've only seen Naruto and Sakura, but it looks promising for the others.

~Squeek
Old 02-6-2005, 05:10 PM   #9
Freak83
FFR Simfile Author
FFR Simfile Author

I always watch them at lunch with a friend on Friday. Haven't seen 119 or 120 yet and I have them both availble for watching... sucks so much.

The one thing that highly annoys me, (not with the show) is that I love it that it's not just about senseless fighting, but for the fact that it actually does use great character and plot development. It has anything BUT a weak storyline. Most of my friends who watch it hate this aspect of the show and are like "OMG THERE SHOULD BE MORE FIGHTING AND NO FLASHBACKS!!!111!!"

So annoying... I feel like I'm the only one around my area who actually appriciates the show to its full extent.
Old 02-16-2005, 05:57 AM   #10
Squeek
let it snow~
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Breaking news Bump.

Naruto has been licensed. It only took them 4 seasons to figure out that Naruto is really popular and would be highly popular over here in the States.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anime News Network
ShoPro recently announced that they have the TV, home video, and merchandising rights to Naruto. The press release can be read here.
However, the story goes further just a little while later, as the next news update states:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anime News Network
AnimeSuki has stated on their front page, " AnimeSuki sees ShoPro only as a middle-man and not an anime company which releases anime themselves. As such we're not marking it licensed yet." ShoPro, which has acted as a "middle-man" in the licensing business up until now, recently announced that it would be merging with sister company Viz, LLC to form a single company handling licenses, video releases and manga releases.
Which I thought would happen.

So we're back where we started, but a company has the rights to the show now. Kinda.

~Squeek
Old 02-16-2005, 01:11 PM   #11
Freak83
FFR Simfile Author
FFR Simfile Author

I was just going to make a post saying it got liscned but you beat me to it... This sucks! I hate them those people who liscened it now!
Old 02-16-2005, 10:33 PM   #12
SotN
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to SotN

Naruto subbed no matter what the legality is. Heck, manga scanlators didnt so much as bat an eye when the manga was licensed. Animesuki may still list Naruto, but ANBU/AonE and Dattebayo just dropped their subs from the scarywater tracker, so it doesnt really matter.

Dattebayo just released Naruto 122. Good for them, I'd knew they'd keep going. ANBU and AonE are a bunch of boyscouts, however. :/

EDIT: Nevermind, Animesuki did an about-face and dropped all Naruto listings, too.
Old 02-16-2005, 10:41 PM   #13
Kilgamayan
Super Scooter Happy
FFR Simfile Author

Send a message via AIM to Kilgamayan
Default Re: Naruto

Quote:
a) The use of a plot.
Uh, DBZ had plot. Dunno what show you were watching. And it wasn't always a search for the Dragon Balls - Garlic Jr and Android Sagas anyone?

Quote:
b) The use of character growth & development.
You obviously never saw Vegeta.

Quote:
d) The use of incredible music.
That's not fact, that's opinion, and thus isn't really a good basis for proving something.

Quote:
c) The use of a large cast that differ in ability.
e) The use of not having 50 episodes per fight.
I can't argue these because I've never watched it, but I've heard c) isn't true.

And if the series is "picking up action" in Episode 115 then something's wrong because I'm not sitting through 114 episodes of boring crap.
I watched clouds awobbly from the floor o' that kayak. Souls cross ages like clouds cross skies, an' tho' a cloud's shape nor hue nor size don't stay the same, it's still a cloud an' so is a soul. Who can say where the cloud's blowed from or who the soul'll be 'morrow? Only Sonmi the east an' the west an' the compass an' the atlas, yay, only the atlas o' clouds.
Kilgamayan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2005, 01:47 AM   #14
iopq
FFR Player

Default RE: Re: Naruto

it's like this... the series is interesting in the first episodes
really good at ep 30
INCREDIBLE at ep 40
BETTER THAN INCREDIBLE at ep 50
and after that KIRBY IS LORD GOD ALMIGHTY AND YOU ARE NOTHING awesome at ep 115
Old 02-17-2005, 06:17 AM   #15
Squeek
let it snow~
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

It's more like this.

Character / series introduction 1-5.

First missions / early training 6-19.

Big important event 20-67.

Specific event 68-80.

Start of another mission / training 81-96

Useless crap filler 97-106

New major important event 107-now.

I'm not filling in the names as doing so means massive spoilers.

Anyway, let me answer Kilga's posts.

DBZ's plot was transparent and on extremely thin ice. They rarely had a decent reason for fighting other than the fact that the guy was there and he did some things.

Vegeta didn't grow much. He was an evil guy that came, got defeated, left, fought, got defeated, left, fought, got defeated, left, etc. He trained in the meantime. He married someone. He was still evil in the end.

C is very much true. There are dozens of characters with different abilities and "bloodline limits". Naruto's an idiot with hardly any skill, but some creative ways to fight. Shikamaru (teh pwnz) is basically the complete opposite. I won't say much about him to prevent spoilers. You learn about Naruto in the first 5 seconds.

What I meant about episode 115 picking up the action again is that the creator decided to throw in filler from the end of one section and the beginning of another that really sucked and barely fit the story properly. It is always awesome...just not during that period of filler.

~Squeek
Old 02-17-2005, 10:16 AM   #16
Moogy
嗚呼
FFR Simfile Author

Send a message via AIM to Moogy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jewpinthethird
Naruto is the new DBZ.

^^^ vintage signature from like 2006 preserved
Moogy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2005, 08:35 AM   #17
Squeek
let it snow~
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

127 / 128 came out.

Man, it's looking like it'll be good. Of course, having read the manga, I know what will happen...

129-133 or so will be information on Sasuke's past. It's very important stuff, so don't just skip it if it doesn't sound interesting.

~Squeek
Old 03-31-2005, 10:41 AM   #18
natsuko
FFR Player

Yes, of course. naruto is an awesome anime. Well all anime are awesome- anime is juts not meant to be bad.
Old 03-31-2005, 02:56 PM   #19
ckj846
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to ckj846

I saw Naruto in Japan and it was very cool!!!
Although my command of the Japanese language sucks, the action and the animations were awesome!!!
I just hope that crappy voice-overs won't kill the show...(um............. INUYASHA.............)
I read the manga too....
They better put Naruto on Adult Swim or at least take out Dragon Ball GT.......
A whole hour of GT is no fun for anyone........
O_o
pyro31191: so they can buy dildos instead of fleshlights
ckj846 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-1-2005, 04:34 PM   #20
Gmstr
FFR Player

NARUTO IS AWSOME it is nothing like dragonballzeither.i agree with ck, GT
should be removed and reaplaced with naruto i bet they would get more people to watch adult swim

alot more