PDA

View Full Version : Qualia Twisting

ScylaX
08-29-2011, 07:51 PM
ZZmjAL0z0O0
2much depression chromatique
Probably one of the last song I'll do in that style because I really need to do things that are expressed in another style. Like more amen distortion and less gabber, and new sounds too because these ones are getting old.

jakeyjake7
08-30-2011, 02:57 PM
Just two suggestions: Have you tried synthesizing/processing your own kicks? I've found that it's a good practice and really lets you know what exactly certain effects do at certain settings.

Another practice (Which I DO NOT see enough of in the breakcore posted here) is DRUM LAYERING! And when I say that, I don't just mean slap two drums that sound good on top of each other together. Sure, the drum sounds should sound good together, but one of the main purposes of layering is to help fill out weak frequencies that SHOULD be there on whatever drum hit you're layering. For example, if you have a snare with a really good snap sound, but it lacks the typical mids that snares have, you should find another snare that excels in those frequencies that sounds good with the other sample. It's a practice that makes so much difference you have no idea.

As for the song;

I can't really judge too well, as I'm on a mono laptop speaker, but from what I can tell it almost sounds like you're compressing all your drums under your synths and guitar, and it just sounds generally bad. Try to level everything off so it all sits nicely under 0db.

Your melody in this song is fantastic. It truly is, and the guitar is a perfect instrument choice for the melody it plays. Has a very "video-game-boss-fight-cover' kind of sound, which is great.

I may take a listen later on good speakers just to see how correct I am in my judgement.

ScylaX
08-30-2011, 03:21 PM
Oh I see what you mean when you're talking about how to pick the good drums, I actually never tried to make my song sounds good on the point of mastering basically because of laziness haha I tried to look up for some tutorials on internet one day but it looked so technical it quickly discouraged me, I'll try your advices out for my next songs and think about re-mastering every of my musics for when I'll put the whole "album" online. Thank you very much.