i randomly decided to come back and see wtf is up with everyone

people probably don't remember me but oh well

yay ffr circa 2004

good times, i guess

omgitznpv
07-14-2008, 12:41 PM

Sudden2
07-14-2008, 12:43 PM
yeah, considering i'm not here 99.99999% of the time it seems appropriate ;)

Breakdown16
07-14-2008, 12:50 PM
Hi. FFR's changed a lot; go look at all the new stuff.

Sudden2
07-14-2008, 12:52 PM
yeah it has, it's really daunting actually

a while back i played all of the new games that have come out and really liked spin it up, decided i didn't want to get addicted to another rhythm game and moved on, lol

can't say i really agree with some of the bubbly overlatent design choices, but that's probably because i get nostalgic when i see this site

DDRBaller123
07-14-2008, 01:20 PM
oh **** welcome back

TheRapingDragon
07-14-2008, 01:26 PM
Why'd you leave?

Sudden2
07-14-2008, 01:41 PM
hey baller

i left mostly because i was getting really tired of the elitism that was really prevalent here, i don't know if it still is or not, but i got tired of the general cockwaggery, "my post count is bigger than yours therefore i have superiority," good stepfiles were severely underrated because they weren't made by the best of the best, while complete bull**** files that many of the top stepfile artists were making were gobbled up by everybody, the only scores "worth posting" were scores that the elites posted and a "good score" could only be considered good if it was insane like AAAAing quasar 1.5 or something, when a player posted something that another player could beat it turned into "YOU ****ING SUCK AT THIS GAME YOU GOT 4 MORE PERFECTS THAN I DID" when realistically good scores should be in the eye of the beholder. on top of that i was really young, and shouldn't have been here in the first place, but about a month after R2 came out it was my opinion that this place wasn't worth visiting anymore, so i left. looking back on it i can see why arch0wl left when he did.

tl;dr elitism

it would be good to see some people here from the old days though :)

rzr
07-14-2008, 02:28 PM
I haven't even been here for a year, and I miss the way it was back when I first joined. The post whoring doesn't bother me as much as the flaming, and lack of moderation of it. The moderators are nice, I have a good rapport with them, but I think they've lowered their standards on what they deem flaming.

Anyway, welcome back, I hope we can get better acquainted.

TheRapingDragon
07-14-2008, 02:37 PM
i left mostly because i was getting really tired of the elitism that was really prevalent here, i don't know if it still is or not, but i got tired of the general cockwaggery, "my post count is bigger than yours therefore i have superiority,"

Still around with the odd person but generally I don't see that around anymore. The only elitism is FFya and maybe TGB panel to a lesser extent.

good stepfiles were severely underrated because they weren't made by the best of the best, while complete bull**** files that many of the top stepfile artists were making were gobbled up by everybody

Lots of files get accepted now. The game has tons of artists. There are stepfile judges who judge what files can and cannot go into FFR. Although not perfect, they get the job done.

, the only scores "worth posting" were scores that the elites posted and a "good score" could only be considered good if it was insane like AAAAing quasar 1.5 or something, when a player posted something that another player could beat it turned into "YOU ****ING SUCK AT THIS GAME YOU GOT 4 MORE PERFECTS THAN I DID"

Is always going to happen in a competitive game. Unfortunately SM and whatnot has become a huge bull**** fest and I don't really try to keep up with it anymore.

on top of that i was really young, and shouldn't have been here in the first place, but about a month after R2 came out it was my opinion that this place wasn't worth visiting anymore, so i left. looking back on it i can see why arch0wl left when he did.

Arch0wl came back a while back and posts the odd time here and there, though more at ODI (omgdidinsane, a forum with some FFR banned people and some others).

Everyone comes back eventually.

But ya, the site is worth being around. It can be pretty fun. If only for me =[.

Sudden2
07-14-2008, 02:40 PM
i only really pop up around here every once in a while, heh, mostly because i find internet communities to be overwhelmingly... what's the word... egoic.

after going through the g-bin which used to be one of my favorite boards since you could do anything there, it makes me sad to see it turn into some sort of work safe "4chan"esque minded environment (i see a bunch of regurgitated memes on this site already) not to mention in one of the announcements it says "if you are new nobody cares about you or your opinion," so i guess not much has changed in two years, community wise.

i do however like the fact that people can actually talk on these boards without being continually ridiculed and shat all over, at least that much has changed :P

Lots of files get accepted now. The game has tons of artists. There are stepfile judges who judge what files can and cannot go into FFR. Although not perfect, they get the job done.

thank god... i went back to bemanistyle to see how things had changed and my god... it's so bad... they even wiped their database so all of my work (basically 2 years of my life on this game) is gone, sad. as far as ffr goes, i'm just glad they put in speed mods which is the only reason i never played it.

Arch0wl came back a while back and posts the odd time here and there, though more at ODI (omgdidinsane, a forum with some FFR banned people and some others).

Everyone comes back eventually.

yeah, but i'm sure his fame has definitely wore off... at least to an extent. just like stoners "they always come back," seems to apply to many things in life.

can't say i really miss him though, or any of the older elites

whatever happened to reach, aperson, nima and the like?

rzr
07-14-2008, 02:44 PM
I don't see much elitism by FFYa, just rudeness. And TGB panel, eh. The elitism comes from the jack asses that say their better than everyone else because of their stats, post count, or accomplishments. It's a feat to respect, no more. You cannot truely measure a person's power/honor over the internet, and people do. Which makes them elitists.

TheRapingDragon
07-14-2008, 02:47 PM
Well people like myself prefer to use witticisms and cleverly disguised sarcasm instead of flat out ****ting on people.

Also, egoic isn't a word. Think you probably mean egoistic or egocentric. But what is the internet if not a huge ego pool. You get it where you can.

I don't remember that announcement part but ya, if you saw the influx of bad posts that TGB gets from new posters then you'd feel that way too.

Though TGB unfortunately has become a little bad at the moment, but we have other outlets for better stuff anyway, TGB will improve in time again. There are good threads in there if you look around enough.

EDIT:

You cannot truely measure a person's power/honor over the internet

Yes, you can. Site Owner > Admin > Moderator > User.

The few rule over the many.

Honour and an internet forum should not be mixed.

dAnceguy117
07-14-2008, 02:52 PM
i find internet communities to be overwhelmingly... what's the word... egoic.

egotistical rofl

comparison of the importance of stepmania on ffr THEN and NOW

THEN

http://img296.imageshack.us/img296/1832/smthenmk8.png

NOW

http://img296.imageshack.us/img296/8127/smnowcb4.png

rzr
07-14-2008, 03:01 PM
No, you can't measure how great someone is from behind a screen. You can measure their skills in a particular field, but, without the proper knowledge, the opinion becomes void.

Sudden2
07-14-2008, 03:02 PM
egoic, meaning the thoughtform of the ego, egocentric, egotistical, whatever you want to call it the fact remains that yeah, all people do here and essentially everywhere else is see who's penis is bigger

yeah pete i know, i realized that years ago, the whole sm community crashed and burned and then we all pissed on it, then pissed on each other

it was GRAND!

god damn internet INTERNET

IIINTERNET

DDRBaller123
07-14-2008, 09:27 PM
the sm community is still a crash and burn now. Stepmania.com is a 4.0/ITG convention and bemanistyle.com is making people think that 4.0 is the ****. and odi is for people who thiink ffr is for noobs andi will find a way to flame your ass no matter what. THATS WHAT I THINK

Synthlight
07-14-2008, 09:34 PM
I heard that Synthlight is old.

Cheers,

Synthlight

Grandiagod
07-14-2008, 09:42 PM
You've been alive 15 years longer than me.

But my postcount is bigger so suck it.

virus003
07-14-2008, 09:48 PM

Cheers,

Synthlight

you are old... in an old but in a somewhat cool way xD:lol::lol::lol:

Sudden2
07-14-2008, 11:15 PM
synthlight you will always be old

even when you were young, we were old

you ate old people as a kid

the sm community is still a crash and burn now. Stepmania.com is a 4.0/ITG convention and bemanistyle.com is making people think that 4.0 is the ****. and odi is for people who thiink ffr is for noobs andi will find a way to flame your ass no matter what. THATS WHAT I THINK

i think we can all agree that A) stepmania's community has passed its prime (2004-06) and that it will never return to its former glory and B) odi is everything this forum isn't, even memberwise

in fact i can't even remember what version stepmania was in when i played it... :/

s0ulst0n3
07-14-2008, 11:41 PM
I see many a fail in thread. :)

Welcome back.

danthemano
07-15-2008, 12:13 AM
i went to the sm page once.
then i immediately went to favorites and clicked on my well-worn link to my fav website:ffr>
:~D

classicalrocker
07-15-2008, 12:43 AM
Welcome bck, i jus came bck couple of days ago too, havent been on in like 3 years

rzr
07-15-2008, 12:45 AM
The StepMania forums suck. Like, they just really suck. I got a 2 day ban for trolling once, so I decided to head over there and see what they're made of. It's like post whores running around cluttering the site. No moderators. The game threads ****ing suck. They had some like "ban the above poster" and "let's use bad grammar" where it wasn't even grammar, just retarded spelling. The only good game there was when I brought over TWG.

Xx{Midnight}xX
07-15-2008, 01:22 AM

Cheers,

Synthlight

He is.

You've been alive 15 years longer than me.

But my postcount is bigger so suck it.

that's just a bad image i just might puke.

I see many a epic fail in thread. :)

Welcome back.

Fixxed.

Welcome Home again!

Go_Oilers_Go
07-15-2008, 02:19 AM
Welcome back. I hope you get obsessed again. ;)

LLaMaSaUceYup
07-15-2008, 02:26 AM
Welcome back, huge discussion in this thread 0.o
;D
Have fun!

Sudden2
07-15-2008, 02:50 AM
Welcome back. I hope you get obsessed again. ;)

you know it's really ironic

after picking up some of the new popular stepfiles for stepmania, after puking my guts out at how ****ing horribly ****ty the standards have gotten with those things (come on guys triplets, mines, and bull**** like the liberal use of 64ths doesn't make a fun file to play, personally, stepmania died with the "spread" fad) and after uninstalling stepmania (again) i realized that the only keyboard based ddr rhythm game worth playing is FFR... following a short lamentation for the ******ry that a once great game called stepmania has suffered i saw the hilarious irony in it all

i never thought ffr would trump stepmania, ever

i guess with the rise of ffr, so too does the fall of this community begin with the (ever increasing) influx of immaturity and the new elites

but god damn i have never had so much fun with flashflashrevolution in my life, this game has really made some impressive progress and i'm interested to see where this project ends up. at the moment things look pretty promising, i don't think synth has to worry about payments anymore due to the loyal fanbase this site has accumulated (one million+ members... wow...) and it seems that a "new generation" of music simulation enthusiasts will only bolster the popularity and imminent positive additions to the game, since i left everything about R1 that sucked has been operated on and it's obvious that the game's engine has gone under the knife quite a few times but the surgery looks great as far as playability and concept goes, even though the game looks childish and "fan" based at first glance ;) what would be amazing is to see an updated version of R2 with much more content, multiplayer capabilities and overall stability (playing with "EVENT" and "CLEARED" and other various graphic bugs really bogs the beauty of that project...) though seeing as how long it took for R2 to finally be released i don't see that happening anytime soon.

fo3h4mm3r
07-15-2008, 03:03 AM
what would be amazing is to see an updated version of R2 with much more content, multiplayer capabilities and overall stability (playing with "EVENT" and "CLEARED" and other various graphic bugs really bogs the beauty of that project...) though seeing as how long it took for R2 to finally be released i don't see that happening anytime soon.

Well im guessing that Synth really doesn't want R2 to be like stepmania.. >.>

-paexaea-
07-15-2008, 03:17 AM
To be honest, the StepMania community now is disgraceful, I've got to admit. I've looked at past threads and other things to study up I guess, but you're right. It's nothing like it was back then. Now it's filled with people who think immature jokes are funny and using bad grammar and misspelling on purpose. Though they do it, it's mainly harmless fun and I would like to think that it's still fun and games with a competative feel to it.

And to what you say about the good years of StepMania ending with the "spread fad" couldn't be more wrong. I say this because StepMania is branching to be more of a IIDX or Pop'n-esque game because of pitch relevancy. The StepMania players of today want more of a challenge, so implementing mines and hands and all the other **** help to prove that you are good and use it as bragging rights.

TheRapingDragon
07-15-2008, 03:25 AM
Solo is more important now anyway.

Solo is everything.

Though about R2, I doubt it'll be implemented like that. FFR is trying to be unique and R2 is more along the lines of SM (as someone above me said).

dAnceguy117
07-15-2008, 02:17 PM
The people who DO still play SM now are absolutely, ridiculously, stupidly, tremendously ****ing good at it.

R2 isn't gonna be updated, but 3rd Style is in the works, which will give the game a cleaner look and feel. The StepMania community could come back just as easily as ever, but it would take a whole different group of people to do it. The community was ALWAYS driven by fads, and the way ODI has taken it isn't at all friendly to newcomers or people who don't play at a very, very high level. I don't know what the communities on SMG or SMO (does it exist) are like, but I would assume they branched out in similar directions.

tl;dr stepmania

Sudden2
07-15-2008, 07:13 PM
The people who DO still play SM now are absolutely, ridiculously, stupidly, tremendously ****ing good at it.

not that it even really matters, it's just going to be a bunch of cockwagging anyway, basically it's whoever can bash out better scores using spread on really really terrible files on equally terrible songs that consist of ****ty metal songs played as fast as possible, or equally ****ty breakcore or esoteric rave music that nobody listens to (for a reason)

stepmania was fun because making files that made sense and tried to simulate the ddr experience (indexes) on a keyboard made it a really great game, not to mention the liberal use of flowing patterns, creative steps that either mimicked the exact sound of the music, or added an extra percussion effect, not to mention whoring songs to get good scores was always rewarding, and SMO was fun and reasonable. nowadays it's WHO CAN MAKE THE CHOPPIEST, HARDEST FILE YOU CANNOT POSSIBLY FULL COMBO WITH AS MANY TRIPLETS AS YOU CAN ALLOW AND MINES UP YOUR ASS SO YOU HAVE TO MEMORIZE CHARTS TO THE REGURGITATED LOVECHILD REMIXES OF DJ SHARPNEL AND M1DY AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAWWW YEAH

not trying to sound nostalgic or anything, but honestly i really would like to see a respectable community come forth based on reasonable, artistic stepmania gameplay, it's like mainstream rock now, it's ****ty and there's no art or finesse to it, it's all about the competition, hell, even the backgrounds for the majority of the "good" files were jacked from deviantart or puked together in paintshop pro

as far as R2 goes, yeah i know it's not supposed to be like stepmania but let's be honest here, it is A LOT like stepmania, i'm sure many people here would be happy with just a little bit of new content, it just needs some lovin' is all :)

And to what you say about the good years of StepMania ending with the "spread fad" couldn't be more wrong. I say this because StepMania is branching to be more of a IIDX or Pop'n-esque game because of pitch relevancy. The StepMania players of today want more of a challenge, so implementing mines and hands and all the other **** help to prove that you are good and use it as bragging rights.

and you're probably right, i lost interest in the stepmania community long before the spread play style became popular, so i wouldn't really know, it just seems that with its popularity came this whole new fad of "extreme" stepmania play

in all honesty if they want a challenge there ARE simulators out there to do it, sadly they aren't popular enough, aren't versatile enough (stepmania's simfile editor is extremely useful, and still is), or only exists in foreign languages making them cumbersome and frustrating, it just makes me sad that they had to take a great game like stepmania and turn it into stepmania IIDX or popnmania, or whatever you want to call it. if the only people who play the game anymore are superhuman at it then where's the next generation going to come from? god forbid if ANYONE uses stepmania with a pad anymore besides the asian kid next door with a 56k connection who downloads DDR packs over the course of a few weeks, or if anyone ever steps a song below difficulty 10, it's just a matter of time before they all suffer from something similar to carpel tunnel and can't play the game anymore "remember that one time i could...?"

JurseyRider734
07-15-2008, 07:18 PM
oh hey

McLaReN212
07-15-2008, 07:29 PM
odi is friendly to newcomers, just not retarded ones

like... i dunno. i guess i can see why people would think that but it's really not true, as long as you're not a douche

the sm community has fallen off a bit yeah 8( it's even worse than when i played, and that was worse than the so called golden age

nowadays it's WHO CAN MAKE THE CHOPPIEST, HARDEST FILE YOU CANNOT POSSIBLY FULL COMBO WITH AS MANY TRIPLETS AS YOU CAN ALLOW AND MINES UP YOUR ASS SO YOU HAVE TO MEMORIZE CHARTS TO THE REGURGITATED LOVECHILD REMIXES OF DJ SHARPNEL AND M1DY AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAWWW YEAH

well i mean try to get glove to step files again then hehe

Artic_counter
07-15-2008, 07:49 PM
it just makes me sad that they had to take a great game like stepmania and turn it into stepmania IIDX or popnmania, or whatever you want to call it. if the only people who play the game anymore are superhuman at it then where's the next generation going to come from? god forbid if ANYONE uses stepmania with a pad anymore besides the asian kid next door with a 56k connection who downloads DDR packs over the course of a few weeks, or if anyone ever steps a song below difficulty 10, it's just a matter of time before they all suffer from something similar to carpel tunnel and can't play the game anymore "remember that one time i could...?"

Well, I have to admit that the community sucks but StepMania is still a great game tho. I think that there is still a lot of people playing it actually. Of course, the game has loosen his popularity so it might have a hard time finding new people but I'm sure the game will last for like 3 years.

I'm still playing at StepMania but I'm not a superhuman. I'm pretty good tho.

***English isn't my native langage so you might have a hard time reading my stuff :D***

Sudden2
07-15-2008, 08:48 PM
not at all, artic :)

i do agree that stepmania is an excellent game, there's a reason i still have it installed on my old computer, because it's such a great thing

sadly the game NEEDS a community to be fun because the community produces, essentially, the "software"[files] for the "hardware"[game], and when the software sucks, so does the game

kind of wish i hadn't have wiped my song folder a while back D:!

oh hey

sup bitch

-paexaea-
07-15-2008, 09:10 PM
The thing is, Sudden, there ARE still people who play index and use the pad on SMO, it's just sparce as hell. I mean, whenever I'm on SMO, its usually half keyboard and half pad. What gets me though is people playing PAD files on a KEYBOARD. WHERE'S THE FUN IN THAT? I mean, god damn, that's what KEYBOARD files are for.

Anyways, enough of my ranting. Eventually, as Reaper mentioned, solo will eventually take over singles as the reigning fad. It's just another age just passing through.

By the way, you can still keep your old files and treasure them and still play them. Just not everyone will want to.

Sudden2
07-15-2008, 10:16 PM
yeah that's exactly why i'm sad that they're gone, lol i can't find 'em anywhere, all of them are gone apparently

but yeah, that's kind of what i'm getting at, the stepmania i know is gone

but the idea of people playing keyboard files on the pad? that's some sick talent right there... i would have a heart attack if i had to pound out 16ths like most keyboard files do

(or 64ths, according to these newer files...)