Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > General Discussion > Technology
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-12-2013, 01:25 AM   #1
Mollocephalus
Custom User Title
FFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to Mollocephalus
Default I need an external HDD to archive a lifetime of files and i want it to be good. Help!

Let's start by saying i already own two external hard disks, one of 2TB and one of 1TB. i am looking for something a little more than that so everything i have can fit on one high quality hard disk. This disk should always be disconnected and i want to keep it just in case something goes wrong with my computer or my other hard disks. Now, i am completely ignorant about this matter. Does anyone have some suggestions?
Old 11-12-2013, 09:17 AM   #2
EzExZeRo7497
FFR Veteran

Default Re: I need an external HDD to archive a lifetime of files and i want it to be good. H

Fission wanted to post this but he's banned:
one "high quality drive" is a terrible idea because regardless of what it is advertised as, you are banking on the fact that it isn't going to fail and you have no recourse when it does. refer to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RAID and use multiple hard drives for proper redundancy.

Last edited by EzExZeRo7497; 11-12-2013 at 09:22 AM..
EzExZeRo7497 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 02:47 PM   #3
Mollocephalus
Custom User Title
FFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to Mollocephalus
Default Re: I need an external HDD to archive a lifetime of files and i want it to be good. H

I'll do just that, thanks
Old 11-12-2013, 06:07 PM   #4
choof
Banned
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

if you don't want to shell out money for a RAID controller, the best route would be RAID 1

this way, if you lose one of your drives, you can simply swap it out and it will automatically start copying to the new one

also, don't forget cloud services, you can store all of your files on a file server (they will have way more redundancy than you will ever have) and pay a monthly fee to make sure they don't lose them
choof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 02:01 AM   #5
Ghakimx
Cutie&Handshaking Sounds
FFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to Ghakimx
Post Re: I need an external HDD to archive a lifetime of files and i want it to be good. H

Firstly, you need to know a bit more about what you want:
  1. Is this an internal or external hard drive?
  2. What is the capacity you are aiming for?
  3. What kind of computer are you using it for? (Desktop, laptop)

So for the first question, if its an internal hard drive, you should combo it with RAID for higher speed and reliability. I am unable to explain more about RAID technology, so I'll skip that topic. If its an external hard drive, there are also 2 types;

1. External Desktop Hard Drives
2. Portable Hard Drives

If its the one that is mainly used for storage and will stay on location, on your computer, then a desktop drive is what you want. Its less expensive and has higher storage capacity for price, but of course, you can't really lug it around and it requires external power.

Portable drives however are meant to share data with. This is the best solution in my opinion, since I can play SM anywhere.

Second question, since you already have 2TB and 1TB respectively, another 1TB or 2TB is fine, since its quite cheap already. Don't need to be a 4TB holder unless you're doing film.

Third, if you're using a desktop, then a desktop hard drive or portable is fine. For laptops, portable seems to be the only viable option.

Hope this helps you out!

I AM ASHAMED OF MY STUPIDITY AND MUST COMMIT SEPPUKU. FORGIVE ME, FFR.

Ninjas NEVER die. Now on a 30 kill streak.
Ghakimx is offline   Reply With Quote