PDA

View Full Version : Windows Vista

DHS1
03-5-2007, 11:00 AM
I have windows XP pro right now. Is it worth the $150 to upgrade to vista? What are the pros/cons? Thanks

Maid
03-5-2007, 11:06 AM
Not worth it, even if for free.

Tps222
03-5-2007, 11:21 AM
There's obviously some problems with Vista, but not as many as people say. They tested this for 2 years. I know there are some driver issues, so I'd recommend waiting a couple months. Other than that, you need pretty new comp to run it efficiently.

TrueX2
03-5-2007, 11:22 AM
Pros: none that I can think of
Cons: Worse for gaming, slower in general, waste of HD space, billions of bugs

If you want to upgrade to Vista, wait a few more months @ least

Squeek
03-5-2007, 11:25 AM
You really should wait a while before thinking about it.

Also, moved from Media.

SethSquall
03-5-2007, 11:29 AM
I agree with most of the people here. I personally really like the look of vista although I wouldn't buy it right now though. I'd wait a while first for microsoft to get loads of feedback from it.

nforcer06164
03-5-2007, 11:50 AM
I'd actually wait until the first service pack comes out, so that the major problems are all covered and integrated into one bundle, instead of having a hundred separate hotfixes.

Oh, and you are SO much better off buying a computer with Vista preinstalled. The upgrade causes so many problems for XP computers that it's totally not worth upgrading at all. PCWorld recommends that you avoid an upgrade to Vista, and that you buy a new PC with Vista instead.

Afrobean
03-5-2007, 11:59 AM
There is no good reason to switch to Vista.

That is, unless you want your operating system to be "pretty" at the expense of functionality. Have you guys seen this advert (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FxOIebkmrqs)? I had Vista for about a day when this new computer came in, and it's disturbingly accurate. That aside, XP is easier for your computer to run, thus leaving more resources for things you need to do rather than making your operating system look fancy.

Maybe once Vista is the standard it'd be worth sacrificing resources to use it, but it's really not necessary now.

Also, this is incredibly subjective, but when I was running Vista, it didn't feel like I was interfacing with an operating system. It felt like I was running software that mimicked an operating system. I know this probably sounds weird, but that's what it felt like to me.

shade11
03-5-2007, 12:06 PM
Not a good idea to switch to Vista right now. It has many compatibility issues regarding many commonly used programs.

It's from Microsoft for god's sake, it's gonna be buggy when it's released. I say, wait a year.

If you want the look of vista:
Try this (http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/OS-Enhancements/Vista-Transformation-Pack.shtml)
And this, but not so much. (http://widgets.yahoo.com/)

justom
03-5-2007, 12:14 PM
Yea I agree with all of you. I got vista for 30 bucks to try it, but it's really bad. A lot of games dont function properly and it takes up a lot of CPU. If you're thinking about upgrading, upgrade your RAM first.

SethSquall
03-5-2007, 12:21 PM
this advert (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FxOIebkmrqs)?.

Lmao.

"You are coming to a sad realisation, cancel or allow?"

"..........Allow...."

nforcer06164
03-5-2007, 12:22 PM
Actually, WindowsBlinds works a lot better for modifying the look of your OS. You can make XP look exactly like Vista, Aero and all, without upgrading. It doesn't use system resources, either.

TD_Project
03-5-2007, 01:10 PM
I bought Vista a while ago, i think 3 or 4 weeks ago, and it runs okay. Very unstable as you would guess, and I bought Home Premium.

I was looking forward to Windows Aero but I need to switch my video cards around (right now I have the worse one in here) and I need 1gb of ram. Wait until they fix half their problems. I'm constantly updating from Windows Update, hurray.

I love the black bottom bar and things are clearly organized. If you want gaming power, get Windows Vista Basic. Because Home Premium is just a sugar coated, fancy looking version of it, and Ultimate just gives you more backup problems if your computer jumps out of the plane.

Good luck all future Vista Users

RandomPscho
03-5-2007, 02:07 PM
Most of the bugs aren't Vista's fault, it is just that there aren't the correct drivers out for the other hardware. Vista itself is a lot more stable than XP, also. It boot ups faster on my computer than XP ever has and it looks amazing.

Most games actually get higher benchmarks on Vista (or so I've read) and Vista is a good upgrade for games because it fully supports Direct X 10, which you would need a compatible video card.

Other than looks and hardcore games, there's no real reason to upgrade.

SethSquall
03-5-2007, 02:14 PM
Well, I have a lot of equipment that needs drivers installed. So I'd need very reliable confirmation of the driver situation being fixed before I buy Vista.

I hope that made sense. I don't know much about PC's and such so I assume drivers as in drivers that you install with say, a camera and such.

RandomPscho
03-5-2007, 02:16 PM
Seth,
use the Windows Upgrade Advisor, it will tell you everything from programs to drivers that work/don't work on Vista.
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/windowsvista/buyorupgrade/upgradeadvisor.mspx

nforcer06164
03-5-2007, 02:48 PM
Actually, I wouldn't trust that. Why? The Advisor is part of the program DVD, and even after it has been run so many things still **** up. It can't be a know-all wizard for Vista or any OS upgrade for that matter.

DiGiTaLSeraph
03-5-2007, 03:00 PM
Windows Vister lol

sucks all the new pcs sold these days only have that operating system installed. You're basicly forced to buy/pirate XP now and downgrade...

MARKETING PLOY OF MICROSOFT?

nforcer06164
03-5-2007, 03:02 PM
sucks all the new pcs sold these days only have that operating system installed. You're basicly forced to buy/pirate XP now and downgrade...

No.

DiGiTaLSeraph
03-5-2007, 03:05 PM
http://img229.exs.cx/img229/3548/x5zero5nx.gif
Also, what the hell are you on? Of course all of the latest PCs have Windows Vista pre-installed.

RandomPscho
03-5-2007, 03:28 PM
Actually, I wouldn't trust that. Why? The Advisor is part of the program DVD, and even after it has been run so many things still **** up. It can't be a know-all wizard for Vista or any OS upgrade for that matter.
Most things it tells you unknown if its not a popular program :) I am not sure if it installs it anyway though ;) Besides, clean installs are always best.

Why would you need to downgrade? Most people don't use programs that aren't available on Vista.

jewpinthethird
03-5-2007, 04:11 PM
Windows, lol.

I haven't had any experience with it, but I'd at least wait until it's standardized. From what I here, nobody's making the change yet, which to me, sounds like Microsoft rushed it out...in a sense.

From what my friend tells me, aside from being able to scroll through your applications visually (very reminiscent to OSX) and four work spaces (I think, I know Lunix has be utilizing this for quite sometime), there's nothing else to it.

I don't get it, what is Vista exactly? What makes it different from XP?

x6tence
03-5-2007, 04:29 PM
I WOULD NOT reccomend getting vista mainly because:security patches and bugs since it just came out.

Yeah Linux is a very OS (experience)

6 p01nt3d*st@r
03-5-2007, 04:33 PM
i might get vista this month:)

fido123
03-5-2007, 04:46 PM
Linux...Where can I get it? I heard it takes like 3 months to set it up completely. It is the cross between Mac and Windows right? Also what are the pros and cons for it?

Also im really getting fed up with windows. I have to constatly restore my computer because someone has my IP adress and is continually sending me viruses! There are so many ways to screw windows up and to make matters worse almost everyone uses it making the hackers very confortable with what there doing.

lord_carbo
03-5-2007, 05:03 PM
Linux...Where can I get it? I heard it takes like 3 months to set it up completely. It is the cross between Mac and Windows right? Also what are the pros and cons for it?
If you're asking these questions you're probably not suited for a Linux distro outside of Ubuntu (http://www.ubuntu.com/).

fido123
03-5-2007, 05:05 PM
hey...i can javascipt :P lol

I really am quite good with computers I just really don't know much about other OSs. The only thing i solidly know about Linix is its very custamizable but hard to set up.

lord_carbo
03-5-2007, 05:12 PM
You're not good with computers, which is something I can tell straight from your first post in this thread; you're good with PCs, at the very most, but you're probably just overestimating your skills or your definition of "good" isn't really "good," just okay.

Well, anyway, to answer your questions and correct your statements:

-You can get Linux everywhere. Just find a distro on Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Linux_distributions) or something.
-Linux does NOT take 3 months to set up... who told you that?
-Linux's aren't the cross between a Windows and a Mac, what the heck? They run on Unix like Macs but they're aimed towards computer nerds.
-Pros and cons are up to the user's preferences. The biggie is that it's free.

Afrobean
03-5-2007, 05:37 PM
Windows Vister lol

Actually, it is a bit of a ploy, but definitely not in the direction you're implying. They don't want to have to support two different operating systems. When they release a new system, they want everyone to stop using the old system and start using the new one. Not only is that more money for them via people upgrading their system, but it's also easier on them because they only need to provide support for Vista instead of Vista and XP.

nforcer06164
03-5-2007, 05:39 PM
My school still uses Windows 2000 on a lot of the older units. Microsoft still supports 2000 SP4. What?

Afrobean
03-5-2007, 05:45 PM
My school still uses Windows 2000 on a lot of the older units. Microsoft still supports 2000 SP4. What?
You think Microsoft still provides the same level of support for obsolete systems though?

lord_carbo
03-5-2007, 05:46 PM
Haha, I hate the computers at my school that run on 2000 with a passion.

jewpinthethird
03-5-2007, 06:20 PM
Relevant:

http://img410.imageshack.us/img410/6352/picture9rc8.png (http://imageshack.us)

fido123
03-5-2007, 06:39 PM
You're not good with computers, which is something I can tell straight from your first post in this thread; you're good with PCs, at the very most, but you're probably just overestimating your skills or your definition of "good" isn't really "good," just okay.

Well, anyway, to answer your questions and correct your statements:

-You can get Linux everywhere. Just find a distro on Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Linux_distributions) or something.
-Linux does NOT take 3 months to set up... who told you that?
-Linux's aren't the cross between a Windows and a Mac, what the heck? They run on Unix like Macs but they're aimed towards computer nerds.
-Pros and cons are up to the user's preferences. The biggie is that it's free.

Srry ment im good with windows...not computers in general. And yes i was thinking of Unix

rickz0rz
03-5-2007, 06:54 PM
I remember when XP first came out. Everyone was against it. They hated the Play-Skool interface. The lack of support for drivers. Bugs here and there.

5-6 years later--wash, rinse, repeat. I have Vista installed. But I guess what it comes down to is I'm waiting for Service Pack 2.

RandomPscho
03-5-2007, 08:15 PM
I remember when XP first came out. Everyone was against it. They hated the Play-Skool interface. The lack of support for drivers. Bugs here and there.

5-6 years later--wash, rinse, repeat. I have Vista installed. But I guess what it comes down to is I'm waiting for Service Pack 2.
This time around Vista is a **** load [for lack of a better word, that is] better than when Win XP came out.

nottsutter
03-5-2007, 08:47 PM
hi oh god gotta type post before ban

Vista is awesome. The only problem I had with it originally was that my ATi drivers would cause me to BSOD every time I tried to install them. Nothing a system restore and waiting for the next upgrade didn't fix, however. The Vista default graphics driver's aren't too shabby anyway (it does some ****ED up things with OpenGL and I couldn't play 32bit on CS which made CAL matches kinda interesting), so I didn't have too big of a problem.

Most of my registry entries carried over as well, which was neat, as nearly all of my previously installed programs worked. I had to work a little bit to get some **** to work, but overall it didn't bother me at all.

uhh what else

oh

The memory management in Vista is way better. Assuming you don't have a computer from 1995, your computer actually makes a big performance BOOST, as opposed to a performance hit (on my side, anyway. I also upgraded some stuff but teehee shut up.)

overall i'd pretty much highly recommend it assuming you know your way around computers pretty well. if you're not very computer fluent it could be a nightmare though 8) (see: snowcrafta)

shade11
03-5-2007, 09:37 PM
If you're asking these questions you're probably not suited for a Linux distro outside of Ubuntu (http://www.ubuntu.com/).

I thought you were going to say Linspire (http://www.linspire.com/).

DiGiTaLSeraph
03-5-2007, 10:08 PM
Most things it tells you unknown if its not a popular program :) I am not sure if it installs it anyway though ;) Besides, clean installs are always best.

Why would you need to downgrade? Most people don't use programs that aren't available on Vista.

Printers are notorious at the moment for being absolutely unrecognizable by Vista Operating Systems, for example.

And,
Afrobean, you missed the joke. Also for one everyone...Don't take anything I say seriously... :P

I work at Geek Squad... I know a 'bit' of what we're talking about here, I think. Vister's nothing more than just a graphical update IMO with yeah, less support (For Now), and it eats up more of your RAM and takes quite a bit more power to run than XP does. Stating the obvious here of course.

lord_carbo
03-5-2007, 10:13 PM
I thought you were going to say Linspire (http://www.linspire.com/).

Richard Stallman weeps at Linspire.

g4z33b0
03-6-2007, 08:21 AM
Attempting to make post, Allow or Deny... Someone probably already made that joke, but ya...

And Digital, are you kidding? Vista takes around 2 gigs of RAM to effeciently run, so I doubt that ALL of the latest PC's being sold by the major companies will have Vista...

DiGiTaLSeraph
03-6-2007, 08:28 AM
g4z33b0, of course I am not kidding...

The Best Buy I work at does NOT have a Computer on sale that has Windows XP pre-installed anymore.

This goes for all other Best Buys- and IIRC, Best Buy is a rather major retailer.

By the way, Minimum Requirements needed on the PC in order for it to be Vista capable:
A modern processor (at least 800MHz)
512 MB of system RAM memory
A graphics processor that is DirectX 9 capable

Windows Vista Premium Ready PC Specifications (Recommended Requirements):

1 GHz 32-bit (x86) or 64-bit (x64) processor
1 GB of system memory
A graphics processor that runs Windows Aero (DirectX 9 class graphics processor that supports WDDM Driver, Pixel Shader 2.0 in hardware and 32 bits per pixel with big enough graphics memory)
128 MB of graphics memory
40 GB of hard drive capacity with 15 GB free space
DVD-ROM Drive
Audio output capability
Internet access capability

You need more than what it says of course on your PC, because the OS uses up a good chunk of that power to run...

g4z33b0
03-6-2007, 08:38 AM
What is your best buy going to say to a single mom who needs a computer for her kids to do their homework, who doesn't have the $1000 dollars to waste on a Vista installed pc? Obviously just fuuck you, I guess

Vista is terrible. Even if your Best Buy does carry all Vista PC's, that is a terrible mistake. Still a buggy operating system, with so many useless features that just suck up ram and kill your processor. Please. You may want to use some terrible operating with almost no useful/good updates, but I'll just stick with my 95, 2000, and XP.

DiGiTaLSeraph
03-6-2007, 09:34 AM
Fortunately I see you're only 15 and you obviously haven't done your research on the matter before you've attempted to argue with someone who knows that there are Vista-Installed PCs selling as low as 599$. ****, there are even PACKAGES with those said PCs that sell for 699$ and includes the whole ****ing shabang. (Monitor and Printer included.)

Vista is terrible. Even if your Best Buy does carry all Vista PC's, that is a terrible mistake. Still a buggy operating system, with so many useless features that just suck up ram and kill your processor. Please. You may want to use some terrible operating with almost no useful/good updates, but I'll just stick with my 95, 2000, and XP.

Whoa I thought you were starting an argument? Rofl, you preach the words that everyone in my team has been saying for the past year.

Also, I believe ALL retailers that sell new PCs, sell them with Vista Pre-installed. It was a move made by the manufacturers, not the vendor themselves. Such is the price one must pay for an user-friendly OS.

Maid
03-6-2007, 09:45 AM
I have about 10 themes installed on XP including the Vista look, nothing special.

DiGiTaLSeraph
03-6-2007, 09:47 AM
I'd be really impressed if your theme can emulate the Aero Vista appearance well. (Screen Thumbnails, the 3D scrolling interface, etc...)

I've had a few, but they're been nothing but basicly petty reskins.

Maid
03-6-2007, 09:55 AM
I'd be really impressed if your theme can emulate the Aero Vista appearance well. (Screen Thumbnails, the 3D scrolling interface, etc...)

I've had a few, but they're been nothing but basicly petty reskins.

I tried Vista before, Aero just doesn't make up for all the practical shortcomings vs xp. I'd wait at the very least a year before upgrading. Heck my 2nd box still has win2k installed and I love it.

jg970459
03-6-2007, 10:30 AM
Wow and I almost spent $1000 on a new windows vista computer :O glad i checked here before i did

FishFishRevolution
03-6-2007, 10:31 AM
I would just like to mention how many fingers get pointed at Mac Users for being incompetent with computers, yet it's the vast majority of the PC userbase that can't even install their own next-generation operating system.

nforcer06164
03-6-2007, 10:59 AM
And look how many people were calling Windows Me "Mostly errors" when they were trying to use Windows 98 drivers on a system that was more stable than Windows 98.

It just needs time. I wouldn't upgrade an XP right now, and upgrades are too buggy no matter how stable the OS is.

g4z33b0
03-6-2007, 01:24 PM
Digital, I'm not trying to start an argument, just saying that Vista is a bad OS and it shouldn't be put in "all" computers that are being produced. I am only 15, yes but I've been building and selling computers for years (me and my friend's ebay store - http://stores.ebay.com/CJLEI-Computers), so I do have a bit more knowledge then you would expect.

From what I've seen, any pre-built PC would cost more then $699 to even meet the minimums for Vista, and why would you spend $699 to meet the minimum for an OS when you can spend $699 and get recomended for XP?

And I wouldnt go as far as to say Vista is "a user friendly OS", seeing as you have to approve or deny almost every action/process...

Also, I'm with Tibs. Download the skins... The main improvments I see in Vista are the skins and the visual Alt+Tab. They are extraneous, but they look nice. (I have OSX skins on my XP desktop :D)

Vista FTL. End of story. Use 98, 2000, or XP.

nforcer06164
03-6-2007, 01:45 PM
And I wouldnt go as far as to say Vista is "a user friendly OS", seeing as you have to approve or deny almost every action/process...

Too bad the makers of the commerical that made fun of this conveniently ignored that it can be turned off?

Oh, and your store doesn't seem to exist.

DiGiTaLSeraph
03-6-2007, 01:48 PM
Digital, I'm not trying to start an argument, just saying that Vista is a bad OS and it shouldn't be put in "all" computers that are being produced. I am only 15, yes but I've been building and selling computers for years (me and my friend's ebay store - http://stores.ebay.com/CJLEI-Computers), so I do have a bit more knowledge then you would expect.

From what I've seen, any pre-built PC would cost more then $699 to even meet the minimums for Vista, and why would you spend $699 to meet the minimum for an OS when you can spend $699 and get recomended for XP?

Also, I'm with Tibs. Download the skins... The main improvments I see in Vista are the skins and the visual Alt+Tab. They are extraneous, but they look nice. (I have OSX skins on my XP desktop :D)

Vista FTL. End of story. Use 98, 2000, or XP.

Sorry but your sources are either falsely misguided or lieing. We've even got ACERS with Vista pre-installed, that are selling for that price.

You're trying to pick at one minor detail from my post. Stop it.

Windows is often prized to be very user friendly as an operating system. Try selling a computer to a grandmother that's running on Linux and you'll see what I mean... Not only that...But you can switch that option off, kiddo.

EDIT: Also nforcer, you're right. There hasn't even been an SP1 released yet on Vista- Given time I'm sure that it will become well recieved... But as for now, I claim MARKETING PLOY.

RandomPscho
03-6-2007, 01:56 PM
From what I've seen, any pre-built PC would cost more then $699 to even meet the minimums for Vista, and why would you spend $699 to meet the minimum for an OS when you can spend $699 and get recommended for XP?
The computer I bought about 2.5 years ago was able to run vista with a full aero and it only had 512MB RAM and integrated graphics. It can be run on cheap hardware, it just makes it look like **** because of the integrated graphics that all low-end computers come with, so most manufacturers won't put it on. It can be run though.
EDIT: I mean Hgome Prmeium in the above, Basic runs on Dell's 350$ computers.

For one you can simply turn it off. All those requests are from poor software, not because of Vista. Most of the request are for registry edits/ startup edits etc., which are unneeded and cause a lot of the problem on XP. Sure it is annoying but it will force software vendors to create more self-contained software and prevent a lot of problems. I see the UAC as a benefit over the little annoying-ness in the beginning.

Afrobean
03-6-2007, 04:49 PM
Regarding asking for things:

It asked me every time I ran MapleStory twice. The first time was to say "There are known compatibility issues with this program. Are you sure you want to run it?" And the second time was to say "This is a .exe file and it may contain a virus. Did you initiate this action?"

I'm sure it can be turned off, but there is no reason for it to be so intrusive in the first place.

Kekiz
03-6-2007, 05:14 PM
Lets all downgrade to windows 98 because its really stable and uses hardly any memory to run explorer.

RandomPscho
03-6-2007, 05:19 PM
I'm sure it can be turned off, but there is no reason for it to be so intrusive in the first place.
It is the programs that are intrusive in the OS, thats the problem :) The program probably edits the registry, saves configuration in the registry etc. which is what causes those prompts. Within a year most new software [from good companies] will just ask when you install, otherwise it won't bother you.

Kenzya
03-6-2007, 06:38 PM
Yeah it's a shame a computer isn't setup for me when I first turn it on.

The only reason I'm not using Vista is because of driver support. My Xbox controller doesn't work with Vista. All my games run slower due to lack of any good Vista drivers from Nvidia. All my other programs ran fine.

Otherwise I enjoyed the operating system. Indexed files makes searching a breeze. But seriously, there is nothing really wrong with the OS. Windows Vista is fully use-able. No system crashes of any sort.. no sudden stopping of programs. I just need companies to come out with Vista optimized shit.

RandomPscho
03-6-2007, 06:45 PM
Most of the people that sya it's terrible haven't actually used it yet ;).

YoEr13
03-6-2007, 07:24 PM
Vista isn't worth it if you are a gamer. If you want a good OS either stick with XP or get Linux. However, if you get Linux and don't know what you're doing then you have just wasted money. Back on Vista, the only good thing coming out of it is DirectX 10, so it is highly suggested you get Vista after Service Pack 2 (If they follow up with the tradition). Basically Vista will be good in a while. Until then it's not worth anything.

Kenzya
03-6-2007, 07:36 PM
Vista isn't worth it if you are a gamer. If you want a good OS either stick with XP or get Linux.

Whatever you said after this doesn't even matter.

YoEr13
03-6-2007, 07:45 PM
If you're saying the Linux isn't good for gaming, then you are kind of right. It just depends if you're setting a server up. Linux is good for gaming if you're setting up a server, but XP is better if you're just playing on them.

RandomPscho
03-6-2007, 08:02 PM
I fail to see how Linux is good for gaming when there aren't any game publishers that actually make games on Linux.

Servers are meant for everything, not just gaming...

_pandaman_
03-6-2007, 09:54 PM
My friend has vista, but hes running dual OS on his laptop so he can still play stuff like BF 2142.

*sigh* im getting it later.

buttonmasher0
03-6-2007, 10:08 PM
1)well the vista for now is more like just a new OS, not ment for gaming yet becuase it is to new, people haven't developed games or many programs for it so it COULD be a good gaming OS but it isnt at the moment, so for you people bashing it don't bash it YET, after 3-4 months then............

2) Until they get more security Vista is like a defenseless puppy, for a professional hacker to hack it only takes like 15-20 mins, i've hacked it myself in about half an hour, i mean come on they have fake Vista server's so that people can run it, so far its gotten hacked so much it's ridiculous but i can't reallly judge since this isn't even SP1 or SP2 etc.

P.S. these are pros and cons. i'm not bashing it YET, i always give new OS's a chance(cept iMac OS's, Jesus they suck).......

meno_rocks123
03-6-2007, 11:16 PM
piece of crap.... for the moment.

RandomPscho
03-7-2007, 05:32 AM
YAY!
After 2 months I just got verification of my Vista upgrade (thats free) so only 4-6 weeks until I have a legal versions :)

ModusLink sucks.....

jimerax
03-7-2007, 06:29 AM
Windows XP is even better.

g4z33b0
03-7-2007, 08:48 AM
[QUOTE=nforcer06164;1300723]Too bad the makers of the commerical that made fun of this conveniently ignored that it can be turned off?

[QUOTE]

I believe a direct quote from that commercial is something like "it can be turned off, but that would defeat the purpose entirely". Im not stupid, I know you can turn the option off. So no nforcer they did not "conveniently ignore" that the option can be turned off.

MapleStory isn't intrusive. The thing I've seen it do is create system restore points. The asking itself is intrusive. And Random, learn to spell.

Ok DiGiTaLSeraph, if you support Vista, what are the main pros that you see?

DiGiTaLSeraph
03-7-2007, 11:18 AM
God you're a ****ing idiot.

I don't support Vista; At least not now, anyways.

Also before you critique someone elses spelling, make sure you don't "coneniently ignore" your own while doing so.

RandomPscho
03-7-2007, 04:18 PM
And Random, learn to spell.
Lol, because I spelled something in an edit wrong while quickly typing and said sya instead of say. Little mistakes really don't matter in this forum...

Ok DiGiTaLSeraph, if you support Vista, what are the main pros that you see?
Stability.
Eye candy (yes it matters).
Speed. (Yes, it does run faster and is more responsive than XP.)
Full Direct X10 support.
Media Center is built into premium.
New explorer.
Much better searching.
Eye candy!!!

And, on a side note, you can completely customize what UAC blocks/allows and whether it prompts you on certain actions or just allows them.

AirForceBlue
03-7-2007, 06:14 PM
I like to wait for at least the first Service Pack to be released before I start using a newer Windows on all my computers. I usually get the OS as soon as I can, just so I can play around with it and find out the good, the bad, and anything else I need to know.

DaRkLoTuS666
03-7-2007, 06:48 PM
not worth it

TD_GenoCid3
03-7-2007, 11:00 PM
i may be forced to get vista because what ive heard u need vista to play halo2 on the pc...lame

g4z33b0
03-8-2007, 08:19 AM
I don't support Vista; At least not now, anyways.

Then why are you bitching at me?

Ooh Media Center. I'm amazed. Download Direct X and if you aren't retarted then you wont mess it up, download the Vista skins, fading windows are garbage, and so is visual alt tab, what is wrong with the XP search? Or the Explorer? Even if it is more stable and faster, still not worth it.

DiGiTaLSeraph
03-8-2007, 09:23 AM
Then why are you bitching at me?

Ooh Media Center. I'm amazed. Download Direct X and if you aren't retarted then you wont mess it up, download the Vista skins, fading windows are garbage, and so is visual alt tab, what is wrong with the XP search? Or the Explorer? Even if it is more stable and faster, still not worth it.

Because you're retarded in your uneducated and ignorant arguments against Vista, and I felt you needed to learn a couple things.

No NeEd tO BiTe My FuCeN hEaD oFf

g4z33b0
03-8-2007, 09:29 AM
Ha. My arguments weren't ignorant or uneducated. I wont bit off your head.

RandomPscho
03-8-2007, 03:23 PM
Ha. My arguments weren't ignorant or uneducated. I wont bit off your head.
So why don't we just use Windows 95?

I mean, it had searching, windows explorer, a media player etc.

Why do we bother advancing technology?

AirForceBlue
03-8-2007, 03:58 PM

I prefer MS-DOS =p

I actually still use Command Prompt/Run to open most of my applications (calc, sol, winword, iexplore, etc.). For me, it helps prevent desktop clutter.

Haha, I had Windows 95 installed on a desktop a few months ago. It was fun playing around with it again.

But yeah, Vista seems alright, sort of irritating at first, but things will definitely get better over time. Nothing is ever perfect on its first release, that's why there's updates/revisions, etc.

g4z33b0
03-8-2007, 07:09 PM

I mean, it had searching, windows explorer, a media player etc.

Why do we bother advancing technology?

In one of my first posts in this thread I suggested 95.

magister_negi_magi
03-8-2007, 07:26 PM
...so where is my Vista-tan?

LOL DRAMA BREAKER

RandomPscho
03-8-2007, 07:46 PM
In one of my first posts in this thread I suggested 95.
Ok, then answer why do we bother advancing technology?

g4z33b0
03-8-2007, 07:49 PM
Because people buy newer, fancier, faster, hopefully better things.

RandomPscho
03-8-2007, 08:43 PM
hopefully better things.
Vista :)

AirForceBlue
03-8-2007, 08:50 PM
Because people buy newer, fancier, faster, hopefully better things.
I have a feeling someone is going to bold the word "hopefully," then make some type of remark bashing Vista.

Anyways.

Vista :)

Why can't we all just get along? Bill Gates would have wanted it that way <3

Meh, seriously though. I never understood the heated battles that went on over an OS.

RandomPscho
03-8-2007, 08:57 PM
Meh, seriously though. I never understood the heated battles that went on over an OS.
We need something to fight about. :)
Besides, most people will eventually have Vista whether they want to or not. :)
<3 Bill gates :p

BreekanXchan
03-9-2007, 10:11 AM
We need something to fight about. :)
Besides, most people will eventually have Vista whether they want to or not. :)
<3 Bill gates :p

This is quite true. I haven't been reading any of the posts here really, but I just thought I'd like to throw out there that all of the new desktops that have been put out for sale since February, all have Windows Vista already pre-installed.

buttonmasher0
03-9-2007, 07:41 PM
just becuase they have vista doesn't mean you can't override it to run another windows OS.

AirForceBlue
03-9-2007, 07:50 PM
just becuase they have vista doesn't mean you can't override it to run another windows OS.

Actually, the average user does not know how to do that. Even though more people know how to format and install an OS of their choice than how to dual-boot, the percentage is still quite low.

RandomPscho
03-9-2007, 08:09 PM
Actually, the average user does not know how to do that. Even though more people know how to format and install an OS of their choice than how to dual-boot, the percentage is still quite low.
Which is why I didn't say ALL. :)

TOKEN-MAN
03-9-2007, 08:21 PM
DX10 is completely pointless right now. There are virtually 0 games that currently support it.

There is nothing wrong with XP's explorer nor searching.

I have a lappy with Vista, and I still like it. I'll wait until SP1 until it goes on my desktop.

TOKENS.

cole92
03-10-2007, 01:25 PM
i have windows vista and its not worth it. to many bugs and half of my games wont play anymore due to lag.vista suxxx

gurjeetn
03-10-2007, 02:24 PM
i have windows vista and its not worth it. to many bugs and half of my games wont play anymore due to lag.vista suxxx

Wait 4-5 more months, there wont be any bugs.
I was going to get vista but then we asked one of the people working at the shop if there are still bugs in it and they said yeah, just wait a couple months.
thats why i dont have it.

bcjuggler
03-14-2007, 09:54 PM
Vista pwnz. Don't be fooled by common misconceptions like it's a memory hawg. It uses the RAM differently, but it still runs things well; just as smooth as XP. If you're saying that XP is better, then you're retarded. It's virtually the same thing. Gaming companies just got lazy and never bothered testing specifically for Vista. You're gonna get pwnd by linux or mac anyways so give it up and at least get the latest m$ product b4 you argue in favor of a m$ product...

Also, if you don't have enough HDD space for vista...get moar bytez f00l. HDDs are like 300GB standard now; delete some anime or some junk.

rickz0rz
03-14-2007, 10:35 PM
Vista pwnz. Don't be fooled by common misconceptions like it's a memory hawg. It uses the RAM differently, but it still runs things well; just as smooth as XP. If you're saying that XP is better, then you're retarded. It's virtually the same thing. Gaming companies just got lazy and never bothered testing specifically for Vista. You're gonna get pwnd by linux or mac anyways so give it up and at least get the latest m$ product b4 you argue in favor of a m$ product...

Also, if you don't have enough HDD space for vista...get moar bytez f00l. HDDs are like 300GB standard now; delete some anime or some junk.

This post makes no sense.

First off, if 'Vista and XP are virtually the same thing', why are there so many problems? Even more importantly, why should one upgrade? Also, it shouldn't be up to the game companies to test everything they made 10 years ago with Vista--that's in M$' bag.

Secondly, the 300GB 'standard' is wayyyyy off. Laptops don't have 300GB standard--you're lucky to get 100-120GB usually. Desktops are a different beast but then again, my brother just got a PC with an 80GB HDD.

To end, both statements are completely invalid and often self-contradicting.

(P.S. It is a bad memory hog. And it has been, since Beta 1 when I first tried it.)

bcjuggler
03-14-2007, 10:39 PM
Vista IS the same as XP. That's what m$ does. They take their first OS and build on it (creating 'problems'). We saw the same with XP but it's still better than previous windows releases is it not? If you want 10 year old games to run, get a 10 year old OS. Vista is still an improvement.

300GB standard is not way off. Almost every new desktop has around there. Secondly, with 100-120 GB...can u store a 15GB vista? Durr...

RandomPscho
03-15-2007, 05:40 AM
First off, if 'Vista and XP are virtually the same thing', why are there so many problems?
What Problems? I haven't found any problems with Vista, no bug or crashes.

It is not Microsofts responsibility to make sure all the drivers work... I would also agree 300GB is pretty much standard on anything above a bargain computer...

nforcer06164
03-15-2007, 08:20 AM
It is not Microsofts responsibility to make sure all the drivers work... I would also agree 300GB is pretty much standard on anything above a bargain computer...

BAHAHAHA. Yeah, when a manufacturer makes a totally new operating system and makes so many integral "improvements" that so many system devices fail to work, it's not the OS manufacturer's fault at all. Nope. Basic stuff, like memory card readers, that worked just fine previously now fail, and the responsibility for those drivers ceasing to function... that problem does not lie with Microsoft at all.

Oh, and when an "express upgrade" causes the blue screen of death, it's probably not a good thing.

g4z33b0
03-15-2007, 08:35 AM
Why is this thread still alive? Vista is at the moment a bad OS.

Afrobean
03-15-2007, 08:42 AM
Vista IS the same as XP. That's what m$ does. They take their first OS and build on it (creating 'problems'). We saw the same with XP but it's still better than previous windows releases is it not? If you want 10 year old games to run, get a 10 year old OS. Vista is still an improvement.
I thought this was hilarious.

So NT is the same as Windows 95, eh? I guess Windows XP is based on DOS too?

Get a 10 year old operating system to run 10 year old apps? You're suggesting we use Windows 95 to run Windows 95 applications instead of Vista. That's not what anyone is complaining about. People are complaining about apps for Windows XP which are quite new not running correctly on Vista. Yeah, Vista has computability mode to counteract compatibility issues, but there's no way in hell it works too great. It worked good enough for me to run MapleStory, I'll admit, but I'm sure it wouldn't be difficult for someone upgrading from XP to find apps that fail. My computer with Vista was brand new, so everything on it was downloaded or came on it.

bcjuggler
03-15-2007, 01:31 PM
NT was an anomaly. 98 = 95 w/ moar failbait IE integration. Vista is just a prettier XP that utilizes RAM better.

AirForceBlue
03-15-2007, 03:34 PM
BAHAHAHA. Yeah, when a manufacturer makes a totally new operating system and makes so many integral "improvements" that so many system devices fail to work, it's not the OS manufacturer's fault at all. Nope. Basic stuff, like memory card readers, that worked just fine previously now fail, and the responsibility for those drivers ceasing to function... that problem does not lie with Microsoft at all.

Oh, and when an "express upgrade" causes the blue screen of death, it's probably not a good thing.

No, it is not the OS manufacturer's fault at all... You don't make an operating system to be compatible with certain drivers, the drivers have to be made compatible with the operating system. Most of the current memory card readers were designed to be plug and play on Windows XP and possibly older versions of Windows..

As for the blue screen... No. That's not good. Wow, I haven't seen blue screenies since Windows ME/98ish. At what point during the upgrade did it happen? I've heard of it happening if you plug in a USB TV Adapter during the upgrade.

nforcer06164
03-15-2007, 08:57 PM
I haven't experienced it, but I've heard enough stories and seen enough videos to steer me clear of an upgrade. If I ever use Vista, I'll buy a new computer with a clean install.

I've blue-screened two XP units: one by trying to patch winlogon because some stupid kid at our school upgraded to a previously-registered XP from 2000 and downgrade is impossible. The patch just corrupted winlogon and the hard drive irreparably crashed. The second blue screen came when I used a pirated version of an AVI converter on a Gateway computer at school. It worked fine after I hard reset it. It's probably because it's a Gateway.

AirForceBlue
03-15-2007, 09:37 PM
Hah, that's cool. Years of working with XP and I've yet to be lucky enough to get a blue screen =p

Vista + Clean install = best way to go in my opinion. I hate buying computers retail mainly because of all the bundled crap they put on. I'm not sure about what's bundled with most Vista PCs, but if it's anything like they did in the past, there's probably 10-20 things running at startup, along with trial versions of numerous programs that you don't want.

And yeah, those school computers do weird stuff, especially Gateways/Pelicans and most OEM PCs. They make em even less stable by putting all those filter/block programs on half the time.

nforcer06164
03-15-2007, 09:52 PM
And yeah, those school computers do weird stuff, especially Gateways/Pelicans and most OEM PCs. They make em even less stable by putting all those filter/block programs on half the time.

Hahaha. Good thing that's my job.

soulofcerberus
03-15-2007, 09:56 PM
Well I agree that if you're going to get Vista, go with a clean install.

I'm on my Sony Vaio SZ with vista that i got yesterday and it works great.

:] Well in my opinion the OS is great. Haven't had a problem yet.

Jpshadsy
03-15-2007, 10:31 PM
I really dont like vista im good with xp i mean what actally upgraded i use it on the laptop my mom bought that came with it but xp is just easier to use i guess because im so used to using it

buttonmasher0
04-4-2007, 07:38 PM
actually google symatic killer and plug a usb into yur school comp and its dead, they've switched me with like 10 dif comps and i still had them all killed.......of corse i did this for stuff like ffr etc.

nforcer06164
04-4-2007, 07:41 PM
If you're going to bump a thread, at least be coherent. Jesus Christ...

kylegusek
04-9-2007, 06:05 PM
yea theyre selling vista rite now as sort of a test to see who buys it. wait untill they make it bettr. also, my friends plays WoW, and he says it sux bcause the display goes black every 2 min or so

madmatt621
04-9-2007, 06:16 PM
Why did you bump?

g4z33b0
04-9-2007, 07:40 PM
actually google symatic killer and plug a usb into yur school comp and its dead, they've switched me with like 10 dif comps and i still had them all killed.......of corse i did this for stuff like ffr etc.

Nice no content - no grammar - not necessary bump. Chit Chat appreciates people like you.

madmatt621
04-9-2007, 07:56 PM
Nice no content - no grammar - not necessary bump. Chit Chat appreciates people like you.This is why Squeek made this: http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/showthread.php?t=18770

soccerdude18105
06-13-2007, 09:16 PM
NT was an anomaly. 98 = 95 w/ moar failbait IE integration. Vista is just a prettier XP that utilizes RAM better.

g4z33b0
06-13-2007, 09:18 PM
words copied from top of page

Ya. We heard, on March 15th. Come back when you have something to add to the conversation.

DDR-9-Footer
06-14-2007, 09:21 AM
I have vista on my brand new xps
pros: Looks really cool
Cons: Lots of programas dont run vista yet, try not to get it unless your buying a new comp or somethng like that. Cant use help Files ;_;

yeah wait a few monts or even a year for the world to catch up on vista

bluguerrilla
06-14-2007, 09:34 AM
Know what would be better than Windows Vista? Windows Doom. You have to fight your way through demon-like monsters to get your files.

Really though, has it improved at all since before this was bumped in the few short months? I haven't even seen it yet, nor do I know if my 2 GHz + 2 MB comp could handle it...

g4z33b0
06-14-2007, 10:40 AM
Hey DDR 9 Footer, your main problem is that you wasted your money on an overrated piece of garbage (XPS). Not only did you buy an XPS, which with an acceptable OS (XP, 95, 2000) is still a waste of money, but you paid even more and got Vista, making any computer exponentially worse. GG.

nforcer06164
06-14-2007, 11:10 AM
Vista isn't really all that bad if it's a fresh install instead of an upgrade. My dad got a pretty nice Dimension desktop with Vista and no compatibility problems with anything so far. The only things I dislike are the new start menu and how turning off UAC is considered a security flaw. Both can be resolved or overlooked with minor tweaks.

Rule of thumb: NEVER EVER EVER upgrade a Windows version. Always do a fresh install.

I don't ever feel like leaving XP, pretty as Vista is. Maybe I should wait for Vienna.

DDR-9-Footer
06-14-2007, 12:31 PM
yea theyre selling vista rite now as sort of a test to see who buys it. wait untill they make it bettr. also, my friends plays WoW, and he says it sux bcause the display goes black every 2 min or so

I have that same problem:cry:

g4z33b0
06-14-2007, 12:39 PM
Oh god nforcer, I completely agree. Upgrading is such a hassle.

I'm sticking with XP Pro and OS X, finally started using Macs when I started an internship a few weeks ago and this $300 computer runs great (and the skins are hot).

Read my post DDR 9 Footer.

Nightfirecat
06-14-2007, 02:12 PM
Vista isn't really all that bad if it's a fresh install instead of an upgrade. My dad got a pretty nice Dimension desktop with Vista and no compatibility problems with anything so far. The only things I dislike are the new start menu and how turning off UAC is considered a security flaw. Both can be resolved or overlooked with minor tweaks.

Rule of thumb: NEVER EVER EVER upgrade a Windows version. Always do a fresh install.

I don't ever feel like leaving XP, pretty as Vista is. Maybe I should wait for Vienna.

yeah-- XP is INFINITELY better... Vista is still buggy and wierd...

Vienna?... dunno what that is.. I just got an idea..
They need to make a new XP that is a bit upgraded (not to the point where vista is) and it performs in the same way.

nforcer06164
06-15-2007, 08:37 AM
Vienna?... dunno what that is.. I just got an idea..
They need to make a new XP that is a bit upgraded (not to the point where vista is) and it performs in the same way.

Vienna is to Vista what Vista is to XP; it's the codename for Microsoft's next OS, and it's already in development.

I'm so used to XP and I'm a master at support for the OS. However, Vista is quite different, as Windows 2000 was from XP. My technical ability is going to diminish. Damn you, Microsoft ;-;

An upgraded XP, you say? With some Vista features? It's coming with XP SP3, free to all XP SP2 users. I forget the project quarter release (and can't really check because I'm using my Wii), but just do a Google search for XP SP3 and it should come up.