PDA

View Full Version : Firefox sucks for FFR

NamaKun
11-4-2007, 10:56 AM
Why does it suck for FFR, though? I get more AVmisses, sometimes it's laggy, etc..

I just recently made the switch from Windows to Ubuntu, and I'm not sure how to cope with Firefox and FFR.

Any tips?

FrenzyMidget
11-4-2007, 11:01 AM
Firefox and IE are equals for FFR, really. For a selective few players Firefox or IE might cause them trouble, but I'm pretty sure both browsers work fine for most players. Try clearing your cache , etc.

As far as switching to a Linux OS, I can't help you on that as I know little of its compatibility with FFR.

Edit: You could try Safari.

omgitznpv
11-4-2007, 12:11 PM
Firefox works fine for me.

ninjafury
11-4-2007, 12:13 PM
Firefox and IE work the same for me

Xandertrax
11-4-2007, 12:14 PM
Firefox sucks.

Fix'd.

Use IE. Much better all around.

dore
11-4-2007, 12:17 PM
Firefox and IE are NOT the same for FFR.

Firefox syncs every song 1 frame later than IE (and IE is usually correct). This makes for lots of offsyncness and awkward gameplay.

Moral of the story: play on IE.

Zageron
11-4-2007, 12:21 PM
? Serious ?

Firefox is much better then IE.

We have something called AdBlock+
No adds.

Adamaja456
11-4-2007, 12:41 PM
Firefox and IE are NOT the same for FFR.

Firefox syncs every song 1 frame later than IE (and IE is usually correct). This makes for lots of offsyncness and awkward gameplay.

Moral of the story: play on IE.

I read that in a thread a while back and tried it. IE is a **** load better than Firefox

Sullyman2007
11-4-2007, 12:42 PM
Firefox is horrible for FFR. I tried it. Deffinitly no the same. Like Namakun said, more AVmisses.
I use IE now though, and it runs like a champ even on my pos computer.

greekanilater
11-4-2007, 12:55 PM
i also use ubuntu firefox stoped working as well try opera... thats what i did. fire fox stoped working when i switched from fiesty fawn to gutsy given. see the problem in this thread its turning into a ie vs firefox. its a personaly choice. and i dont think ie works very well with linux. so i would suggest opera. and when firefox cowitch backmes out with a new update swiych back.

http://www.opera.com/

Relambrien
11-4-2007, 01:06 PM
I've played on both IE and FF and didn't notice a difference in my scores so...yeah.

Maybe it's just me, but they both work fine for me.

greekanilater
11-4-2007, 01:08 PM
i hate opera but opera is better than ie

NamaKun
11-4-2007, 01:33 PM
wow @ people saying to use IE instead.

Did I not say I'm on LINUX? IE is made by MICROSOFT, I.E the people who made Windows.
I'm not going to run a windows emulator for FFR :|

Thanks for the tip, Greek. I also found that they make an SM version for Linux. :3

dore
11-4-2007, 01:35 PM
Run both OS.

NamaKun
11-4-2007, 01:51 PM
Run both OS.

Nah. I have WINE to run my windows apps, but to be honest I really don't want microsoft products on my PC. My hate for their apps is what made me switch in the first place D:

I'ma just play SM for the time being, apparently there's supposed to be a firefox patch coming out soon to handle these problems.

Pyroshock
11-4-2007, 02:03 PM
Just get Opera.

Are you joking?

omgitznpv
11-4-2007, 03:04 PM
brb aaaing ggc on ie

TheSeventhSign
11-4-2007, 03:59 PM
Fix'd.

Dammit, I knew somebody was gonna post this before I did. ^_^

Synthlight
11-4-2007, 04:08 PM
NamaKun.. If you switched because you hate microsoft apps, it's really kind of a silly reason to switch. Just don't use microsoft apps. Unless you love compiling and developing, Linux will be a pain for you. Even with wine you will find it to be a pain in the ass to play games.

Linux has it's advantages, I would know.. I usually have 5-8 shell windows open on my desktop anytime connected to the FFR linux servers. But for normal home use, you would have an easier time switching to the Mac OS instead of linux.

Beyond that, it's extremely easy to get rootkitted.. What are you using for protection on Ubuntu?

Cheers,

Synthlight

SysRq
11-4-2007, 04:15 PM
Fix'd.

What?

...When did IE become better than Firefox? What year is this?

FFR + Firefox = <3
I've never had any problems since I switched from IE to Firefox.

Synthlight
11-4-2007, 04:17 PM
Wow.. I was way off topic. Because I would like to stay on topic.. Flash Plugin 9 is much faster on I.E... Hands down.. No dispute. The best thing you can do if you are running firefox is go on over to the adobe labs site and pull the latest flash plugin beta. Unfortunately for linux it won't be nearly as up to date but it's the best you can do.

Cheers,

Synthlight

meno_rocks123
11-4-2007, 04:24 PM
Firefox sucks for FFR
LIES
I've used firefox for over a year now and I have never had any problems with synced songs. Every song I play (that is synced properly) is always right on time.

Synthlight
11-4-2007, 04:31 PM
LIES
I've used firefox for over a year now and I have never had any problems with synced songs. Every song I play (that is synced properly) is always right on time.

I.E. is faster and smoother at flash playback than flash playback on FireFox. It sucks but that is the truth.

Cheers,

Synthlight

CR_fLiP_fOaM
11-4-2007, 04:37 PM
When I use firefox, I don't need to load the songs anymore. Works great on me :)

sp1nzoK
11-4-2007, 04:43 PM
There is definetly a difference between the browsers, I use FireFox for browsing and IE for playing, I have noticed clearly how much better I can play on IE due to it being properly synced, maybe it can differ but on Firefox I get avmisses like no tomorrow compared to IE.

TheSeventhSign
11-4-2007, 05:07 PM
I hate to sound like I'm browser-warring but guys, it's not about which one you like more. IE factually runs flash better.

Nightfirecat
11-4-2007, 05:24 PM
.... Uhh I'm doing the same thing atm... I'm running a half-decent computer (by half-decent, I mean sucky compared to most $500 computers), and I used to do Windows 98/IE until I got an ubuntu CD, and I loaded that. Now I'm using ubuntu and Firefox, and I'm finding it much, MUCH better.

Let me explain why. On IE, not only did the game lag a bit... (more on harder songs obviously), but it lagged a gigantic amount between like the 15th second of the song and the 18th second of the song. Also-- it got off-sync gradually; on songs like MAX forever, it would be like 4 beats off...

After switching, I haven't had any problem... Besides my computer being crappy.

Moral of my story compared to others: It depends on your computer, hardware, etc. Don't be blaming it directly on IE or Firefox... Ok? If you keep ranting about 'IE is better!' 'No, Firefox is better!!1', I will kick everyone in the face.

HammyMcSquirrel
11-4-2007, 06:04 PM
IE runs smoother for me, but has random realllllly bad lag spikes when I play FFR. The arrows will freeze up for a bit, or skip a lot. Firefox runs choppier for me, but doesn't have these lag spikes. I wish I could use IE over Firefox for playing FFR, but I haven't figured out why I get those lag spikes now.

Danrainbow6
11-4-2007, 06:48 PM
What?

...When did IE become better than Firefox? What year is this?

FFR + Firefox = <3
I've never had any problems since I switched from IE to Firefox.

Ditto... FFR used to take forever to load and I had really bad lag when I played it on IE but then I got fed up with IE and decided to switch to Firefox after everyone I knew practically told me how great Firefox was. They weren't lying either and the moment Firefox was installed, this was the very first site I tested it on and when I went to play a few songs, they all loaded practically instantly and played with no lag. (note: this is a personal account of a Firefox user, your results may vary)
talk with your doctor before switching to Mozilla Firefox.

Nightfirecat
11-4-2007, 11:14 PM
(note: this is a personal account of a Firefox user, your results may vary)
talk with your doctor before switching to Mozilla Firefox.

Thank you for that sentence, and WTF at the white.

y0ttabyte
11-4-2007, 11:32 PM
As much as I love Firefox I find things like Flash and Java apps run better on IE. Since IE is the mainstream these plugins are probably optimised with IE in mind. Although Firefox is getting better with time.

foilman8805
11-4-2007, 11:40 PM
and here i've been playing FFR on Firefox for over a year now. shame on me.

g4z33b0
11-5-2007, 06:44 AM
ubuntu is the devil

debian

debian

debian

flipsta_lombax
11-5-2007, 07:05 AM
? Serious ?

Firefox is much better then IE.

We have something called AdBlock+
No adds.

There we go. And Firefox does not have lag spikes (for me anyway) and it runs smoother. Before, I had a synced problem, but that seems said and done. IE is just a lag *** for me now.

vincechan
11-5-2007, 11:23 PM
Firefox pwns. End of message.

Hudelf
11-6-2007, 01:06 AM
Hmm...I would consider using IE for FFR if it weren't a gaping security risk to do so.

I may have to try it once to see about this framing issue. Firefox has had blatant problems with Java since 2.0 came out, but I didn't know about Flash.

I suppose I should have known though - isn't Flash integrated into IE? I can't honestly remember.

Tater Tot
11-6-2007, 02:35 PM
Firefox is all i use for FFR and it works just fine.

Windscarredfaith
11-6-2007, 03:18 PM
I use FireFox for everything except for when playing FFR. FFR is the only reason I still have IE installed on my computer (I uninstalled it a while back, but I couldn't stand playing on FF.) I even browse FFR's pages with FF, just not with the game.

OnixRose
11-6-2007, 03:34 PM
FF plays FFR fine for me...

MalDON
11-6-2007, 04:31 PM
For the longest time I would swear by IE. Not sure what was in my water at that time, but now, as a web developer, IE is the biggest pain in the ass ever. I've never seen a difference in the speed of ffr between browsers. Then against I have a quad core system, so I can't be the judge of anything.

foilman8805
11-6-2007, 05:11 PM
Then against I have a quad core system, so I can't be the judge of anything.

so, why did you even post?

DivynE
11-6-2007, 05:37 PM
Firefox pwns. End of message.

Thread didn't end yet? Damn.

Roi Siveran
11-7-2007, 06:02 PM
Eh. Firefox doesn't work for FFR, much. I use IE for FFR and Firefox for everything else.

Firefox: Odd syncing, bad lag on some computers, bad loading
IE: Occassional long gaps of lag, scores not sent sometimes

I haven't tried Opera yet. Does it still have the IE problems?

Xapti
11-7-2007, 09:51 PM
IE sucks for absolutely everything, except perhaps playing flash applications. If you really want to use IE for FFR, I recommend you just create an icon on the desktop (or somewhere else) which automatically executes IE to run FFR the game. That way for normal browsing of everything else, you get a much better experience.

Personally when I've ran on school computers which ran IE6 and IE7, I haven't had good results at all... probably just due to the system and internet quality, which are both a little worse.

Also something to note: admins, if you have lots of IE6 users, you should really consider not using pixel based font sizes, because their text will not be resizable.

Update: so I tryed playing on IE a bit more right now to test stuff. Perhaps my system is too fast (only an A64 3200+), but there was no noticeable diffrence. What did happen though is my computer completely froze and restarted quite early on on this testing. for the record, for the 3 years I've played on firefox, this has not happened. Perhaps IE was just really damn unlucky though.