PDA

View Full Version : Any suggestions out there?

PRB8589
10-18-2004, 04:45 PM
I have recently made the switch from FFR to Stepmania like many have until the release of R2. It seems that i can do fine on most songs standard but when i try a song on heavy i fail instantly. I downloaded the keyboard megapack (not knowing all the songs were heavy) and couldnt pass any of them and i want to pass some of them soon so ive been practicing on my other songs i have downloaded and it gets boring. Any suggestions on what i should do? what songs i should practice on? If its any help i play one hand 3 fingers.

Tasselfoot
10-18-2004, 04:52 PM
that might be your problem. you play one-handed. its the hardest way to play, so you'll have the lowest scores and the hardest time passing songs.

you might want to seriously consider switching to 4-finger (index and middle of each hand) or index. also, what scroll rate do you use? you should be reading around 550-650 bpm optimally. but, more than anything... practice.

good songs from the keyboard pack to practice on are Quasar, which is all streams... War Games or Geno's Woods which are both very easy... those are probably your best bets. stay away from Vanish ITA, Snow, Otaku Speedvibe, Cynic, Oi Punk, and the like.

PRB8589
10-18-2004, 05:04 PM
I dont understand what u mean by scroll rate

Tasselfoot
10-18-2004, 05:06 PM
scroll rate = how fast the arrows go up the screen. say a song is 150bpm, and you play it on 3x scroll... that is a scroll rate of 450bpm. C400 makes the scroll rate of a song Constant 400bpm.

PRB8589
10-18-2004, 05:16 PM
Usually i use 3x scroll depending on the song sometimes 2...So i guess this is bad?

Tasselfoot
10-18-2004, 05:50 PM
it depends. do the math to figure out what the scroll rate is. you probably are reading between 300-400. try working on getting it up to 550-600. it will take time, but it will make you better in the long run.

saigo
10-18-2004, 06:21 PM
hey i use three fingers, and i can do alot of heavy mode songs, i keep trying to switch but i can/could only focus with three fingers... now... hands dead..
yeah had to make the note that i use three fingers and i beat alot of heavy mode songs at b usually :P

PRB8589
10-18-2004, 06:25 PM
Yea i have been trying to use the 4 finger 2 hand method but im so comfortable using 3 fingers one hand.

Velious
10-18-2004, 08:27 PM
Try indexing then, i went from 1 handed to index like 2-3 months ago, was hard at first but once i got used to it my scores skyrocketed

SSCUJO
10-19-2004, 07:16 AM
I tried to make the switch but im very good one handed... and the keyboard pack isn't a challenge for me. just keep practicing.. its taken me 2 years to get this good with 1 hand.

Kilgamayan
10-19-2004, 10:11 AM
^ Post scores.

SSCUJO
10-19-2004, 01:05 PM
i would but it just takes so much effort to prove my scores with vids and stuff... cuse i can't just show up with my scores because know one will beleive me cuse they havn't seen my progress.

ImEric12
10-19-2004, 02:09 PM
Umm.. or you could just post them anyway? Because the way you put it, it looks like that's just a bad excuse, and that you're really not that good. I believe you, but you should still post scores.

battyone
10-19-2004, 02:59 PM
The thing with the keyboard mega pack is that they arent heavy, they are challange, and arch0wl changed it to heavy. Those runs are dificult for people who are getting used to stepmania in my opinion. I am looking around for the normal simfiles of some of the songs, halloween is a good song, but I only know this because I set fail to at end to hear the song once...:P (Yes, I play one handed...)

Sudden2
10-19-2004, 04:40 PM
I have recently made the switch from FFR to Stepmania like many have until the release of R2.

I dont consiter StepMania something to cool my nerves till r2 comes out.

For me most likely Ill still play stepmania and probably not ffr. But eh it hasnt come out yet so I cant be the judge of myself.

ps Switch to indexes, there is alot more index based songs out there that arent biased like most of them in the keyboard pack, of course once you get good enough you can get good scores on them, for me I can pass all of the songs except for k8107 because of jacks >=( and theres like one more I cant pass because its really long and is all four finger bias... cant remember what it was though.

Overall, personally I find indexes easier to use... may not be the case for you but eh... its a really easy switch when you start out because one hand inst second nature to you right then.

PRB8589
10-19-2004, 07:24 PM
Thanks for all your input I will switch to indexes no matter how uncomfortable it may be at first

Moogy
10-20-2004, 06:24 AM
Stay with one hand. :'(

It's the best style, really.

Kilgamayan
10-20-2004, 06:58 AM
Yeah, it's how all the cool kids play.

Plus you can fap.