Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > Flash Flash Revolution > FFR General Talk > Contested Chart Difficulties
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 06-3-2012, 01:05 AM   #241
Coolboyrulez0
VICES
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Music ProducerFFR Veteran

Default Re: New Difficulty System Name Suggestions

Impossible / Godly / Insane
Old 06-3-2012, 01:10 AM   #242
bmah
shots FIRED
Global Moderator, User Support, Judge
Global ModeratorFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolboyrulez0 View Post
Impossible / Godly / Insane
Impossible: a term that's clearly untrue in this game for at least the sake of passing (e.g. many have passed vROFL). I wouldn't use this because rarely is this word ever true.

Godly: I don't mind this as much. But the thing that itches me is that Godly in this case refers to the player's ability, and that is sorta assumed as such because a person playing a song of this difficulty must be "Godly", right? Nope. You can be a crap player and play this song. We need a term that is specific to the song itself.

Insane: Yeah, this one would fit.

So I don't really mind insane or ridiculous. Both seems to work fine. *shrugs*
Old 06-3-2012, 01:37 AM   #243
popsicle_3000
Legendary Noob
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to popsicle_3000

I like legendary. It goes w/ the master/guru and is the next step above that i think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by One Winged Angel View Post
39,000 popsicles pro bg blue note arrow slayer whoa damn..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xx{Midnight}xX View Post
one way to stream them all
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiz View Post
Right after sex, it skillboosted me by +10 levels from like a 35-45 about. (Which then 15 min's later I got really tired and couldn't play anymore)

But then my lady friend got pissed off I was playing FFR instead of playing her. Then for the rest of the night she played the 'Only want me for my body' card and I didn't get to sleep with blankets that night.
Quote:
Originally Posted by thesunfan View Post
replacing ifitypedhisnameaslargeashisnamesuggests,iwouldgetbanned with theelongatedaustrocanadian3000 (pop).
Quote:
Originally Posted by reuben_tate View Post
Title: Popsicle Three

Thousand the farthest
He's gone in an official
Whoop hip hip hooray!
Quote:
Originally Posted by U.N. Owen View Post
kjwkjw: "oh my god, Tosh. Post that in the thread."

@popsicle_3000:
Danger incoming
The popsicles are melting
Three thousand of them
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayward Vagabond View Post
you got to ease the topic into some conversation and let it go from there

dynam0: man friend that was an intense sm session right?
friend: haha yeah you really nailed those patterns
dynam0: yeah man kind of like how gay dudes nail other gay dudes in the ass!
friend: hey bro can i tell you something
dynam0 yeah man whats up?
friend: hypothetically speaking would you care if i was bisexual or maybe even gay?
dynam0: bro we shower together after sm sessions all the time and i'll still shower with you even if you are gay or w/e thats your thing just dont try to ram my ass HAHAHA
friend: thanks man
dynam0: no problem man
Quote:
Originally Posted by One Winged Angel View Post
pop takin' time out of playing irl Trauma Center to check in on his fiffer buds (mm)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiz View Post
Well, Popsicle won every award this year so it was canceled.
Old 06-3-2012, 11:33 AM   #244
Silvuh
quit
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Music ProducerFFR Veteran

Too many things to respond to. Sorry that this is going to be a disorganized mess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmah View Post
Insane: Yeah, this one would fit.
The problem with exchanging "Ridiculous" with "Insane" is that it doesn't fix the problem. That's just replacing one "crazy" word with another. I didn't use "Insane" in my previous post, because it is too close to "Intense" ... But because it seems like that suggestion won't be implemented, "Insane" would be a good word to switch with "Brutal". But more people have been in favor of removing "Ridiculous" and keeping "Brutal".
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimerax View Post
- We may need to confirm a few words that are widely-tolerated for hardest part. Currently it looks "Brutal", "Ridiculous", "Legendary", "Insane", "???" are supported by some people here.
My suggestion to use "Relentless/Ruthless" with "Brutal" got some support, too. And it's not that "???" was widely supported, it's that it was already said that it's not going to change, so people didn't change it in their lists.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmah View Post
Godly: I don't mind this as much. But the thing that itches me is that Godly in this case refers to the player's ability, and that is sorta assumed as such because a person playing a song of this difficulty must be "Godly", right? Nope. You can be a crap player and play this song. We need a term that is specific to the song itself.
This is the same argument that can be used against all the other rank words, but the appeal to tradition has overridden it in favor of keeping "Master" and "Guru" on the list. So if those aren't moving, why not add a couple more? If we do this, we go back to the old suggestion of using "Divine" after "Legendary", but that whole thing has already been debunked:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvuh View Post
If we're going to keep terms like "Master" and "Guru", "Legend" and "Divine" are good words to use past them to stay in the same theme.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nois-or-e View Post
The opinions of all 3 Game Managers is that we keep them to varying levels of difficulty, straying away from utilising words that define the ability required. If FFR had an exp. point based levelling system, the titles that yourself and Subin have provided would be perfect. But in the way of accurately defining the level of difficulty of files, we don't think that they are very suitable.
But we seem to be okay with adding "Expert" despite all this for some reason. I don't understand this and I'm not going to try to.

Next:
Quote:
I think we can shift the actual difficulty of a name for harder side by a bit, due to improvement of the engine and skill boost of people.
This argument is irritating me more now than when Otaku Speedvibe [Oni] became harder to unlock. That only affected those players around that skill level back then, but pushing all of the difficulties up the scale affects everyone, and everyone has not been skill-boosting.

Quote:
This may start from the "Should 11 be Difficult or "Challenging?" discussion.
There wasn't much actual discussion on this subject; it has just been people putting it one way or another in their lists and others agreeing or not. Originally, the OP had "Challenging" on 11, but a lot of people suggested "Difficult" be there in their lists without giving their reasoning why. (Maybe it was because the first list had already filled in 1-10 with other words, so people put "Difficult" in at 11 to move down "Challenging" and push "Demanding" out. But that reasoning ignores all the other issues.) So here's the way I see it right now:

Difficult
Pros:
- Reflects the skill boots a few notable players in the community have achieved.
- Fewer new "Hard" words have to be agreed on for the difficulty list.
Cons:
- Ignores the rest of the community that has not been skill-boosting: new and lower-division players who have not been gaining much skill are kicked down a few notches.
- More "Easy" words have to be agreed on for the difficulty list.

Challenging
Pros:
- More closely reflects the current difficulty list. Wanting the new list to be in line with the old list is an appeal to tradition, which isn't an argument in itself, but the "pro" here is that it's more encouraging to newer players.
- Fewer new "Easy" words have to be agreed on for the difficulty list.
Cons:
- More new "Hard" words have to be agreed on for the difficulty list, which there has been less agreement on.

Quote:
- Can "Beginner" and "Novice" co-exist? because they have similar meaning, if not exactly the same. "Beginner" sounds easier, though.
I agree that beginner sounds easier, but that doesn't change the fact the words mean the same thing. The dwi/ddr words "Simple" and "Basic" would be good to use somewhere in there. I didn't use them in my previous list because I wanted to minimize the number of "Easy" words. But that's just another suggestion of mine that hasn't seemed to get enough support.

Quote:
- "Light" "Standard" "Heavy" are used for the description of different charts, also "Standard" is already in old rating system, so they might be arguable.
Sadly, no one wants to argue against the use of these words anymore.

Quote:
- If we insert something after "Challenging", "Demanding" or "Intense"?
I'd think if there was any chance of this happening, Jae would have put it in one of his lists since the overwhelming disapproval of "Demanding" and "Very Demanding". "Intense" sounds better than "Demanding", though, and there's been some support for that. The main issue I see with the word "Intense" is that we wouldn't be able to use it with "Insane".

Here are a couple polls. Too bad I can't paste in the HTML vote box thing. These links aren't as attention-grabbing. I would appreciate it if these polls could be put into the OP to make sure they're seen ... if you decide they'll be useful.

Should difficulty 11 be "Challenging" or "Difficult"?

(Assuming difficulties 15–17 will be Expert, Master, and Guru)
What should difficulties 18 and 19 be? (If you click a "something else" option, post your suggestion.)

They might not be the most important questions, but it'd be interesting to see what more people think.

Last edited by Silvuh; 06-5-2012 at 08:19 PM..
Old 06-3-2012, 05:09 PM   #245
rayword45
Local Teenage Wastebasket
FFR Simfile AuthorD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by nois-or-e View Post
We've swapped out training, moved beginner down one and put novice into where beginner was.

Seems the final discussion before this goes live is if we really need to change Ridiculous.

The charts that will fall under the Ridiculous label are:

RATO
--
Death Piano
--
party 4u -holy nite mix-
--
Metro
Revolutionary Etude
--
do I smile?
Rave7
--
Crowdpleaser
The wisest were wrong
--
Winter Wind Etude
Husigi Usagi Milk Tei

Any suggestions? Things like Legendary reference something awesome/great, not something difficult. Currently the fact that to 99.9% of the community the above charts are Ridiculously hard seems to be the clincher...
Almost There could be a contender, but Dossar doesn't like that idea.

If WWE and Husigi are contenders, then I vouch for A Quick Death

BEST AAAs: WANDERLUST, Pandora, Necropotence, Mourning The Lost, Eradication, Feldschlacht

Hey, we need some users on this site. Please join.

And if you have not recommended any albums yet, do so. Please. I have a goal to reach. Here.
NO WAIT THAT SHIT'S OLD GO HERE INSTEAD.
Old 06-3-2012, 05:31 PM   #246
nois-or-e
SponCon Aficionado
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to nois-or-e Send a message via MSN to nois-or-e Send a message via Skype™ to nois-or-e

AQD is ranked within the highest 18 sub-group.