PDA

View Full Version : Dream and myth: the foundation for depth psychology

coberst
09-30-2007, 03:13 PM
Dream and myth: the foundation for depth psychology

Freud hypothesized that dreams were a means for establishing a universal method for studying the human psyche. He felt that dreams provided a means for studying the psyche in a manner similar to that used to study the physiological characteristics of the body. In studying dreams and myth he theorized that one could make comparative interpretation of a universality of symbolism.

“It was the insight that, just as dreams express the unconscious of individuals, myths express the unconscious of the human species as a whole…the symbolism of myth expresses the processes of the psyche in their quintessential form in contrast to the more personal contents of dreams deriving from merely individual experiences.”

Freud thought that dreams expressed the unconscious domain of the individual. He furthermore considered that there existed a relationship between myths and dreams. Dreams represented the individual’s unconscious response and myth represented societies’ unconscious fundamental form of the social psyche in symbolic form.

Freud theorized that “by deciphering the symbolism of myths…he would be able to apply the general principle to the particular case of the individual personality by relating dreams to myths…it was this that became the foundation for depth psychology.”

Quotes from “The Death and Rebirth of Psychology”—Ira Progoff.

infinity.
09-30-2007, 03:51 PM
This is only a statement..

How about you write your own topic, instead of copying quotes.

devonin
09-30-2007, 03:58 PM
Coberst

Relambrien
09-30-2007, 06:13 PM
Coberst

Once again I voice my support for a CT Panel.

lord_carbo
09-30-2007, 09:57 PM
Screw Freud. Freud got skull****ed as a child. He was the high speed treadmill of almost every field he worked in.

coberst
10-1-2007, 02:49 AM
This is only a statement..

How about you write your own topic, instead of copying quotes.

I think that learning is a process that begins with reading and learning from the best minds that are available. One can exchange opinions with a chum but one learns little from this practice even though it may prove to be entertaining. I can create my own topic but my topic if unsupported by learning is of little value generally to anyone wishing to become a learner.

KA0Z R4VR
10-1-2007, 03:16 AM
Coberst, you always seem to copy and paste about learning or thinking. Why don't you come up with a new subject to critically think upon.

lord_carbo
10-1-2007, 07:47 AM
I highly doubt he's copying and pasting, merely bantering on about nothing.

purebloodtexan
10-1-2007, 07:53 AM
Once again I voice my support for a CT Panel.

You know, that doesn't sound bad at all.

coberst
10-1-2007, 09:03 AM
Coberst, you always seem to copy and paste about learning or thinking. Why don't you come up with a new subject to critically think upon.

Just be patient, I have many interests and have written about them and shall do so again. I go wherever my curiosity takes me.

tsugomaru
10-1-2007, 09:13 AM
He only answered the part he wanted to!

~Tsugomaru

devonin
10-1-2007, 11:55 AM
What's funny is that on most of the forums he copy/pastes to, they view him like you would some strange curiosity. He's amusing to watch, as long as you don't expect too much from him.

"He's really "Mostly Harmless," and if you argue with him directly you can even get an interesting reply..."

"Perhaps we should make a "The coberst Collection" or a "Best of coberst" with links to all his crossposted threads and forums he posts on."

"I see him as a do gooder who got seduced by psychological theories. Like most people who feel they've discovered special knowledge, they want to share it with others who lack such enlightenment."

monkeybomb45
10-1-2007, 12:27 PM
I think that learning is a process that begins with reading and learning from the best minds that are available. One can exchange opinions with a chum but one learns little from this practice even though it may prove to be entertaining. I can create my own topic but my topic if unsupported by learning is of little value generally to anyone wishing to become a learner.

yeah great, post your quotes but follow up with a question that people can actually discuss or have a little debate over...not just like...oh. quote. i'm glad i just read that...now what?

Tps222
10-1-2007, 12:38 PM
So has he been determined as a bot yet? Unless he's a part of like 400 forums, I'd have to think so. Very well designed, to say the least.

massflavour
10-1-2007, 01:15 PM
What's funny is that on most of the forums he copy/pastes to, they view him like you would some strange curiosity. He's amusing to watch, as long as you don't expect too much from him.
what other forums is he/she/the bot a member of?

devonin
10-1-2007, 01:20 PM
Not a bot, just showing all the respect for fellow forum members that a bot would.

http://www.iidb.org/vbb/index.php?
http://www.sciforums.com/
http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/postlist.php?Cat=&Board=scimathphil
http://www.forumgarden.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=228
http://forums.intpcentral.com/index.php
http://forums.hypography.com/philosophy-humanities.html

Here's a few. In each of these Coberst has started identical threads, in most cases made identical responses no matter what people actually said in his threads, and in all cases only posts in his own threads and shows no indication of knowing or caring what anyone else does outside the threads he starts.

Izzy-chandess
10-1-2007, 03:42 PM
Wow... Just... just... wow... -_-

lord_carbo
10-1-2007, 04:08 PM
Coberst is a narcissist with Parkinson's.

Chrissi
10-1-2007, 10:53 PM
Can we just ban this thing already? I mean honestly.

Relambrien
10-1-2007, 11:00 PM
Can we just ban this thing already? I mean honestly.

Convince the staff to let us have a CT Panel and we can do it ourselves.

I vote devonin, Kilroy, and Chrissi as original Panel, with additions as they see fit.