PDA

View Full Version : socio-power complexes on the internet

VxDx
04-13-2004, 10:49 AM
I wonder, sometimes, if people who act powerful and superior to others on the internet have underlying issues that stem from the real world. Perhaps, those who act as though they have something to prove, really do, only they try to prove to themselves that the person that they are in the real world in not the person that they really are. They try to create an internet persona that antithesises who they are outside of their room and their computer. Take, for instance, Arch0wl. He acts as though he's the most respected person on the internet, however false this claim may be. In reality, one must wonder if he gets any respect. He puts forth an image of authority and power that is directly contrasted by the picures he posts.

It is an intersting thing, to look at the social effects of the internet, especially on the more introverted. It's almost as though the opportunity for power, for change from reality beckons to those who are generally rejected in life.

Anonymous
04-13-2004, 11:09 AM
Aren't you the same way?

VxDx
04-13-2004, 11:11 AM
how so?

makaveli121212
04-13-2004, 12:45 PM
guest = me

dont bullshit with me, i know...i dont think that anyone would have the exact same personality in real life and on the net...its very different being an ass to people in person rather than here...trust me, ive been there...for people that live a more secluded life, why would they want to have the same sort of e-life...its always good to mix things up

VxDx
04-13-2004, 12:57 PM
so you agree with what I posted then?

87x
04-13-2004, 01:08 PM
well.. i kinda agree with maka.. and i kinda agree with you Vx (first time i think i have ever said that).. but.. i dont think its as deep as you make it out to be.. i dont think anybody can honestly say the get happy from "telling off" internet kids.. because who would you brag about it too??... your mom??.. she would just tell you to get a life.. your friends?? they also ould just laugh at you.. The only reason i get and satisfaction from modding this forum is because im an admin.. meaning that I'm a highly trusted by the owner of a site with 250+ thousand members.. being 1 of the 6 ( i think admins ), and being choosen out of the 250+ thousand people was a huge honor for me.. so i only get happy in real life about this site, and my "internet personality" (which if you were to ask anyone of my friends, to compare the two together, they would tell its basically the same thing) is if im helping out this site by doing some type of modding using my entrusted power..

i kinda went off on a limb on the topic i think, but all im basically trying to say is that, i don't really think the majority of people who act tough online get any realy satisfaction out of it in real life.. im pretty sure some people do.. just not the masses..

RobbyZero
04-13-2004, 01:31 PM
Getting a high or a rush from telling someone off on the internet is sad. That's why when someone tries to make fun or me or put me down I ignore it,they're either complete idiots and strangers anyway so it can't really offend you right?

I can't really express the show people how I act on forums it's just not possible,you may think im a jerk and all but im really not :)

Anonymous
04-13-2004, 01:41 PM
so you agree with what I posted then?

yeah, that shouldnt have been hard to understand, but you fall into the same category as well

VxDx
04-13-2004, 02:18 PM
First off, login you lazy bastard. Second, are you saying that I'm sonehow on a power trip because of my lack of power in real life? If so I would ask that you show me one instance of it. If not, and you are just saying that I act a bit differently on the internet, then of course I do. Because the internet involves no personal interaction, it follows that actions on the internet where acquanitance doesn't come into play will always be different than in reality.

Specforces
04-13-2004, 02:54 PM
I think what VxDx said is true, there are some people that strive for emotional and social gratification through downing others on the net and using so-called "status" to somehow make themselves seem better than others. This probably stems from one's lack of real social acceptance, thus causing an individual to lash out on others the same way people that one perceives to be "better" lash out at that particular individual. Also, this individual may percieve any newfound power as too little, thus wanting even more. Napolean was this way, a short individual, not respected by many, until his military strength emerged, same with Hitler, and possibly G.W. Bush.

Specforces

Arch0wl
04-13-2004, 03:23 PM
In person I'm really laid back. I still say whatever is on my mind, I just don't think things in a harsh tone, because people's stupidity shows more on the net than in person.

Anonymous
04-13-2004, 03:36 PM
First off, login you lazy bastard. Second, are you saying that I'm sonehow on a power trip because of my lack of power in real life? If so I would ask that you show me one instance of it. If not, and you are just saying that I act a bit differently on the internet, then of course I do. Because the internet involves no personal interaction, it follows that actions on the internet where acquanitance doesn't come into play will always be different than in reality.

firstly no, secondly I'm not a bastard. Yes there are numerous times when you talk down to people here, especially nUbs. Here you can be fairly harsh in your comments, but when it comes to real life when you insult someone youre doing it as part of a group and/or jokingly (but not really jokingly) and rarely is it harsh in nature.

Synthlight
04-13-2004, 03:52 PM
It's interesting that you bring this up VXDX because you always seem to act like you are above everyone else. I would also like to point out comments you make when people post about their personal feelings and you respond with sayings like "Go kill yourself".

I am not trying to start a fight with you here. But it seems like you often post with your topics aimed at Arch. Why is it that his actions and position bother you so much?

Confused..

Cheers,

Synthlight

VxDx
04-13-2004, 04:04 PM
Here you can be fairly harsh in your comments, but when it comes to real life when you insult someone youre doing it as part of a group and/or jokingly (but not really jokingly) and rarely is it harsh in nature.

When I make fun of someone on here it's often in just as joking of a fashion as in reality. You'll note that, as in real life, sometimes I do get serious, but then I don't say things that are simple insults, but rather I make arguements.

It's interesting that you bring this up VXDX because you always seem to act like you are above everyone else. I would also like to point out comments you make when people post about their personal feelings and you respond with sayings like "Go kill yourself".

I am not trying to start a fight with you here. But it seems like you often post with your topics aimed at Arch. Why is it that his actions and position bother you so much?

I don't act like I'm above others, unless you just consider pointing out flaws to be akin to superiority. The "go kill yourself" was hardly serious. In this case, Arch was just an example that was given to me. Myself and another person were discussing how Arch looks completely different in pictures than one would imagine based on how he acts.

He irks me because of his behavior in previous instances. I'm a jackass and he's a jackass, and that'll never breed friendship.

Freak83
04-13-2004, 04:06 PM

Erm, for this particular thread Arch0wl makes a good example...

Not sure about elsewhere though.

Synthlight
04-13-2004, 04:08 PM
yes, warned...that'll happen. however, if this was a "good" forum you'd be banned for posting in the WRONG FORUM FUCKFACE

No one cares.
stfu n0b.

you're all retarded

You're an idiot and a n0b, and that's 10x worse than just being a n0b.

Just some examples of you joking.. I still think this topic goes back to you hating the fact that arch is a mod.

Cheers,

Synthlight

Anonymous
04-13-2004, 04:12 PM
how does what you look like have anything to do with how you act, especially on the internet...i dont think that was the real intent of this thread, was it? you wanted to point out that people on the internet dont look like what you would think they look like because of how they act? i find that personality has little in common with physical appearance

VxDx
04-13-2004, 04:14 PM
yes, warned...that'll happen. however, if this was a "good" forum you'd be banned for posting in the WRONG FORUM FUCKFACE

No one cares.
stfu n0b.

you're all retarded

You're an idiot and a n0b, and that's 10x worse than just being a n0b.

Just some examples of you joking.. I still think this topic goes back to you hating the fact that arch is a mod.

Cheers,

Synthlight

well, you're completely wrong. All of those were instances of joking, and the wrong forum fuckface is common on another forum I am a member of. The stfu n0b was in response to moogy's equally worthless no one cares. The others are similar.

I don't really hate that Arch is a mod. Like I've said before, there's nothing I can do about that so I accept it. I didn't like the way he went about moderating at first, but as of late he's toned down on the message editing and deleting, and has thusly become a non-issue. Like I said, he was just a good example. If you don't believe me, fine, but don't say you don't want to start a fight and then call me a liar.

VxDx
04-13-2004, 04:15 PM
how does what you look like have anything to do with how you act, especially on the internet...i dont think that was the real intent of this thread, was it? you wanted to point out that people on the internet dont look like what you would think they look like because of how they act? i find that personality has little in common with physical appearance

and yet it's human nature to put a face to a personality isn't it? Stop trying to start an arguement and stop posting anonymously.

Synthlight
04-13-2004, 04:19 PM
I never called you a liar.

Cheers,

Synthlight

VxDx
04-13-2004, 04:21 PM
In this case, Arch was just an example that was given to me.

I still think this topic goes back to you hating the fact that arch is a mod.

Anonymous
04-13-2004, 04:22 PM
no i dont want to, just as arch is a mod, i will do this, and you can do nothing about it, so accept it...putting a face to a personality, ive never heard that or imagined that ever in my life...you just walked your way around in a circle and its obvious youre trying to back your way out without looking a complete jackass...good luck...and if you really didnt want to start an arguement you would have never put archs name in there, good example or not...i mean its not like you really know how he acts in real life

VxDx
04-13-2004, 04:36 PM
Stop trying to start an arguement

How does Arch being a mod have anything to do with you posting anonymously? Why wouldn't you want people to know that it's you posting?

People put faces to personalities all the time. I assume that you've never heard anyone say something like "that's not how I imagined you" or "he/she looks a lot different than I imagined.".

Look, Arch was an example. He was easy to use because he acts like a jackass a lot on here, and one would imagine that he doesn't as much in real life. Frankly, I've had a few people in this thread that agree with me and my choice of example. I never said "Arch acts mean but really is a big pansy who doesn't have any friends." I clearly said "one must wonder if he gets any respect" Did I say he didn't? no. I said that one must wonder, which means that it makes you wonder.

This topic wasn't about Arch until you made it about him, so kindly stop trying to prove whatever it is you think you're proving for whatever flawed reason you may have.

Anonymous
04-13-2004, 04:52 PM
what does arch being a mod have to do with me not logging in, well let me explain, whether you like or not it will continue and you can nothing about it, so accept it...and people do know its me posting...I made it about him? man youre retarded, like i said before if you hadnt used him as an example no one would have said anything, plus synth was the first person to even address the arch issue...

This topic wasn't about Arch until you made it about him, so kindly stop trying to prove whatever it is you think you're proving for whatever flawed reason you may have.

haha, what a pathetic way to try to wiggle your way out of the corner you backed yourself into...and dont give me this bullshit about how arch is an 'example' and nothing more...i recall you telling me about this thread, its purpose, and who would be mentioned in it nefore you even made the thread...oh and also who put you up to it

VxDx
04-13-2004, 05:04 PM
hmmm, this puts us in an intersting position, seeing as this even better illustrates my point. I told you over the phone that I was going to make a thread about the difference between people on the internet and in real life, including arch as an example. You said nothing really on the matter, and yet you came here and made a big deal about it. The discussion about arch was the reason I made the thread, but the thread itself uses Arch only as an example. You'll note that I made no reference to this pissing off Arch or anything like that when we talked. You'll also note that in the thread, Arch was only briefly mentioned.

Synthlight
04-13-2004, 05:12 PM
I think it is funny that people talk about FFR on the phone... That's pretty cool.

</randomness>

Cheers,

Synthlight

Omeganitros
04-13-2004, 05:15 PM
Wow...Its like a sophisticated flame war...

Anticrombie0909
04-13-2004, 05:20 PM
Let's hear it for Synth and his randomness. That sounds like something Jewpin would do.

Anyway Vx, whether or not you're trying to, you do come across as a bit of a hypocrite, here. I mean you're funny, and I realize that you're joking, as do most people- I highly doubt Synth feels that you saying "go kill yourself" was meant with malicious tone. But you're saying that some people act like assholes online to compensate for their social status in real life, and well...you kind of act like an asshole sometimes. I laugh when you say "shut up n0b" (well, the first time I did, after time 284938 it got old), but when you say that to a n00b who doesn't know any better, he's gonna take you literally. That's the difference between real life and internet right there, the inability to use gestures or tones that can make it clear what you mean.

Listen. You're not a bad guy in the slightest. But don't post stuff like this commenting on other people's behavior, when yours is so highly critisized. I mean half the people I talk to refer to you as the "forum troll." You do have a brain, because it surfaces in threads like this, or computer threads, or threads when you actually try to be serious- you just don't use it in 99% of your postings.

And really, your obsession with Arch's modding needs to stop, and that goes for you too, Maka. If you're suprised that people are connecting whatever negativity you write with Arch, then you obviously havn't been reading your posts lately.

Anonymous
04-13-2004, 05:20 PM
hmmm, this puts us in an intersting position, seeing as this even better illustrates my point. I told you over the phone that I was going to make a thread about the difference between people on the internet and in real life, including arch as an example. You said nothing really on the matter, and yet you came here and made a big deal about it. The discussion about arch was the reason I made the thread, but the thread itself uses Arch only as an example. You'll note that I made no reference to this pissing off Arch or anything like that when we talked. You'll also note that in the thread, Arch was only briefly mentioned.

please, you just continue to bullshit, you and i both know your intent and the purpose of this thread and it was not to generally talk about peoples personalities in real life and on the internet...and youre right i didnt make a big deal out of it before, youre point is...

then i bring you up, like you brought up arch, and then you get right back on the defensive...if you cant take the heat, dont dish it out...

Synthlight
04-13-2004, 05:42 PM
Very interesting stuff going on here.. While the discussion continues I must leave for a few hours and go speak about something much more important. I am attending a diabetic support group tonight and will be speaking about insulin pumps and how they have changed my son's life for the better.

Cheers,

Synthlight

Jordy0823
04-13-2004, 05:50 PM
well, back on topic... i try to be as much as i can on the net like i am in real life... most (if not all) things I post.. i would definately say in real life.. whether i got my ass kicked or not.. thats how I am...

Anonymous
04-13-2004, 08:07 PM
i dont see any reason to continue to argue..well let me rephrase that, i dont see any reason to continue making vxd look like an idiot so i will stop...these forums are a form of entertainment thats what theyre here for and when i come on these forums i look to make things entertaining for me and the members...in this case/thread i really have no strong feelings either way, but i knew i could back vxd into a corner...so why the hell not...maybe im pissing him off and acting like an asshole towards him, but its greatly entertaining for me and many other users im sure...everyone likes to see him get 'served' and this thread was the perfect opportunity...for all your entertainment needs make sure you give me the heads up, i can spice things up

Omeganitros
04-13-2004, 08:12 PM
i dont see any reason to continue to argue..well let me rephrase that, i dont see any reason to continue making vxd look like an idiot so i will stop...these forums are a form of entertainment thats what theyre here for and when i come on these forums i look to make things entertaining for me and the members...in this case/thread i really have no strong feelings either way, but i knew i could back vxd into a corner...so why the hell not...maybe im pissing him off and acting like an asshole towards him, but its greatly entertaining for me and many other users im sure...everyone likes to see him get 'served' and this thread was the perfect opportunity...for all your entertainment needs make sure you give me the heads up, i can spice things up

OH SNAP VX GOT SERVED!

Up shut. If you have an actual account, you have no reason to be logged in as a guest just to "serve" him.

alainbryden
04-13-2004, 08:16 PM
I agree with VxDx very much in everything he said. But it gets more complicated. I have little if not no life outside of my time on ffr, and it really does affect me. I know very well what to take seriously and not, but what I'm saying is FFR is more my "real life" than anything else. I do act differently on the internet. I inhibit myself less and I think the internet is where I act without the innate fear of meer physical appearance/sound. I'm not sure about other people but on the net, through the friends I make and the things I write, I am the person that I wish I could be. Actually...that's kinda sad.

makaveli121212
04-13-2004, 08:22 PM
Up shut. If you have an actual account, you have no reason to be logged in as a guest just to "serve" him.

you wanna get served too....im the guest, every guest, it was explained somewhere on the first page, i was too lazy to log in, and by no means was i trying to conceal my identity...plus no one can blame me for whrong now anyway

VxDx
04-13-2004, 10:10 PM
It's funny that you think that I "got served" when the response has been mostly...

and i kinda agree with you Vx (first time i think i have ever said that)

I think what VxDx is true

Erm, for this particular thread Arch0wl makes a good example...

I agree with VxDx very much in everything he said

alainbryden
04-13-2004, 10:42 PM
served. XD

Anonymous
04-14-2004, 01:03 AM
What about people with speech impediments, or people that mumble, or talk really softly.

Everybody's voice is the same volume in text. It puts people on a more equal playing ground. It's pretty hard to intimidate somebody who's 1000 miles away from you, which is what a lot of people depend on to win arguments.

"The internet is the megaphone of the meek."
-perfect_fat (SOOOOO COPYRIGHTED!)

Specforces
04-14-2004, 05:15 AM
Interesting randomness Synthlight, how about we get this thread back on the topic of socio-power complexes?

Specforces

Monoc
04-14-2004, 05:22 AM
You can still shout out your opponents on the internet by being overbearing, overtly critical, and YELLING at people. A lot of people, even through the anonimity of the internet, still feel a minor twang of rejection if someone swats them aside and says STFU FUCKTARD, especially if it is from an established member of a community to one who is trying to join.
I really don't think that that is much of an issue in this particular debate because everyone is already established and obviously don't give a fuck about what other people think of them, but you have to understand that some people take the internet more seriously than they probably should.

alainbryden
04-14-2004, 08:00 AM
STFU #$#%

jk, I agree. But I stand by what I originally said more.

Jam930
04-14-2004, 08:13 AM
I feel alot smaller on the internet than in real life...Alot more people, alot more connections and people constantly stepping on me, just look around you'll see some. I dont get that stuff in real life. but sometimes it's nice just to sit down and find some random people to share your thoughts with =D.

Anonymous
04-14-2004, 02:18 PM

You are the only person so far that thinks VxDx is backed into a corner.

Oh yea, I also agree with VxDx.

AlbinoLime
04-14-2004, 02:22 PM
uh...... I got logged out :(

Lupin_the_3rd
04-14-2004, 04:10 PM
And really, your obsession with Arch's modding needs to stop,

...notice how Vxdx didn't bring that into this conversation

TylerNantt
04-14-2004, 06:40 PM
You silly kids, none of what you say matters, though i find it interesting that when someone acts better than you(fundemental attribution error) that they are immediately bastards, or jackasses. Why can't they just be stuck up.

Lupin_the_3rd
04-14-2004, 08:26 PM
You silly kids, none of what you say matters

and considering this is your first post....you're telling us what to do?

i don't see why calling someone a bastard or a jackass is any different that saying stuck up, except for the part where you'd look like a pansy if you said "stuck up"

Lupin_the_3rd
04-14-2004, 09:01 PM
why the quotes? why the one word responses? I think everybody pretty much knows that whenever I say something derogatory to somebody else I own them :wink:

VxDx
04-15-2004, 09:32 AM
: ( deleted.

Moogy
04-15-2004, 07:27 PM
stfu n0b

Right...

Well, I agree that there are idiots on the internet that act like they have some sort of authority over other people, for no real reason other than the fact that they're dumbasses.

But the rest just kind of turned into a bunch of repetitive refutals and rebuttals, so I skimmed over most of the topic.

I agree with your basic point, however.