PDA

View Full Version : One hand?

ddrmaster94
12-21-2006, 09:56 PM
I was playing on MP with a person and I FC'd Hanabi. The other person lost and said "Lol Two hander." And I said yes i am a two-hander. And that other guy said " Using two hands is idiotic. You won't be capable of doing things with one hand." I said "You called me idiotic because you lost." and I left.

I'm a two hander and I don't think one-handers are idiotic. Can someone give me a statement about the advantages of using one-hand? Because every person is different and they use what they're comfortable with.

dore
12-21-2006, 09:59 PM
Jumpjacks are about the only thing being one handed helps on vs. spread. Spins are about the only thing easier to do vs. index.

EDIT: Basically, stick with 2 hands.

Dronak
12-22-2006, 06:54 AM
The jumpjacks would have to use a finger from each hand though, right dore? (Or is that the definition of it? I thought any two arrows made a jump.) In that case, you'd be trying to perfectly synchronize key presses from both hands, in which case it would probably be a bit easier doing it with one hand.

I imagine many people who use one hand do so because it's the usual, natural way of using the arrow keys. To play two handed or spread takes more work and practice. I've tried two handed, but just don't have the patience to stick with it until I get better. I'm generally content to just have fun here playing one handed and seeing how well I can do. I'll probably never reach the top ranks, but as long as I'm enjoying it and hopefully see improvements at least occasionally, I won't worry too much about it.

nestlekwik
12-22-2006, 08:28 AM
Just do what feels comfortable for you. It's a game. Play on your own terms and have fun.

Exag0n
12-22-2006, 09:17 AM
Nah, just like in every topic, learn to play spread. One-handers are known to be bitchy sometimes, but that's only because most of them stagnate skill-wise (as I did).

tha07carter
12-22-2006, 10:10 AM
Nah, just like in every topic, learn to play spread. One-handers are known to be bitchy sometimes, but that's only because most of them stagnate skill-wise (as I did).

Ouch, tough statement. I'm a one-hander, and i think i'm pretty decent at this game. I believe that playing one-hand is more of a challenge thing, i get a sense of pride when i can FC things like platypus, kick it, La Luna Caida, save me, and mess like that, but to a two-hander, those songs are cake. I ALMOST can FC NeoMax, but i believe songs like that and that new Tourtintua song require two hands. SOOOOOOO....if you're a two hander, great. For fun though, try playing one handed, it's great.

DarkManticoreX2
12-22-2006, 10:13 AM

Hey there. Hasty generalizations are not your freind.

Exag0n
12-22-2006, 10:23 AM
Hey there. Hasty generalizations are not your freind.

Key words being "sometimes" and "most." It's just a known fact that playing spread (or hell, even index) is easier, overall, than one-handed play. I probably should've said that in my first post.

DarkRavenX9X
12-22-2006, 06:57 PM
I unfortunately started playing FFR/Stepmania with one hand and now I've been using one hand for two years and I cannot play any other way. I think two hands is somewhat unfair due to that since I've nearly mastered one handed play, I can't possibly play as fast as the best two handers. Nonetheless, I can understand that people would play two handed because it's easier, but I'm proud to play as well as I can with only one hand =]

s0ulst0n3
12-22-2006, 08:57 PM
Jumpjacks, and being able to drink a Coca-Cola while playing!

Stick with 2-hands, I'm a one-hander and I found out that being 2 handed makes you better faster...I'm only playing using one-hand because I find that it takes more time and effort to play one-handed...I eventually want to be as good as DMX2 :P

the_ballistic_mystic
12-22-2006, 09:00 PM
I'm learning spread but can already do alot of VC's and FMO with less then 20 misses so I dont want to give it up. You'll be alot better spread but CIA rave one handed is a freaken blast whaen you get good enough.

DarkRavenX9X
12-23-2006, 12:42 PM
I'm learning spread but can already do alot of VC's and FMO with less then 20 misses so I dont want to give it up. You'll be alot better spread but CIA rave one handed is a freaken blast whaen you get good enough.

Definately. And I agree with tha07carter, there's a certain sense of pride you get when you can FC or AAA hard songs, because you're using the hardest playing method. As much as I'd like to become a master player, I probably never will be because I wont ever be able to switch to a different method. I think one-handed players should be respected for how damn hard they work to get as good as a two handed player can get in like a month. If you play two handed and have never played one handed, you wouldn't know how much of a challenge it really is.

ddrmaster94
12-23-2006, 01:38 PM
Actually, as the starter of this thread, I do one-hand on a lot of difficult songs. I wanted to try one-hand with Beethoven Virus, but unfortunately, it was taken off. I was about to FC breaking the common with one hand, but someone IM'd me. Ya, I know how hard one-hand is. My fingers aren't just fast enough, yet.

cC@Zz
12-23-2006, 03:04 PM
I personally play better with one hand, probably because I just don't even try practicing two handed very often. I've used one hand for so long I'm just used to it.

G.S.M
12-23-2006, 04:39 PM
Playing one-handed is very fun! Sure, may not become the best that way... who cares? It's fun playing this way.

phe0nixblade
12-23-2006, 05:03 PM
I'ma one-hander myself. And look at my scores. X)

I admit that an anusload of 2 handers of have killed me. But I have killed a good number of 2 handes in my day too. So, yeaaaaah. =]

DDR poser
12-23-2006, 05:17 PM
I play one-handed as well. I'm actually not very good, I've been playing for
.17 years and have only FC'd Alpha Helix (27 goods, rest perfect). But I don't mind, it seems to me that playing with one hand is more graceful, everything just kinda flows. And like G.S.M. and countless others said, play for fun, not only because you want to be the best. I suggest briefly trying out all the methods of playing (I say briefly because you will get attached to them otherwise) and see which one you like the best. I tried playing two-handed, and it worked okay, but it just struck me as uncomfortable and unnatural. You are the only one who can truly decide what is right for you.

Ekehart
12-24-2006, 12:25 AM
Eh... I played one-handed for a while...And got pretty good. Then, I decided to switch to spread. So, I've been playing spread for the past two weeks. It's kinda hard trying to sync the two hands on jumpjacks...But, other than that, It's alright.

I prefer two-handed, because the faster streams just seem to roll better. Your fingers move a bit faster, and so...You can read faster. *shrugs* Though... I did almost FC platypus on one-hand... I was like... 3 misses away. *sigh*

Eke

Loot You
12-24-2006, 01:21 AM
So far I've been only 1 or 2 misses away from FCing thinking different, hanabi, euthanasia, rondo alla turca (quite a few more misses here because the jumps are out of sync) playing with one hand since i was introduced to FFR 3 months ago. Yesterday I started practicing KL56 spread and im getting better at it, but I'm still way better with 1 hand and can't let it go. I just hate how my hand feels sometimes doing staircases, running mans, and fast up and down notes (like the end of euthanasia, or jelly roll blues) The only good side of playing 1 handed that I can see so far: I can eat a ham sandwich and drink coke while playing those songs.

the_ballistic_mystic
12-24-2006, 10:49 AM
Oh, I def. FC'd Thinking different like 2 weeks ago, 3 months in the making I was so Psyched!

Pichu_XP
12-24-2006, 11:09 AM
It seems as though alot of people start playing with one hand. Those who felt handicapped moved over to two-handing or spread, but we never see two-handers/spreaders moving to one-handing. Why is that? xD

TD_Project
12-24-2006, 01:46 PM
http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/showthread.php?p=1047584#post1047584

Exag0n
12-24-2006, 03:06 PM
The general conclusion is:

If you want to play for fun and you're already good at it, playing one-handed has a certain cache attached to it. But if you're going for pure skill and/or pure scores, spread is the way to go.