PDA

View Full Version : So, I want to switch AV's...

IAAW
07-10-2008, 11:19 AM
Well, my Norton thing expired, so I want to see what good AV's I could use. Remember, it has to be a good one, and it BETTER NOT BE A ****ED UP INFECTED ONE. Or else you will feel my wrath. And have one less arm to use.

bluguerrilla
07-10-2008, 11:20 AM
Avast! seems to work pretty well. And it's free. http://www.avast.com/

Plus, it makes you feel like a pirate.

TheRapingDragon
07-10-2008, 11:21 AM
I just use AVG and haven't had any problems.

Thugzluv200
07-10-2008, 01:40 PM
I use Stopsign, Cost monthly but it works amazing

Squeek
07-10-2008, 05:05 PM
You could just use nothing, like I do.

I haven't used antivirus for 8 years and I've never gotten a virus.

TheRapingDragon
07-10-2008, 05:20 PM
You could just use nothing, like I do.

I haven't used antivirus for 8 years and I've never gotten a virus.

How would you know if you've never scanned to see if you have one.

Squeek
07-10-2008, 05:47 PM
Because viruses aren't spyware. They affect your system.

The purpose of a virus isn't to obtain information, it's to make your system fail in some way.

TheRapingDragon
07-10-2008, 07:40 PM
I've seen viruses that sit on a PC for ages but don't actually completely wreck the PC. Merely do other things like cause slowdown or other things like that.

Ones that may go unnoticed unless you actually scanned your PC.

danthemano
07-10-2008, 08:31 PM
I just use AVG and haven't had any problems.

i also use AVG.
i would recommend it.
seems somewhat trustworthy...

Squeek
07-10-2008, 08:34 PM
I've seen viruses that sit on a PC for ages but don't actually completely wreck the PC. Merely do other things like cause slowdown or other things like that.

Ones that may go unnoticed unless you actually scanned your PC.

Then... that would be something else. Not a virus. No virus just "stops" working. If it starts making your computer slower, it'll keep working on making it slower until it no longer works.

"The term "virus" is also commonly used, albeit erroneously, to refer to many different types of malware and adware programs."

"Viruses are sometimes confused with computer worms and Trojan horses."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Computer_virus

I use a virtual machine copy of XP to install all programs I will only use once or rarely since I don't want to muck up my registry with them and I want to keep them from installing unnecessary files onto my actual windows files. Also because half of them are malicious. I've installed known viruses into my virtual machine for fun to see how they work, and they can't affect a virtual machine very well, but I can see what they do. The one I remember doing last put a file into System32 and registered it with Windows so I would be unable to delete it, then made it continuously run so even if I disassociated it with Windows, I would be unable to delete it because it was "in use". That file would make new files that would add themselves to startup, which would make new files whenever the machine was rebooted.

It took me about ten seconds to remove it. I didn't use an antivirus.

Now this is not to be confused with spyware, which can add itself to your computer all the time. Viruses need to be downloaded, and anyone with any knowledge of browsers (aka almost everyone with Firefox) will prevent viruses without even trying. Spyware, on the other hand, comes in regardless of your browser (though it's much less frequent with Firefox) and there's not much you can do about it. But spyware doesn't do anything, and all you need is Spybot to make it all go away.

TheRapingDragon
07-10-2008, 08:40 PM
Perhaps I was thinking of a Trojan Horse. Possible. Can't think as I haven't seen any problems with PCs recently.

IAAW
07-10-2008, 09:17 PM
I think Squeek just won this thread.

Squeek
07-10-2008, 09:58 PM
touchdown

roundbox
07-11-2008, 12:05 AM
I have NOD32. Updates everyday. Haven't had a problem and I've been to several corners of the internet