PDA

View Full Version : Someone has stolen my name.

Chrissi
09-7-2004, 10:20 AM
In case you didn't know (and most people don't), in some online places I'm known as Chrissi, but I usually use Rediahs. Rediahs is a word that came entirely out of my own typo-prone fingers.

Someone else online is using the name "Rediahs". Now, before I started to use the name, I checked google to make sure nobody else was. I found not a single match for it.

They don't seem very smart, either... if you search google for "Rediahs" yourself you'll know what I mean. All but two of those matches are that person. The only ones (currently, as of Sept 7 2004) that are me are that Oekaki place, and Diagon Alley forum.

Now the thing is, I know it didn't just pop out of their own head. There are 8 billion different 7-letter letter combinations, and as far as I can see, Rediahs is just as random as the rest.

Now I don't know what to do :( I chose Rediahs because it was completely and entirely original. Rediahs is me. I am Rediahs. No one else. But now I find out someone else is using it???

Does anyone know what I should do? I can't figure out how the person should be contacted, and I wouldn't even know what to say.. "Hey yo, stop using my name!" doesn't sound very... good.

I'm thinking they probably saw me using it in Diablo or Conquer (some games I play) and thought "Oh that's a cool name" and started using it. :(

I feel so viiiii'ahlated.

lightdarkness
09-7-2004, 10:24 AM
There are 3 or 4 lightdarkness's, or close variants, just don't let it get to you.

Chrissi
09-7-2004, 10:33 AM
But lightdarkness is actually made up of WORDS! Rediahs is.. random stuff... :\

Xaimus
09-7-2004, 11:01 AM
The same thing happened with my handle. I checked search engines to see if the name I synthesized was unique. It was clean then. Now, a bunch of asshole brazillian webloggers use my handle in pages with titles similar to "oo I need You baby oo". Then some random people (two?) use my handle at message boards.

EDIT: Some jackass at freenode also stole and registered my handle with nickserv. I now fall back to Xaimoatse. :(

Privateer
09-7-2004, 11:17 AM
As long as they are not pretending to be you, it doesn't really matter. No big deal.

Kilgamayan
09-7-2004, 11:27 AM
About two months after creating my first GameFAQs account I found someone else had taken the AIM screenname "Kilgamayan".

Seriously, what the hell.

djsmalls
09-7-2004, 11:29 AM
there are some other djsmalls out there but i dont complain
none of them attempt to steal my identity (though stealing my name) so it doesnt matter
u probrably dont have anything to worry about chrissi

User6773
09-7-2004, 11:35 AM
There's a Chardish on AIM. I check every couple months to see if the name is dropped. It's not.

Sudden2
09-7-2004, 12:04 PM
http://adriana.dizinc.com/suspended.page/?f=20

is this what you are talking about? If it is, the account is suspended.

http://img85.exs.cx/img85/8034/Rediahscopy.png

Kenzya
09-7-2004, 12:06 PM
There's a Kenzya on AIM.. and a Kenzya1182 for some reason.. silly people..

Squeek
09-7-2004, 12:13 PM
Squeek is taken everywhere. It's VERY annoying.

The only solution to remaining exclusive is to get another new name and never use it for anything so nobody can find out about it.

~Squeek

Chrissi
09-7-2004, 12:13 PM
http://adriana.dizinc.com/suspended.page/?f=20

is this what you are talking about? If it is, the account is suspended.

Yes, the account is suspended! As it ought to be, the bastards.

Long story. You probably don't want to hear it.

Sudden2
09-7-2004, 12:38 PM
Long story. You probably don't want to hear it.

I do :D

QreepyBORIS
09-7-2004, 02:00 PM
My name hasn't been stolen, as of yet. I think.

Kenzya
09-7-2004, 03:00 PM
OH HO HO.

*cough* *cough* I think QreppyBORIS is taken on a few more forums now ;)

fusi0n
09-7-2004, 03:02 PM
Get over it.

ThEclipse
09-7-2004, 03:42 PM
Eclipse is obviously very popular and taken everywhere(even here). But I forgot my password on the other account here(Eclipse) so I had to make a new one.

jazzmosis
09-7-2004, 04:15 PM
There's a posse of Jazzmosis' online - all posing me.

Chrissi
09-7-2004, 04:25 PM
Okay guys, stop mocking me. The name "Rediahs" is nothing like Jazzmosis or fusi0n or anything. The only way he would have that name, short of a 8 billion to 1 co-incidence, is if he saw me using it and decided he wanted it.

THAT is what bothers me. If it were a name like "beegurl" I wouldn't be all "OMG STEALING MY NAME" but fuck, it's Rediahs. What does Rediahs sound like? Nothing. It's random stuff.

And the long story behind Diagon Alley is...

On deviantART, emoticons on the site are donated to the community by pixel/emoticon artists. However, they are not for use outside of the site. It says that right on the emoticon sheet. Also, all of them are original to the authors. They are NOT supposed to be widespread. The emoticons were made for deviantART.

Get it? Okay. Good. And this was the thing that the people at Diagon Alley did NOT understand. They were using emoticons from deviantART, and when asked to remove the offending emoticons, they refused unless they got a direct message from each of the artists who created them.

Of course that's ridiculous because it says right on the deviantART sheet that they are copyright their respective artists, and are not to be used anywhere else. So a couple of artists were notified and complained on the site, and THEIR emoticons were taken down from it, pleasing the certain artists. However no general action was taken to ensure emoticons weren't stolen from deviantART anymore. There were still plenty of ripped emotes.

I'm so glad to see their account suspended. Maybe deviantART took action! That would be excellent! Hooray. I hate art thieves, especially art thieves who consider emoticons not to be art.

Jordy0823
09-7-2004, 04:33 PM
I see people names Moogy/Moogle alot

Kenzya
09-7-2004, 05:01 PM
Kenzya is completely made up.. out of my mind.. it's a coincidence that it came out as Kenya with a Z.. Yet there are a couple people on EVERQUEST with the name Kenzya and a couple people on AIM with the name Kenzya..

CalibreneGuru
09-7-2004, 05:11 PM
I can guarantee no one but me uses my name, and if they did I would seriously be like "wtf".

staroceanfreakx
09-7-2004, 05:16 PM
SOFX and S0FX were taken, but people use that for my nickname sometimes if they don't like to type it alot. And in one rather unfortunate typo incident, I was called sofa instead of sofx, and some people still call me sofa.

Reach
09-7-2004, 05:31 PM
Uh yea...get over it...theres like a billion people on the net. Someones bound to type in the same letters for a name as you. Not to mention 'Rediahs' has the world Red in it, i'm sure eventually, no matter what name you use, someone else is going to use it or come up with it, unless you have something like 'ASDFGJKL;jamespoopypantSS$$$PIMP'

ThEclipse
09-7-2004, 06:08 PM
ASDFGJKL;jamespoopypantSS$$$PIMP
Taken.

Chrissi
09-7-2004, 08:37 PM
OMG NO THAT WUZ MY SECRIT USRNAME U RUINED IT!!!!

Kenzya
09-7-2004, 08:53 PM
"Rediahs"
Let's elaborate.

Rediahs kind of sounds like "Red Eyes" which happens to be in the movie Mystery Men. Someone who thinks they're original makes their nickname RedEyes. It's taken, so they just sound it out and get it at "Rediahs".

User6773
09-7-2004, 09:17 PM
Am I the only one here who supports Chrissi?

Rediahs, like Chardish, is an invented name, and as someone who has used his invented name for 4+ years on various places on the Internet, I understand her plight. It's a name that sounds like a name, rather than a screen name.

I wouldn't want to see some idiot go around impersonating me on other forums, either. In fact I wouldn't even like the idea of there being another Chardish out there.

Kenzya
09-7-2004, 09:26 PM
I thought of you more as a vegetable than a person.

TACODUDE
09-7-2004, 09:31 PM
Someone coulda seriously messed up when spelling "Radish" and thought it looked cool, so they kept it.

jewpinthethird
09-7-2004, 10:23 PM
Holy sh*t, I would fly off the handle if someone took my name.

Tantric
09-8-2004, 01:35 PM
why does it matter....there are atleast 280million people in the US and you're telling us
that you are the only person to think of that name...? And thats not counting people from
Canada and other parts of the world..so just deal with it.

Feuergeist
09-8-2004, 07:59 PM
heh, I havent seen another person using my name. course, somebody on aim took it already, but they are never on. I have a feeling that I did it, and forgot the password.

Tasuke
09-8-2004, 08:53 PM
i don't really care if someone took this screen name 'cuz
it's based off of an anime character thus is fairly popular,
but if I had a completely original name and someeone took
it I would be extremely pissed

Chrissi
09-8-2004, 09:23 PM
Tantric, how many have internet access? How many of those people actually WANT to use a made-up name (rather than basketball-boi or sweetsxybitch or those popular sounding names)... you don't see very many people with made-up names. More often than not they are variations of actual words.

I would say that less than a few million people would actually use a name such as "Rediahs". Now consider that there are 8 billion different ways you can make a 7-letter word.

Okay, so it's got the word "red" in it... there are still half a million 4-letter possibilities. But then what other words could you tack onto the beginning of "iahs", which is an odd combination indeed? You could go Funkiahs, which sounds to be more popular than something like Rediahs but GUESS WHAT, google results nothing for it. You could tack anything on there. Brings the idea count BACK WAY UP. What about Bluiahs? Greeniahs? In fact I just tried a bunch of colours and none of them turned up anything.

I don't understand how it sounds like "eyes" anyway... but as far as I can tell nobody is using it that way. The only real google result I can find for something that sounds like Rediahs is the word Obediahs...

By the way I'm from Canada, so if I were you I'd count the 30-40 million people in Canada before those in the US... :)

The statistics just don't add up. I don't see how anybody else could randomly think to use Rediahs for a name. Or a word at all. This means that it's very likely that they saw me using it and started using it themselves. THIS is what bothers me. It damn freaks me out that somebody would want my name.

If anybody's got any real evidence that, for some reason, Rediahs is something that people might use without having seen it before, I'd like to hear it.

Kenzya
09-8-2004, 09:57 PM
You make it sound like nothing like this has ever happend in the whole of the universe. What are you going to do? What do you expect other people to do? I mean, fuck. You have no proof other than "your beliefs" that say someone can't make it up without having seen it. Keep using it or give it up.

I don't understand how it could freak you out. Even if someone did see your name and take it it's just because they like the name or something similar. It's not like they're stealing your clothes and pretending to be you on the streets.

Sorry.

Scarlette
09-9-2004, 06:55 AM
No one ever steals my name...'cause Scarlette is just well...I don't know.

It's my real name. Do you see someone walking around with the name Scarlette all the time? No, you don't. It's just...me.

Once I tried to join this site and my name was taken, but it turns out my friend made the name. I was like, "Wtf!? What's the pass, it's mine now." and he gave it, because he's like, obsessed with me.

Chrissi
09-9-2004, 10:07 AM
You make it sound like nothing like this has ever happend in the whole of the universe.

I didn't intend for it to. Sorry.

What are you going to do? What do you expect other people to do? I mean, fuck. You have no proof other than "your beliefs" that say someone can't make it up without having seen it. Keep using it or give it up.

You're right, I have no proof. You're absolutely right there. I never claimed to have proof, and if you have proof that they DIDN'T I'd REALLY like to hear it.

I don't understand how it could freak you out. Even if someone did see your name and take it it's just because they like the name or something similar. It's not like they're stealing your clothes and pretending to be you on the streets.

It's because it's the exact reason I chose the name.. it was unique. I wanted a unique name, and now it's no longer unique, probably because of some dumbass who decided it sounded cool and took it.

Arch0wl
09-9-2004, 11:21 AM
There are several ArchOwl's.

There's one Arch0wl. It's me. Everything you google under Arch0wl will be related to me, and if just so happens to not be (doubtful) they're probably not that significant anyway because my google results compared to theirs is like the entire army of China and North America vs Zimbabwe

Kenzya
09-9-2004, 11:31 AM
Everyone thinks their name is unique.. Look up Kenzya in google.. see what you get..

Arch0wl
09-9-2004, 11:41 AM
Kenzya I google my name at least once a week I know if someone has my name or not

Kenzya
09-9-2004, 11:44 AM
If you google my nick you get a bunch of foreign websites.. things like http://www.hi-ho.ne.jp/hirose/ff/ff3/cyara/kenzya.htm

Chrissi
09-9-2004, 12:32 PM
Everyone thinks their name is unique.. Look up Kenzya in google.. see what you get..

Kenzya.. you obviously did not read my other posts. My name WAS unique, and NOW it is not.

I DID google it.

-_-

Tantric
09-9-2004, 01:07 PM
this thread is retarded I think...who cares if you made up a id and someone else has it too..

esupin
09-9-2004, 01:27 PM
i think you're a bit too crazy about this. I'd be peeved if someone took my name, but hey. It's just the internet. It's not real life. :wink:

Chrissi
09-9-2004, 01:54 PM
So we're not allowed to make threads about things that aren't important? o.O

I realize this isn't a life-or-death situation, but just because you guys think it "doesn't matter" doesn't mean I have to read the same message about how it's just a name, that I should get over it, over and over and over...

esupin
09-9-2004, 02:20 PM
OK so- find him.her.it and flame him.her.it to death.

JurseyRider734
09-9-2004, 08:41 PM
I know that if someone took JurseyRider734 on another site i'd be pissed.

Chrissi
09-10-2004, 05:50 AM
Flame? No.. I just want to talk to him and ask him why he took the name. Perhaps he's actually a reasonable person :\

I just can't manage to find a way to contact them. I found they have an account on ebay... but I can't manage to sign up with ebay without a credit card :\ And they don't let you use the contact thing unless you're signed up. Pooey. :(

JurseyRider734
09-10-2004, 07:27 AM
HAIHAIZ FROM SCHOOL ^__^__^_^__^_^_^

Chrissi
09-11-2004, 08:42 PM
Oh... my... god.

I just contacted them.

You know what I never actually realized? REDIAHS BACKWARDS IS SHAIDER, which is a much more likely name to take. That's how the guy got his name, he reversed Shaider which made Rediahs.

Ugh. My name feels so... tainted. But I guess I can't blame him. I'm so glad I understand now.