PDA

View Full Version : Hurricane Dolly

Raveren
07-23-2008, 10:19 AM
Yep, it's almost made landfall, details can be found on http://www.weather.com/. I'm personally excited for this, I live in southern Corpus Christi, where power outtages are expected, and is in the center of a Tornado Warning area. Dolly's center is about 2 hours south of my position, so the most I'm gonna see from it is about 25-30 mph and heavy rain.

I've only been here in Texas about 3 years, so I haven't experienced a hurricane. Last one that was supposed to come through here was Katrina, and I had my house borded and everything ready to ride her, but she wussed and and went north.

If a tornado does happen to touch down, I'm screwed. My house is a 50 year old piece of ghetto work that is falling apart on it's own, let alone take heavy winds. So I figured I'd post about it.

ITT Dolly, tell your storm stories, give me funny ideas as to what to do in the storm.

OMG its HIM
07-23-2008, 10:21 AM
caterogy two is not that bad, i see why you're not scared. Well gl and dont die =). jk, Have fun?

stretchypanda
07-23-2008, 10:35 AM
Cat 2 still produces strong winds up to I think 95 mph, so it's really not anything to laugh at. It can also produce tornados, as Raveren mentioned. Texans are total wusses when tornados threaten.

Also I think the biggest concern with Dolly is the flooding that's anticipated. The most rainfall is expected right in the Rio Grande Valley, so they're expecting lots and lots of floods.

Also, I am really hoping some of that rain makes it up to Waco.

Raveren
07-23-2008, 10:44 AM
Rain is definitely a concern at the tip of Texas. Dolly is currently "stalled out" just next to land, so it's going to be a very slow moving storm, meaning much crop overwatering.

Adamaja456
07-23-2008, 10:48 AM
you could always film yourself running outside naked with all the heavy winds and rain :)

OMG its HIM
07-23-2008, 10:50 AM
yummmm

Quigly
07-23-2008, 10:53 AM
Sit on your roof and play FFR on a laptop.

customstuff
07-23-2008, 10:57 AM
Stand on your roof wearing an FFR shirt, and if the news crew goes by, yell at the top of your lungs: "Holy @&%*!!!! I JUST FC'D DEATH PIANO!!!!!

Raveren
07-23-2008, 11:01 AM
Naked? Maybe, but then I wouldn't be able to post a link. I'd hate for ya'll to miss out on that.

FFR on my roof? If only my laptop wouldn't break due to rain?

Kill my uncle? Now why would you say that...

Stand on your roof wearing an FFR shirt, and if the news crew goes by, yell at the top of your lungs: "Holy @&%*!!!! I JUST FC'D DEATH PIANO!!!!!

LMAO yes

TC_Halogen
07-23-2008, 11:01 AM
Wow, way to make jokes of a situation. ;D

If I'm not mistaken, a Cat. 5 has winds of 150, so I would say that a Cat 2 would be around 95, as stretchy said. But, when I was watching the forecast, they said that it would only be in the Gulf long enough to strength to a Cat. 1. So it might not be as bad as you foresee it. If it stays Cat. 1--you might be able to ride it out, but your house will get damaged a little, and you will more than likely get flooded. I heard with the combination of the storm surge, and the heavy rains, you guys are going to get 4-8 inches (isolated areas 12+)?

customstuff
07-23-2008, 11:02 AM
Kill your uncle? Where's that? LOL

Raveren
07-23-2008, 11:06 AM
I haven't heard a recent recent estimate, but the last I heard the current speed of the hurricane is 94 mph (Category 2 being at 96 mph), so it might as well be one if it already hasn't reached 96. I don't have to worry as bad about flooding because of the distance between the storm and I, but I haven't heard exactly what I'm gonna get. Might be bad, might not. Either way I'll be here.

Kill your uncle? Where's that? LOL

Oops, must have been the voices again.

speeddemon
07-23-2008, 11:11 AM
I can't really say I've ever been hit by a hurricane. I live in Florida, but every hurricane that was supposed to hit Pinellas county seemed to avoid hitting us, so all we got were the rains and a little wind. Tornadoes never actually touched down when we got our mass of hurricanes, so i doubt you'll get any if we avoided getting them from like 3-6 hurricanes at least. I don't really have anything funny you can do outside...but if you go outside during the right part of the storm you can actually lean on the wind and be held up, which is kinda fun.

TakeHayashi_XD
07-23-2008, 11:16 AM
I also live in florida and live in pinellas and surely, every single hurricne did pass us. To bad it's going to the coast of texas =(

Quigly
07-23-2008, 11:17 AM
Oops, must have been the voices again.
Those darn voices.

EnR
07-23-2008, 12:09 PM
Punch it in the face.