PDA

View Full Version : I've got Repetitive Strain Injury -_-

Kiro51
07-14-2007, 06:10 PM
Hi

Woaw, I have only posted once since March o.o I haven't been much active, I stoped playing FFR, and started to play Stepmania a LOT.

Well, I shouldn't call it "a lot", but rather... TOO MUCH.:neutral:

Yeah, I got Repetitive Strain Injury. That's the result of playing 2 hours per day, for 6 months :roll:
This "RSI" is on my left hand's middle finger. So hopefully, I can play without it, and instead play with my... 2nd finger and 4th finger...(but I get bad score... oh wait, I already get bad scores without RSI :))

So what I'm gonna do is... buying a dance mat, and sucking at it :(

I haven't posted that so you can say "Oh poor guy", but to warn you : playing FFR or Stepmania too much can hurt you. So don't. And as a leet said a long time ago (sorry, don't remember his name), playing FFR 8 hours/day won't improve your skills faster than playing it 30 minutes/day.

And btw, is there any way to heal a RSI? Thanks in advance for your answers !

Ps : sorry for my bad english, I'm french ^^"

EDIT : in fact, I dunno if it's really a RSI, it's more like a tendonitis : my finger hurt a LOT when I type with it... that's all :p

Cyanite
07-14-2007, 06:48 PM
Just rest the area for a few days and you'll be fine.

Maybe apply heat or ice when it hurts a lot.

Maid
07-14-2007, 07:03 PM
I always took at least a week break when I got any kind of discomfort or pain in my fingers/wrist. If you force it, you are going to be sorry later.

MrRubix
07-14-2007, 08:26 PM
Relax and take a break. The more you prevent it from healing, the worse off it'll become.

remedy1502
07-14-2007, 11:53 PM
Rofl I play way more than that and I don't have anything lol. I guess I'm lucky like that.

sexyinpink
07-15-2007, 12:05 AM
im fine right now, but u can always SUE SYNTH!

SimpsonFreak345
07-15-2007, 12:13 AM
i have wrist pains.
but i've been non-stop computering since i was about 10. haha.
6 years of typing/6 months of FFR can probably do that to you.
i should take a break. hahah.

but dammit, i like this game too much =]

lumphoboextreme
07-15-2007, 12:34 AM
you guys are just wussies. lol. i've played more than anyone else here and have no RSI. just play through it.

newblue22
07-15-2007, 12:37 AM
you guys are just wussies. lol. i've played more than anyone else here and have no RSI. just play through it.

i agree :D. if lump doesnt have anything you are ALL "WUSSIES" :)

Relambrien
07-15-2007, 12:50 AM
I've never had any problems like this arise from FFR/Stepmania. But if I fall asleep with my wrist in a certain position, it becomes painful to bend for the next couple of weeks.

In fact, I think the worst pain I've ever experienced from Stepmania is what I'm feeling right now. After a few straight hours of playing 11s or higher, my fingers are exhausted. They don't really hurt, but they're kind of unresponsive and feel heavy, like any part of your body after a workout. But when I wake up tomorrow, they'll be good as new :D

I suppose I'm resistant to things like RSI because I've been around computers forever. Ever since sixth grade I've been able to type faster than my parents, (who both type "properly" by the way). I usually spend a good 4+ hours a day on the computer doing various things, including FFR/SM. All that key pressing has made my fingers resistant to injuries from overwork.

One thing I never understood though, is why people say you're supposed to curl your wrists upward when typing. I can't hold that position comfortably for any length of time, and leaving my wrists on the desk while typing is a much more natural and comfortable position. My wrist hardly bends at all, so it's not like it can cause any problems.

On that same note, whoever said ergonomic keyboards are comfortable hasn't met me. I can't -stand- ergonomic keyboards; they're ridiculously hard and painful to use. After fixing a computer problem for one of my teachers (who uses an ergonomic keyboard), my hands were in so much pain from the awkward positions they were forced into by that thing that I decided not to go near my computer until the next day.

...Wow, I got off-topic fast.

rel89
07-15-2007, 01:02 AM
I play FFR alot and never feel pain. It's just playing really fast songs that are painful.

Loot You
07-15-2007, 01:10 AM
build up your endurance and if it starts hurting just don't play for an hour or something, and hitting keys harder doesn't give you better accuracy

anybody who gets RSI from sm or ffr has a mental problem with obsession because that happens wayyy before finger injuries

Evascythe
07-15-2007, 02:05 AM

mashing doesn't hurt your fingers