PDA

View Full Version : Now that you've updated the site..

DJ_Lain
07-17-2004, 06:43 PM
Remove the (hopskortl)ing clock. it causes system lag every second and makes playing FFR impossible. I do feel this is an unneeded feature of the site as not many will notice it being there.

lightdarkness
07-17-2004, 08:03 PM
Could you please post the specs of your computer? As this is only happening on 3 or 4 computers that I know of.

DJ_Lain
07-18-2004, 08:19 PM
i've tested this extensively on 3 browsers on a G3 350, a p2 400 using firefox and IE, and another machine ( stats unknown, but higher than 800mhz). all have some degree of lag every time the clock updates.

Pooping_Panda
07-19-2004, 06:35 PM
ya i get that also....i cant play anymore with it :(

Anticrombie0909
07-19-2004, 10:28 PM
1. FFR can be screwy on macs
2. A P2 400 is gonna be laggy anyway, that comp is a piece
3. 800 mhz isn't fast at all, that can have lag as well

Time to upgrade!

DJ_Lain
07-20-2004, 04:20 AM
FFR ran quite nicely on this mac. Granted, it can't handle the super high levels of FFR, none of which i've been able to complete no matter what i play it on. Hoever this clock causes hell, and i do have the tourneys to deal with. upgrading is WAY out of my scope, due to more pressing matters that everyone deals with. In all aspects, it's just one more thing i have to deal with, and feel that the site could do without the clock.

soccr743
07-20-2004, 08:56 AM
I guess since so many people have problems with it that an option for turning it off would be good...

-----Soccr743-----

virus-maker
07-20-2004, 11:00 AM
I dont have that big a problem with the clock, since my computer runs at 2 Ghz, but i dont think it needs to be updated every second.

ad0gg
07-20-2004, 11:23 AM
mine works fine at 1.4GHz

Dronak
07-20-2004, 01:31 PM
My computer is 800MHz and I haven't noticed pausing every single second when the clock updates. If something is happening, it's apparently small enough that I don't really notice is because it's not enough to really throw me off. It could be affecting things a bit though, because lately I do seem to be missing more arrows that I thought I hit.

If enough people are having trouble with the clock, maybe the user can be allowed to turn it off like soccr743 or it can update less often like virus-maker said. Probably every minute or even every few minutes (2? 5?) would be sufficient. I doubt people need a clock on FFR to be accurate to 1 second.

raven_winterchill
07-20-2004, 08:39 PM
I too would like to see the clock removed. If I want to know what time it is, I can look at the clock on MY computer, not something that causes my comp to lag every second. It's unnessecary and redundant, and more seems like just "showing off" with the new layout.

zajac
07-20-2004, 08:45 PM
Am I the only one that doesn't know what clock you are talking about?

That and yeah.... Those computers are sh`t..... lol

That and you have to include the variable of the quality of FFR you are playing at..... With high quality, it will run slower, while low quality should run perfectly smooth.....

CalibreneGuru
07-20-2004, 08:48 PM
Zajac, you win most observant user award.

Dronak
07-20-2004, 08:55 PM
Look in that orange bar at the top of the screen. Near the right side, after all the menu options for the game, forum, chat, simfiles, etc. There's a clock. It updates every second and is causing some people additional lag when they play the game.

I'm sorry we have such crappy computers. Some of us can't afford to buy a brand new one every 6 months or so when it becomes out of date and surpassed by newer technology. If *you* have a few thousand dollars that you can spend on new computers regularly, I envy you. Me, I have to use most of my money for more important things like rent, food, and utility bills.

zajac
07-20-2004, 09:04 PM
teeheehee..... i've finally won something.... YAY! I see the clock now.... And by the way.... Computers don' cost several thousand dollars you silly.... Maybe 5 years ago they did, but now you can get a pretty good computer from dell for only a mere $400 or less.....

But yeah..... I don't find a point in the clock.... In fact, it doesn't even have to refresh on it's own.... What kind of person just stares at the clock to watch it update? Mopst people on FFR, especially in forums, are just clicking around and always on the move, so what if the clock just refreshed with every page refresh.... That way it only refreshes if you click on anoter link, so if you play FFR, it won't update at all......

zajac
07-20-2004, 09:05 PM
teeheehee..... i've finally won something.... YAY! I see the clock now.... And by the way.... Computers don' cost several thousand dollars you silly.... Maybe 5 years ago they did, but now you can get a pretty good computer from dell for only a mere $400 or less.....

But yeah..... I don't find a point in the clock.... In fact, it doesn't even have to refresh on it's own.... What kind of person just stares at the clock to watch it update? Mopst people on FFR, especially in forums, are just clicking around and always on the move, so what if the clock just refreshed with every page refresh.... That way it only refreshes if you click on anoter link, so if you play FFR, it won't update at all......

Dronak
07-20-2004, 10:46 PM
Computers don' cost several thousand dollars you silly.... Maybe 5 years ago they did, but now you can get a pretty good computer from dell for only a mere $400 or less.....

Obviously it depends on what you buy. If you buy a low end desktop, then yes, those are easily obtainable for under $1000. If you buy a high end laptop like I did (and it was a Dell, BTW) it's not that difficult to get the cost up around $3000. I prefer laptops, they will be convenient when/if I need to travel and give presentations for work, and I don't buy low end models because I want to be able to do work on it and that can be computationally intensive stuff. So yes, it does cost me a few thousand dollars for a new computer.

tina_goes_doo
07-22-2004, 07:48 AM
Oh god how observant are you people? It was only after reading this thread that i noticed the clock. Kudos to you zajac! I guess this also stressed how redundant the clock really is. It's not that important to update it so regularly so why bother?

Chrissi
07-22-2004, 09:00 AM
The clock was the first thing I noticed. How could you not notice? It's there ticking away at the top of the screen. I always notice moving things first.

I agree with zajac... the clock should just update with refresh. I mean, that clock updating every second must be using some sort of javascript or something.

You just need a little server-side scripting such as PHP to make the time reload with each page. Plus the browser doesn't see any difference between it and any other text on the page, so it does not increase loading time or lag anything at all (unless of course the server starts lagging, but that's different). This sort of thing is the utmost of simplicity with PHP.

ad0gg
07-22-2004, 09:11 AM
The clock was the first thing I noticed when the page was updated. Other than the new design, of course. I think updating the clock once a minute is enough, or even just update with refresh is fine. The only thing I would use a clock for on FFR is to check how long ago I last visited the forums. And thats not even part of the clock we're talking about.