PDA

View Full Version : Please help me improve my DragonForce sims.

N.T.M.
03-19-2008, 04:09 PM
When I mention sims in the plural form I'm referring to future sims as presently I've only made one.

Now I need somebody to really critique every detail of my sim ideally. I was criticized on the layering. As I understood it layering refers to what instrument you sync to and the conversion to another one. Frequently I mixed up the guitar with the drums to make things more interesting. Was that a bad idea? What should I have synced to?

Here's a copy of the description to cover some more details:

"So this starts off pretty slow excluding the jacks near the intro. 24ths are isolated to only two places: one near the intro and the other in the main solo. Many of the beats are difficult to hear, so the syncing may seem questionable at points (although it is accurate). Pretty unbiased steps IMO (or perhaps I'm just oblivious from doing it this way for so long). The song's not quite finished although it does include the climax being the solo. It's approximately 6.5 minutes long and ends just before repeating the beginning again. If you want a full version I'll probably do that later. There's a 50% tempo reduction in the intro to show the relative speed. Originally I thought this sim's never been stepped before. So after finding out otherwise I'd like to know which one you guys prefer. I never played the other one. Please let me know how this one compares. Thanks, guys, and God bless!"

Link to sim:

http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/sims/index.php?songid=25443

I wanna "master" DragonForce and create a 10/10 file. What should I have done differently?

All criticism appreciated! Thanks.

-Nick

xinpig
03-19-2008, 04:20 PM
it is hard to make a perfect DF stepchart. or any stepchart for that matter. there will always be somebody that doesnt like something you included

N.T.M.
03-19-2008, 04:34 PM
it is hard to make a perfect DF stepchart. or any stepchart for that matter. there will always be somebody that doesnt like something you included

I know :(. I'm trying to find what the majority likes. Like on one sim I'll make a very detailed pattern and somebody will say I should "change it up" more. Then when I "loosen" the patterns people say it's too randomized.

I wanna eventually be known as an elite stepper. How do I go about doing that? I thought DragonForce might help.

infinity.
03-19-2008, 04:39 PM
to be completely honest
you wont make a 10/10 on a dragonforce sim
the songs are uninteresting and repetitive.

do something fun and original

N.T.M.
03-19-2008, 07:39 PM
to be completely honest
you wont make a 10/10 on a dragonforce sim
the songs are uninteresting and repetitive.

do something fun and original

See that's why I changed it up so much in the intro: cuz it was so repetitive. Their solos kick ass though.

Engler
03-19-2008, 07:43 PM
It's not that Dragonforce simfiles are terrible. It's just that they're so generic and common that people are losing interest in them altogether. As Infinity mentioned, your best shot at making a well-received file is to step something that hasn't been stepped millions of times.

trumaestro
03-19-2008, 09:03 PM
When I mention sims in the plural form I'm referring to future sims as presently I've only made one.

Now I need somebody to really critique every detail of my sim ideally. I was criticized on the layering. As I understood it layering refers to what instrument you sync to and the conversion to another one. Frequently I mixed up the guitar with the drums to make things more interesting. Was that a bad idea? What should I have synced to?

Answering the questions you asked:
Yes.
Multiple instruments at the same time.

Here: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=IJ4S8SRT
Download that. It's the .sm file from "Once in a Lifetime", stepped by you. Replace the one you have with this one. I've put in a few things

Medium: What you could have layered with
Heavy: Your original, untouched
Oni: Lead guitar by itself. (Noticed a few errors, especially with pitch relevancy.)
Edit: Lead guitar, bass, and drums layered together into a "finished" product

It's probably not the best example, but it should give you an idea of what layering is. I only did the intro because I have an assignment to do.

Also, fixed gap a little.
Also, what Engler said.
Also, I don't completely know what I'm talking about, but I think I have a fairly good understanding.
EDIT: Also, http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/showthread.php?t=82080

N.T.M.
03-19-2008, 09:07 PM
Answering the questions you asked:
Yes.
Multiple instruments at the same time.

Here: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=IJ4S8SRT
Download that. It's the .sm file from "Once in a Lifetime", stepped by you. Replace the one you have with this one. I've put in a few things

Medium: What you could have layered with
Heavy: Your original, untouched
Oni: Lead guitar by itself. (Noticed a few errors, especially with pitch relevancy.)
Edit: Lead guitar, bass, and drums layered together into a "finished" product

It's probably not the best example, but it should give you an idea of what layering is. I only did the intro because I have an assignment to do.

Also, fixed gap a little.
Also, what Engler said.
Also, I don't completely know what I'm talking about, but I think I have a fairly good understanding.

Thanks for going through the effort to do all that! I'll check it out.

giganutsauce
03-24-2008, 02:28 PM
download MSWGO Guitar Solo

stepped by lolTorrent

massflavour
03-24-2008, 03:17 PM
torrent makes bad files

hehe

giganutsauce
03-24-2008, 03:19 PM
unfortunatly, that sim will be the best dragonforce sim for a while