Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > General Discussion > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-18-2010, 07:07 PM   #281
who_cares973
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to who_cares973 Send a message via MSN to who_cares973 Send a message via Yahoo to who_cares973 Send a message via Skype™ to who_cares973
Default Re: Getting a new computer. Need advice.

fast fingers is yaboy he doesnt know **** about **** lmao
Old 10-19-2010, 02:15 AM   #282
DAD1
FFR Player

so MrRubix how can you afford to do this stuff with the unbelievably crippling cost of living in new york

serious question

cause this was before you had the nicer job right
DAD1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 08:20 AM   #283
MrRubix
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAD1 View Post
so MrRubix how can you afford to do this stuff with the unbelievably crippling cost of living in new york

serious question

cause this was before you had the nicer job right
Yes, it was before the new job, but I spent my undergrad years working (in addition to classes) for all four years plus each summer, so I had a bit left over. I've been self-sufficient since an early age. It was initially supposed to be a gift but that wound up not happening.

NY costs blow. Rent is like $1400, and then layer on tons of student loans, phone bills, utilities, Internet, clothing, food, monthly unlimited Metrocard, etc.

But I make enough to cover those costs with enough left over to spend on whatever I want, really. I just can't go crazy and go out drinking every night because those kind of bills add up fast. My girlfriend and I spend a fair bit of our disposable incomes trying out famous restaurants in Manhattan because we're both big on gastronomy/design/etc, so that's where most of our money ultimately goes. NY is freaking expensive and it's really hard to live decently unless you're making good money here.

Even so, NY apartments aren't big enough to justify getting multiple desktops or anything. I don't really want to upgrade my computer on a consistent basis, either, because I like having everything work together at once at maximum quality (as opposed to having parts fail out here and there through wear and tear). I just prefer buying an uber-computer once every few years or so. It's only a few thousand dollars for something you use quite often, and at maximum performance.

Last edited by MrRubix; 10-19-2010 at 08:33 AM..
MrRubix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 08:41 AM   #284
Phynx
I'm Forever
FFR Veteran

I would LOVE to see NVidia partner with Intel.

That'd be classic.

I'm skeptical of ATI's new products, raving about 4GB memory this, huge upgrade that. Again it's just that, ATI has for the most part had higher "specs" of hardware but had lower specs in performance to NVidia's cards.

I personally think NVidia is just biding time for itself. That or the 480 Fermi cards are again, as always, better than ATI's top of the line.

Plus I've never had an ATI card that didn't burn itself out within a 6 month period of time. So just based on past failures I will keep myself on NVidias loyalty listing.

Phynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 08:55 AM   #285
fido123
FFR Player

Only ATI card I've had burnt out in 2 years. I've never heard anything of actual value about them other than fanboys who don't exactly know how **** works in a computer spamming specs. Too bad the way NVidea does things, offer better performance IMO. It's the same deal with Intel and AMD. Yes the specs are higher in AMDs, and for certain types of computing the chips are better, but for day to day use/the more important and noticeable parts of video game processing is done better with Intel.
fido123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 11:22 AM   #286
MrGiggles
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to MrGiggles Send a message via MSN to MrGiggles

protip: brand loyalty is kind of stupid and fermi is awful

I mentioned this earlier, but brand superiority tends to run in a cycle, and right now a lot of people are busy laughing at NVidia cards setting houses on fire. ATI is finally getting their **** together. How long will this last? Iunno.

You're right though, fido. ATI's drivers are a total joek and cost the cards a fair amount of performance. They tend to be cheaper to compensate.
MrGiggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 11:42 AM   #287
Phynx
I'm Forever
FFR Veteran

ATI has kept a steady pace, this I admit. They've had very successful cards that made me question my choices when building my new systems.

BUT as for the current, I don't want to hear anyone say "Well... Well in benchmarks the 5970 smoked the 480!"

Cause I'm sure some people don't know that the 5970 is JUST like(in build design) as the NVidia GeForce 9800 GX2 in that it has TWO GPU processors and hardware to scale. The GTX 480 is a single GPU unit.

Now knowing this, yeah the 5970 landed high benchmarks on a lot of tests but even though it is overstacked with hardware compared to the 480, it still lost on several tests to the 480. Consult tomshardware for the data on it.

In ATI's defense again though, their cards have been known(lately anyway) to be quieter, use less energy, and are cooler than NVidia's cards while still performing a solid throughput of performance. As well they are always cheaper than NVidia's cards.

So all in all, I think ATI is progressing in a lot of good areas though they seem to "out-perform" in order to "out-brag" Nvidia from time to time, while NVidia has some hardware changes they need to make to offer a more economical solution with better ratings for a cheaper price.

Old 10-19-2010, 11:45 AM   #288
MrRubix
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

a more valid comparison will be the 5970 vs the 485 (or whatever the dual gpu card is here)
Old 10-19-2010, 11:50 AM   #289
Phynx
I'm Forever
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRubix View Post
a more valid comparison will be the 5970 vs the 485 (or whatever the dual gpu card is here)
The 485 or "gf100" is still a single-gpu.

As far as I've seen, the only "newest" dual-GPU, single card NVidia has released is the GTX 295.

Corrected - I guess there is speculation? about a dual-gpu GTX 495

Old 10-19-2010, 12:56 PM   #290
MrRubix
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

like i said i wasn't sure which card was dual GPU (I just assumed the 485 -- but it might be labeled a 490 or 495).

The GTX 295 is what I currently own -- it's a dual-GPU card that's about the same as having two GTX 260's in SLI.
Old 10-19-2010, 02:31 PM   #291
ninjaKIWI
plain old ugly ass dumbas
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to ninjaKIWI

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGiggles View Post

I mentioned this earlier, but brand superiority tends to run in a cycle, and right now a lot of people are busy laughing at NVidia cards setting houses on fire. ATI is finally getting their **** together. How long will this last? Iunno.

You're right though, fido. ATI's drivers are a total joek and cost the cards a fair amount of performance. They tend to be cheaper to compensate.
Nothing wrong with Fermi so long as you stay away from the 480. My 460 is amazing, never goes above 55 degrees.

I realize that brand loyalty is pretty silly but the only worth while cards that ATI has out right now are the 5850 and the 5870, and even then they're no match in price or performance for cards like the 460.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phynx View Post
I'm skeptical of ATI's new products, raving about 4GB memory this, huge upgrade that. Again it's just that, ATI has for the most part had higher "specs" of hardware but had lower specs in performance to NVidia's cards.

I personally think NVidia is just biding time for itself. That or the 480 Fermi cards are again, as always, better than ATI's top of the line.
ATI's cards always get bottlenecked thanks to their terrible drivers. That and dual GPU cards are stupid until PCI-e 3.0 comes out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phynx View Post
The 485 or "gf100" is still a single-gpu.
The GTX480 runs on the gf100 core as well. The 485 isn't synonymous with the gf100.
ninjaKIWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 03:18 PM   #292
MrRubix
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

Almost forgot about the driver issues -- I generally find that both ATI and NVidia suck at writing new drivers, lol.
Old 10-19-2010, 05:12 PM   #293
fido123
FFR Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGiggles View Post

I'm not so much loyal to a brand rather than I stick with the brand doing the best at the time. Perhaps I should look into ATI again since it's been quite a while since I've looked into them. I expect AMD to even pull ahead of Intel in the next 4 years cause they're doing work involving putting mobo components on the chip so I've heard.

Quote:
Almost forgot about the driver issues -- I generally find that both ATI and NVidia suck at writing new drivers, lol.
I've honestly never had a problem with an NVidea driver, and I have a 460GTX which is a fairly new card. Also I know this doesn't matter to most people but the fact NVidea releases Linux drivers personally pushes me towards them cause I don't want to loose functionality to a whole OS.
fido123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 05:22 PM   #294
MrRubix
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by fido123 View Post
I'm not so much loyal to a brand rather than I stick with the brand doing the best at the time. Perhaps I should look into ATI again since it's been quite a while since I've looked into them. I expect AMD to even pull ahead of Intel in the next 4 years cause they're doing work involving putting mobo components on the chip so I've heard.

I've honestly never had a problem with an NVidea driver, and I have a 460GTX which is a fairly new card. Also I know this doesn't matter to most people but the fact NVidea releases Linux drivers personally pushes me towards them cause I don't want to loose functionality to a whole OS.
I've had a couple issues with the NVidia drivers for my 295's. There was a driver a while back (the 195's? I can't remember the name) -- a WHQL-- that caused some pretty serious damage to people's cards. Luckily I wait to see how a driver affects others before I install, but in general, NVidia's drivers are not without error, either. I find sometimes that my benchmarks start to suck or I experience other issues with graphics, etc. For the most part, though, upgrades are decent.
Old 10-19-2010, 05:22 PM   #295
ninjaKIWI
plain old ugly ass dumbas
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to ninjaKIWI

Quote:
LGA 1156 processors already take the responsibilities of the northbridge chipset. To be honest I'm kind of against doing this with CPUs. Let the motherboard be the motherboard and the processor be the processor.

Quote:
Download MSi Afterburner and overclock your 460 if you haven't already. You should be able to get around the performance of a 470 out of it.

Quote:
I've had a couple issues with the NVidia drivers for my 295's. There was a driver a while back (the 195's? I can't remember the name) -- a WHQL-- that caused some pretty serious damage to people's cards. Luckily I wait to see how a driver affects others before I install, but in general, NVidia's drivers are not without error, either. I find sometimes that my benchmarks start to suck or I experience other issues with graphics, etc. For the most part, though, upgrades are decent.
I have a feeling that the drivers for dual GPU cards are a bit more complex (Pulling this out of my ass now). Everything's going to have some problems.

Last edited by ninjaKIWI; 10-19-2010 at 05:27 PM..
ninjaKIWI is offline   Reply With Quote