PDA

View Full Version : new to FFR - can I use a dance pad??

cjcrawford
11-16-2007, 03:03 PM
Hi - I'm looking through the website but can't find any information about hooking a dance pad through the computer although I understand that FFR uses the stepmania engine which I know does interface to pads. Can anyone help me out on this? Thaks much.

Chris

devonin
11-16-2007, 03:12 PM
Theoretically, you could connect the pad to your computer as an input device generally, by mapping the arrows to certain keys. I've known people to play games that had nothing to do with arrows and steps using a DDR pad simply as a controller or ersatz keyboard.

You'd find however, that you won't be able to play the majority of songs on a pad unless you are ridiculously good at DDR. There are songs here that are only 6 or 7 out of 12 that are the match for many a 10-foot song I've seen on DDR.

The use of a pad here isn't explicitly supported, but as I said, if you connect up the pad as a general input device, you could certainly map the pad arrows to the keyboard arrows and play that way.

cjcrawford
11-16-2007, 03:19 PM
Hi Devonin - finally some useful advice after sorting through too much stuff on the forums. Thank You! So can you give me some more good advice? I'm trying to get some kind of DDR step game going for my daughters. I ordered a red octane pad. I would prefer not to get a game controller (xbox, etc..) but run the program off a windows platform. What is your recommendation and would the music selection be good. thanks again.

Chris

Theoretically, you could connect the pad to your computer as an input device generally, by mapping the arrows to certain keys. I've known people to play games that had nothing to do with arrows and steps using a DDR pad simply as a controller or ersatz keyboard.

You'd find however, that you won't be able to play the majority of songs on a pad unless you are ridiculously good at DDR. There are songs here that are only 6 or 7 out of 12 that are the match for many a 10-foot song I've seen on DDR.

The use of a pad here isn't explicitly supported, but as I said, if you connect up the pad as a general input device, you could certainly map the pad arrows to the keyboard arrows and play that way.

Tasselfoot
11-16-2007, 03:29 PM
cj: this thread: http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/showthread.php?t=41727 is a key remapper that will allow you to map a dance pad to the arrow keys. we do have many very easy songs that would work for a novice DDRer, but devonin is correct with what he said, FFR is not meant to be played on a dance pad, it's meant for a keyboard. DDR does not have a penalty if you step on an arrow when there is no arrow there, while FFR does, making it harder to play. Plus, in general, the files are much harder... as it's easier to play with fingers instead of feet.

There are people on our site who do use a dance pad to play. When they come across this thread, I'm sure they'll explain exactly what you'll need to hook it up properly. But I'm guessing AHK will work, plus a USB adapter for the dance pad to plug into the computer.

Finally... to note... FFR does not run off of any kind of SM engine. All our games are original to us, and completely coded by us.

Erm, also... technically, Stepmania would be easier to use for this purpose than FFR. it has a built in keyremapper, no penalty for hitting an arrow when no arrows are there, and has the ability to import the exact DDR files into it, so they can get the easy mario mix files or whatever that they want.

cjcrawford
11-16-2007, 03:55 PM
Thanks Tasselfoot - most useful. The music seems to be much better here than on the SM program i downloaded but I'm confused about file types. Do DDR, SM and FFR use the same file types (audio and/or step files)?

thanks

Chris

fido123
11-16-2007, 04:09 PM
DDR uses .ogg while SM and FFR use .mp3 (at least SM does) and as far as I know FFR uses flash code but can translate SM code which looks like

//measure1
//measure2
ect

Also playing on a pad is hard for FFR. First of all if you hold on an arrow to long you'll boo out. Also my experience on SM is that some step patterns aren't meant for pads. I would only do something if it were Index Version or a Pad Version but most of everything else will make you turn around and force you to double step ect.

CR_fLiP_fOaM
11-16-2007, 07:34 PM
Of course you can. Auto hotkeys ftw :)