PDA

View Full Version : Getting a new computer. Need advice.

Pages : [1] 2

MrRubix
07-2-2009, 01:12 PM
I haven't bought a new computer in so long, so I have no idea what's good anymore. No more than a few grand in terms of price, though. I'd want a PC.

I just want something that is going to be beastly fast, hardcore, and will play video games like a dream.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

fido123
07-2-2009, 01:18 PM
Are you comfortable assembling the parts yourself?

MrGiggles
07-2-2009, 01:20 PM
No more than a few grand
Never ever ever ever ever ever pay more than 1.5k for a self-assembled computer.

Also, you should always self-assemble (I mean, unless you want a Mac, but then gaming would be trickier) because it's way cheaper and computers go together like legos, and there's only 5-6 lego pieces.

Bluearrowll
07-2-2009, 01:21 PM
If you're going to buy a PC, from my personal experience HP makes the best, the last one I had was a Dell and it lasted an amazing 9 years but it got slow after about 6 months. I have an HP now (Slimline) and it's worked just fine so far. I've had it for alittle under a year.

MrRubix
07-2-2009, 01:23 PM
Are you comfortable assembling the parts yourself?

I am fine with buying individual components, sure -- I am embarrassed to admit that I've never put together my own computer together before, but I figure it can't be too hard. If I can still get a monster computer by just buying a premade one, I might prefer that instead.

This is all going to be a gift from my mother to me for graduation. She wants to get me a new computer because my current one is falling apart hardcore.

MrGiggles
07-2-2009, 01:30 PM
I am fine with buying individual components, sure -- I am embarrassed to admit that I've never put together my own computer together before, but I figure it can't be too hard. If I can still get a monster computer by just buying a premade one, I might prefer that instead.

This is all going to be a gift from my mother to me for graduation. She wants to get me a new computer because my current one is falling apart hardcore.
You CAN buy a powerful premade, but you'll bleed money out the asshole for it.

Building your own computer is really easy. I can't even stress that enough. It took me the better part of 6 hours to get mine running the first time I built one, and that was using the insanely vague P-182 manual.

MrRubix
07-2-2009, 02:05 PM
What components are good for a hardcore comp nowadays?

Artic_counter
07-2-2009, 02:43 PM
I remember my friend (who's an hardcore gamer) bought an AlienWare PC which is just amazing by what he told me but I never owned one so you might want to ask the others about that one before buying it. You might know this already but get yourself plenty of RAM so it reduce the lag and make your computer run smoothly (I have 3G of RAM and it's amazingly smooth (even though I wanted 4G xD)).

If you want to run software on high quality like crisis or things like that I think what you need is a godly Video Card

So that's where my computer knowledge stop :D I don't know a things about components.

MrRubix
07-2-2009, 02:48 PM
Yeah I basically want to be able to run something like Crysis on its uber high settings without breaking a sweat

Prime8
07-2-2009, 03:04 PM
My friend just purchased a beastly Alienware with a 2.86 GhZ Quad Core, 4 GB Ram, nVidia GTX 295 Graphics Card for less than $2500. Granted, he probably could have done it for around $2000 if he bought it premade from like TigerDirect or some other place, or maybe even cheaper than that if he built it himself (neither I or him have any knowledge with this, so he decided to just buy one).

It may be a somewhat large sum of cash to dish out, but so far, this computer delivers. It can easily run Crysis on maximum settings, even with a bunch of other crap running in the background.

MrRubix
07-2-2009, 03:14 PM
Is all that stuff top of the line?

What's the best video card out there? The best processors? The most memory? Are we still in quad cores? lmao.

I'm a hardware noob.

chidori!
07-2-2009, 03:17 PM
Do Not get a laptop and an Intel graphics card. Unless you want your computer to crash if it blinks five times.

Wineandbread
07-2-2009, 03:18 PM
I hear Alienware is rather overpriced. They sure do look nice though. ;)

Imo it's not worth buying a super high-end computer... you could probably settle for something like this: http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=pWf0R65ULXAmxe0igfXE0Xg&gid=45 (+ peripherals he got as a gift earlier and like a Acer 23" widescreen)
It's a build one of my friends followed. I've seen him play some intensive games on some high settings, and it runs pretty smoothly.

Wish I had the money to upgrade my computer. =/

[Edit] I think this chart is still pretty accurate for GPU tiers: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/best-graphics-card,2118-7.html

Prime8
07-2-2009, 03:35 PM
Is all that stuff top of the line?

What's the best video card out there? The best processors? The most memory? Are we still in quad cores? lmao.

I'm a hardware noob.

Quad core is the "in" thing for processors right now. We haven't necessarily made software that would actually warrant the use of all 4 cores yet, but it certainly secures you for the future when we may have more advanced software. "Quad core" is Intel's thing, and I don't know too much about AMD. They seem to flip flop back in forth about who has the better processor. I think AMD has some Phenom thing that is similar to Intel's Quad Core. Now that I think of it, my friend does have an AMD Phenom processor.

The nVidia GTX 295 is (I believe) the best mainstream graphics card you can purchase from nVidia. You can look at ATI Radeon, but I am not so familiar with them. I'm sure they have something near the level of the 295 though. One thing you'll want to look into is having graphics cards running in SLI (or Crossfire if they are ATI cards). Simply put, you can have multiple graphics cards running simultaneously. I would recommend getting two graphics cards that are slightly worse than the 295 that are SLI Enabled and run them together. The only thing is, obviously, you're purchasing two graphics cards as opposed to one, so price does become an issue, especially since the performance edge may not warrant the extra couple hundred bucks. For a safe bet, I would stick with what my friend did and get a single GTX 295. It's a pretty expensive card, but I can tell you from experience that it is DEFINITELY worth it. If you have more cash to dispense, look into SLI/Crossfire stuff to see which cards running in either outperform the 295. Just a FYI, you have to have the exact same cards to run them simultaneously.

4 GB of Ram is decent, but 6 GB is preferred. If you can actually afford it, go to 8. I don't think you'll really need anything above that. I don't have any experience with anything above 8, so I can't tell you if it's uber amazing, or if it's just a burnt hole in your wallet.

I don't know too terribly much about all this stuff, so don't take my word as holy. I had to try to learn up on this mumbo jumbo because my friend wanted my help getting a badass PC a few weeks ago, and he thought I already knew this stuff lol.

MrRubix
07-2-2009, 04:10 PM
Yeah I was looking at getting nVidia -- I've used ATI for a few years now and it hasn't really been up to snuff.

Solid Dreams
07-2-2009, 07:09 PM
i7 is the in thing now. That's the latest greatest from intel, and they're "relatively" cheap.

You'll want ram in multiples of 3 if you get an i7, the i7 works best with 3 DIMMs (not 4, etc.) which is sorta odd.

For something that powerful you'll probably want to at least get a raid 0 configuration with 2 hard drives, or you'll end up bottlenecking.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130504

That's a super nice video card.

Gotta make sure you get a mobo that works with it.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883229111

Could go with that, I guess. you said "couple of grand" and all.

MrGiggles
07-2-2009, 11:16 PM
i7 is the in thing now. That's the latest greatest from intel, and they're "relatively" cheap.

You'll want ram in multiples of 3 if you get an i7, the i7 works best with 3 DIMMs (not 4, etc.) which is sorta odd.

For something that powerful you'll probably want to at least get a raid 0 configuration with 2 hard drives, or you'll end up bottlenecking.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130504

That's a super nice video card.

Gotta make sure you get a mobo that works with it.

Could go with that, I guess. you said "couple of grand" and all.That video card is top of the top of the line. That'll run you a lot, and will likely play Crysis on ultimate no problem. I think a 285 will run Crysis on ultimate settings as well.

It's cheaper to buy a mid-high range computer and update components every other year or so than it is to buy some sort of god machine and update it every 4 or even 6 years.

Most mid to high end computers will play Crysis on medium/high, depending on what you buy. In two years, mid-high range computers will likely play it on very high or even ultimate if you don't mind a framerate less than 40 or so.

So yeah, a ridiculously powerful computer will probably have 2-3 cards in SLI, I think you can do it with 295's but you'll need a PSU big enough to keep up, an upper-end i7 (I hear they overclock pretty well too), a mobo upwards of $250-300, some sort of RAID setup, a 1000 (or more) watt PSU (Corsair makes good PSU's), and as much RAM as you can possibly fit in there. RAM is really really cheap lately, and so are non-SSD hard drives.

Dunno what the AMD/ATI equivalents are to that Intel/Nvidia setup, but they're likely a bit cheaper. Don't ask which is better or the thread will get derailed faster than you can blink.

EDIT: Oh, you'll also need a very cool case. Everyone loves Antecs, go with one of those.

ninjaKIWI
07-2-2009, 11:26 PM
I recommend for a processor, the Intel i7 940 Quad Core, or a 965 if you're willing to pay for it, for a video card I like the GeForce GTX 280, motherboards I don't have a readied opinion on them so you're on your own there.

Actually since you said a couple grand, the NVIDIA Tesla C1060 would be a nice video card :twisted: It's not exactly meant for gaming though, and wouldn't make much sense if you don't have a nice monitor.

By the way you'll need a nice power supply :twisted:

Shadowcliff
07-2-2009, 11:53 PM
Haha, recently I've been badgering my dad to get a new computer, or at least update this one. We've got a nVidia GeForce 5400, which adequately runs most games. Our problem is RAM. And it's a BIG problem. This computer doesn't have many games on it, but that's kind of because we only have 512 MB of RAM. Yeah, laugh, it sucks.

My dad has actually told me that he'll help me build my own computer. At first it sounded like a lot, but thinking about it, it's just hard drive(s), CD drive(s), USB, RAM, processor, graphics card, motherboard, done. (Okay, I know almost nothing about hardware, but those are the essentials. I'm more of a software person.)
Buying components and piecing them together would probably give you a satisfying sense of "hey, I did that", plus it'll be a lot cheaper. Just do some research on the components (find out what combination of components gives you the performance you want), the assembly, and finally the price.

Oh, and talk to someone else about what the components actually are. I'm pretty sure I screwed that up.

Nightfirecat
07-3-2009, 12:17 AM
I'd say you should definitely get an i7 intel processor - it's the best out there atm...

As for video card, either works, but generally Intel goes with Nvidia, where AMD goes with ATI.

Ram - get triple channel, probably DDR3 also, if you can.
Hard drive... Doesn't really matter, but maybe get 2 so you can use RAID0 config for fast saving/loading.

Motherboard.... Get something expensive. Generally, that assures good quality.

And for a case, just get something with LOTS of cooling - that helps make sure that you won't have to worry about it.

MrRubix
07-3-2009, 09:42 AM
This topic also makes me feel really stupid at the same time, haha. I am very much a software person and have never tinkered around with hardware.

Is this effectively a top of the line PC? Is there anything in this that could be a lot better?

MrRubix
07-3-2009, 09:44 AM
How long can I expect a computer like that to last me before I need to upgrade?

danny53x
07-3-2009, 11:05 AM
Oh god, that CyberPower computer looks crazy. If I had money I would just buy that... besides building my own computer feels like cooking my own food. Although I can customize it, I can't always rely on it. I'd be scared of ventilation issues and compatibility conflicts.

MrRubix
07-3-2009, 11:36 AM
That is what I worry about too -- buying the wrong parts together and having some kind of heating issues.

I am going to try for this Cyberpower computer -- but if anyone can bring up anything that could be better about it, or if this computer has any huge issues, please let me know. I need to see if this is too expensive with my mother, haha. She said "a few grand at most" and I figure this is less than a few grand :P Tis a couple!

Kagami_Hiiragi
07-3-2009, 11:58 AM
Get one with a light up keyboard.

MrGiggles
07-3-2009, 12:40 PM
How long can I expect a computer like that to last me before I need to upgrade?
I'd guess you have about 7 years before that would be considered a low-range computer. At that point you'll have to run games on lower quality settings.

MrRubix
07-3-2009, 12:52 PM
Damn it D:

But I mean it's technically the best I can get right now, yes? Is there any crucial piece of hardware that completely blows this one out of the water? (graphics, processor, mobo, etc)

ninjaKIWI
07-3-2009, 12:59 PM
Damn it D:

But I mean it's technically the best I can get right now, yes? Is there any crucial piece of hardware that completely blows this one out of the water? (graphics, processor, mobo, etc)

Yeah that's a really nice comptar you have there, it'll last you quite a while.

EDIT: It's pretty much what I'm going to be getting, except with an i7 940 instead of 950 probably, and with a soundcard.
EDIT2: If I were you I'd go one step further and get another NVIDIA GeForce GTX 295 and SLI it :twisted: It prolly has the power.

MrRubix
07-3-2009, 01:04 PM
Yeah that's a really nice comptar you have there, it'll last you quite a while.

EDIT: It's pretty much what I'm going to be getting, except with an i7 940 instead of 950 probably, and with a soundcard.
EDIT2: If I were you I'd go one step further and get another NVIDIA GeForce GTX 295 and SLI it :twisted: It prolly has the power.

Would that just be majorly overkill, though?

ninjaKIWI
07-3-2009, 01:05 PM
It'd ensure that you'd last longer gaming wise, and in case something happens with cooling it would help because it would half the stress on each video card, but that's just some of my paranoia I get when dealing with hardware though. It's really not necessary.

EDIT: I would also recommend the Razer Lachesis mouse and the OLD Logitiech G15 keyboard, depending on the gaming you will be doing. The ability to create macros on the keyboard is more useful than you would assume.

MrGiggles
07-3-2009, 01:11 PM
Damn it D:

None that are suitable for gaming, as far as I know.

But still, I strongly suggest you purchase a weaker computer and upgrade a few parts every other year or so. In the long run, you'll save a lot of money. Even if it isn't your money, it would put less strain on your mom's wallet.

That is what I worry about too -- buying the wrong parts together and having some kind of heating issues. This is hard to **** up. Most components only require the slightest amount of compatibility checking . Mobos and cases are easy to match together since most consumer cases and mobos have the ATX form factor, and mobos and processors aren't much harder, since they generally advertise what processors they're compatible with very clearly. Video cards and mobos is also easy, since some cards (not a lot I think) use AGP, but almost all cards use PCI-e now. You just have to make sure your mobo has enough PCI-e slots for the amount of cards you want.

Hard drives are compatible with everything really, so are sticks of RAM and disc drives.

That leaves the PSU, which is actually a bit tedious. You have to make sure there are enough connectors of each type required to run the mobo, graphics card, hard drives, fans, and disc drives. Modular PSU's let you remove and add cables as you need them, while normal PSU's require you to store extras in the case somewhere and you have to make sure you have more than enough.

Heating issues, on the other hand....

ninjaKIWI
07-3-2009, 01:26 PM
I would also probably suggest buying something weaker and gradually upgrading it, you could probably save nearly $1000, at nearly no cost performance-wise, since nothing really requires something as powerful as the GeForce GTX 295. Maybe instead get two BFG GeForce 9800 GT's, and an i7 920 Processor, like I said earlier mobo's I don't have much of an opinion on.

But like above, you have to pay special attention to a PSU, since you have to make sure it provides enough power to support everything AND that it has the right connectors, there's no such thing as too many of each connector.

I remember when I had some big troubles with heating, I had to 'carefully cut' my case and put another fan in. Hasn't ever been cooler :twisted:

EDIT: Oh, I forgot to mention. The GPU you require depends heavily on your monitor, because the higher the resolution, the more stress it'll put on the card.
Hmm, maybe a nicer processor than the 920 would be good... I second-guess myself a lot.

MrGiggles
07-3-2009, 01:34 PM
Would that just be majorly overkill, though?
Just one 295 is overkill rofl.

I've got a single 260 and I have absolutely no problems running Fallout 3 on Ultra High settings. I don't have Crysis so I can't speak for that game.

I remember when I had some big troubles with heating, I had to 'carefully cut' my case and put another fan in. Hasn't ever been cooler :twisted: Purchasing cases is a huge pain for first time builders especially because you have no idea what to look for. I purchased a CoolerMaster Centurion 5 or something like that and ended up out $50 because it was too small to fit my processor heatsink. I ended up buying an antec P182 after having like 30 people recommend it to me in /g/ and it just BARELY fit everything inside. It's also a very quiet case and reasonably cool.

The GPU you require depends heavily on your monitor, because the higher the resolution, the more stress it'll put on the card.oh **** good point I totally forgot about this.

In general, high end cards are useless if your monitor is smaller than about 22-23 inches. Smaller monitors have a lower maximum resolution, and a 295 will likely never reach full load on anything less than 28.

ninjaKIWI
07-3-2009, 01:38 PM
I was going to buy a Centurion 5, but then my friend recommended the Cooler Master HAF 932 to me and I bought that instead, to this day I have no idea how everything fits in that case.

MrRubix
07-3-2009, 02:26 PM
Well my mom gave the Cyberpower PC the thumbs up, and she's going to order it sometime very soon, so I am hoping I made a decent decision.

She said not to worry about the money issues -- she was assuming it was going to cost a lot more than that haha.

Thing is I am not yet hardware-savvy enough yet to start buying more pieces here and then over the years, and I will probably have to change this sometime soon, but I just want something that's going to last me a long time.

ninjaKIWI
07-3-2009, 02:46 PM
That Cyberpower PC will probably be one of the best pre-made computers you could buy at the time, it'll last you quite a while. It also comes with a free upg to W7 so *Thumbs up

Hope it works out well for you.

MrRubix
07-3-2009, 02:51 PM
Thanks for all the advice, guys

"Maybe instead get two BFG GeForce 9800 GT's, and an i7 920 Processor, like I said earlier mobo's I don't have much of an opinion on."

Is this purely for cost effiency? Like this will run stuff just fine for now, and I can upgrade to something better later which will last me until time T for cumulative cost C, versus the notion that I could buy one card now that'll last me until T for some cost>C?

MrGiggles
07-3-2009, 03:53 PM
Thanks for all the advice, guys

"Maybe instead get two BFG GeForce 9800 GT's, and an i7 920 Processor, like I said earlier mobo's I don't have much of an opinion on."

Is this purely for cost effiency? Like this will run stuff just fine for now, and I can upgrade to something better later which will last me until time T for cumulative cost C, versus the notion that I could buy one card now that'll last me until T for some cost>C?
It's probably about the same, to be honest.

PsYcHoZeRoSk8eR
07-3-2009, 04:17 PM
Well my mom gave the Cyberpower PC the thumbs up, and she's going to order it sometime very soon, so I am hoping I made a decent decision.

That's pretty cool. Way back when, I got my PC from Cyberpower and I couldn't be happier with it. Now, I'm pretty sure that you're not getting it directly from them, as I have only briefly checked the links and thread, but you're still getting their setup.

MrRubix
07-3-2009, 04:37 PM
Yeah, I am getting it from Newegg, but I presume it's more or less the same sort of build/setup.

I'm really excited :X

Solid Dreams
07-3-2009, 05:15 PM
Hey get her to buy me one too =D

I just got my first video card and it's a 9800 GT, but my mobo doesn't have a pci 2.0 slot.

Bluh, gonna have to buy a mobo and figure out how to get the blasted video card out now :P

MrRubix
07-4-2009, 10:35 AM
Solid Dreams: Haha, have you seen The Reactor computer?

Posting the specs for easy access, here. Would like additional thoughts/opinions!

http://c1.neweggimages.com/NeweggImage/ProductImageCompressAll200/83-229-111-02.jpg

General Spec
Brand CyberpowerPC
Model Gamer Xtreme 1010
Recommended Usage Gaming
Processor Intel Core i7 950(3.06GHz)
Processor Main Features 64 bit Quad-Core Processor
Memory 12GB (6x2GB) DDR3 Tri Channel Memory
Hard Drive 2TB (2 x 1TB) SATA-II 3.0Gb/s 7200RPM HDD
Optical Drive 1 BluRay Player Combo Drive
Graphics NVIDIA GeForce GTX 295 1792MB PCI Express Video Card
Audio Sound card - Integrated
Ethernet Gigabit LAN
Power Supply 800W
Keyboard Xtreme Gear USB Keyboard
Mouse Xtreme Gear USB Mouse
Operating System Windows Vista Home Premium 64-bit
Free upgrade to Microsoft Windows 7
Special Features NZXT Beta Gaming Case

Motherboard
Chipset Intel X58

CPU
CPU Type Intel Core i7
Installed Qty 1
CPU Speed 950(3.06GHz)
L2 Cache Per CPU 4 x 256KB
L3 Cache Per CPU 8MB
CPU Socket Type LGA 1366
CPU Main Features 64 bit Quad-Core Processor

Graphics
GPU/VPU Type NVIDIA GeForce GTX 295
Graphics Interface PCI Express x16

Memory
Memory Capacity 12GB DDR3
Memory Spec 2GB x 6

Hard Drive
HDD Capacity 2TB
HDD Interface SATA II
HDD RPM 7200rpm
HDD Spec 2 x 1TB

Optical Drive
Optical Drive Type BD Combo
Optical Drive Spec BluRay Player Combo Drive

Audio
Audio Chipset Integrated

Communications
LAN Chipset Integrated
LAN Speed 10/100/1000Mbps

Front Panel Ports
Front USB 2

Back Panel Ports
PS/2 2
Rear USB 6
RJ45 1 port
S/P DIF 1 x Optical S/PDIF Out
1 x Coaxial S/PDIF Out

Expansion
PCI Slots (Available/Total) 3 x PCI Express x16
1 x PCI Express x1
2 x PCI

Mouse
Mouse Type USB Mouse

Keyboard
Keyboard Type USB Keyboard

Manufacturer Warranty
Parts 1 year limited
Labor 1 year limited

MrGiggles
07-4-2009, 11:49 AM
Post your 3DMark score when you receive the computer. I'm curious.

MrRubix
07-4-2009, 11:58 AM
Will do.

Is there anything currently much better than the Intel Core i7 950(3.06GHz), or the Memory 12GB (6x2GB) DDR3 Tri Channel Memory, or the Hard Drive 2TB (2 x 1TB) SATA-II 3.0Gb/s 7200RPM HDD?

The processor seems solid but I am just curious. 12 GB RAM seems like quite a bit (my current laptop is 1 GB ram) and I don't know if something like 16 GB RAM is available or if that is even worth getting. The hard drives seem to have a TON of space, which is GREAT (my current laptop only came with like 120 GB of space... having +2000 GB sounds amazing). Not sure how good 7200 RPM is compared to what's out there.

Nightfirecat
07-4-2009, 12:13 PM
7200 RPM is the standard for desktops. You can get 10k RPM now, but they come in much smaller sizes. It's usually not worth it unless you need the faster read/write speed - most people don't.

As for the RAM, it is a lot of RAM, but it means that you can multitask like fuc... Yeah.
It's basically top-of-the-line parts only, so it's basically the best thing you'll find out there, besides SLI'ing, or getting a motherboard with 2 processor slots, or whatever.

Wineandbread
07-4-2009, 12:19 PM
Damn that's pretty nice. O_O
Are you gonna buy a monitor too?

Like Nightfirecat said, 7200 rpm is pretty much the standard. Faster write speeds allow some game elements to load faster, but I don't really know how much of a difference it makes. If you really wanted to be fancy, you could fish out some money for a SSD, but they're kinda way overpriced right now.

MrRubix
07-4-2009, 12:41 PM
What is SLI'ing?

And yes I am going to have to get a monitor to go with this. My friends have some random flatscreens lying around, as does my mother's fiance, but at some point I'd like a huge, nice flatscreen.

ninjaKIWI
07-4-2009, 01:01 PM
I'm not familiar with AMD processors really, but the only thing as far as I know that's much better than the Intel i7 950 is the 965.

SLI (Scan Link Interface) Is basically connecting two graphics cards together for better/faster gameplay and/or better images or rendering or whatever you need it for.

MrGiggles
07-4-2009, 01:53 PM
What is SLI'ing?
What Kiwi said. With ATI cards it's called Crossfire.

12 GB of RAM is pretty overkill, but you could probably increase it to 24 if you upgraded each 2GB stick to a 4GB stick.

I'm pretty sure the the AMD Phenom II's haven't really been able to compete in gaming rigs when compared with i7's. They are a bit cheaper than equivalent i7's and use far less power when idling, but they don't overclock as well as i7's. tom's Hardware boosted a 3GHz i7 to about 3.8GHz without changing the voltage at all. An equivalent Phenom II won't be reasonably stable until you drop the speed to about 3.64GHz.

Here's the results for their gaming tests.
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/overclock-phenom-ii,2119-8.html

So yeah, i7's are great for gaming and Phenom II's are great for, say, A/V editing.

MrRubix
07-4-2009, 02:02 PM
I just want to be able to run new games on absurdly high settings and not skip a beat
I figure there are no games right now that call for 12 GB RAM or this type of video card.

Solid Dreams
07-4-2009, 03:16 PM
Make sure you get at least a 24 inch monitor.

And actually, Crysis is still pretty stupidly high for requirements. I think yours will crush it without a sweat, but still.

If you wanted total overkill though, you'd want something like http://cgi.ebay.com/Core-i7-Extreme-Custom-Gaming-Computer-Quad-SLI-GTX-295_W0QQitemZ120411365037QQcmdZViewItemQQptZDeskto p_PCs?hash=item1c09139ead&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=65%3A3%7C66%3A2%7C39%3A1%7C293%3A1%7C294 %3A50

MrRubix
07-4-2009, 03:20 PM
Wow, that's pretty insane O.o;;;

What are the Crysis reqs for the best settings?

I'm googling but not really finding much. Mostly people asking if their specs will handle Crysis maxed out. I can't find, though a "you should have these settings if you want to completely rape Crysis and have enough left over to do whatever the hell else you want"

Solid Dreams
07-4-2009, 03:32 PM
#
# $1000 – AMD Phenom II X4 955 3.2GHz, ASUS M4A78T-E, Two Radeon 4870 1GB in Crossfire, 4GB RAM DDR3 1600
For 2560×1600 with medium/high settings, high/max at 1920×1200 and lower resolutions.

Even a computer that powerful is only medium/high.

MrRubix
07-4-2009, 03:53 PM
Hmmm will my computer's processor (Intel Core i7 950(3.06GHz)) be able to shred that at all at its highest settings?

Solid Dreams
07-4-2009, 04:16 PM
not in pure speed, but everything else, yah probably.

the 920 (2.66) outperforms most 3.x ghz quad processors.

fido123
07-4-2009, 04:25 PM
Hmmm will my computer's processor (Intel Core i7 950(3.06GHz)) be able to shred that at all at its highest settings?

Easy. The i7 has threaded cores...so it arguable has the ability of 8 cores, but not quite. It's a bit weird like that. For gaming you want to direct most of your attention to a video card. this (http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=4635293&Sku=E145-0276) can EASILY run Crysis at full. My card which is like half as powerful can, the NVIDEA GForce 9800GT. Also sorry to go against what a lot of people are saying but RAM doesn't make your computer go faster and you really shouldn't focus on it. You want to look for DDR3 RAM and make sure your motherboard will take DDR3 RAM (Tri-Channel if you can). 4GB will do more than good for gaming, and is probably a little overkill in itself but you should get at least 4GB so you can run 64-bit OSs. RAM is really easy to upgrade therefore if you ever run out, get another couple of gigs. You should really only be getting 8G+ if you're doing some hardcore rendering. If you have 4G of RAM, but you're only using 2 for a top end game, 2G isn't being used at all.

So basically

i7 Processor (Best one you can get really, there are 3 kinds)
4G of DDR3 Tri-Channle RAM
And this (http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=4635293&Sku=E145-0276)

And you have a beast of a machine.

MrRubix
07-4-2009, 04:42 PM
fido

What do you think of the computer I posted above?

Solid Dreams
07-4-2009, 07:29 PM
its overkill, to him.

banditcom
07-4-2009, 08:40 PM
That computer would be like 4.5k at Alienware... lol

Also, 12gb ram... rofl wtf? Christ....

My computer is 2 years old and I spent around $1400 on it. I did upgrade the graphics card recently to one that was a price-point graphics card, partly because my other one was screwing up.

It's NEVER worth it to get top of the line. You can get about 90-95% of the performance and save about 1/3rd of the cost.

2tb in HD is plenty too. I have a 120gb main HD that suites me just fine for system, games, and programs. I have an internal IDE that I made into an external USB 2.0 that is 180gb (all my files like movies, songs, etc), as well as another external that I just use for backup of my main external (this one stays completely unplugged). I only just ordered a 1tb drive since I'm out of DVD-Rs and it was a nice buy for $66.50! That will go inside my computer and my main external will now be another backup.

Other than that... I haven't kept up with things at all since I bought my computer. But as MrGiggles really pushed, the most one should spend is $1500 for the computer (excluding monitor, speakers, mouse, keyboard, external backup HD).

Really, that's definitely enough for a long time. The only possible upgrade would be in 2 years to add the same graphics card to SLI it.

I still think should aim for ~$1500 and get a nice monitor.

Red_Comet
07-4-2009, 09:21 PM
did somebody say REACTOR???? http://www.hardcorecomputer.com **** yeah.... anyways rubix if you're getting a pre-built system get it from the makers website, resellers like tigerdirect and newegg tend to mark it up because they wouldn't make money off a sale at the price the producers give it, just like it's better to go to the manufacturer for parts 95% of the time instead of a dealership as they tack on their own price to make profit.

It's a badass machine but you can get a comparable one for 255 bucks cheaper link: http://www.cyberpowerpc.com/system/CyberPower_Gamer_Infinity_8800_Pro_SE/ ) and still get the warranty, besides newegg doesn't have ALL that is available from cyberpowerPC, just what's profitable for them and hot on the market. If you ever need help budgeting for a new pc or upgrades talk to me.

Solid Dreams
07-4-2009, 09:25 PM
no such thing as enough in hard drive, Bandit.

Zageron
07-4-2009, 09:37 PM
Rubix that PC is awesome.
But I would get another GTX 295, and then a Physics card, like a GTX 260.
I would also make sure you get liquid cooling.

ninjaKIWI
07-4-2009, 10:59 PM
lol Banditcom, it wasn't a Maxtor was it?

MrGiggles
07-4-2009, 11:42 PM
Mostly people asking if their specs will handle Crysis maxed out.What those people don't realize is that "running Crysis at max settings" is a silly goal and a sillier benchmark. If it runs it at max settings, great, but there are better benchmarks.
$1500 for the computer (excluding monitor, speakers, mouse, keyboard, external backup HD).I spent about $900 dollars on a computer (the case and everything in it, no monitor or antyhing) that runs Fallout 3, L4D, and Farcry 2 at maximum settings. Granted, the monitor attatched is only 19", but I think 11-12 grand is more than enough for a computer operating on a larger monitor if you purchase the parts on Newegg. They usually have deals you can take advantage of, too. 1.5k is okay, it's not great cost-efficiency-wise but you don't have to upgrade quite so often which is pleasant and worth it to many. $2000 is just rofl (for gaming) and will get you laughed out of most technology oriented communities.
Rubix that PC is awesome.
But I would get another GTX 295, and then a Physics card, like a GTX 260.
I would also make sure you get liquid cooling.NO

BAD

PhysX cards are stupid and not worth the cost. It's like buying a car and then sticking a forty foot spoiler made of pure money on it. It's just emptying your wallet for minimal performance gains.

Besides, there are like, 2 games that support PhysX cards enough to matter.

Liquid cooling is also stupid and ricer and COMPLETELY unnecessary. Air cooling is more than adequate for cooling almost 99% of the computers on the planet, and it's much cheaper and less hassle.

MrRubix
07-5-2009, 12:09 AM
PhysX cards are stupid and not worth the cost. It's like buying a car and then sticking a forty foot spoiler made of pure money on it. It's just emptying your wallet for minimal performance gains.

This made me LOL.

Can I SLI two totally different cards?

MrGiggles
07-5-2009, 12:16 AM
This made me LOL.

Can I SLI two totally different cards?
Nope. SLI only works with 2 IDENTICAL cards. And, most likely, a more powerful PSU, in the 1000 watt range. GPUs eat tons of electricity and spew about as much heat.

MrRubix
07-5-2009, 12:19 AM
I hope 400W is enough to handle that system.

Would SLI'ing two of those GeForce 295's or whatever pack a pretty good punch in a few years?

fido123
07-5-2009, 12:26 AM
RAM overkill. Also something you might want to consider for speed is having both a normal hardrive, and then an SSHD (Solid State Hard Drive). Will decrease load times by a ton. They're quite expensive so I suggest you get like a 100-250G one and simply put your OS, and games you play often in it. Stuff like music doesn't take much time to load up anyway.

EDIT: Woah 400W will not do that...get AT LEAST 800W

MrGiggles
07-5-2009, 12:26 AM
I hope 400W is enough to handle that system.

Would SLI'ing two of those GeForce 295's or whatever pack a pretty good punch in a few years?
whoa whoa whoa wait

400 watts? For your computer? Absolutely not. A GTX 260 requires 550W MINIMUM. I'm pretty sure your specs said that it had an 800W PSU though, which should be about enough.

One GTX 295 will last you at least half a decade or more before you have to start turning down the default graphics settings. SLIing 295's will buy you another few years, and tri-SLIing another one or two years beyond that, maybe. Unfortunately, they'll also require you to build a case made entirely out of fans or submerged in mineral oil. I'd just replace it entirely after mid-range cards become as powerful as the 295. Then it will be cooler and more friendly towards SLI with the same amount of processing power.

Additionally, one card is more powerful than 2 cards half as powerful in SLI. It's not a perfect system, and you lose a bit of efficiency.

EDIT: An SSD could be helpful. Personally, I'm divided on them because load times don't bother me a ton and they're quite expensive per gigabyte. However, they have been proven to last longer and have SIGNIFICANTLY faster speeds than conventional drives. They'll probably become the market standard in the future, once the technology has advanced some more.

Zageron
07-5-2009, 12:29 AM
It all depends on what brand the 400W power supply is.

http://www.seasonic.com/product/pc_atx.jsp

And yeah 400W is too low.
I would go for an 800 personally, but a 650 sounds fine.

And for Liquid cooling vs Air cooling.
It's all preference and knowledge. If you know what you're doing Air cooling will work, but Liquid cooling is way more efficient most of the time... and it's hardly a hassle.

MrRubix
07-5-2009, 12:29 AM
Sorry, yes, 800W, my mistake!

And yeah, I figure in the future, if I wanted to get a boost in graphics, I'd just replace the 295 with a better card. It seems like SLI is a good option if I can link two cheaper cards together such that it's of comparable performance to a more expensive card for a cheaper price, but I don't know if this is true or not.

MrGiggles
07-5-2009, 12:49 AM
Sorry, yes, 800W, my mistake!

And yeah, I figure in the future, if I wanted to get a boost in graphics, I'd just replace the 295 with a better card. It seems like SLI is a good option if I can link two cheaper cards together such that it's of comparable performance to a more expensive card for a cheaper price, but I don't know if this is true or not.
Right, it really depends on the way the cards are priced.

As for liquid cooling, it can be fun to experiment with, especially if your case is built to handle water cooling. Additionally, you're almost guaranteed to never overheat unless you spring a leak or something and don't notice, which would make you a Class A retard. Unfortunately, it's still cumbersome and unnecessary since air cooling can cover all of your needs, cheaper and with less extraneous equipment. Plus, you don't really need to know what you're doing since most cases come with sufficient fans already installed.

fido123
07-5-2009, 12:54 AM
Right, it really depends on the way the cards are priced.

As for liquid cooling, it can be fun to experiment with, especially if your case is built to handle water cooling. Additionally, you're almost guaranteed to never overheat unless you spring a leak or something and don't notice, which would make you a Class A retard. Unfortunately, it's still cumbersome and unnecessary since air cooling can cover all of your needs, cheaper and with less extraneous equipment. Plus, you don't really need to know what you're doing since most cases come with sufficient fans already installed.

First of all they don't leak, you don't even fill them yourself. Also the cooler something runs, the longer it lasts, and water cooling keeps it much better. My high school computer teacher was playing around with it and it runs about 7C colder, which increase longevity of the parts by a couple years.

MrGiggles
07-5-2009, 01:02 AM
First of all they don't leak, you don't even fill them yourself. Also the cooler something runs, the longer it lasts, and water cooling keeps it much better. My high school computer teacher was playing around with it and it runs about 7C colder, which increase longevity of the parts by a couple years.
Water cooling can leak. Especially if you buy crummy systems with ceramic blocks, those are almost guaranteed to leak eventually. Even if you buy good quality water cooling, **** happens. I've heard a bunch of anecdotes of varying believability on /g/ and Tom's Hardware. 90% of accidents happen because so and so forgot to tighten this or that and then turned their computer on repeatedly after the components got wet. You do have to fill the system up yourself. You need to replace the coolant every year, at the very least.

Luckily, I've heard some water cooling setups doesn't actually use water anymore. They use another fluid that won't wreck all your parts if it does go haywire.

Longevity is increased with water cooling, but if you're planning to maintain the computer, you'll never keep a part for longer than a couple of years anyway. Hard drives, maybe, but air cooling will keep your other parts alive well until after you've replaced them.

Zageron
07-5-2009, 01:22 AM
Air cooling is especially effective if you know how to shape air. :o
If you can get the airflow to be perfect then it's way more efficient.

MrGiggles
07-5-2009, 01:29 AM
Air cooling is especially effective if you know how to shape air. :o
If you can get the airflow to be perfect then it's way more efficient.Unfortunately, the way my computer is set up some fans (most notably my GPU fan) blow in the opposite direction of the general airflow, which keeps me from playing games with the fans set on anything less than high and raise my idling temps a good couple of degrees. Oops.

But I'd heard that watercooling will bend air cooling over and rape it silly, without exception, in terms of straight up efficiency.

EDIT: Oh wait you meant way more efficient than air cooling where the airflow is ****ed. Like mine. Yeah, if you can manage to turn your case into a wind tunnel you're set.

MrRubix
07-5-2009, 01:35 AM
What would the weak points in that system be, if any?

MrGiggles
07-5-2009, 01:49 AM
What would the weak points in that system be, if any?
In terms of cooling? It could be better, but the company that designs and builds that premade will have made sure that it can handle the heat.

If I had to pick out specifics? It looks like it has a 120mm outtake fan in the rear. I can't really see the what's right in front of the HDD's, but it appears to have another 120mm intake fan in the front there. Hopefully it has a dust catching mechanism in front, my last computer died of a dust overdose. That arrangement seems pretty solid for a case that size. The issue that jumps out at me are the side vents. Side vents just plain suck and I don't know why any case has them. They collect dust like hookers collect diseases and they hurt the overall front-to-back airflow.

EDIT: Uh, it looks kind of like the side vents are outtake vents for the CPU fan. That removes the dust issue but it still interrupts airflow. Not as much as if they were intakes, but still.

In terms of bottlenecks, I don't see any. The HDD, maybe? But that's minor. I don't think there's many things out there that will redline any of your components yet, so it's tough to tell.

Zageron
07-5-2009, 02:01 AM
If your into fast then you could get a SSD. That would improve your speeds by a lot.
(Faster load times, faster windows bootup, faster file access etc...)

Solid Dreams
07-5-2009, 02:34 AM
Water cooling also gets algae in it.

MrRubix
07-5-2009, 10:04 AM
In terms of cooling? It could be better, but the company that designs and builds that premade will have made sure that it can handle the heat.

If I had to pick out specifics? It looks like it has a 120mm outtake fan in the rear. I can't really see the what's right in front of the HDD's, but it appears to have another 120mm intake fan in the front there. Hopefully it has a dust catching mechanism in front, my last computer died of a dust overdose. That arrangement seems pretty solid for a case that size. The issue that jumps out at me are the side vents. Side vents just plain suck and I don't know why any case has them. They collect dust like hookers collect diseases and they hurt the overall front-to-back airflow.

EDIT: Uh, it looks kind of like the side vents are outtake vents for the CPU fan. That removes the dust issue but it still interrupts airflow. Not as much as if they were intakes, but still.

In terms of bottlenecks, I don't see any. The HDD, maybe? But that's minor. I don't think there's many things out there that will redline any of your components yet, so it's tough to tell.

How long does it take for dust to build up in a tower with suboptimal air flow (ballpark figure)? I figure if I just open the case up every once and a while and blow everything out, it should help everything last longer so I don't have dust holding in needless heat.

Red_Comet
07-5-2009, 11:49 AM
best to open it up once a month for air cooling and clean it out if it's not in an environment that restricts airflow, you can clean it every 2-3 months though if you aren't a neat freak. but yeah try to stay within the 6 month frame of cleaning out your pc.... it gets dusty one way or another.

MrGiggles
07-5-2009, 11:54 AM
How long does it take for dust to build up in a tower with suboptimal air flow (ballpark figure)? I figure if I just open the case up every once and a while and blow everything out, it should help everything last longer so I don't have dust holding in needless heat.
There's a lot of variables in how quickly dust builds up. If you keep your tower on the floor, it builds up faster. If you keep it on a rug or carpet it builds up even faster. If the front of the case has a washable air filter it makes things loads easier, but opening up the case and getting rid of dust with some compressed air is a good idea every few months or so.

Zageron
07-5-2009, 02:42 PM
Yeah, if you have access to an air compresser (One used in the woodwork industry) they're so handy. Open up your case and let loose, staying at least 4 inches away from any component.

If you're more comfortable with computer hardware by the time you do this you could even take the RAM, Video Cards, and PSU out.

Let loose at the PSU and completely empty it of dust, carefully (from a distance) clean out the RAM and PCI slots, and then remove and clean any fans on any device in your computer. (If they're case fans try to blow from the inside -> out.)

I also heard somewhere that you can, for a very good cooling solution, submerge your board in a distilled water or vegetable oil environment. The liquid must be 100% distilled and must NEVER contain any physical particles. Then all you do is rapidly pump the liquid through a cooling device and push it back into the case.

This obviously sounds retarded, who would submerge their computer/board in water. But it's been done, and it works. (The reason electrical devices short out are because of the physical particles in liquid.)

I'm not pulling this out of my ass a friend who's taken a crapload of computer sciences courses told me this.

MrGiggles
07-5-2009, 10:47 PM
Yeah, if you have access to an air compresser (One used in the woodwork industry) they're so handy. Open up your case and let loose, staying at least 4 inches away from any component.

If you're more comfortable with computer hardware by the time you do this you could even take the RAM, Video Cards, and PSU out.

Let loose at the PSU and completely empty it of dust, carefully (from a distance) clean out the RAM and PCI slots, and then remove and clean any fans on any device in your computer. (If they're case fans try to blow from the inside -> out.)

I also heard somewhere that you can, for a very good cooling solution, submerge your board in a distilled water or vegetable oil environment. The liquid must be 100% distilled and must NEVER contain any physical particles. Then all you do is rapidly pump the liquid through a cooling device and push it back into the case.

This obviously sounds retarded, who would submerge their computer/board in water. But it's been done, and it works. (The reason electrical devices short out are because of the physical particles in liquid.)

I'm not pulling this out of my ass a friend who's taken a crapload of computer sciences courses told me this.I think he's mistaken. Distilled water will short out your components no matter what really. Mineral oil is what some people submerge their systems in. Mineral oil doesn't really conduct electricity so it keeps your components safe and cool.

I don't really know that much about it, but I've seen mineral oil setups floating around on /g/. It's a novelty cooling system really, it's even trickier than watercooling and requires more maintainance.

Red_Comet
07-5-2009, 10:55 PM
building off of zag's post: removing hardware to be cleaned can cause esd if there is dust on any of the contacts, it's because the "dust" that has been touching the electronic can store a large amount of electricity and without a proper contact point will release all that energy causing either the hardware on which it is touching to be instantly fried, or in rare occassions will also destroy your mobo in the process if for some odd reason the grounds fail you, which they shouldn't.

and distilled water is very hard to keep pure in a non-sterile environment, which most PC's are located in but yeah you can submerge electronics in purified water and certain mineral oils, that's what professionals do when they can fit it in the budget and AoO the hardware is tied to.

MrRubix
07-5-2009, 11:01 PM
I think I'll stick with air cooling for now. I don't mind blasting out the dust from time to time. Liquid cooling seems like it's asking for trouble if it's not done properly. It's quite easy for me to open up the case, see dust, and blast said dust.

I am probably going to get a better keyboard, perhaps, and a better mouse to go with all this. And a monitor at some point. At least 24" according to SD.

Nightfirecat
07-5-2009, 11:33 PM
Yeah - definitely get a 22" monitor at the least, and get it just about as high resolution as you want. Just make sure it's 2ms (or less) response time, high contrast rate, etc. Usually, it won't make a huge difference, unless you're planning on doing graphics design, but yeah - get a big monitor.

MrGiggles
07-6-2009, 01:55 PM
and distilled water is very hard to keep pure in a non-sterile environment, which most PC's are located in but yeah you can submerge electronics in purified water and certain mineral oils, that's what professionals do when they can fit it in the budget and AoO the hardware is tied to.
Well, maybe I'm wrong about distilled water after all. Like I said, I don't know a whole lot about submerged setups, I've just seen pics floating around.

MrRubix
07-6-2009, 02:11 PM
Maybe I'll submerge my computer, overclock everything to the max, and use the liquid to boil some ramen. Hell yeah. Dinner with your game.

Seriously though,

Any recommendations for a good 24-28 inch screen, or a keyboard/mouse/etc? I know these must be very annoying questions, but I've only grown up with so many computers and I really don't know what people use nowadays.

Relambrien
07-6-2009, 02:24 PM
I'm going to post some advice I've gotten from Something Awful since I too am in a market for a new computer.

First of all, future-proofing is impossible. Three years from now, what is top-of-the-line now won't be able to play anything. So buying super-high-end is never worth the value. Instead, buy cheaper mid-range parts that will do everything you want them to do now, and use the cash you save to upgrade that computer fairly regularly, or build a brand new system in two years or so.

Quad-core processors like the Core 2 Quad series and the i7 series aren't being properly utilized by today's applications. If you're not going to do much in the way of video encoding or other ridiculously processor-intensive tasks, you won't see much of a performance gain between a Core 2 Duo and an i7. Especially not in gaming.

It's a similar thing with video cards. The absolute best value card on the market right now is an ATi HD4850. It runs you less than $120 but can play anything you can throw at it at max or near-max settings with no problem at 1680x1050. Since you've said you're looking for a 24"-28" screen, however, you're going to be looking at some very high resolutions, in which case a 4890 or one of nVidia's higher-end offerings would be good to look into.

Additionally, SLi and Crossfire aren't exactly as good as you would think. Two cards does not mean double performance. In fact, the performance gains are usually only somewhat noticeable and you would have been much better served buying a single more powerful card.

That said, the computer build I'm currently putting together costs less than $800, yet it will run everything like a monster. It could run Crysis probably not at max settings, but close to them.

If you want more specific guides about which parts to pick, check out The Tech Report's Summer 2009 System Guide (http://techreport.com/articles.x/17102). It gives all the info you could ever want and suggested systems on every budget. TR also has a guide on how to put a computer together yourself, and it really isn't very hard. Look at it here (http://techreport.com/articles.x/13671).

Nightfirecat
07-6-2009, 02:37 PM
Well, I just have a pretty basic keyboard and mouse. Cost about 15 bucks to get em:

Keyboard: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16823126023
Mouse: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826105185

But if you want a gaming keyboard, I'd suggest the OLD logitech G15.

Link: http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Backlit-English-Italian-Keyboard/dp/B001TYA6TG/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1246908975&sr=8-3

If you can't find an old one, get a new one.

Link: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16823126034&Tpk=logitech%20g15

As for gaming mouses - I haven't found that I've needed one. That microsoft mouse seems to do fine. Beautiful, easy to use, and cheap.

Conorn
07-6-2009, 04:42 PM
just remember rubix, DONT GET VISTA.

MrRubix
07-6-2009, 05:04 PM
Well this rig comes with 64 bit vista, although there is a free upgrade to windows 7.

Conorn
07-6-2009, 05:09 PM
i suggest the upgrade in my opinion

MrRubix
07-6-2009, 05:11 PM
Is Vista *really* that bad for gaming?

I've been using XP for years, and I've always been really hesitant to upgrade to Vista due to the intense controversies and complaints, but I can't help but wonder if they're outmoded complaints by now. Is Vista 64 bit actually any good?

fido123
07-6-2009, 05:14 PM
Vista isn't nearly as bad as people say, however XP and 7 are better for gaming, but not enough to avoid at all.

MrRubix
07-6-2009, 05:25 PM
I figure I'll just install Vista and then when 7 comes out, upgrade and give it a shot.

jugglinguy
07-6-2009, 05:34 PM
Lolwindows

ninjaKIWI
07-6-2009, 06:09 PM
EDIT: I would also recommend the Razer Lachesis mouse and the OLD Logitech G15 keyboard, depending on the gaming you will be doing. The ability to create macros on the keyboard is more useful than you would assume.

This. Never use an optical mouse for gaming, ugh.

just remember rubix, DONT GET VISTA.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with Vista, you don't know what you're talking about.

Solid Dreams
07-6-2009, 07:04 PM
I like the logitech g11 personally. I think it's easier to stretch from ASWD than from the numpad.

MrGiggles
07-6-2009, 07:08 PM
There's absolutely nothing wrong with Vista, you don't know what you're talking about.
Yes there is, and pretending otherwise is just silly.

It was a rushed product that the became the 'in' thing to hate. It's improved drastically, but since it's image was marred so early Microsoft decided to rename Windows 6.1 'Windows 7'. 7 is really just a point upgrade from Vista, with a bunch of 'under the hood' improvements.

Monitors. I don't really keep up with monitors, I'm still using a 4:3 19" Dell LCD. I hear Samsung has some exceptionally good gaming monitors, but I can't recall which ones they are. Many people will tell you to stick with LCD's, and others will scoff and recommend CRT's for blacker blacks and various other minute advantages that no one really cares about.

OLD Logitech G15 keyboardEveryone recommends these for gaming. I wouldn't know, I don't have one, but it's probably a safe bet. Good luck finding one, they're out of production, having been replaced by a new version dubbed "G15 Refresh" as opposed to "G15 Gaming".

Logitech also makes some really great mice (I recall the G5 in particular being recommended to me), but you have to watch out for the silly ricer mice they also make that have tons of LED's and a weird shape that gives your hand diseases.

On the subject of price/performance and future-proofing, Relambrien is absolutely correct, except that I'd give a system like yours much longer than three years. Double that, probably.

MrRubix
07-6-2009, 07:14 PM
Have any of you used Windows 7 beta?

Solid Dreams
07-6-2009, 07:23 PM
Samsung's new ones are great, but like giggles I cant really remember.

http://www.samsung.com/us/consumer/detail/detail.do?group=computersperipherals&type=monitors&subtype=specialty&model_cd=LS22CMFKFV/ZA

They do however do the 3D stuff. Which is pretty slick.

Relambrien
07-6-2009, 07:32 PM
Have any of you used Windows 7 beta?

I'm on the RC right now. It really is basically a fixed Windows Vista. The most obvious change is in the taskbar. You can make it so that none of the icons on the taskbar use text in any way, only icons, which saves space. All windows from the same program are grouped under the same icon. It's really very useful.

Search has been upgraded so that instead of navigating to all your different files, you can just type in the name and by some magic the OS manages to find it for you in a second or two.

There are new options for resizing windows which are particularly useful for dual-monitor setups.

Windows Update is much better than it ever was previously due to the ability for Windows to find drivers automatically for virtually all of your hardware.

Internet Explorer and Windows Media Player have been improved beyond all recognition. IE may not yet be a competitor with Firefox and Chrome yet, but it's much better than it ever has been. Windows Media Player has thrown everything I've played at it, and even succeeded at things that old favorite Media Player Classic has not.

Compatibility is a non-issue as anything that worked in Vista should work just fine in 7.

Homegroups are a fantastic addition to networking.

Finally, the most controversial aspect of Windows Vista, UAC, has been tweaked and improved in every way. It is now exceptionally effective while remaining non-intrusive. I experience maybe one or two UAC prompts a day at most.

Really, the list of improvements is endless. Compatibility was the main issue with Vista when it launched, and that's been largely fixed. Windows 7 builds on that and improves virtually every aspect of the OS. I have had absolutely zero problems with Windows 7 and would recommend that anyone who has the specs to run it get it.

MrRubix
07-6-2009, 08:10 PM
I'm on the RC right now. It really is basically a fixed Windows Vista. The most obvious change is in the taskbar. You can make it so that none of the icons on the taskbar use text in any way, only icons, which saves space. All windows from the same program are grouped under the same icon. It's really very useful.

Search has been upgraded so that instead of navigating to all your different files, you can just type in the name and by some magic the OS manages to find it for you in a second or two.

There are new options for resizing windows which are particularly useful for dual-monitor setups.

Windows Update is much better than it ever was previously due to the ability for Windows to find drivers automatically for virtually all of your hardware.

Internet Explorer and Windows Media Player have been improved beyond all recognition. IE may not yet be a competitor with Firefox and Chrome yet, but it's much better than it ever has been. Windows Media Player has thrown everything I've played at it, and even succeeded at things that old favorite Media Player Classic has not.

Compatibility is a non-issue as anything that worked in Vista should work just fine in 7.

Homegroups are a fantastic addition to networking.

Finally, the most controversial aspect of Windows Vista, UAC, has been tweaked and improved in every way. It is now exceptionally effective while remaining non-intrusive. I experience maybe one or two UAC prompts a day at most.

Really, the list of improvements is endless. Compatibility was the main issue with Vista when it launched, and that's been largely fixed. Windows 7 builds on that and improves virtually every aspect of the OS. I have had absolutely zero problems with Windows 7 and would recommend that anyone who has the specs to run it get it.

How do you find Windows 7 to work with high end games? How about older games?

Relambrien
07-6-2009, 08:19 PM

Everything has been working perfectly except Starcraft, which has some color problems in menus. That's it. And the color thing is a 64-bit issue, not a Win7 issue.

Like I said, if it works on Vista, it's more or less guaranteed to work on 7. Hell, you can even use Vista drivers for anything that doesn't have Win7 drivers and it'll work.

MrGiggles
07-6-2009, 11:26 PM
I was running 7000 until a few days ago when I upgraded to the RC thanks to the bi-hourly shutdowns. If it works with Vista, it'll work with 7. I mean, 7 IS Vista, just with a new name and some improvements. All the drivers are the same and to date the only confirmed non-working program is daemon tools, and they released a 7-compatible release not long ago.

I don't know if the RC fixed this, but sleep mode works maybe 1/3 of the time. Otherwise, it's as if a random clock from 5 minutes to 6 hours starts timing down, and when it reaches 0 my computer starts back up again on its own. It TERRIFIED me when it first happened at 3 AM. I put it back to sleep, and ten minutes later it starts up again and I started sleeping with a bat next to me. Then I learned that other people were having this problem too.

Additionally, it tends to get stuck in a power cycle, where it turns on, turns off, rinse lather repeat. And you can't stop that ****er once it happens. Power button is unresponsive even when held, reboot button does nothing. You actually have to kill the PSU for at least ten seconds or else when you switch it back it just keeps going again.

Some people had issues with Windows Media Player using 100% of their resources to index music for hours on end and being unresponsive to the point where you have to reboot. That got fixed in the RC though, I know for sure.

But if the RC fixed those issues I have no other complaints. All my games run great, Fallout 3, L4D, Touhou, stepsmanier, Far Cry 2, Braid, Reckless Disregard for Gravity, etc. I haven't tried any emulators yet though.

MrRubix
07-6-2009, 11:47 PM
WHAT I absolutely need Daemon Tools. I use that like I breathe air. I hope it works in the final release (assuming I've read you correctly -- I can't tell if you mean it's no longer a problem or not).

Relambrien
07-7-2009, 12:26 AM
WHAT I absolutely need Daemon Tools. I use that like I breathe air. I hope it works in the final release (assuming I've read you correctly -- I can't tell if you mean it's no longer a problem or not).

I believe Daemon Tools released an update that now allows it to work with Windows 7. I don't use it personally so I can't be sure, but you might want to look into it.

MrGiggles
07-7-2009, 01:10 PM
I believe Daemon Tools released an update that now allows it to work with Windows 7. I don't use it personally so I can't be sure, but you might want to look into it.
What he said. Daemon Tools recently had a W7-compatible release, so you should be covered. I'm pretty sure that Daemon Tools was the only major program that didn't work just dandy in W7.

Kagami_Hiiragi
07-7-2009, 01:39 PM
Too bad you don't want the one submerged.
that one was badass.

MrRubix
07-7-2009, 02:02 PM
Dude that rig is $10K

lmao

Pretty sure anyone would WANT it. lmao

As for Daemon Tools, that's good to hear!

MrRubix
07-7-2009, 02:25 PM
I am going to make a video of the rig when it arrives

fido123
07-7-2009, 02:52 PM
Lolwindows

What other OS can you really do any gaming on? I'm a Linux nerd but I still have Windows on my rig for the sole purpose of gaming. Rubix is mostly using this game for gaming and not looking like a metrosexual faggot at Starbucks making coffee table albums on his macbook. Mac is good with the specific software it comes but sucks ass for basically everything else.

Also I've tried Windows 7 and it is godly. First of all it is NOT Vista with some fixes...it does come from Vista but the Kernal, and the way it runs its Filesystem are COMPLETELY different. I would say it's better than XP for gaming even at this early stage.

MrRubix
07-7-2009, 02:55 PM
Really... that is very good to hear

XP seems pretty solid right now, at least for me, but it would be great to actually have a faster OS that isn't bloatware (according to what I've heard about Vista)

fido123
07-7-2009, 03:28 PM
Really... that is very good to hear

XP seems pretty solid right now, at least for me, but it would be great to actually have a faster OS that isn't bloatware (according to what I've heard about Vista)

Bloatware is just applications that come with an OS, and isn't really a bad thing unless it's overdone. The reason I think why Vista got a bad name is our age group got so used to XP, as we basically grew up on it (Not grow up but we don't really use computers as a kid), and Vista came as like "WOAH DIFFERENT MUST SUCK". Also a lot of noobs who think RAM is the only thing that will make your computer run faster gawk and the Task Manager and see it using so much RAM, which is being used to preform tasks XP does too just more efficiently. Also Windows 7 is better because it comes with better features...like a screen shot application (FINALLY IT'S ONLY BEEN A DECADE), a better file system, and it's way more efficient.

Izzy
07-7-2009, 03:31 PM
Another great thing about windows 7 is its huge driver library. Makes it much easier to plug and play all kinds of hardware and have it find the driver automatically.

MrRubix
07-7-2009, 05:16 PM
Bloatware is just applications that come with an OS, and isn't really a bad thing unless it's overdone. The reason I think why Vista got a bad name is our age group got so used to XP, as we basically grew up on it (Not grow up but we don't really use computers as a kid), and Vista came as like "WOAH DIFFERENT MUST SUCK". Also a lot of noobs who think RAM is the only thing that will make your computer run faster gawk and the Task Manager and see it using so much RAM, which is being used to preform tasks XP does too just more efficiently. Also Windows 7 is better because it comes with better features...like a screen shot application (FINALLY IT'S ONLY BEEN A DECADE), a better file system, and it's way more efficient.

That feels so weird to read.

I started out on Windows 3.1 or whatever, upgraded to 95, then 98, then ME (worst. mistake. ever.) then XP

XD

banditcom
07-7-2009, 06:34 PM
lol Banditcom, it wasn't a Maxtor was it?

No.... rofl

It is a Hitachi. Here are the stats compared to a WD Black:

HD Tune: Hitachi HDT721010SLA3 Benchmark

Transfer Rate Minimum : 55.5 MB/sec
Transfer Rate Maximum : 112.2 MB/sec
Transfer Rate Average : 89.8 MB/sec
Access Time : 15.0 ms
Burst Rate : 167.1 MB/sec
CPU Usage : 4.0%

HD Tune: WDC WD1001FALS-00K1B0 Benchmark

Transfer Rate Minimum : 52.6 MB/sec
Transfer Rate Maximum : 106.2 MB/sec
Transfer Rate Average : 85.9 MB/sec
Access Time : 12.4 ms
Burst Rate : 112.2 MB/sec
CPU Usage : 7.0%

fido123
07-8-2009, 11:12 AM
That feels so weird to read.

I started out on Windows 3.1 or whatever, upgraded to 95, then 98, then ME (worst. mistake. ever.) then XP

XD

When I was a kid I only had a computer that ran on DOS. Thing is most youth around our age really started understanding computers (Or were at least influenced by people our age) was around the time XP was around.

MrRubix
07-8-2009, 11:14 AM
Early windows had DOS -- I never had a computer that was strictly command-line, however. Although technically my very first computer was an old Apple II. Every time I wanted to play a new game, I'd need another huge-ass floppy disk. lmao.

fido123
07-8-2009, 11:52 AM
Early windows had DOS -- I never had a computer that was strictly command-line, however. Although technically my very first computer was an old Apple II. Every time I wanted to play a new game, I'd need another huge-ass floppy disk. lmao.

Same, but even Windows computer now have DOS, it's just been modified like 'deltree.*.' is replaced with 'RC /s /q' or something similar to that. The computer I had was command line only and I used to ask my dad to put the "magic words" into it to play a game.

banditcom
07-8-2009, 11:07 PM
3.1.1 here...
90 mhz
4 mb ram, which we later upped to 8 mb ram
cd-rom drive!
sound card!!

Emo_Saur_
07-8-2009, 11:21 PM
http://www.tigerdirect.com

Barebone kits, Desktops, all that jazz.

ninjaKIWI
07-8-2009, 11:28 PM
My first computer was a VIC 20 :twisted:
I miss it, I think I'll gut it and put it in a milk crate. I still have it somewhere around here.

http://ghettocomputers.files.wordpress.com/2008/09/milk_crate.jpg

MrGiggles
07-9-2009, 12:34 AM
Windows 3.1

I used to play Word Munchers on that thing. My God that was forever ago.

Everyone should do a hobo build at least once in their life. It's a really great conversation piece.

darkshark
07-9-2009, 04:02 AM
Go to the nearest 3d production studio, and ask them if they have any old rendering stations they're getting rid of, chances are they will.

Tippet Studios was selling 8.8ghz quadcore Dells with 512mb graphics cards for around $300, and for a rendering station that's crap....considering most of today's single stations are anywhere between 24 and 40ghz.

I have the 8.8ghz model and it runs everything at max with zero problems.

MrRubix
07-9-2009, 08:19 AM
Go to the nearest 3d production studio, and ask them if they have any old rendering stations they're getting rid of, chances are they will.

Tippet Studios was selling 8.8ghz quadcore Dells with 512mb graphics cards for around $300, and for a rendering station that's crap....considering most of today's single stations are anywhere between 24 and 40ghz.

I have the 8.8ghz model and it runs everything at max with zero problems.

Sweet jesus, what are the specs on such a thing?

And yes, the new computers also have "DOS" but it's really more of a "command line" shell -- back then I recall needing to reboot into DOS mode entirely, lol. I've never actually used a computer that was entirely command line, although I *think* the Apple II was? I can't honestly remember. I was really young and didn't use it for long, since we quickly got Windows and I started playing games like Lemmings, Commander Keen, Dark Ages, Commander Comic, Wolfenstein 3D, then Doom, Duke Nukem, etc etc.

Before that it was.... some polevaulting game, lmao.

Red_Comet
07-9-2009, 08:58 AM
that's a sick idea DS, thanks for it, there's one right near regent university and I know how to get there even without mapquest or a nav system, might have to check it out this weekend.

MrRubix
07-9-2009, 09:20 AM
Damn it, all the studios around here aren't getting rid of much.

fido123
07-9-2009, 10:46 AM
I've never actually used a computer that was entirely command line, although I *think* the Apple II was? I can't honestly remember.

Apple always had GUI. If it was command line it would be UNIX with like 80% of the commands removed.

MrRubix
07-9-2009, 10:56 AM
All I remember is that everything was green -- the graphics, the text, etc.

MrGiggles
07-9-2009, 03:19 PM
Workstation components aren't really optimized for gaming, but at $300 it's hard to care. Great buy.

Last winter Dell's European online store made a whoopsie and sold $2,400 Quadro FX cards for $24.00 each. The bastards canceled my order though once they found out. :<

Tasselfoot
07-9-2009, 05:02 PM
hey guys... i had a corrupted HD a few weeks ago, and since getting my PC back from the shop, it hasn't been the same. i've got a little bit of extra cash, and it's been almost 3 years since i got this computer... so i'm considering buying a new tower.

i took the design based off of the earlier posted specs from newegg, although i went to cyberpowerpc directly. main differences are the dual-vid cards, little upgrade to tower, motherboard, warranty. price is almost 400 more though.

thoughts on the build... on whether everything will work together... on enough power/cooling for the whatnot. also, there was no option to RAID-0 the 2 1TB HDs... only option was for 2 250GB HDs, and that just isn't enough memory for me.

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b145/Tasselfoot/PCSpecs-Jul09.png

i can also sell my current tower for probably a nice piece of change, so that'll recoup some of the output. (i was thinking 800-1000?).

so, thoughts and advice?

-Tass

virus003
07-9-2009, 05:05 PM
I didn't know this thread went for Tass's bank.

MrRubix
07-9-2009, 05:05 PM
pretty much looks the same as mine although the two video cards are prob overkill -- i researched the singular model and it's going to chew **** out hardcore for a few years to come. By then it'll be cheaper to just get a better card than two of those cards now.

Grandiagod
07-9-2009, 05:11 PM
Whoops I missed this thread (http://lmgtfy.com/?q=how+to+build+a+good+gaming+pc)

MrGiggles
07-9-2009, 06:13 PM
I'm going to tell you the same thing I told Rubix. I'm assuming this PC is for gaming.

Super God machine gaming builds are horribly cost inefficient. I strongly recommend that you purchase a tower in the 1k-1.5k cost range if it's a premade, .7k-1.2k if you build it yourself. That will be more than enough for max settings on just about any game.

I don't really recommend SLI'ing two GTX 275's either, since a single card that's twice as powerful would be more efficient and probably generate a little less heat, which is always a good thing. Also it's ridiculous overkill unless your monitor is HUGE. One GTX 275 is pretty much more than enough for most monitors.

I'm divided on the use of i7's in gaming builds. i7's have more threads than any current video game can make use of. 4 cores, two threads per core. Most games utilize two cores (threads, really) to some degree, and maybe two or three games can utilize the four cores of a Core 2 Quad. So, as of right now, i7's just aren't cost efficient enough to be an obvious call. In the future, 8 threads will be great for gaming, and a good deal cheaper. But not yet. I think a upper-end Core 2 Duo would suit your needs just fine, although if you didn't downgrade anything else it would eventually become a bottleneck. As a side effect, the motherboard for a Core 2 Duo would be significantly cheaper. Dunno if CyberPower would find or have one for you. On the other hand, technology is advancing at quite a pace, and the recent trend in increasing cores leads me to believe that most games in the near future will use more than 2 threads, so Core 2 Duo is probably about to become outdated. In two or three years, maybe. They're much cheaper though.

Since it's a premade, you'll be all set on cooling and everything else that's really important like the power supply. 800W is probably barely enough for that setup, so if you want to upgrade to anything more power hungry in the future you'll have to upgrade the PSU as well.

12 GB of RAM is great, I'm of the opinion that since memory is so cheap getting as much as possible is a good idea. It's the only component you can really future proof with, and 12 GB will last like a decade or so.

I can't find any pics of the case with a quick google search, so I don't have any input on that yet. Trying to view images on an iBook G4 is pretty difficult anyway, so I didn't try hard.

EDIT: The first result from Grandia's search was kind of a ****ty site. It's also outdated, which makes it even funnier since it recommended a core 2 quad for gaming. Don't listen to it.

EDITEDIT: wall of TEXT
Went to the Raidmax site. Side vents r ghey. blue LED's help keep your system cooler, those are good.

The site doesn't really give me a ton of information, like if it has cleanable dust filters or other nice little things. Their idea of key features is that it has LED's, 120mm fans, and an e-sata port.

EDITEDITEDIT: rofls
I did a little more research, and I learned that Tom's Hardware compared two GTX 275's in SLI (Tass's setup) to a single GTX 295 (Rubix's setup).

What's interesting about this experiment is that a GTX 275 is exactly half as powerful as a 295. So, does 2 of them make one 295?

The conclusion was that two 275's are actually more powerful than a single 295. This is largely because of the increased PCI-e 16 bandwidth you get from using two slots, as opposed to the one slot the 295 would take up. The other reason is that 275's have a bit of a clock speed advantage over the 295. This easily makes up for SLI being an imperfect system. Who'da thunk it.

Unfortunately, two 275's use more power and generate more heat than a single 295, in addition to hogging a bunch of expansion slots that could be otherwise used for... stuff. They're also more expensive than a single 295, but only about $20 more.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/geforce-gtx-sli,2298.html

Tasselfoot
07-9-2009, 09:45 PM
appreciate all the info. wish i had read it earlier. i went ahead and bought my machine listed above, with one difference. i did switch to the 1 295 instead of the 2 275s. it was 60 bucks cheaper, and it allows me to use 2 monitors instead of 1 (the SLI set-up apparently can only handle 1 monitor).

i would have upgraded the PSU beyond 800W though, had i read it. but i'll keep it in mind that if i upgrade something else, i should upgrade the PSU.

as far as my monitor... it's a 24" widescreen LCD by optiquest. it's pretty darn nice.

i'm perfectly fine spending 2500ish, because it'll last me 3 years. this machine lasted 3 years and i can still sell it for a few hundred, at least. which drops the effective cost lower than 2500 anyway. PLUS i found a 5% off coupon and the company is only 40 miles from where i live, so i'll drive and pick it up... save 130 on the coupon and another 70 bucks (and like 2-3 days) on shipping.

banditcom
07-9-2009, 09:50 PM
$2500ish is overkill..........

>_>

MrRubix
07-9-2009, 09:54 PM
My computer hasn't yet been purchased... I'm still contemplating if I should change things around.

MrRubix
07-9-2009, 09:55 PM
I definitely want the 295 video card. I definitely want the 12 GB RAM. Definitely want at least 2 TB HDD space. Definitely want the i7 950 or whatever it's called.

Solid Dreams
07-9-2009, 10:14 PM
Then keep the computer.

The submerged rig doesnt look all that hot, especially since you're paying out the nose for super duper water cooling.

Tasselfoot
07-9-2009, 10:17 PM
i like overkill. i'm comfortable with overkill. i'm sick of **** not working right, or lagging to hell, or my god damn video editing software taking 40 minutes to render crap or freeze and crash completely.

plus, overkill now equates to (hopefully) above average in 2-3 years. which is exactly what i want. i don't want to have to keep buying new **** every year or two and upgrading. that's way too much hassle. buy one thing now for 2500, and ride it for 3 years. that's 70 bucks a month... it's about 2.30 a day.

not to mention, it's completely tax deductible.

MrRubix
07-9-2009, 10:23 PM
I like the idea of my computer churning through whatever I throw at it for the next few years.

MrGiggles
07-10-2009, 12:24 PM
i like overkill. i'm comfortable with overkill. i'm sick of **** not working right, or lagging to hell, or my god damn video editing software taking 40 minutes to render crap or freeze and crash completely.

plus, overkill now equates to (hopefully) above average in 2-3 years. which is exactly what i want. i don't want to have to keep buying new **** every year or two and upgrading. that's way too much hassle. buy one thing now for 2500, and ride it for 3 years. that's 70 bucks a month... it's about 2.30 a day.

not to mention, it's completely tax deductible.To each his own, I suppose. There's something to be said for not having to upgrade components on a regular basis, if you have the cash to spare.

Going with a single 295 opens up the option of gradually adding more 295's (theoretically, up to 4 total) to the build in the future when you find that just one isn't getting the job done, which is always nice. By that time, though, they'll have cards that are cooler and more power efficient for the same amount of oomph. Which is good, since I'm pretty sure your case (any case, really) would have a tough time cooling 2-3 295's. You would also need a higher rated PSU. I think each 295 uses about 300-350W under load.
I like the idea of my computer churning through whatever I throw at it for the next few years.Whatever helps you sleep at night.

MrRubix
07-10-2009, 12:44 PM
In large part, it's mainly because life is busy, and I simply don't have the time to go out computer-part shopping in regular intervals. I just want to get something uber that'll last for a while, then I can upgrade parts then. The price premium is made up for in convenience.

I'm on the computer so much anyway -- I may as well get something I can rely on for a long time.

Red_Comet
07-10-2009, 12:47 PM
nice buy Tass, and yeah if you got money to spend go with whatever you desire marcus, I'm a budget builder first and a power freak second.

fido123
07-10-2009, 12:48 PM
Why do you want 12G of RAM? I bet you won't even use 3.

MrRubix
07-10-2009, 12:53 PM
Again, it'll last a long time. At some point we'll need more.

MrGiggles
07-10-2009, 01:20 PM
Why do you want 12G of RAM? I bet you won't even use 3.
You should always get as much RAM as you can possibly fit into your budget. It's cheap and it'll last forever.

fido123
07-10-2009, 01:38 PM
You should always get as much RAM as you can possibly fit into your budget. It's cheap and it'll last forever.

It's still a waste of money =/

OnixRose
07-10-2009, 01:44 PM

I feel the same way. My new box will run around the same price as that too. I'll post specs when ever I get all the ordering finalized (probably in a ****ing month =/ )

MrRubix
07-10-2009, 01:53 PM
http://sellout.woot.com/Default.aspx?WootSaleId=9256&ts=1247252060&sig=cb8e91a214afaacf

UNGHHH I want so badly.

I'll wait on the megascreen though.

MrGiggles
07-10-2009, 02:16 PM
It's still a waste of money =/
Nah, he can use that RAM for quite a while. It'll last him much longer than 3 years, so if he just goes all out and buys another tower he can transfer those sticks into it without buying more RAM. Assuming his mobo has enough slots.

I mean, 2GB sticks are what, $25 each? Sure it's unnecessary, but with RAM that's usually not a bad thing.

He COULD save money by only buying RAM when it became necessary. In two or three years a 4GB stick might cost around $25 or less. But it's so cheap anyways that it's not really a big deal.

MrRubix
07-10-2009, 04:32 PM
Well it looks like the new computer's a no go. Apparently my mom hasn't changed when it's come to gifts/money. She backed out and no longer wants to get me a graduation gift. fml

Red_Comet
07-10-2009, 04:39 PM
ah that's messed up man, I was really psyched for you to get that nice rig for a grad gift.

Tasselfoot
07-10-2009, 04:43 PM
new solution... sell your ass to wharton's homosexual (or kinky female) population to fund the new machine.

Red_Comet
07-10-2009, 04:47 PM
OR ask the government to fund it since you went to a nice school and are eligible for some of the "bailout" programs/grants

MrRubix
07-10-2009, 10:17 PM
Well she may get one after all. I have to build a new one straight from Cyberpower because the Newegg one went out of stock.

http://www.cyberpowerpc.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=5076

Latest build at the bottom. I decided to go for 6 GB Corsair Dominator (higher quality RAM) than 12 GB because apparently the default RAM CP uses is ****.

Anyone know anything about the fan choices or the mobos I have listed here? I also upped the power to 1000W, and changed the first HDD to a two-500GB HD RAID0, while my second HDD is a 1 TB.

MrGiggles
07-10-2009, 11:48 PM
Thoughts on the case: see through side, neon lights, rofl. It's also really cheap, which is a little suspicious. Cooler Master makes some great cases, but mostly in the $50 and up range. Are you sure that case is large enough to hold all your stuff? Especially the CPU heatsink, those copper pipe radiator types can be HUGE. They are fantastic for cooling, I have one (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835233003), but I needed a nearly full-sized case to get it in. You may want to do some measurements and quick math so you know it'll all fit. I couldn't find that particular heatsink on newegg (or anywhere else :/) so I can't do the measurements for you. Unless CyberPower checks all your parts for compatibility and fit.

Also, that case has ONE rear 120mm fan. I think you need a bigger and better cooled case. That one relies solely on negative air pressure to cool your system.

MrRubix
07-10-2009, 11:58 PM
Hmm, what would be a better case in your opinion?

* CAS: New! CoolerMaster Elite 310 Mid-Tower Case with See-Thur Side Panel
* CASUPGRADE: 12in COLD CATHODE NEON LIGHT [+10] (BLUE COLOR)
* CS_FAN: Default case fans
* POWERSUPPLY: 1,000 Watts Power Supplies [+99] (Azza Gaming Active PFC Power Supply SLI/CrossFire Ready)
* CPU: Intel® Core™ i7-950 3.06 GHz 8M L3 Cache LGA1366 [+1055]
* FAN: Thermaltake V1 Gaming CPU Cooling Fan (Excellent Overclocking + Silent Proof + Smart CPU & System Thermal Monitor) [+49]
* MOTHERBOARD: (3-Way SLI Support) GigaByte GA-EX58-UD4P Intel X58 Chipset SLI/CrossFireX Ultra Durable™3 Mainboard Triple-Channel DDR3/1600 SATA RAID w/ eSATA,Dual GbLAN,USB2.0,IEEE1394a,&7.1Audio [+58]
* MEMORY: 6GB (2GBx3) DDR3/1600MHz Triple Channel Memory Module [+90] (Corsair Dominator [+36])
* FREEBIE_RM: None
* VIDEO: NVIDIA GeForce GTX295 1.7GB 16X PCIe Video Card [+511] (Major Brand Powered by NVIDIA)
* VIDEO2: None
* VIDEO3: None
* VC_GAMES: FREE GAME - Battle Stations ** Pacific **
* MULTIVIEW: Non-SLI/Non-CrossFireX Mode Supports Multiple Monitors
* MONITOR: NONE
* MONITOR2: NONE
* HDD: Extreme Performance (RAID-0) with 2 Identical Hard Drives [+37] (1TB (500GBx2) SATA-II 3.0Gb/s 16MB Cache 7200RPM HDD [+20])
* HDD2: 1TB (1TBx1) SATA-II 3.0Gb/s 16MB Cache 7200RPM Hard Drive [+83]
* USBHD: NONE
* CD: Sony Optiarc BC-5100S 5X Blu-Ray Player & DVDRW Combo Drive (Black Color) [+69]
* CD2: (Special Price) LG 20X DVD±R/±RW + CD-R/RW DRIVE DUAL LAYER [+30] (BLACK COLOR)
* SOUND: HIGH DEFINITION ON-BOARD 7.1 AUDIO
* SPEAKERS: None
* NETWORK: Onboard Gigabit LAN Network
* MODEM: NONE
* KEYBOARD: Logitech Deluxe 104 PS/2 Keyboard [+1] (Black Color)
* MOUSE: XtremeGear Optical USB 3 Buttons Gaming Mouse
* TEMP: NONE
* WNC: Zonet ZEW1642 IEEE 802.11b/g/n Draft 2.0 PCI Wireless Adapter Network Card [+29]
* FLASHMEDIA: None
* VIDEOCAMERA: NONE
* PRINTER: None
* PRINTER_CABLE: None
* IEEE_CARD: NONE
* USB: Built-in USB 2.0 Ports
* FLOPPY: NONE
* OS: Microsoft® Windows Vista™ Home Premium w/ Service Pack 1 [+104] (64-bit Edition)
* OS_UPGRADE: (Free Upgrade Coupon) Microsoft® Windows® 7 Home Premium ($29-$29 Mail-In-Rebate = Free) [+29] (64-bit Edition)
* FREEBIE_OS: FREE! (Halo 2) Game
* TVRC: None
* CARE: Ultra Enhanced Packaging Solution [+19]
* SERVICE: STANDARD WARRANTY: 3-YEAR LIMITED WARRANTY PLUS LIFE-TIME TECHNICAL SUPPORT
* RUSH: NO; READY TO SHIP IN 5~10 BUSINESS DAYS
* _PRICE: (+2329)

MrRubix
07-11-2009, 12:01 AM
I am not sure what you mean by copper pipes unless you looked at the older setup -- the new one is at the bottom of that thread/in the above post

MrGiggles
07-11-2009, 12:08 AM
Hmm, what would be a better case in your opinion?
It's really up to preference and personal needs. There are a ton of nice $50 cases out there, but they may not be enough for a build like yours. The Antec 300, 900, and 1200 are great cases, everyone and their grandmother has the 900, although everyone and their grandmother also admits that see through cases are silly and LED fans are even sillier. The 1200 is basically a larger 900 with more LED fans. I personally have an Antec P182 and am loving it, although it has its flaws. It's very quiet, and sacrifices some cooling ability for that, and it doesn't have a removable motherboard tray. Larger PSU's also tend to not fit very well, sometimes you even have to modify the case a bit.

I'm desperately trying to remember some other names I hear a lot, (CM Centurion 35 or 50 or something was one of them) but I'm drawing a blank right now.

I am not sure what you mean by copper pipes unless you looked at the older setup -- the new one is at the bottom of that thread/in the above postEDIT okay wait I was looking at the top post. That case isn't the one you originally were set on, is it?
EDITEDIT: my head hurts lemme go look at the bottom post

MrRubix
07-11-2009, 12:13 AM
These are the case listings. Are any of them familiar?

http://img12.imageshack.us/img12/120/cases.png

MrGiggles
07-11-2009, 12:39 AM
I had a post typed out but FFR's redirects ate it, trying again.

So I notice you traded 12 GB of stock RAM for 6 GB high quality Corsair stuff. I don't know exactly how RAM works, so I wouldn't be able to tell you if that's faster or not.

Gigabyte is a quality name in mobos, you probably can't go wrong with them and the UD4P. It's important to note, however, that that mobo is aimed at advanced users and you won't get much bang for your buck unless you go into the bios on first boot and fiddle around until you get it to boot quickly. I mean, the default boot option is "boot from floppy." SLI will be a bitch with normal sized cards, the PCI-e 16x slots are too close together for multiple 295's.

I don't know that much about cases, really. There are so many of the damn things and there are so many variables and options that it would be hard to find anyone familiar enough with cases to glance at that list and pick out the best case for you. What I would do is pick out a few cases you like. Try to stay away from excessive LED's (especially in gauges and fans) and see through sides with LED's. It should have more than one fan (unless it's like a 1000mm fan) for obvious reasons. Then, look them up on newegg and check out what other people are saying about them. Some will even post the build they made with it, so you can compare others with similar builds. Finally, when you've started to narrow down your choices, start asking around and doing some quick math to figure out if everything will fit.

It takes a bit of effort, but it'll be worth it if you don't have to order some random case and find out that it isn't sufficient for your needs.

MrRubix
07-11-2009, 12:43 AM
I don't plan on SLI'ing cards, really. I figure I can just get a single, better card later down the line. Would you recommend the EVGA mobo instead?

The mobo and the case are giving me headaches. I feel like everything else is fairly solid for the time being.

MrGiggles
07-11-2009, 01:00 AM
I don't plan on SLI'ing cards, really. I figure I can just get a single, better card later down the line. Would you recommend the EVGA mobo instead?

The mobo and the case are giving me headaches. I feel like everything else is fairly solid for the time being.Right, I remember that you didn't plan on SLI.

I forgot to mention the Thermaltake V1. It's really gay. It's the weirdest, most alien CPU heatsink since ever. I remember the first time I saw it I wasn't sure what I was looking at. It uses a very effective technology, but the design hinders its cooling power. It's also fairly large. It's not terribly high, but it's kinda long, so take that into consideration when you pick a case. If you have other options and you still want a smaller case you may want to explore them.

The Asus P6T is a popular mobo, you could probably look into one of those, but you'll be fine with the UD4P. All you have to do is dick around in the bios until you like how things are. I searched the thread, but I can't figure out which EVGA mobo you're referring to.

MrRubix
07-11-2009, 01:03 AM
It's called: (3-Way SLI Support) EVGA X58 3X SLI Intel X58 Chipset SLI/CrossFireX Mainboard Triple-Channel DDR3/1600 SATA RAID w/ eSATA, Dual GbLAN, USB2.0, Dual IEEE1394&7.1Audio

versus the

(3-Way SLI Support) GigaByte GA-EX58-UD4P Intel X58 Chipset SLI/CrossFireX Ultra Durable™3 Mainboard Triple-Channel DDR3/1600 SATA RAID w/ eSATA,Dual GbLAN,USB2.0,IEEE1394a,&7.1Audio

And yeah I don't think I'm gonna go for the V1... the reviews make me a bit hesitant. Problem is the cheap one below in the list is flimsy according to reviews, and they're all supposedly better than the onboard. I wonder if the copper pipe one is sufficient.

MrGiggles
07-11-2009, 01:20 AM
It's called: (3-Way SLI Support) EVGA X58 3X SLI Intel X58 Chipset SLI/CrossFireX Mainboard Triple-Channel DDR3/1600 SATA RAID w/ eSATA, Dual GbLAN, USB2.0, Dual IEEE1394&7.1Audio

versus the

(3-Way SLI Support) GigaByte GA-EX58-UD4P Intel X58 Chipset SLI/CrossFireX Ultra Durable™3 Mainboard Triple-Channel DDR3/1600 SATA RAID w/ eSATA,Dual GbLAN,USB2.0,IEEE1394a,&7.1Audio

And yeah I don't think I'm gonna go for the V1... the reviews make me a bit hesitant. Problem is the cheap one below in the list is flimsy according to reviews, and they're all supposedly better than the onboard. I wonder if the copper pipe one is sufficient.
Don't get me wrong, the V1 is a great performer, it's just large and might not fit in all cases. Additionally, I don't think a V1 works with i7's unless you buy an adapter. Arctic Freezer 7 is maybe the most popular heatsink out right now, but it's also incompatible with i7's without an adapter.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835608007

Works with i7's, but it's huge and expensive. A fantastic cooler, though.

I gotta say again though, I have no idea how CyberPower works. I don't know if they disallow builds on the customization page that won't work for one reason or another (incompatibility between parts, not enough power/cooling/space, etc), if they notify you that it won't work for any reason, or if they just shrug their shoulders and send you a build that won't work.

MrRubix
07-11-2009, 07:21 PM
So I finally ordered the computer after countless hours of toiling, balancing, forum-browsing, and review-whoring:

http://img198.imageshack.us/img198/4776/newcomp.png

I decided to choose the i7 920 processor with the 20% factory overclock, which is cheaper and faster than a stock i7 950 without voiding warranty. I could have gone with the i7 950 and overclocked it to like 3.7 but it would be more expensive and I would void the warranty.

I went down to 6 GB RAM (Corsair Dominator Brand). Figured 6 GB of faster RAM would be better right now than the 12 GB setup I was looking at before of non-Dominator RAM.

I wasted a lot of time debating optical drives but wound up choosing the same setup Tass had. It was either that setup or the LG GGW optical drive which could also write Blu-Ray, but the additional cost of that device was huge. Getting the two optical drives was cheaper and I can still play Blu-Ray and read/write CD's and DVD's.

I opted for a sound card instead of the on-board for quality reasons.

Slapped in a Zonet wireless card (mainly Red Comet's recommendation, as I had no idea what to choose. The Linksys wireless card was like $30 more and I figured it wasn't worth it).

Slammed in a 1000W high-quality PSU to keep everything running long and strong, and I opted for liquid cooling for the CPU.

Thanks guys for all your help! I would have been totally lost otherwise, lmao.

AC1speakerbox
07-11-2009, 07:35 PM
I was wondering how the **** there were so many replys in this fool, but then I saw that Rubix made it. xD

Rubix asks for a new computer and you will learn some new words.

MrRubix
08-18-2009, 11:51 PM
22 or 24 inch monitor?

Brycexx
08-19-2009, 12:01 AM
I have a 22 inch monitor and its plenty big enough but it all boils down to personal preference

MrRubix
08-19-2009, 12:04 AM
Final specs:

Mega Special IV
# CAS: New!! NZXT Beta Gaming Mid-Tower Case with See-Thru Window
# CASUPGRADE: NONE
# CS_FAN: Maximum 120MM Case Cooling Fans for your selected case [+9]
# CPU: Intel® Core™ i7-950 3.06 GHz 8M L3 Cache LGA1366 [+1259]
# CD: (Special Price) LG 22X DVD±R/±RW + CD-R/RW Dual Layer Drive (BLACK COLOR)
# CD2: NONE
# CARE1: Ultra Enhanced Packaging Solution - Protect Your Dream System During Transit [+19]
# CARE2: Professional Wiring for All WIRING Inside The System Chassis - Minimize Cable Exposure, Maximize Airflow in Your System [+19]
# FLOPPY: NONE
# FREEBIE_OS: FREE! (Halo 2) Game
# FLASHMEDIA: INTERNAL 12in1 Flash Media Reader/Writer (BLACK COLOR)
# FAN: CoolerMaster V8 Gaming CPU Cooling Fan (Extreme Silent Operation at only 22dBA + Overclock Proof) [+58]
# FREEBIE_RM: None
# HDD: Single Hard Drive (1TB (1TBx1) SATA-II 3.0Gb/s 16MB Cache 7200RPM HDD [+26])
# HDD2: 1TB (1TBx1) SATA-II 3.0Gb/s 16MB Cache 7200RPM Hard Drive [+83]
# IEEE_CARD: NONE
# KEYBOARD: Xtreme Gear (Black Color) Multimedia/Internet USB Keyboard
# MOUSE: XtremeGear Optical USB 3 Buttons Gaming Mouse
# MODEM: NONE
# MULTIVIEW: Non-SLI/Non-CrossFireX Mode Supports Multiple Monitors
# MONITOR: ($10 off Mail-in Rebate) 24" LCD - Asus VH242H Wide Screen TFT Active Matrix LCD Display (Black) [+259]
# MONITOR2: NONE
# MOTHERBOARD: (3-Way SLI Support) GigaByte GA-EX58-UD4P Intel X58 Chipset SLI/CrossFireX Ultra Durable™3 Mainboard Triple-Channel DDR3/1600 SATA RAID w/ eSATA,Dual GbLAN,USB2.0,IEEE1394a,&7.1Audio [+58]
# MEMORY: 6GB (2GBx3) DDR3/1600MHz Triple Channel Memory Module [+40] (Corsair Dominator [+36])
# NETWORK: Onboard Gigabit LAN Network
# OS: Microsoft® Windows Vista™ Home Premium w/ Service Pack 1 [+104] (64-bit Edition)
# OS_UPGRADE: (Free Upgrade Coupon) Microsoft® Windows® 7 Home Premium ($29-$29 Mail-In-Rebate = Free) [+29] (64-bit Edition)
# PRINTER: None
# PRINTER_CABLE: None
# POWERSUPPLY: 900 Watts Power Supplies [+79] (Apevia Warlock Series)
# RUSH: NO; READY TO SHIP IN 5~10 BUSINESS DAYS
# SERVICE: STANDARD WARRANTY: 3-YEAR LIMITED WARRANTY PLUS LIFE-TIME TECHNICAL SUPPORT
# SOUND: HIGH DEFINITION ON-BOARD 7.1 AUDIO
# SPEAKERS: None
# TEMP: NONE
# TVRC: None
# USB: Built-in USB 2.0 Ports
# USBHD: NONE
# VIDEO: NVIDIA GeForce GTX295 1.7GB 16X PCIe Video Card [+463] (EVGA Powered by NVIDIA [+5])
# VIDEO2: None
# VIDEO3: None
# VC_GAMES: FREE GAME - Street Fighters IV
# VIDEOCAMERA: NONE
# WNC: Zonet ZEW1642 IEEE 802.11b/g/n Draft 2.0 PCI Wireless Adapter Network Card [+29]
# _PRICE: (+2575)
# _view_: list
$2,575.00 x 1 $2,575.00
Coupon: INSTANT (5% Discount) -$128.75
SUBTOTAL $2,446.25

PsYcHoZeRoSk8eR
08-19-2009, 12:08 AM
Very nice. Do you know how long until you will have it?

MrRubix
08-19-2009, 12:11 AM
A few weeks. I'm still debating whether or not I should get a 22 or 24 inch monitor, given that I am using a 295 Geforce video card.

MrRubix
08-19-2009, 12:58 AM
I said **** it -- went for the 24 inch.

MrRubix
08-22-2009, 11:09 PM
I just pulled the trigger and bought all the following:

Qty / Items / Price

LG 22X DVD±R DVD Burner with LightScribe Black SATA Model GH22LS30 LightScribe Support - OEM
$25.99

Antec Twelve Hundred Black Steel ATX Full Tower Computer Case - Retail
$169.99

ASUS VK246H Black 24" 2ms(GTG) HDMI Widescreen LCD Monitor - Retail
$219.99

EDIMAX EW-7728In 32bit PCI Wireless 802.11n Draft 2.0 PCI Card - Retail
$34.99

CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX 850W ATX12V 2.2 / EPS12V 2.91 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready Active PFC Power Supply - Retail
$139.99

2 COMBO DEALS:
OCZ Gold 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Low Voltage Desktop Memory Model OCZ3G1600LV6GK - Retail
+
Western Digital Caviar Black WD1001FALS 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drives - OEM
$425.96
($212.98 each)

1 COMBO DEAL
EVGA 017-P3-1295-AR CO-OP Edition GeForce GTX 295 1792MB 896 (448 x 2)-bit DDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI

Supported ... - Retail
+
Intel Core i7 920 Nehalem 2.66GHz LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Processor Model BX80601920 - Retail
$734.98

Nvidia Gift - Batman: Arkham Asylum - Retail
$0.00

1 COMBO DEAL
GIGABYTE GA-EX58-UD4P LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail
+
Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium SP1 64-bit for System Builders w/ Tech Guarantee - OEM
$339.98

Prolimatech Megahalem (CPU heatsink)
$59.99

Scythe S-FLEX SFF21E 120mm Case Fan - Retail
$16.99

Total (after shipping/promo/etc): $2,183.00

When the new DX11 cards come out in a few months, I believe I can utilize EVGA's "Trade-Up" program to trade my GTX 295 for their newest model, which is supposedly like the 295, only it's able to achieve the same performance using one GPU (the 295 is a dual-GPU card), killing off any scaling issues the 295 may have had (hah).

MrRubix
08-30-2009, 11:45 AM
These pics were kinda taken as I went along, so there were all sorts of changes made here and there (mainly because I had no idea what I was doing, as I am a hardware newbie).

The 24-inch ASUS flatscreen plus a fleeting glimpse at my front toes
http://img35.imageshack.us/img35/316/dsc00455gxv.jpg

The Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD4P Motherboard just chillin on a beachtowel, enjoying its last moment that it had to itself before the inevitable gangbanging by all the other parts of the system.
http://img193.imageshack.us/img193/2484/dsc00451zlt.jpg

12 total GB of DDR3 1600 OCZ Gold RAM. That'll last for a while.
http://img35.imageshack.us/img35/9427/dsc00453xnm.jpg

The Antec 1200 case, empty except for a fitted Corsair 850W Power Supply Unit. This is where I just kinda stared at it for an hour, not really sure where to begin.
http://img216.imageshack.us/img216/4075/dsc00454p.jpg

After throwing in a few things, I took more pics... this is a pic of the video card and the dual 1 TB hard drives. 2 TB of room gives you a lot of room for... media.
http://img30.imageshack.us/img30/7150/dsc00460c.jpg

Some optional fan holding thing that came with the case. Notice what's in it. That's my response to optional fan holders.
http://img507.imageshack.us/img507/1592/dsc00461m.jpg

The upper bay with the optical drive. It burns/reads/writes DVD's and CD's, and that's about it. I figured having BluRay capabilities wasn't really worth it yet.
http://img507.imageshack.us/img507/7813/dsc00462f.jpg

The i7 920 CPU... little does he know he's about to get a faceful of heatsink
http://img507.imageshack.us/img507/2532/dsc00464o.jpg

Behold! My absurdly massive, overcompensating behemoth of a heatsink: The Prolimatech Megahalem
http://img441.imageshack.us/img441/3889/dsc00481p.jpg

Another view of the heatsink. The thermal compound used was Arctic Silver 5.
http://img44.imageshack.us/img44/7372/dsc00480etg.jpg

There was another optional fan holder on the side of the case... so I got a fan for it.
http://img19.imageshack.us/img19/3305/dsc00472k.jpg

The heatsink needed lovin too
http://img12.imageshack.us/img12/3184/dsc00473hfu.jpg

Back end of the wireless card. Looks kinda gangly.
http://img199.imageshack.us/img199/6718/dsc00466x.jpg

Okay, so the case fans are four-pin Molexes...
http://img23.imageshack.us/img23/7855/dsc00469jdu.jpg

WHAT THE HELL IS THIS, the optional fans are all three-pin!? FUUUUUUUU-
http://img8.imageshack.us/img8/4388/dsc00470oui.jpg

**** wasn't going to work unless I figured out what the hell to do with all these.
http://img23.imageshack.us/img23/2751/dsc00471mbt.jpg

After I finished wiring... I couldn't help but notice how messy the PSU cables were. It looked like a bomb went off in a pile of snakes and sent guts out all over the place.
http://img402.imageshack.us/img402/2708/dsc00508m.jpg

Meanwhile, the top half of the case looked like it was growing veins and was about to become sentient.
http://img93.imageshack.us/img93/4759/dsc00507v.jpg

Finished! I fixed most of the messy wiring by putting everything I didn't need behind the motherboard plate... looked a lot cleaner.
http://img93.imageshack.us/img93/232/dsc00509.jpg

Front side of the case in the dark
http://img42.imageshack.us/img42/6407/dsc00534w.jpg

Side view. Fan totals: Three frontal intake fans, one central intake fan to help cool the GFX card, a side intake fan to help cool the PSU and GFX card, the fan in the PSU to cool itself, the fan in the GFX card to cool itself, a fan on the heatsink, two exhaust fans in the back, plus...
http://img35.imageshack.us/img35/9498/dsc00537l.jpg

...a huge 200mm fan on the very top of the system. This sucker is massive and looks like a jet turbine.
http://img53.imageshack.us/img53/6884/dsc00511g.jpg

With a little bit of light, we can see that things look a lot cleaner now.
http://img35.imageshack.us/img35/2152/dsc00538v.jpg

I couldn't really make the PSU cabling look much better -- all I really did was feed unused cables up through the back, kept the used PCI-E's in front, and ran both of the Molex chains up the back and had them poke in only when needed. SATA cables suck, BTW.
http://img35.imageshack.us/img35/6186/dsc00540rug.jpg

The tower, screen, and laptop in the same shot. Sooo many things glowing all at once. Now that this system is built, I can finally use it to play a good game of Minesweeper or Solitaire.
http://img42.imageshack.us/img42/1120/dsc00543p.jpg

SYSTEM SPECS:
Antec 1200 Full Tower Case
GIGABYTE GA-EX58-UD4P Motherboard
Intel i7 920 Processor with D0-Stepping
Prolimatech Megahalem heatsink
Arctic Silver 5 thermal compound
12 GB DDR3 OCZ Gold RAM
Two 1 TB 7200 RPM Hard Drives
EVGA GeForce GTX 295 1792 MB Video Card
LG DVD/CD R/RW Drive with LightScribe Support
Corsair 850W Power Supply Unit
Edimax Wireless Adapter (802.11b/g/n)
ASUS 24" HDMI Widescreen LCD Monitor
Windows Vista 64-Bit Version (with free upgrade to Windows 7)
A ****load of fans
Extra sound blasting provided by my Logitech Z-2300, which I had purchased at the start of summer

The computer has been named "Optimus," as well :P

Zageron
08-30-2009, 11:51 AM
Hey! That's my computer, except better parts of each thing. xD

Nice system man, enjoy it and get ready to have to upgrade in less than 3 years.

Brycexx
08-30-2009, 11:58 AM
that is one beast of a heatsink

Ice wolf
08-30-2009, 12:15 PM
That's just ridiculous. lol Except for maybe the monitor. What is it's resolution and ppi? Large monitors usually have horrible ppi numbers and thus look really blurry. Compare: 15 in. laptop screen with a 1920x1200 resolution and a 24 in. monitor screen with a 1920x1200 resolution. It's why I'll only buy laptops.

iluswirl
08-30-2009, 12:23 PM
Can't call it optimus unless that keyboard is the optimus keyboard..

Cause THIS (http://www.artlebedev.com/everything/optimus/) would make it optimus.

A2P
08-30-2009, 12:36 PM
A $1600+ keyboard...no thanks

MrRubix
08-30-2009, 12:42 PM
It's not blurry at all -- at 1920x1080 it looks amazing

fido123
08-30-2009, 12:44 PM
That's just ridiculous. lol Except for maybe the monitor. What is it's resolution and ppi? Large monitors usually have horrible ppi numbers and thus look really blurry. Compare: 15 in. laptop screen with a 1920x1200 resolution and a 24 in. monitor screen with a 1920x1200 resolution. It's why I'll only buy laptops.

Or you can just buy a good monitor? Laptops are twice as much as Desktops and you can't upgrade them.

Phynx
08-30-2009, 02:00 PM
Meh, I'm waiting for Windows 7 to actually be released. At that time then I'll redesign myself a new computer. Parts will inevitably be better then anyway so yeah XD

leonid
08-30-2009, 02:08 PM
*spills a cup of coffee over Optimus*

Ice wolf
08-30-2009, 02:10 PM
Or you can just buy a good monitor? Laptops are twice as much as Desktops and you can't upgrade them.
I actually prefer laptops overall, but can you make any suggestions for monitors?

MrRubix
08-30-2009, 02:11 PM
:[

rqm
08-30-2009, 02:16 PM
i mean nice build, lots of money but simply pouring in cash takes the fun out of building a computer.

MrRubix
08-30-2009, 03:03 PM
Yeah, putting it together was actually a lot of fun -- much better than having it premade. Figured it was something I needed to learn sometime.

PsYcHoZeRoSk8eR
08-30-2009, 05:19 PM
That looks pretty tight. I really want to update my computer, but I don't have any money to spend/waste on something like that.a

fido123
08-30-2009, 05:27 PM
I actually prefer laptops overall, but can you make any suggestions for monitors?

I have a 22" Widescreen Benq that's doing pretty good. Sony also makes some pretty good stuff. I understand wanting a laptop though if you're not one to sit at desk. I just have a ****ty laptop for word processing at college.

justaguy
08-31-2009, 04:38 PM
congrats on making a lot of unnecessary purchases

MrRubix
09-5-2009, 06:05 AM
I've learned SO much about hardware and chip architecture and overclocking in the past few weeks... this **** is insane. I managed to get a killer overclock with the following settings (took hours to get with LOTS of extensive reboot testing. Finding those voltages is a bitch):

Clock Ratio 20x
Turbo Boost enabled
Hyperthreading disabled
C1E disabled
QPI Link Speed x36
Uncore QPI Link Speed x36
Uncore Frequency x16
Backclock Frequency: 200
Performance Enhance: Turbo
System Memory Multiplier: 6.0

RAM timings on 6/6/6/18 command rate 2

Load Line Calibration: Enabled
VCore: 1.325
QPI/VTT: 1.335
IOH Core: 1.22
DRAM: 1.640
All advanced voltage settings on Auto except VCore, VTT, IOH, and DRAM voltage

4.2 Ghz achieved, 50C idle, 70C load

I'm currently running Prime95 to keep all four cores at 70C 100% load for about 10, 12 hours or so. If it doesn't crash, it's stable like fuc.

Patashu
09-5-2009, 06:48 AM
with my new found computerpowers I will finally AAA free space

you'll see, tass, you'lll seeee

MrRubix
09-5-2009, 07:07 AM
I am now trying to overclock my GTX 295 video card... mwauawuahahahahah

banditcom
09-5-2009, 07:46 PM
That heatsink ......................................... Overcompensating for something? :P

MrRubix
09-5-2009, 07:57 PM
It's probably the only reason I am stable at 4.2 Ghz on air right now... that thing is a heatsucker

MrGiggles
09-5-2009, 09:34 PM
My heatsink is the biggest thing in my case. I use it to cool my drinks too.

I hope you fry all your stuff and then learn a lesson about buying excessively expensive computers. =(

Xandertrax
09-5-2009, 09:40 PM
How loud is that thing, with all those fans?

MrRubix
09-7-2009, 04:29 AM
This computer was only $2200. Well worth it.

AC1speakerbox
09-7-2009, 02:58 PM
Nice get Rubix.

Also mods, please don't lock this. I subscribed to it, and I like the reminders it gives me (to look for a decent computer).

JennyXoXo
09-8-2009, 08:57 AM
Awesome computer man :D

I like the blue led lights (http://www.ledlightswarehouse.com). Mine is so plain that I wish I had something like that.

My desktop is years old; I need a new one for gaming bad. How do you like your i7?

I was thinking about getting an i5 instead...

MrGiggles
09-8-2009, 11:52 AM
only $2200*snicker*

Okay, but when you decide to upgrade again, try just moderately updating a few components every two years or so instead of trying to future-proof that **** again. Really, you'll save so much money. You could always send some to me so I can fulfill my devastating hookers and blow habit.

MrRubix
09-8-2009, 02:18 PM
Thing is, I like the fact that this computer is overkill. It was well worth the price premium.

ohnoitsbonnie
09-11-2009, 03:36 AM
Nice rig man!

Fast Fingered Fiend
10-14-2010, 08:28 AM
Funny how you can get all the **** in here by like half the price and a computer wayyy better than this at a couple less hundred dollars lol

Red_Comet
10-14-2010, 09:01 AM
this thread is over a year old, of course he'd get everything for a couple hundred less now. please try not to bump dead threads again it's a bit annoying.

devonin
10-14-2010, 09:13 AM
this thread is over a year old, of course he'd get everything for a couple hundred less now. please try not to bump dead threads again it's a bit annoying.

While this thread is definitely defunct since Rubix got the system he was asking about, since the site was DOWN for a year, bumping threads from late 2009 isn't bumping, or necromancy, it's just continuing to use the forum.

Bumping threads whose purpose has passed, or that are old by the standards of pre-downtime dates will still get the thread locked, and possibly some other things, but there's nothing inherantly wrong with picking up a thread where it left off at the downtime.

MrRubix
10-14-2010, 09:23 AM
My computer, even today, still beasts everything on the market. I had since added a second GTX 295 to kick Quad SLI into effect. Obviously you can get this stuff cheaper today.

It'll beast things for a long while to come -- since this thread, the GTX 400 series and new ATI series have been released (DX11 cards), but I won't bother getting anything new until a few years down the line.

DAD1
10-14-2010, 09:26 AM
http://people.ict.usc.edu/~pynadath/images/hal-9000-eye.jpg

Zageron
10-14-2010, 09:31 AM
So basically your computer will destay any game that doesn't use DX11.

Which is every game... except like 3?

MrRubix
10-14-2010, 09:35 AM
It'll even destroy DX11 games. The GTX 295 still does just fine with DX11 -- it just doesn't support the super-spiffy DX11-card-specific features like the hardware tessellation.

But yeah DX11 games aren't really out there yet anyway.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_games_with_DirectX_11_support

Out of everything in this list I only care about Crysis 2 and Deus Ex: Human Revolution. It's funny to look at things from the start of this thread when I didn't know anything about hardware (now I feel that I know quite a bit more).

Red_Comet
10-14-2010, 10:08 AM
i heard dirt 2 is a trip with DX11, might get a 5970 along with it in a few weeks when I plan to get home time for Thanksgiving.

MrRubix
10-14-2010, 10:14 AM
I hear ATI is actually beating out NVidia this time around

The 5970 apparently rapes the face off of the GTX 480.

Unfortunately I can't just take out my 295 and replace it -- I think, even with my fulltower case, it'd be too cramped to get a longer card (I'd need like another inch or two to make it even fit in my fulltower case). Not only that, but since the shippers botched up the computer when I came to NY, the PCI slot lever was snapped off. It'd be hard to even *remove* the card.

Red_Comet
10-14-2010, 10:18 AM
some versions do, like the sapphire toxic version, but overall they're about even steven when comparing and contrasting.

MrRubix
10-14-2010, 10:20 AM
Yes I refer to the Sapphire, sorry.

The 480 is currently the world's fastest single-GPU, but the 5970 is a dual-gpu single-slot card (like the GTX 295) and ultimately edges out. I want to see how the upper-end dual-GPU NVidia card holds. Right now everyone seems to be using Heaven Benchmark to help judge the differences.

Fast Fingered Fiend
10-14-2010, 11:35 AM
I've actually been trying to look for a good place to find brand new gtx 295's. But all I get is unavailable links or just ebay stuff (I'd rather not purchase from there), Although I also heard that the 9800gx2 is pretty beast

EDIT:

Yes I refer to the Sapphire, sorry.

The 480 is currently the world's fastest single-GPU, but the 5970 is a dual-gpu single-slot card (like the GTX 295) and ultimately edges out. I want to see how the upper-end dual-GPU NVidia card holds. Right now everyone seems to be using Heaven Benchmark to help judge the differences.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LptlSw4ypeY

MrRubix
10-14-2010, 11:53 AM
I've actually been trying to look for a good place to find brand new gtx 295's. But all I get is unavailable links or just ebay stuff (I'd rather not purchase from there), Although I also heard that the 9800gx2 is pretty beast

EDIT:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LptlSw4ypeY

Dude there's no point in comparing a 295 to a 5970 lmfao. I don't even have to watch this video to know that the 5970 is going to beast it by at least 10 FPS on average. 295 still holds its own, and it will for a long while to come. Crysis is a notoriously poorly-coded game and relies on some pretty inefficient algorithms for the way certain visual effects are drawn. Nevertheless, 295 was an overkill card a year ago, and so it's going to take a while until it leaves something to be desired.

MrGiggles
10-14-2010, 12:12 PM
I hear ATI is actually beating out NVidia this time around

Unfortunately I can't just take out my 295 and replace it -- I think, even with my fulltower case, it'd be too cramped to get a longer card (I'd need like another inch or two to make it even fit in my fulltower case). Not only that, but since the shippers botched up the computer when I came to NY, the PCI slot lever was snapped off. It'd be hard to even *remove* the card.
Indeed, brand superiority tends to follow cycles, and right now it's ATI's time to shine while Fermi sets computers on fire.

MrGiggles
10-14-2010, 12:21 PM
ohi mass i didn't know you were still alive
scraping by as a web designer must be hard work
No man that's gazeebo.

Unless they're the same person it's hard to track alts sometimes.

I still think he's right though. That's waaaaay too much dough to blow on a build at one time

MrRubix
10-14-2010, 12:22 PM
scientific is gazeebo. gazeebo is mass. scientific is therefore mass. all are equal wastes of space.

Also, it really depends on what you're building for, Giggles. You can always save money by buying a medium machine at a reasonable price to be able to play what you want, but then you're constantly needing to upgrade to shift with the times (and if you're like me, you want to ensure you can max every setting you can). If you can afford to splurge and have a rig that'll hold its own for a long time before you need to consider upgrading anything, then the premium is well worth the utility.

I make a very decent salary now and so 2-3k isn't a lot to spend on a machine that I use frequently.

scientific
10-14-2010, 12:52 PM
just because you have enough money to do it doesnt justify spending way too much money.

especially when you could build an equally powerful computer for less

Izzy
10-14-2010, 01:12 PM
I doubt you could build an equally powerful computer for less. There wouldn't be any point in buying a piece of hardware that has the same performance as another but costs twice as much. I don't think that is what they are doing here.

I would agree that is a waste of money if you rarely ever use your computer to its potential. You don't need a 400 dollar graphics card to browse the web and play ffr.

I used to use my expensive laptop around campus and then I realized I just wanted something to browse the internet so I bought a netbook and I have loved it ever since.

Fast Fingered Fiend
10-14-2010, 01:15 PM
http://people.ict.usc.edu/~pynadath/images/hal-9000-eye.jpg

Droid Does no not really

MrRubix
10-14-2010, 02:53 PM
just because you have enough money to do it doesnt justify spending way too much money.

especially when you could build an equally powerful computer for less

yeah ok sport good luck with that

considering everything I put in my machine @ $2000 or so (including monitor, great sound system, etc), it was very reasonably priced. it's by no means "spending way too much money." the standard of equipment here is constant. the question is how much less you could buy said items for and whether or not the parts *themselves* are overkill.

in this case, even if you could somehow find the parts for less, you are likely buying them from supersketch third-party vendors/off craigslist/ebay/etc and you lose a fair bit of guarantee. Most of my parts were from Newegg, with cheaper equivalents purchased from other reliable vendors that happened to have lower overall costs. A ripoff might be buying a $250 dollar computer for $800. In this case, at that point in time, I think you would have had an extremely challenging time keeping that entire system under $2k.

MrRubix
10-14-2010, 03:00 PM
Droid Does no not really

if i had hal9000 in my droid i would **** bricks
PS: I've owned a Nexus One for a while and it's served me pretty well

ninjaKIWI
10-14-2010, 03:25 PM
I hear ATI is actually beating out nVidia this time around

Well, that's what you get for a 200-300 dollar premium over the 480. Personally I've always had problems with AA and such with AMD's cards, I'm sticking with nVidia.

In my opinion dual GPU cards are just silly anyways, until PCI-E 3.0 makes its debut.

MrRubix
10-14-2010, 03:28 PM
I'm personally holding off until my current system is unable to run games I want at max settings with smooth performance.

Izzy
10-14-2010, 04:29 PM
I'm personally holding off until my current system is unable to run games I want at max settings with smooth performance.

Which will be like 5-7 years.

I still have a quad core 2.5 ghz and a 9800 gtx and am having no issues. Will probably update within a year or two.

Fast Fingered Fiend
10-14-2010, 04:38 PM
k, so I'm thinking of getting this:

i7 950
asus sabertooth mobo
ati 5970
corsair 750w psu
wd 1tb
12gb ddr3 1333
coolermaster hafx
corsair h50

any objections? (except price and buying an expensive computer h0h0h0)

xxxim_a_noobxxx
10-14-2010, 04:40 PM
eh i piad 800$ for my quad core 8 gigs ram 1 tb ati 5450 works great with sc2 wow cod on all high settings

Izzy
10-14-2010, 04:46 PM

i7 950
asus sabertooth mobo
ati 5970
corsair 750w psu
wd 1tb
12gb ddr3 1333
coolermaster hafx
corsair h50

I prefer two 500 GB HD's instead of 1 terabyte HD.

Fast Fingered Fiend
10-14-2010, 04:49 PM
Can you elaborate?

ninjaKIWI
10-14-2010, 04:51 PM

i7 950
asus sabertooth mobo
ati 5970
corsair 750w psu
wd 1tb
12gb ddr3 1333
coolermaster hafx
corsair h50

The only difference between the 920 and the 950 is that the 950 is at 3.06ghz stock. Save money and buy a 920 and overclock it to 4.0ghz. I'd also suggest getting faster RAM but less capacity, I'd much rather have 6GB of 1600mhz than 12gb of 1333mhz.

Very nice motherboard choice, but I think that for a 1366 setup I would rather go with the MSi Big Bang, since everything seems to be moving towards PCI-E.

I want to say something about your 5970 but I feel like everyone will just yell at me about how it's future proofing and etc.

MrGiggles
10-14-2010, 05:06 PM
It's soooooo much cheaper to build a middling computer and purchase 1 new component per year. More effort? Sure. But you save several grand. Seriously what is wrong with you people I always see these stupid builds and everyone laughs at it.

I guess Rubix's is okay since his situation apparently involves excess dough and insurmountable laziness but godDAMN

Is this for gaming? Go i5. It's all you need, i9's will never max out.

Izzy
10-14-2010, 05:10 PM
Can you elaborate?

If your harddrive dies I'd rather only lose half of my information then all of it. Plus you only wasted 50 dollars for a 500 GB HD then 100 for a terabyte.

The more smaller harddrives you have the more data transferring you can do, due to multiple sata cables.. Well due to having multiple harddrives obviously. It's about the same price so I don't see why not.

You can usually get two 500 GB HD's at 7200 rpm for the same price as a 5000 rpm terabyte HD.

ninjaKIWI
10-14-2010, 05:10 PM
It's soooooo much cheaper to build a middling computer and purchase 1 new component per year. More effort? Sure. But you save several grand. Seriously what is wrong with you people I always see these stupid builds and everyone laughs at it.

I guess Rubix's is okay since his situation apparently involves excess dough and insurmountable laziness but godDAMN
Urgurgrug EXACTLY.

The 5970 is an over hyped and overpriced piece of junk, there's no reason to spend so much money on it. 12GB of RAM is worthless because you're never going to need it unless you're doing some sort of 3D rendering.

Izzy
10-14-2010, 05:15 PM
Agreed, there is no reason to have so much ram. You could maybe use 6 gigs if you have 20 large applications open at the same time as working on large pictures in photoshop.

MrRubix
10-14-2010, 05:25 PM
Fast Fingered Fiend:

You don't need 12 GB. You can probably get away with 6 -- 8 tops.
I've had no problems with my 1 TB drive but odds are you can get away with a few 500's just for risk purposes, especially if you have enough room in your case.
I also recommend the i7 920. Lower price, and yet it overclocks up there with the best of them. It runs hot, so you'll need a good heatsink. I recommend what I got for my own machine -- a Prolimatech Megahalem.
I'd also get a beefier PSU -- maybe 850W.

I should also add that it's easier to overclock with less RAM.
Get some decent-quality RAM, too, like Corsair Dominators or OCZ Gold or Kingston.

MrRubix
10-14-2010, 05:28 PM

Is this for gaming? Go i5. It's all you need, i9's will never max out.

How on earth is it laziness? It doesn't require that much more effort to buy a "middling" computer.

As long as your processor hits 3.0-3.5 Ghz, you'll be fine for a while. I notice no real difference in my current-day gaming performances when I operate at 3 vs 4 GHz, all else equal. But if you're going to get an uber video card, you need an uber machine to go with it or else you're just wasting money and bottlenecking its potential.

MrGiggles
10-14-2010, 05:31 PM
How on earth is it laziness? It doesn't require that much more effort to buy a "middling" computer.

As long as your processor hits 3.0-3.5 Ghz, you'll be fine for a while. I notice no real difference in my current-day gaming performances when I operate at 3 vs 4 GHz, all else equal. But if you're going to get an uber video card, you need an uber machine to go with it or else you're just wasting money and bottlenecking its potential.
I thought you said you didn't want to bother with upgrading a component every couple months/years? Maybe I'm mistaken. That's not really laziness, I guess. Just imprecise speech on my part.

MrRubix
10-14-2010, 05:32 PM
I thought you said you didn't want to bother with upgrading a component every couple months/years? Maybe I'm mistaken.

That's only an upside side-effect. I got the uber machine because I get great pleasure from being able to throw every game out there at my computer and have it get completely beasted at uber-max settings, and I like the idea that this will happen for quite a few years.

When I see a preview for a pretty game, I already know it's going to look that way on my machine at its maximal quality.

ninjaKIWI
10-14-2010, 05:53 PM
Fast Fingered Fiend:
I've had no problems with my 1 TB drive but odds are you can get away with a few 500's just for risk purposes, especially if you have enough room in your case.
It runs hot, so you'll need a good heatsink. I recommend what I got for my own machine -- a Prolimatech Megahalem.
I'd also get a beefier PSU -- maybe 850W.

I'm not too fond of HDDs over 500GB just because it's always faster to have a lower capacity. Less seek time, and less fragmentation. I've never had any problems with HDD failure so I can't really comment on that. All I know is stay away from Maxtor drives.

The Megahalem is probably one of the best in air cooling solutions you can get, but I definitely recommend the H50 or the H70 over any air cooling.

It's always good to have a little buffer of extra power. Having too much is no problem, and leaves room for future upgrades should they require more.

Fast Fingered Fiend
10-14-2010, 05:55 PM
i7 920 is out of stock on newegg and the 950 is like 6$ away from the cheapest 1366 so yeah. About the heatsink, the corsair h50 is liquid cooling. The hard drive, I'll go with a small ssd for the OS, and a 640gb for mah stuff. And about the 5970, the specs and benchmarks say it all so shush xD

ninjaKIWI
10-14-2010, 06:01 PM
i7 920 is out of stock on newegg and the 950 is like 6$ away from the cheapest 1366 so yeah. About the heatsink, the corsair h50 is liquid cooling. The hard drive, I'll go with a small ssd for the OS, and a 640gb for mah stuff. And about the 5970, the specs and benchmarks say it all so shush xD

While the 5970 is at the top at the moment, you're paying a pretty big premium for not that much of a performance boost. AMD cards seem to have a few problems with things like AA and AF (While the Fermi cards are practically made for handling that). I've also heard that the x58 chipset has some trouble dealing with AMD cards.