PDA

View Full Version : Change.

iironiic
05-5-2011, 08:07 AM
Every day as humans, we all change personalities and the world around us is constantly changing. How do you interpret this change? Is it necessarily a good or a bad thing? Is change for the better or the worse? Discuss.

ScylaX
05-5-2011, 08:59 AM
What are you talking about exactly ? Living IS basically founded on change. It doesn't have to be good or bad, the randomness of your life will always lead you to cases whose the "welfare" and any other value that is antinomic to this one are just a changing factor according to your own thinking type and tastes. Didn't you want to ask a question like : "What is the worth of a life without any change vis-a-vis a life with perpetual change ?"

I just don't get what you're trying to say there.

~kitty~
05-5-2011, 10:34 AM
Isn't this subjective?

iironiic
05-5-2011, 10:40 AM
What are you talking about exactly ? Living IS basically founded on change. It doesn't have to be good or bad, the randomness of your life will always lead you to cases whose the "welfare" and any other value that is antinomic to this one are just a changing factor according to your own thinking type and tastes. Didn't you want to ask a question like : "What is the worth of a life without any change vis-a-vis a life with perpetual change ?"

I just don't get what you're trying to say there.

All I was asking is your interpretation on change, which you seem to briefly mention. Personally, I agree with you that regardless whether change is "good" or "bad", it is a fundamental part of life.

Isn't this subjective?

It is, which is why I think "change" is discussion-worthy. How do you view change?

Squirtle x3
05-5-2011, 10:48 AM
o.o

Well how do you know if change is good or bad?

~kitty~
05-5-2011, 11:04 AM
It is, which is why I think "change" is discussion-worthy. How do you view change?

I was referring to the statement claiming that we change in personalities at all, because there are some theories that say we don't really change them, but add on to them and there's a reaction in that same personality to the added situation or something like that. This is strongly a psychological debate, though. I personally think that we do not change as often as we think we do, and I take some of the points that say we don't change at all, but at the same time I think that people do change over time, but not like suddenly or often. I also think that events that "change" people are only triggers to this slowly changing person, but they are relatively the same. I don't know if I made any sense though.

ScylaX
05-5-2011, 11:28 AM
All I was asking is your interpretation on change, which you seem to briefly mention. Personally, I agree with you that regardless whether change is "good" or "bad", it is a fundamental part of life.
Aaah, makes sense then, I think I said all I had to say since you didn't asked for further details on a specific part of it. Also if you want to know how the human being changes his personality according to its interlocutor/social environment/circle I'd recommend you to read Jung's advice on what he calls "Persona".

Well how do you know if change is good or bad?
You don't have to know, except if you have a certain way to see the future. You just feel it when it comes to your personal circle. If you're talking about changes that are external to your individual grasp like the one you get to know by reading a newspaper then it's a different matter because it doesn't involve a personal part of you in it and it can get into details you don't necessarily know.

Of course, I'm talking about the informations or part of informations from which what you receive doesn't concern you to a point you get to have - true - feelings about this. To get to know if something that only involves your reason is good or bad only concern your reason since it has no way to be understood without logic.

kommisar
05-5-2011, 05:36 PM
Without change there is no progress, though many will debate this change as some are creatures of habit.

The consequences of change, much like everything in life, will always be subjective to each person's thoughts and views on life.

aperson
05-5-2011, 05:37 PM
Change is dukkha

Edit: Change is dy/dx

midnghtraver
05-5-2011, 11:10 PM
Isn't change relative to time?

And time is not something we can yet control.

Therefor, change is gonna happen no matter what.

So we just gotta deal with it no matter if we like it or not?

Okay shut up. We COULD control change reletive to time, but is that even possible with so many people? Especially how people think in this day and age.

Thatskier
05-5-2011, 11:12 PM
Change is dukkha

Edit: Change is dy/dx

Change doesnt come at a rate lol delta fail.

You didnt put any bounds on the situtation therefor making this question too open minded. The solutions could be infinite.

-Draws box around question-

Ok now there is a finite solution. Everyone will interpret change differently based on the scenario.

/end

midnghtraver
05-5-2011, 11:16 PM
/end

stop doing that on every one of your posts.

Lets start with this:

to make the form, nature, content, future course, etc., of (something) different from what it is or from what it would be if left alone: to change one's name; to change one's opinion; to change the course of history. (http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/change)

I think the question is. Is going from something to a difference in the same something bad or good, in general, or on average.

Phynx
05-6-2011, 12:29 AM
Change is merely an unspoken law of nature. It is a force that supersedes every other law. Prove me wrong. I dare you.

It's not something humans perceive persay. It's more a guideline that everything in the universe is forced to abide by. No change is good. No change is bad. No change is given beyond free will. Change is a force that drives entropy and simplicity. It's something that will always happen, when it happens.

But then again, this all coming from a person who believes fate is an entity that governs every action therefore by extension governs all change so I'm biased.

ledwix
05-9-2011, 09:42 AM
Change isn't good or bad. It just happens, like everything else. You can say it's good or bad, but it's an arbitrary choice. Personally, I have a very addictive personality, so I don't like change that much at all, especially when I get comfortable with a routine. But that is just a product of my genetics and environmental tuning. It doesn't really matter in the end. That's just me. The average person seems to like variety/change much more.

And yeah, our personalities are always changing....you are not the person you were 7 years ago. In fact, you don't really exist at all in the metaphysical sense. Identity is a convenient way for matter to perceive itself so as to create concepts of function and purpose to oneself. You think, therefore you are, but you aren't what you think you are, because we perceive as is convenient for survival, not necessarily what is real.