View Single Post
Old 07-19-2014, 10:36 AM   #220
EzExZeRo7497
FFR Veteran

Default Re: An Album A Day Keeps The Doctor Away | 365 Album Challenge

Paprika was okay. I expected more though.

July 19th, 2014
ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ

$ Vol. 10 by Kid606 / Xanopticon (recommended by xVaLoRx)
The $ series is a series of collaboration EPs/singles, though I'm not too sure which label came up with the idea. This is the last album of the series. The artists involved in the $ series include (and are not limited to) Cex, Electric Company, kid606 and Xanopticon. Kid606 seems to be the main collaborator, as he has appeared in 9 out of 10 splits. The other collaborator, Xanopticon, is one of the biggest breakcore acts out there. His intricately structured and extreme style of breakcore is very unique - it's breakcore at its hardest. I love most of his works - he's one of my favourite breakcore artists. I feel that for genres like breakcore, it's best to go all the way to make it as loud as possible. The overwhelming effect is what I want from breakcore, and Xano does this wonderfully.

Anyway, there's only two tracks here. The first track is Flip Da' Bird, by Kid606. Starts off quite minimal, then a predominant sample takes the spotlight. The intricate melodies/breaks are now in the background. The melody is rather pretty in the first half, it does remind me of Autechre a little. The track then progresses to a predominantly glitch hop track. Not too fond of it, but it's not really bad. Never been a fan of glitch hop in the first place, so I'm not really surprised that I didn't like this.

The second track is Bizarre, by Xanopticon. It's pretty different from Xanopticon's works, mainly because there's actually a hip-hop sample going on. The breakcore component of the track however, is one of the hardest he has made. It's not necessarily intricately structured a la Liminal Space, but it's really loud. While it doesn't quite sound like a chaotic wall of noise at first, it becomes far more aggressive in the second half. Normally I'd find it fantastic, but the hip-hop sample really gets to me. It's just so intrusive, intrusive to the point that it even brings down the intensity of the track. The only time the sample actually complements the track is at the last minute, where the voice is incredibly distorted. It's just annoying otherwise - hip-hop and breakcore doesn't create the best of mixtures. I don't think I could call it hip-hop even, it's just someone rapping over an intense breakcore track. Almost always a bad thing.

I know that I'll like this way more if it weren't for the hip-hop component. It just feels completely unnecessary. It doesn't improve the tracks by any means, in fact it makes them significantly worse. Bizarre would've been a monster of a track, while Flip Da' Bird would've been decent at least. As it is, there's a prominent clash between elements that doesn't allow me to enjoy this as much as I really should be. Maybe it's just showing my apathy towards hip-hop in general, but I just don't see how this could appeal to many people. Maybe the rapping would take some time to get used to, but I don't think it's quite worth the time to get used to. Would much rather listen to other Xanopticon/Kid606 tracks instead.

Album Highlights: -
Track Average Rating: -
Overall Rating: 5/10

I've rated three albums 5.0 consecutively (Paprika OST + some other Celer album before this), that's not good. Probably not in the best of moods.
EzExZeRo7497 is offline   Reply With Quote