PDA

View Full Version : I knew this was coming...

Branman123
07-1-2007, 02:41 PM
Over the last few months, FFR has been using a little more and more CPU usage (Maybe because of my end, or maybe the latest updates on FFR; it doesn't matter) and now it has finally hit me.

I can no longer play FFR anymore without having some kind of lag delay in the middle of a song or a complete pause on the easy songs. Keep in mind, I am tri-fingered player (left index; right index, right middle) and I don't have that auto-hotkey thing running at the same time I am playing.

So, I was wondering if it is going to be laggy like this on all of the songs, I decide to play BB Revenge. It looked like if I were to take a picture and keeping the shutter on for a while (nothing but streaks of colorful lines).

The only suggestion that I have received from a friend was play FFR Low resolution. I decided to try FFR Mini. Well, I decided to play BB Revenge again to contrast it. It is still laggy, but to the point where it isn't looking like blurs. The only problem was, I had to memorize the location of that song because everything is unreadable to me. Also, I wasn't too fond with gameplay because the entire game was getting confusing half way through the song when everything is 1/10 its size.

I have already optimized my processes so I shouldn't have any unnecessary things running that would slow it down. I have disabled some of my important processes to see if that would help, but I didn't notice any improvements. This question is for the people who know FFR the most;

What can I do to resume my normal un-laggy gameplay of FFR?

Before you offer any advice, please take into consideration:

-I don't have any viruses. In a matter of fact, I have just received my laptop from being reformatted at HP. I only have basic core components running with a few other processes for security.

-Please don't tell me to play FFR Low Resolution, I feel I might strain myself too much trying to comprehend the small arrows.

-No I am not buying a 1GB RAM; could help, may even solve this entire thing. However, it is not possible to exchange the 512 MB RAM on my laptop. I would have to once again send it in to HP, get it reformatted, and buy the components that they need to install, and let them do it.

-I am probably not going to quit FFR. I know the not-so-good side of this community and the first thing that will probably be said by them is "Quit".

One very last thing. Nothing against the community of FFR, but I am really fed up of community online game groups. This is a serious matter, if you have nothing to say other than "Fail" or "Lock", then don't bother posting here because if you do, I hope your post count gets reseted by a mysterious bug that happens to occur in the database ;)

Thanks in advance,

Brandon

dudelogan14
07-1-2007, 02:48 PM
I have the same problem.
But then again i have horrible computers.
I suggest defragging your computer, updating DirectX and java, or just fixing your internet connection.

:D

Engler
07-1-2007, 02:53 PM
I have noticed this as well...it could have something to do with all of the recent updates. Hopefully all of these little bugs will be fixed soon.

Branman123
07-1-2007, 03:00 PM
I have the same problem.
But then again i have horrible computers.
I suggest defragging your computer, updating DirectX and java, or just fixing your internet connection.

:D

Thanks for the fast reply :)

Well, the computer is a couple years old, but that shouldn't be a problem. I have always been able to enjoy playing FFR without this kind of laggyness.

I would defrag my computer, in a matter of fact, I am going to do that while I wait for the next reply. However, Defragging won't help in this case because FFR doesn't require the use of many of your computer files. Defragging would help if you installed a very large game that required the use of many of your computer files.

I'll check on the Active DirectX settings, Java is up to date though (Maybe I should check for an updated of Adobe Flash?)

Luckily my internet connection doesn't have a factor of gameplay speed. You only require an internet connection to download the songs into your temp. internet files. After that, the game loads your song directly from your computer and not from its host servers. So the entire process of the song pausing for a second is from my computer's processing speed. Looking at my task manager, FFR takes 100% of my CPU usage.

I hate Verizon; if I had a dozen eggs, I would use two for breakfast and the rest to egg Verizon. So far, since May, I have received on and off internet service. I'll call them up so they can "Repair" my connection, what they don't understand is when it comes back online, they are not fixing it and that is normal. The problem is it goes back offline within the next hour!

I have noticed this as well...it could have something to do with all of the recent updates. Hopefully all of these little bugs will be fixed soon.

Yeah, I really think that FFR requires the use of a lot more things to process with the last few updates. I have checked almost all of the main things to have my computer run at almost the best speed and it still can not keep up with the amount of information FFR requires to process

Smok3y
07-1-2007, 03:04 PM
Slow connections cannot cause lag during gameplay. It's just not possible. How fast is your CPU, exactly?

Edit: Though from what you say it's probably not your CPU, the computer I'm on is only 1.2 ghz and FFR is pretty bad on it, but not THAT bad by any stretch, is it feasible for you to download a linux live CD with flash support (or anything that's other than your current windows install) and try FFR on that, at least then you might be able to get a vague idea of whether the problem is software or hardware related.

g4z33b0
07-1-2007, 03:35 PM
If your computer can't handle a flash game it is obviously obsolete, so your best bet would be to buy a new computer all together, but you probably can't. Have you tried low quality?

Smok3y
07-1-2007, 03:40 PM
If your computer can't handle a flash game it is obviously obsolete

Not necessarily, the computer that I'm on right now can play modern PC games, like Half-life 2 with no problems at all, but can't play FFR well at all. FFR is just a giant resource hog.

NarutoFoxDemon
07-1-2007, 03:42 PM
Low Quality may play, but there is no guarantee that it won't freeze up.

Synthlight
07-1-2007, 03:48 PM
I am actively looking into this for you. So you have definitely noticed that it takes more CPU time lately than it has in the past? Ctrl-Alt-Delete for your CPU usage and let me know where it is at in the middle of a song.

Cheers,

Synthlight

GamerShadow
07-1-2007, 03:51 PM
I am actively looking into this for you. So you have definitely noticed that it takes more CPU time lately than it has in the past? Ctrl-Alt-Delete for your CPU usage and let me know where it is at in the middle of a song.

Cheers,

Synthlight

I haven't noticed significant CPU usage on my computer, but I'll do the same thing.

BranmanX123
07-1-2007, 03:57 PM

Cheers,

Synthlight

Thank-you Synthlight :)

I will be doing that shortly!

Edit: This has actually been a test account a while ago in March. I am re-using it for this purpose. I am the same person as Branman123 if you haven't caught on :)

Branman123
07-1-2007, 04:18 PM
It may be a FireFox issue, I am not sure if there is some kind of error where it performs more operations than it is supposed to.

Ok, here is the first picture. As you can see, FFR isn't taking too much CPU usage at the moment. This is perfectly normal:

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h76/LazyBranman/NewPicture2.jpg

However, lets say I'll play a song. I just picked BB revenge because this has been the song I contrasted in Low Resolution. It gets into really high CPU usage and the song goes into a blurry motion (The song has not stopped, that usually happens in not so many arrowed songs):

Edit: I probably should have mentioned that the song was running fine until about the middle of it when the CPU usage jumped from about 50 to the high 90's

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h76/LazyBranman/NewPicture.jpg

group xtreme
07-1-2007, 04:19 PM
Press Cntl+Alt+Del and bring up your Windows Task Manager.

Go to Processes. ( The second tab)

Find whatever you are using, FireFox, EI, whatever.

Right click, go to set priority, and choose HIGH.

This always quickens up my browser to end the war against lag.

Hope this helps.

Branman123
07-1-2007, 04:26 PM
Press Cntl+Alt+Del and bring up your Windows Task Manager.

Find whatever you are using, FireFox, EI, whatever.

Right click, go to set priority, and choose HIGH.

This always quickens up my browser to end the war against lag.

Hope this helps.

I can do that, but I am afraid of taking too much CPU usage my computer won't be able to run processes like the Display Driver or another important process.

For Synthlight:

Thank you very much for looking into this matter. Of course, before you can configure anything out, you'll probably want to know my computer information.

Well, as you can see from the pictures. I am not running Windows 95 ;)

I have:

Windows XP (Service Pack 2)
1.3 GHz - Intel(R) Celeron(R) M Processor
512 MB Ram (32 MB reserved for video something I forget what, so 480 total RAM)

dore
07-1-2007, 04:49 PM
Use low quality. All of your problems will be solved. Click on the little Q in the top left corner. Stuff becomes blurry but still readable and the game runs smoother.

GamerShadow
07-1-2007, 04:54 PM
Yeah, I don't know why you play in High Quality.

My CPU is only at about 50 while playing hard parts of Challenging songs, and at about 30 otherwise.

Branman123
07-1-2007, 05:01 PM
Yeah, I don't know why you play in High Quality.

My CPU is only at about 50 while playing hard parts of Challenging songs, and at about 30 otherwise.

Ok, going to try that now. I thought you were talking about Low Resolution with the screen being so small, you can fit about 10 FFR screens on one thing.

Here is the results about running it on low quality

Initial CPU before starting a song. In this case, I will be picking a new song, "Thinking Different".

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h76/LazyBranman/LowQualityTesting-1.jpg

After about the first 45 arrows, the CPU usage went from 25 or so up to 78 and paused. I have ran the song twice because I couldn't get the screen shot fast enough, it happened near (or the same) part of the song (The game froze):

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h76/LazyBranman/LowQualityTesting2.jpg

I also just captured a video but due to it being an AVI file and I don't have a valid compressor, I can not upload it to a video sharing site.