PDA

View Full Version : Studying Abroad; Is it worth the college experience?

iironiic
12-13-2010, 01:47 PM
I was contemplating on studying abroad not next year, but the fall semester of my senior year. Although it's not set and stone at the moment, I am thinking about participating in the Budapest Semesters to learn upper level mathematics that my school does not offer. I think this will help me especially when it boils down to graduate studies in mathematics. It will also, and hopefully, give me some opportunities to experience a unique culture, form relationships overseas for future mathematical research, and open my mind to higher level mathematics, something many schools in the US don't have to offer.

Some cons about this include the fact that I won't spend a Thanksgiving with my family, which is something I will regret if I decide to take this opportunity. I never flew an airplane and I never traveled outside of the US before so I'm a little nervous thinking about being alone in Hungary with no one to rely on (except if some mathematical FFRiends want to join me lol). There are other cons, but I really didn't give a serious thought about this opportunity.

What are your thoughts about studying abroad? Is it worth the college experience? Feel free to discuss.

eurostud4
12-13-2010, 01:55 PM
I would say studying abroad is definitely worth it.

True, it is a downside being in a completely new place, but what's the fun in being in the same country your entire life? You'll get the chance to learn about a great culture, and since you're already in Europe, the rest of the continent will also be highly accessible.

And if you're worried about getting lost, I wouldn't be too scared. The vast majority of the world speaks English these days, so there will be plenty of people that will be able to help you out. And if this program is like most, the classes you take will for sure be in English, where you'll have a handful of people right off the bat that will be in the same boat as you are.

America is known for being ignorant and closed-minded when it comes to cultural knowledge, so you would also be doing that demographic a favor by learning more about other countries.

Also, Europe is an awesome place :D

Reincarnate
12-13-2010, 02:10 PM
worth it

cry4eternity
12-13-2010, 02:36 PM
I was also considering studying abroad.

I'm taking mandarin chinese classes and since there are a bunch of scholarships available for study abroad programs, it sounds like it would be affordable as well. But everything I looked into seemed to only have Chinese language, culture and geography classes instead of the ones I need for my major. It's almost like I would be setting myself back a year/semester.

smartdude1212
12-13-2010, 03:04 PM
Do it now before you're drowning in bills and children and regrets.

EnR
12-13-2010, 03:05 PM

haha, drowning in children, jesus christ, how many kids do you think the dude is going to have D=

Reincarnate
12-13-2010, 03:09 PM

this

do it now because as you get older, those opportunities are much harder to come by

iironiic
12-13-2010, 04:34 PM
America is known for being ignorant and closed-minded when it comes to cultural knowledge, so you would also be doing that demographic a favor by learning more about other countries.

Also, Europe is an awesome place :D

This is so true. I find it extremely fascinating to experience what it's like to live in a European country. There were many great reviews on the program I'm specifically looking at, along with good reasons posted here, so I'm highly considering it!

I was also considering studying abroad.

I'm taking mandarin chinese classes and since there are a bunch of scholarships available for study abroad programs, it sounds like it would be affordable as well. But everything I looked into seemed to only have Chinese language, culture and geography classes instead of the ones I need for my major. It's almost like I would be setting myself back a year/semester.

Yeah. Luckily I am extremely ahead of my math major, so I have the time to consider options like study abroad, etc.

this

do it now because as you get older, those opportunities are much harder to come by

Very true.

Great points here and thank you for your advice. :)

Rubin0
12-13-2010, 04:45 PM
I would say totally worth it. I never took advantage of the opportunity because I was working almost full time throughout college and my significant other probably wouldn't have appreciated me going to a different country for a few months. Go before you get yourself tied down to other responsibilities and before it becomes impossible. Everyone I know who did it absolutely loved it.

Fogfactor
12-13-2010, 04:55 PM
Yes, unless your going to some idiotic 3rd world country where people die from a cold because the locals try to cure them with river muck

5.points
12-13-2010, 05:07 PM
If you have the opportunity, defiantly take it while you can. The people I've talked to that have studied abroad say it's a great and unique experience, and it helps to open your mind to a foreign culture.

leonid
12-13-2010, 05:20 PM
I'm doing it now :]

iironiic
12-13-2010, 05:23 PM
Thank you for all of your advice. I am highly considering it now! :)

:O Where?!

Reincarnate
12-13-2010, 06:07 PM
lol

kommisar
12-13-2010, 06:10 PM
worth it for various reasons. it enables you to experience living in a country where perhaps cultures and traditions are entirely different. gives you a feel of what the world has to offer, rather than your basement. It's even better if you can learn a new language (guess how i learned german!)

there are plenty of good programs to study overseas or anywhere foreign for that matter. any opportunity you get, do it. don't matter where, just go out and see the world before you're bombarded with responsibility.

iironiic
12-13-2010, 06:24 PM

Omg I'm stupid. Enough said.

HoneyMelonCalibrator
12-13-2010, 06:33 PM
I'm planning on studying abroad in London next year. Our school requires that we either intern or study abroad as a graduation requirement. It was a pretty easy decision, although I personally am choosing to both intern and study abroad. I say you go for it.

Artic_counter
12-13-2010, 06:36 PM
It's even better if you can learn a new language (guess how i learned german!)
Neo-Nazi training camps ?

Seriously though, it might pretty much be worth it. I'm considering this too but haven't made my mind about it. Thing is, you might want to look out for a good university to resume your studying since not every schools are great schools for learning maths. Otherwise, it depends what level you want to reach in maths and I must say, that studying abroad might very well be one of your most exciting experience you'll ever have. Good luck finding your answer !