PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Wanna Step Some 1920s Novelty Piano?

Tasselfoot
09-3-2008, 12:58 PM
Zez Confrey composed some very interesting piano pieces in the 20s. Not rag, specifically, but close. This is the one I find most interesting, complex, and steppable...

Coaxing the Piano
http://www.perfessorbill.com/midi/coaxing.mid

Thanks to Destiny for the assistance on permission for it... I also have a .pdf file of the sheet music if anyone is interested in it for aid in stepping or for recording your own MIDI...

Beyond that, if anyone wants to step anything else from Perfessor Bill, let me know. As of now, we only have permission for the one song, and will go on a per-song basis for others.

http://www.perfessorbill.com/pbmidiall.shtml

Make sure to stick only to pre-1923 music... he won't give permission for post-1923, since it isn't his to give.

devonin
09-3-2008, 01:07 PM
Sorry, I can't step anything that would be harder than a 7.

ZiggyMcSquirrel
09-3-2008, 01:11 PM
I am going to attempt this :] Called Dibs?

Tasselfoot
09-3-2008, 01:25 PM
there are no dibs... anyone can step whatever. we've had batches with 6 submissions of the same 1 song before. I know Destiny is working on this also.

L0NEvvolf
09-3-2008, 01:25 PM
Working on stepping my first file at the moment and I don't really think that I would be able to step this anyways sorry Tass.

Mr.Nothing
09-3-2008, 01:28 PM
:/
I dunno, I might do it as a side project.
And dev, have you slowed down the rate of a song?
It's really easy to step high BPMs then.

dood gone krazee
09-3-2008, 02:37 PM
I'll probably step it. The beginning sounds really awkward BPM wise. It doesn't sound like the tempo changes too much. Easy fixes with DDREAM Studio probably.

robertsona
09-3-2008, 02:42 PM
uh how do i download and/or convert it

Tasselfoot
09-3-2008, 02:44 PM
right click, save target as, midi to mp3 converter

robertsona
09-3-2008, 03:41 PM
trying out ddream for this

who_cares973
09-3-2008, 04:05 PM
i'll try stepping this after i finish la campanella

Netjet!
09-3-2008, 04:13 PM
Holy cow, I would so step this, but I can't download Stepmania on here. =[ Even if I could, it would take me at least 2 months to step this to the best of my ability.

Also at second :35~1:15 do I hear some jack possibilities?

hi19hi19
09-3-2008, 04:37 PM
I love the Perfessor's music.
But bah, MIDIs! He has some good mp3s on that site, why not step a REAL piano song?

Also, this would honestly be quite hell with the BPM changes. Good luck.

Callipygian
09-3-2008, 04:42 PM
There's a lot of interesting early 20th century piano music. Maybe improvisations by Poulenc, jazz pieces by Schulhoff or a nocturne by Gershwin would be nice to step.

PsYcHoZeRoSk8eR
09-3-2008, 04:51 PM
Normally this is something that I would be all over. Unfortunately, I'm busy with the few songs that I'm still working on from before. If somehow I manage to finish all of those, and this still needs a good file, I'll probably try to make something of it.

dore
09-3-2008, 04:53 PM
All you have to do is get some free midi analyzing software (even FL will work too) and use that to figure out BPMs.

hi19hi19
09-3-2008, 04:55 PM
http://www.perfessorbill.com/midi/rhapsody.mid
Eubie Blake masterpiece. Perfect for stepping.

EDIT- Dore... I've tried that. I used Finale 2005 and FL and Sibaleus, it's not as easy as you'd think. In addition to the BPM changes, the notes of a live recorded session put into a MIDI hardly ever fall on the beat. So even if you have the BPM if the MIDI file itself, it hardly ever does you any good. At least, for me, it wasn't turning out right.

Tasselfoot
09-3-2008, 09:35 PM

man. i was trying to get Reach to step La Campanella 2+ years ago... back when I had asked him to do Turkish March. That and Lost Penny.

But... yea... this and really any other of Bill's MIDIs... you need a high quality stepfiler to do the chart. the BPM changes are likely quite rough.

As someone else said... test out DDReam. That's what jx used for the OMW v2 BPM changes, and that turned out real well.

behanjc
09-3-2008, 10:48 PM
Does anyone have a very good method of analyzing all of a midi's BPM changes. So far, the best thing I've found is Sibelius. If you show hidden objects or something, it will show the BPM markings on the sheet music from the imported midi. However the presentation is hardly ideal (I.E. the BPM markings will be something like increasing from 118.94594, 129.32094, 145.235436456, but all in close proximity and overlap each other. Kind of hard to explain.)
Also, it doesn't indicate the exact second at which the BPM change takes place, rather it marks it on sheet music and often comes between 2 notes and the exact timing is indistinguishable.

If anyone could report a very good method of finding the BPM changes in a midi, I would appreciate it.

lxDestinyxl
09-4-2008, 02:29 AM

... It better be good. It's one of my favourite pieces on piano. I can play most of the song on piano too.

Also, how are you stepping the right hand of page 4? If done properly, I'm guessing LOTS of runningman and jacks + jump jacks.
I can't wait.

who_cares973
09-4-2008, 07:31 AM
... It better be good. It's one of my favourite pieces on piano. I can play most of the song on piano too.

Also, how are you stepping the right hand of page 4? If done properly, I'm guessing LOTS of runningman and jacks + jump jacks.
I can't wait.

there's lots of all that lol

i gotta stop working so i can finish stepping D:

also scott tested what i have so far and he said its coming out good :3

hope you can trust his judgement

hi19hi19
09-4-2008, 09:02 AM
Does anyone have a very good method of analyzing all of a midi's BPM changes. So far, the best thing I've found is Sibelius. If you show hidden objects or something, it will show the BPM markings on the sheet music from the imported midi. However the presentation is hardly ideal (I.E. the BPM markings will be something like increasing from 118.94594, 129.32094, 145.235436456, but all in close proximity and overlap each other. Kind of hard to explain.)
Also, it doesn't indicate the exact second at which the BPM change takes place, rather it marks it on sheet music and often comes between 2 notes and the exact timing is indistinguishable.

If anyone could report a very good method of finding the BPM changes in a midi, I would appreciate it.
Like I said, I've tried a bunch of programs. Perhaps there's some like, "pro MIDI analyzer software" that can do these things.

Tasselfoot
09-4-2008, 12:53 PM
http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/showthread.php?t=51802

Zap_Track
09-4-2008, 02:24 PM
I gonna try it.
Since I dont have anything other to do....

Xandertrax
09-4-2008, 02:48 PM
Fruity Loops shows all midi bpm changes without that much hassle, you just have to go along with the midi while you're stepping. I did that for SQuF, and it worked out fine.

And you don't even have to illigally download, the demo does it perfectly fine.

Also, Zez Confrey? Any Dizzy Fingers? I've played that one on the piano, and it would be fun to step. I might try this.

And converterwise, the easiest way i've found is itunes.

Tasselfoot
09-4-2008, 03:33 PM
my dad is crazy about Dizzy Fingers. that's the back story on how I found out about Confrey in the first place. So he tells me about DF, I find Bill's site and listen to it... only to see that it's basically all scales. So, that would probably be fun and impressive on a piano... but doesn't seem that great for stepping. So I listened to a bunch of other Confrey, and found some of his other novelty pieces more suited for stepping. Such as this or Kitten on the Keys.

as of now, this is our only permission. Can seek more from Bill on an as-desired basis. The other, bigger, issue with Dizzy Fingers is that it's from 1923... and, as such, is still copyrighted.

edit: re-listening to dizzy fingers... not all scales. and man, it would create some crazy weird runningman patterns, from the sound of it.

Heartseeker7
09-4-2008, 03:39 PM
This stuff sounds awsome!
I can't wait to try it out on the game.
Hopefully it doesnt come out as a skill token requiring me to like fc every classical song.

dood gone krazee
09-4-2008, 04:22 PM
Ohhhhh myyyy gooooood the song hi19 suggested has so many changes its ridiculous. Would take a lot of dedication man, jx should step it.

robertsona
09-4-2008, 04:23 PM
ok ddream sucks i'm not stepping this

dood gone krazee
09-4-2008, 04:26 PM
ok ddream sucks i'm not stepping this

Are you serious? DDREAM is most likely one of the best step editors out there. Way better than SM Editor. You're probably just saying this because you have no idea how to use it.

Try it out. READ THE TUTORIALS. This program is amazing.

robertsona
09-4-2008, 04:30 PM
okay it doesn't suck but it doesn't really help me with songs like this more than sm editor, which i thought the point was

dood gone krazee
09-4-2008, 04:32 PM
It can help you find BPM changes.

BPM is shown at the bottom right, and you can move the beats by mouse in Sync Mode. If there's a BPM change, then just line each beat up as close as possible to the downbeat and then look at the bottom right BPM through the beats you just placed and guess what the average of it is, usually its right. OR you can manually place each beat.

P.S. It can also place 192nd notes, and you can speed up/slow down playback speed of the song to hear the rhythms.

behanjc
09-4-2008, 06:59 PM
http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/showthread.php?t=51802
Yea, thanks I'm not an idiot. That is the best way to sync live mp3s without a constant BPM, but with a MIDI, it's a much simpler file type than an MP3 with preset BPMS that should be easily determinable with the proper program. Even if you find DDReam very simple, analyzing wave-form pattern is still not as easy or accurate is finding the exact BPM changes within a MIDI, which is entirely possible.

stargroup100
09-4-2008, 07:18 PM
here's da solution

buy an mp3-midi converter

most likely it'll suck but then you'll have da bpms

plug in and enjoy :D

oh wait you gotta let jimerax fine tune those 0.001 stops they're offsync