PDA

View Full Version : Idea for the overall rank

lightdarkness
01-27-2004, 07:17 PM
Alright, so ive talked to some people on AIM and they dont think its fair that your rank is based on overall scores.
Synth, you said that it would be WAY TOO MANY db querys if we were to do a long computation. And that is VERY understandable.

So heres my pitch, howbout we write a way to calculate a "fairer" score, but have it calculate once a day, at 5 AM, because thats what the stats page says is the time people are on least. If this is a bad idea, just say so, but if your up for it, try and come up with a forumula, and also, synth, let us know if this would be a possiblility

User6773
01-27-2004, 07:34 PM
Cheap, easy, effective, noncomplex solution:
I say take the player's best rank on each song, add them all together. Lowest number gets 1st place.

lightdarkness
01-27-2004, 08:37 PM
charadish, that is a very simple solution, any other ideas?

Privateer
01-27-2004, 10:38 PM
In the event of a tie (:shock:), the person with more games played gets the rank.

peregrine
01-27-2004, 10:57 PM
props to George Carlin!!!... and to you for quoting him Privateer.

Another tidbit of Carlin: "You know what you never hear about anymore? Quicksand. When I was a kid, movies and comic books had quicksand all the time. What happened? Same thing with whrilpools. You never hear about some guy gettin sucked down into a whirlpool anymore. I miss that."

Cenright
01-27-2004, 11:03 PM
Yeah, 5 AM is the slowest time of the day, so that should work.

GregHead
01-27-2004, 11:45 PM
Cheap, easy, effective, noncomplex solution:
I say take the player's best rank on each song, add them all together. Lowest number gets 1st place.

I agree, it's more encouraging because one person will bump you down only one place.

Gnik
01-28-2004, 12:03 AM
I'll repost my idea from that other thread

I think it should be based on the total of your high scores.

The section below is just an easy way to implement it.

Perhaps an easier way to do this would be to have a "total best score" variable saved for each player made up of all your high scores added together. After you calculated it the first time, when someone beat their previous record, you would just have to adjust the total by the difference, instead of recalculating the whole thing, and save the new value.
Every couple months you could retabulate it (and it has to be done once before it's implemented) and make sure it was accurate or something, but it's pretty hands off. If you tossed out the old "grand total score" the number of queries stays exacly the same.

alainbryden
01-28-2004, 09:00 AM
hehe, yeah, I never played sm before, only this, so I've got a high total score, I'm 13th overall right now ;) I like Chardish's idea

lightdarkness
01-28-2004, 10:34 AM
thanks for the support with this idea
but i would like to hear from synth
i heard you talking in the other thread about a seperet feild and what not
so, lets hear from you!

Gnik
01-28-2004, 07:19 PM
It seems synth is doing something, as the "your rank" now says "notworking"